Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... St. Louis
 Blues extremely confident!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 09/23/2010 : 22:17:42
Just read an interesting article and apparently the Blues are very confident that they're going to be a playoff team. They are offering their season ticket holders to pay only half price for their tix. If the team makes the playoffs, they'll bill them the other half. If they fail to qualify for the playoffs, the tix are paid in full already!!! *Note, the article says that 600 tix are available and about 200 have already sold.

Beans, wasn't it you who figures they won't make it? How far's the commute for ya to St. Louis? You got a private jet? Might wanna get in there......

Seriously though, i can only imagine scalpers drooling at this!!!

Here's the article....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/st-louis-blues-offer-half-off-season-tickets-with-a-catch-092310

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Duke Posted - 10/16/2010 : 19:29:12
halak should put st.louis into the playoffs
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/16/2010 : 00:52:44
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

I think the Blues have a decent team. But, they also have a lot to compete with in the West, and in their conference.

I like the size of the Blues. They seem to have some big players both up front and on the back end.

They have a few guys who can score, but, do seem to lack scoring depth on paper. They did not add a lot of pieces this off-season, but in one sense that's a good thing. Their team should be accustomed to playing with each other, adding some overall team chemistry.

But, my big thing is, I like the Blues size. I'm unsure how they compare on average to other teams. But at a glance, they seem to have some bigger players.

I can see them battling for 8th.

Irvine/prez.

The best part is they still have almost 20 million to spend if they think they can make a run for the playoffs. Imagine what this team could look like at trade dealine.
irvine Posted - 10/15/2010 : 17:48:31
I think the Blues have a decent team. But, they also have a lot to compete with in the West, and in their conference.

I like the size of the Blues. They seem to have some big players both up front and on the back end.

They have a few guys who can score, but, do seem to lack scoring depth on paper. They did not add a lot of pieces this off-season, but in one sense that's a good thing. Their team should be accustomed to playing with each other, adding some overall team chemistry.

But, my big thing is, I like the Blues size. I'm unsure how they compare on average to other teams. But at a glance, they seem to have some bigger players.

I can see them battling for 8th.

Irvine/prez.
nux-suk Posted - 10/13/2010 : 22:09:15
interesting bet!!
I think Beans might be in trouble here. St.Louis is playing not too bad so far. They are also filling the penalty box with fighting majors, a sign of a team ready to gel. This will be good! I will folow this post all year. Good luck to both of you,
Alex116 Posted - 10/12/2010 : 00:48:23
Very early..............but, even in my MNF drunkeness...i`ll stick to my guns!

BTW....

Me now....

Me in the morning....
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/12/2010 : 00:17:14
Seem to be doing good so far. I'd fair to say better than ok so far.
Alex116 Posted - 09/28/2010 : 10:14:20
Deal, bet is on! Good luck to ya!
Beans15 Posted - 09/28/2010 : 09:24:29
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4904

I have a suggestion if Beans loses he changes his profile signature to go canucks if Alex loses he changes his signature to go Oilers

This was me I forgot to log on

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

Nice idea, i like it. Though i think it should be loser puts his sig as whatever the winner chooses? What'd'ya think Beans? Careful, if i win, i may decide on "I love Alex Burrows"....

As I said, the bet is the cash and the signature. What ever the winner wishes the loser to post as their signature (following forum guidelines of course) for the duration of the playoffs.

Bet??
Alex116 Posted - 09/27/2010 : 21:21:20
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

quote:

I have a suggestion if Beans loses he changes his profile signature to go canucks if Alex loses he changes his signature to go Oilers

Nice idea, i like it. Though i think it should be loser puts his sig as whatever the winner chooses? What'd'ya think Beans? Careful, if i win, i may decide on "I love Alex Burrows"....
Sensfan101 Posted - 09/27/2010 : 12:24:34
quote:

Alex116 Posted - 09/27/2010 : 12:15:03
Game on! I'd have said a case of beer rather than the $25 but with email money transfers, it's slightly easier to send you $25 and get you to buy your own brews than it is to mail you a case! Or vice versa of course

Now i have a reason to cheer for the Blues.....seems odd. lol

Beans15 Posted - 09/27/2010 : 10:50:03
quote:

Beans, you're a shrewd bettor, i like it! Thought i could weasel the 9th place is a wash thing, but you're tough. I'll go with playoffs or bust, i'm good with that!

As for the wager, no need to get physical, i'd pay up. I wasn't talking a ton of money, was thinking more along the lines of $25. I'd even be willing to email transfer you the money and if i win, you send me $50 later. I think you're good for it. However, if you'd prefer something else, by all means, i'm game. The signature thing is not a bad suggestion?

You are on for $25 and the Signature.

