Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Jamie Langenbrunner back to Dallas

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 01/07/2011 : 08:56:20
Jamie Langenbrunner has been traded back to the Dallas Stars for a 3rd round pick. Looks like Dallas may be the real deal this year and trying to improve the team enough to be a serious contender!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
polishexpress Posted - 01/10/2011 : 18:47:17
Sorry Duke, I didn't qualify what inferences I was calling baseless and stupid.

I was calling your inference of me practicing "selective reading" and that I would fill a team full of 35-40 yr olds if I had a chance to be a GM as stupid. Stupid because no one with half a brain would do so, and stupid because there is no way I would ever want to be a GM. Too time consuming, and too much stress. I prefer armchair GM.

And, when defining tradeable, it seems you look at it as a term closer to "expendable."

With that definition, then, yes, TO has more players that they could live without, plenty of them, as does NJ.

However, for me, a tradeable asset is one that there is a viable market for, one which any GM would be willing to make a deal for. In that aspect, I really don't think that either TO or NJ have many assets that other GM's would love to have. The ones that they do, like you mentioned, a Lou or Burke would have to be really desperate or stupid to want to give up.

And, along with my opinion that tradeable assets are ones that others would want, I think that certain veteran players, not all, may be valuable to teams that expect to make long playoff runs.
Alex116 Posted - 01/10/2011 : 17:07:09
I'd prefer to stay out of this argument, but i would like to know one thing. When arguing value of a "tradeable asset" and you mention that they have a NTC, wouldn't pretty much EVERY Leaf waive that NTC if they were asked? I know i'd want outta there!!
The Duke Posted - 01/10/2011 : 15:38:42
Yes Polish the topic is ...trade-able assets....Kovalckuk, Parise, Zajac are keepers ( not tradeable assets )

Thats why i listed NJ`s other players ( tradeable assets ) who will be available...who are all old and over-paid. Do you think Lou lam. is stupid ?? Do you honestly think he is viewing Parise, Zajac and Kovalchuk as tradeable assets ?? If you do you shouldn`t be calling my comments stupid.
polishexpress Posted - 01/10/2011 : 13:28:07
The topic was about tradeable assets.

In the end, in my opinion, I mentioned that NJ has 3 or 4 tradeable assets remaining (Zajac, Parise, Elias, Brodeur), depending on your view of Brodeur.

I stated that TOR really only has 2 roster players that are tradeable assets, Versteeg and Schenn.

The rest, for me, are a wash due to issues like salary, NTC's, NMC's. Other could be traded, but value would be minimal or were just recently acquired.(ie Volchenkov, White from NJ, MacArthur,Bozak,Kulemin,Grabovski etc from TOR)

Duke, your inferences were baseless and stupid. I was simply comparing current trade value.
The Duke Posted - 01/10/2011 : 12:10:02
Polish Express...when i posted ...these young players have nothing but upside...

It was after i listed the young forwards.....this statement had NOTHING to do with the defenseman i listed AFTER this statement....BUT

You ONLY picked out these defenseman to contradict the statement...these young players have nothing but upside...

This my friend is called selective reading....seeing only what you want to see....your points on these defenseman have NOTHING to do with the comment about these youthful fowards. ...so your points on these D-Men are of NO VALUE and meaningless.

If i was an NHL owner, i would not be very happy with you as my GM....apparently you would fill my team with 35 - 40 year olds and spend all my $$$$ on players who have 2 -3 good years left.

Maybe Pat Quinn should have had you as an assistant in TO when he was there. You two would have gotton along great. These NJ players were his same type of pick-ups. Bring em in with crutches, have to be over the hill and ovepaid, and make sure they only have 2 more playing years left.....and i almost forgot, make sure we give them all our draft picks...we don`t need them, we have $$$.

This style of management really worked in Toronto....yes what a super plan, pick up many old veterans....look at where the leafs are today for bringing in the EXACT type of players that the Devils are now trying to DUMP !!!
Pasty7 Posted - 01/10/2011 : 00:02:01
the Devils also have a 26 year old d man whith a lot of offensive upside named Clarkson that is very tradable..

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
polishexpress Posted - 01/09/2011 : 22:41:02
NJ, on the other hand:

Arnott-->4.5mil, UFA, NMC clause(would get little to nothing in return)
Kovy-->not a tradeable asset.
Rolston-->too old, nobody picked him up on waivers

Zajac-->great young center at a reasonable 3.8mil two 60pt+ seasons before this year, in which he may still achieve a 40pt season.

Parise--> an RFA, but who wouldn't want to have the chance to sign him?

White--> reasonable 3mil for a defensive d-man. In his 10th season, has had 6seaons where he was on the plus side of the +/- stat.

Volchenkov--> a little pricey at 4.25mil for his shutdown d-man role, but this year is only the 3rd time he is in the - side of the +/- category. His hits are bone jarring.

Brodeur-->his name alone would garner trade offers, despite this season's woes, but hard to move his 5.2mil cap hit.

Elias--> 6mil for a wiley, still-skilled vet is on pace for about 50pts this year, so easily a 60-70pt player on a more skilled team. There are teams that could afford him.

