Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Washington
 Ovechkin/Semin- Underpreforming?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Canucks Man Posted - 11/26/2010 : 07:11:36
In the thread about the interveiw dissruption a guest mentioned that 2 of the 3 players Involved were "underpreforming for the money they are paid" Now Clearly Kovalchuk is one of the players he was talking about. I just can't figure out who the other one is?? Semin is on pace for 50 Goals and 92 Points. Ovechkin is on pace for 102 points. Who is underpreforming?? You cannot be on pace for over 100 points or 50 goals and be underpreforming!!

CANUCKS RULE!!!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9884 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 16:46:52
Yeah, I was talking about Ovi. He is under underperforming (today's points will help with that a bit.) For who he is and with no games missed he should not be ten points off the pace. Have no doubt that he will bounce back but I do not retract the statement that he is currently underperforming.
Awesome One Posted - 11/26/2010 : 15:17:30
It's Ovie, Semin (in theory) should be around 80-85 points and Ovechkin should be close to 110-115.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
doublechamp7 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 14:06:44
I dot see how Stamkos is "Kicking their buts" Ovechkin maybe but Crosby is only 2 points behind him!
nuxfan Posted - 11/26/2010 : 13:57:59
quote:

Much of Ovi's identity rests on the hypothetical competition he has with Crosby for "best player." If he's putting up less points than Crosby, he's slumping, because he really wants to be everyone's favorite.

I think you are putting too much faith in what the media tells you, and what really is. I would bet that besides a healthy dislike for each other because they play in the same conference and the teams have a rivalry, there is very little of the "Sid vs Ovi" in either of their minds.
Guest2281 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 12:04:36
The bar that is set for Ovechkin is not necessarily his past performance. His bar in my opinion is Crosby. Having been the other spectacle in that spectacular draft year the comparisons and "who is the best" discussions have been endless. Much of Ovi's identity rests on the hypothetical competition he has with Crosby for "best player." If he's putting up less points than Crosby, he's slumping, because he really wants to be everyone's favorite.

I'm glad Stamkos is kicking both their butts right now.

And yes, Canucks do rule.
Beans15 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 08:58:48
I think the reason people were talking about Ovechkin in a slump is because he was in a slump. He has 3 goals in 12 games. Considering his career average is over 0.6 goal per game, that about 1/4 of the production he is expected to produce.

As Nuxfan said, the bar is set differently for different players.
polishexpress Posted - 11/26/2010 : 08:50:53
I agree with that nuxfan.

It's like those kids in school who would get mad if they got anything less than an A+.

For ovie, anything less that a challenge at the Maurice Rocket Richard trophy is a below average season.

Ovie's goals in the past season: 52 46 65 56 50. Average:53.5 goals a season. This season: 10 goals in 26 games. It means he is on pace for 36 goals.

Mind you, he can can go on a streak and score 3 hatricks in 3 games, and be back to his usual pace, but he currently is slightly off his usual stats.

Personally, I think he's approaching this season with a mindset to win the cup, not the Rocket Richard Trophy, so I'm not really surprised by his stats.

More assists for ovie(which are up for him this year) means he's at least trying to be a better teammate. A good sign for caps.
nuxfan Posted - 11/26/2010 : 08:27:43
quote:

You cannot be on pace for over 100 points or 50 goals and be underpreforming

Yes you can. There are different bars for different players - just like there are different paycheques for different players.

For Ovi, anything less than 55-60goals and 110+ points is an "off season", and I see nothing wrong with that benchmark for a guy making 11M a year. He should also see nothing wrong with the different set of expectations for him.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 11/26/2010 : 07:32:45
Scott Cullen on TSN had an article about Ovechkin's "slump" too... Seriously? When you're on pace for over 100 points and it's called a slump? Every player in teh league wants that kind of slump.

THe only off for Ovie at the moment are his minutes and shots per game. But those are going to bounce back.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page