No need for any transfers, we'll have a little trust between gamblers to make good at the end of the season.

Beans15 wins if STL finishes 9th or worse

Alex116 wins in STL finishes 8th or better.

Bet.
Alex116 Posted - 09/26/2010 : 20:05:11
Beans, you're a shrewd bettor, i like it! Thought i could weasel the 9th place is a wash thing, but you're tough. I'll go with playoffs or bust, i'm good with that!

As for the wager, no need to get physical, i'd pay up. I wasn't talking a ton of money, was thinking more along the lines of $25. I'd even be willing to email transfer you the money and if i win, you send me $50 later. I think you're good for it. However, if you'd prefer something else, by all means, i'm game. The signature thing is not a bad suggestion?
Guest4904 Posted - 09/26/2010 : 15:00:57
Beans15 Posted - 09/26/2010 : 14:56:38
quote:

OK Beans....i'm ready for a bet!

You say Blues 10th, i say in the playoffs. Here's the deal.....If they finish 9th it's a draw, otherwise, we've got a winner! I pick 8th or better.

To summarize, you got 10th or worse, i have 8th or better, 9th is a wash.

Now, for the stakes? I'd love to do money (i'm a gambler), but will put up my avatar or whatever (you might need to help me if i lose?).....

What'd'ya say?

ps. this is a drunk post, but it still counts!

I already have my avatar on the line and I don't bet money with people I can't have a physical impact on if they don't pay up.

Also, if you say playoffs and I say no playoffs, then you get 8th or better and I get 9th or worse.

If you like those terms, I am down with a wager. However, we will have to decide what will be on the line.
Guest4544 Posted - 09/26/2010 : 14:10:04
i say alex pietrangelo wins the norris this year
Alex116 Posted - 09/26/2010 : 03:18:33
OK Beans....i'm ready for a bet!

You say Blues 10th, i say in the playoffs. Here's the deal.....If they finish 9th it's a draw, otherwise, we've got a winner! I pick 8th or better.

To summarize, you got 10th or worse, i have 8th or better, 9th is a wash.

Now, for the stakes? I'd love to do money (i'm a gambler), but will put up my avatar or whatever (you might need to help me if i lose?).....

What'd'ya say?

ps. this is a drunk post, but it still counts!
Beans15 Posted - 09/25/2010 : 19:51:36
Well, allow me to respond.

Detroit :

1) Jimmy Howard on paper is a sophmore, but he does have 72 regular season games and 12 playoff games. Compare that to Halak and his 101 regular season games and 21 playoff games and they are really not that far apart. If Detroit has goalie issue, does St. Louis also not have goalie issues??

2) The comment that Detroit's core is declining is an assumption. They still have Zetterberg and Datsyuk who are 2 of the best in the game and in their prime. Holmstrom and Franzen are coming off injury seasons however late last season when all those guys were healthy it was clear what they could do. Say what you will about Howards play, however in the games after the Olympics, Detroit produced 71 goals in 21 games. Good for 3.33 goals per game. If they are producing like that, they will win more than they lose. Pretty hard to say that it was Howard's play that got them into the playoffs with that kind of offensive production, no???

3) I also think you are missing some of the pick ups they made in the off-season. Patrick Eaves, Juri Hudler and Mike Modano will fill in their 3rd line nicely and give Detroit a very deep group of forwards. They also picked up Salei will fill in their defense along with Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Ericsson, and Stuart for a solid looking back end.

4) I also think Kenny Holland and his ability to find the diamonds when everyone else sees coal is being underestimated. They are also one of the best coached and most disciplined teams in the league.

Nashville :

1) Absolutely agree that the lose of Arnott will not be easy to fill. However, if Lombardi finds his form form last year it will pick up some of the slack.

2) The defense in Nashville took a step back when they lost Hamhuis, but they are still stonger than at least 1/2 the teams in the NHL.

3) Like Detroit, Nashville is one of the best coached and most disciplined teams in the league which goes a long way. They are also known for having a player step up and produce when he was overlooked by most teams (a la Patrik Hornqvist-7th round draft pick).

St. Louis, at least on paper, it still a mile behind Detroit and if ahead of Nashville, barely. Let's not forget Chicago in that division.

No one has be able to tell me anything about how St. Louis has improved other than their big player will be better. Well, their big player were better 2 seasons ago and they still produced 90 pts. Same as last year.

n/a Posted - 09/25/2010 : 18:07:12
I agree Beans, but:

Detroit
- has never had a starting goalie beginning his sophomore year, with no credible back-up behind him (that's Chris "my regular season sucks" Osgoode there, btw)
- their star core, once very formidable, is either old and declining (Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski, Homstrom) or coming off seasons with serious injuries or are oft-injured (Franzen, Zetterberg)
- they are trying to squeeze out first, maybe second line minutes from Bertuzzi

They only made it last year to the playoffs on Howard's great performance . . . expecting him to repeat is too hopeful, but possible (consider the past 10 great first year goalies and their 2nd year). I think they are a 9th, 8th place team, right on the cusp.