Legit tradeability: Zajac, Parise, Elias, Brodeur(depends on your point of view)

My verdict on assets: TOR 2 : 3 NJ

I'd rather be the Oilers right now.
nuxfan Posted - 01/09/2011 : 22:38:59
quote:

After Brodeur ( who is a gamble at 38 years old ) who had a bad Olympics, bad Playoff last year, and bad year this year so far overall.....i think any nhl GM would take 5 - 7 leaf players listed before they would even look at any of NJ`s OLD and over-paid players.

I'm quite sure that Burke would salivate at the opportunity to get his hands on some of those "old and over-paid players" like Elias or Arnott, and would dump several of those "valuable" leafs to get them.
polishexpress Posted - 01/09/2011 : 22:17:47
Duke, take off the Blue-and-White glasses

Bozak???? What value does a third liner have?
Armstrong? Another 3rd liner.
MacArthur? a 2nd line player at best.

You say they have "nothing but upside." That's if you only have a topview camera angle.

Beauchemin?? He can't be a defensive d-man: he has only had two plus years in his career, in 05/06 and 06/07 with ANA, where they had Pronger and Niedermayer on the back end. He's definitely not an offensive D-Man, best year was 36pts in 05/06, and hasn't had more than 28 since.(BTW:has modified NTC)

Komisarek? Never gotten more than 19pts in a season, has only played one season in which he played a full 82 games. Last year he played 34, the year that 66. Does he warrant 4.5mil cap hit?(BTW:has modified NTC)

Phaneuf? 6.5mil pricetag? Let's put this in perspective, top performing d-men with similar cap hits(not salary): Dan Boyle(6.6) Lidstrom(6.2) Rafalski(6) Visnovsky(5.6) Keith (5.5) Green(5.2) Pronger (4.9) There are many others who have similar caphits but aren't performing up to caphit. In trade, for that type of caphit, phaneuf wouldn't be as valuable as he was in Calgary(toronto de-valued him)

Kaberle? UFA + NTC = NOT AN ASSET!!!!!!!!!!!!

That leaves Versteeg, Kessel(NTC), Schenn, and maybe, maybe, Gustavsson.

So really, only Versteeg and Schenn.
The Duke Posted - 01/09/2011 : 17:52:07
NJ vs TO`s assets.....Thats a real valuable asset gone there Mario, a third round pick in return, wow. Maybe NJ will get a career AHL`er for themselves.

If NJ has so many more valuable assets than the leafs, how come they are dead last in the league...14 points behind TO ???

I would argue that NJ doesn`t have that many Valuable assets has you say because most all their trade-able players are ovepaid washed up old farts.

Lets examine tradeable assets per team. I think - NJ - Parise, Kovalchuk and Zajac are staying put.... TO, Kessel, Kadri and Schenn aren`t going anywhere.

NJ`s assets ( tradeable ) Langdenbrunner, he is gone i know ( 35 years old )...Arnott ( 36 years old )...Elias ( 34 )...Rolston ( 37 )...Zubrus ( 32, still fairly young ).For the most part this is an old group who are all going DOWN HILL rapidly.

TO`s assets ( tradeable ) Arnstrong ( 28 years old )... Bozak ( 24 )...Graboski ( 26 )...Kuleimen ( 24 )...Macarthur ( 25 )...Versteeg ( 24 ) For the most part these are all VERY YOUNG players who have nothing but up-side and have yet to enter thier prime.

Defensive assets, tradeable ( NJ )...White and Volchenkov
( TO ) Phaneuf, Beauch, Komasarik, Kaberle and Lebda

In goal ( NJ ) Brodeur ( 38 years old )...Hedberg ( 37 ) >>>>>>> ( TO ) Giguere ( 33 )...Monster ( 26 )...Reimer ( 22 )

When you look at it broken down like this i think you would have to agree that NJ`s tradeable assets aren`t anywhere as valuable as the leafs.

After Brodeur ( who is a gamble at 38 years old ) who had a bad Olympics, bad Playoff last year, and bad year this year so far overall.....i think any nhl GM would take 5 - 7 leaf players listed before they would even look at any of NJ`s OLD and over-paid players.
Mario 66 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 14:12:45
I said last week in another thread that new jersey was in a better position then the leafs due to the fact that they had valuable assets they could dispose of. Langebrunner first and i believe Arnott, Elias and maybe even Colin White and i would say Brodeur is even tradeable if it means getting a decent return maybe a John Bernier or Tuuka Rask but that is simply contemplation on my behalf nothing i am guarnteeing

Lemieux owns Gretzky
OILINONTARIO Posted - 01/08/2011 : 13:34:15
Salary dump. Apparently Arnott is next.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2011.
Guest9006 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 13:00:05
NJ should have gotten more than that for him.
foolpittier Posted - 01/07/2011 : 12:30:07
just wondering how much a lagenbrunner goes for these day's?
Alex116 Posted - 01/07/2011 : 10:10:56
I agree, a great pickup for them. Apparently the pick becomes a 2nd rounder if the Stars win a playoff round OR they resign Langenbrunner before July 1 (that's what i heard on the radio this morning).

Gonna be real interesting to see what happens to Brad Richards in the next month or two!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page