Nashville
It starts with captain Arnott leaving here, and that isn't just goals and assists and leadership. Arnott was a big, physical centre, pretty defensively responsible, and a big help on the power play. And, he was a huge steadying influence . . . yes, he was getting older, but it's a big hole he leaves behind.

The problem is the anemic offensive pieces, combined with very little defensive depth, and an unproven goalie. Lombardi can't replace Arnott, especially after his best season so far and probably getting overpaid because of it. Hamhuis leaves, and although Aaron Johnson comes back, it is also a step down.

Plus, they have Wade Belak . . . and their luck with goaltending has to run out sometime, with Rinne fairly unproven (although he looks good enough) and no real back-up.

I see a no-grit, soft team with weakish forwards and a shallow defence. They are going down.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 09/25/2010 : 13:38:58
So Slozo, what has Detroit and Nashville done(or not done) to regress so much??

Every year people comment on it's Detroit's year to fall and every year people say Nashville doesn't have a team to compete.

Every year, those people are wrong.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/25/2010 : 02:07:09
I dont know guys. I was looking over the rosters in the other central division teams, and I can see St louis as a 50/50 team in that division and better than most of the NW division teams. I know that they are lacking a true franchise forward that some will argue Backes/Boyes/Mcdonald could be, but after that the team has depth in all positions. Best part is with their current team with the few holes they have, they still have 19.8 million to spend if this looks like a playoff year. If they bring in a Souray and a top 6 forward like a Havlat/Demitra type player this team could really surprise.
Alex116 Posted - 09/24/2010 : 19:11:06
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

I have a pool magazine here that predicts St Louis to finnish first in the central division
. Wow ! I don't think so not with Chicago and Detroit into the mix.

You got your receipt? I'd be taking that mag back! Certainly would be a little nervous using it for a pool!

I'm closer to Slozo than i am Beans and i think they could finish 7th but more likely 8th!

Surely someone's gonna start a thread in the near future having us list our conference predictions (order of finish). I'll withhold my final judgement till then
n/a Posted - 09/24/2010 : 16:22:17
Frankly, I think at this point the Western Conference is overrated, and so is Detroit, which for the first time in a long while has quite a few questions. And I feel this is the year Nashville sinks to below 10th, out of the playoff race by the last month. Columbus will look like a farm team. Chicago will be very solid, but certainly have less wins with all the movement, one would think.

The conditions are finally good for once for the Blues to have a good season, and not be killed by a super tough division.

And Beans, you can't ignore your best players all having off - and some really bad - years, and yet still somehow competing. That is what impresses me about the makeup of this group . . . and why I think they will have a good year.

I will go out on a limb and say second in the division by a point or two over the Wings, 5th or 6th in the conference.

Leafs81 Posted - 09/24/2010 : 15:24:56
I'm with Beans on this one. I don't think St Louis has it to compete in the strong western conference. Like he said they are 3rd or 4th in their division battling with Nashville. The top two teams of each division makes it, Vancouver, Calgary, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Jose, and then two more teams to make it.

Then the next two in every division will fight for the spot with Anaheim, Dallas, Minnesota, Colorado, St Louis and Nashville. I think they are in the bottom three in that group. It's tough to say right now and many things can happen but on paper I look at Dallas and Minnesota and they don't look so bad. I predict those two will round up the top eight. Actually every team has a shot except Columbus. Phoenix and Nashville doesn't seem good but they always surprise.

So yeah to me St-Louis at ten makes a lot of sense. In the east they would make it but in the west the competition is just too harsh.

I have a pool magazine here that predicts St Louis to finnish first in the central division. Wow ! I don't think so not with Chicago and Detroit into the mix.
Beans15 Posted - 09/24/2010 : 13:07:49
The Blues had 90 pts 2 years ago and made the playoffs and 90 pts last season and missed the playoffs. They didn't play worst last season, the other teams got better! Not only that, but this 5 points out of the playoffs is a little bit diluted. They were 5 points behind COL(who also scrambled to get there) at the end of the year. They were a full 10 points and 7 wins behind the team in 7th place.

It's also really easy to say that players underacheived. But what about the guys that over acheived?? Everyone talks about Boyes, Bergland, and Tkachuk and their drop, but no one says anything about any players who had improved over the previous year. When you look at the entire roster of players that played both last season and the season before in STL, there was a total production drop of 6 points. Furthermore, 3 players(Kariya, MacDonald, and Steen) overproduced to the same level as Boyes, Backes, and Perron underacehived. Insignificant.

Ultimately, the STL team that produced a 90 point season in '08 and another 90 points season in '09 is the same team in '10 without Tkachuk and Kariya. Say what you will about those guys but the Blues will have to product 64 more points just to match what those two did last season. Mason and Halak is not such a noticable difference in net to confidently say things will be that much better.. St. Louis picked up no one new in free agency and no one can tell me that Stefan Della Rovere, Vladimir Sobotka, Vladimir Tarasenko, and T.J. Hensick are going to make a significant improvement.

Did St. Louis do enough or Nashville lose enough for STL to pick up the 7 win differential between the two clubs from last season??? That alone should answer the question regarding the playoffs.

Ultimately, we can mostly agree that the top 4 teams in the west (in no order) will be SJ, VAN, CHI, DET and the bottom 4 teams will be EDM, MIN, DAL, and CJB. That leaves ANA, COL, CAL, LA, PHX, NAS, and STL fighting for 4 playoff spots. Well, I don't think there is much anyone can tell me to say that LA is not the cream of that 2nd tier crop with Anaheim right behind them.

That being said, I still don't see STL as so head and shoulders above CAL or NAS and for everything I can see on paper, not more than tie with COL and PHX.

STL is good at 10th in the west.
nuxfan Posted - 09/24/2010 : 11:42:45
quote:
Beans, they only missed the playoffs by 4 or 5 points last year, a year in which many of their top guys underachieved! WIth the addition of Halak, albeit a goalie who's not proven himself over a full season, i think they're gonna be able to make the playoffs.

Agreed. Last year was a definite step back for many players in STL. If they can regain their form - or if even half of them can regain their form - they'll squeak into the playoffs

Beans - they played DET and CHI 12 times last year too... and missed the playoffs by 5 points.
Alex116 Posted - 09/24/2010 : 11:05:49
Beans, they only missed the playoffs by 4 or 5 points last year, a year in which many of their top guys underachieved! WIth the addition of Halak, albeit a goalie who's not proven himself over a full season, i think they're gonna be able to make the playoffs.

I still am not convinced that Calgary will be in. Aside from them, the other who didn't qualify are Anaheim, Dallas, Minny, Columbus and the Oilers. Which of those do you like to move up, Anaheim maybe? Even if another team does move up, you've got Pheonix, Nashville and Colorado who could easily drop. Phoenix still confuses many just as to how they did what they did, Nashville confused me every year that they end up much better in the standings than they look on paper and Colorado should be able to improve with a year under the belt for their rookies but could also suffer a slump. The others i don't see falling out of the playoffs but this leads me to believe that St. Louis will in fact make it!
Beans15 Posted - 09/24/2010 : 09:51:56
St. Louis is one of my teams that will drop the most. Their offense is ok in the top 6 but not brilliant. I would put most of Backes, Boyes, MacDonald, Bergland, Oshie, and Perron as their top 6 and they would be on the 2nd line on all but the weakest teams in the NHL. The rest of their forwards are below average.Their defense after Brewer and Johnson is morbid. Halak will have to have full season of what he did in the playoffs last year for the Blues to compete. Let's not forget they will play Chicago and Detroit a total of 12 games this season which will be tough. They will have 6 easy one's in Columbus but also a 6 game wash in Nashville.

I would venture to say they will be 3rd or 4th in their division which is almost like a 'wild card' type of position. Consider that often the top 2 teams in each division make the playoffs, I would suspect it will be SJ and LA in the Pacific, Van and either CAL or COL in the NW, and DET and CHI in the Central. That leaves 2 spots for PHX(who may choke this year), NASH, COL or CAL, ANA, and STL.

I don't see STL in the top 2 of that 'wild card' group.

STL will miss the playoffs. I am willing to wager on that.

PS Mason is gone. He signed with ATL. STL are going with Halak and Conklin.
n/a Posted - 09/24/2010 : 04:52:48
My thoughts exactly nuxfan, but it's been proven over and over and over again . . . only Canadians really care about hockey.

St. Louis is one of my picks to come back strong this season and make the playoffs, actually, so I am not surprised. They just had one of those years last season, and this young team is too talented, and Mason in goal I think will have a strong bounce back season.

I am picking them to battle for second in the division with Detroit, myself, but who knows . . . a lot of variables for both of those teams, so it's tough to say.

nuxfan Posted - 09/23/2010 : 22:39:24
quote:

Seriously though, i can only imagine scalpers drooling at this!!!

I'd be stunned if scalpers are making money selling Blues tix at all

An interesting method of getting people in the door though. Sometimes I wish I lived in an American hockey city...the money I'd save on my season tix!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page