Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 World Junior Shocker

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/06/2011 : 05:49:04
Third period, Canada leads Russia 3-0, in control and looking very good.
Final score: Russia 5, Canada 3.

What happened? Who takes the blame? Is this the greatest comeback ever, or the greatest collapse ever, for a world junior hockey gold medal game?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ToXXiK1 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 02:25:04
It came down to what I thought in every game, was sub par goaltending. Sure, the team got stage fright in the third, but, c'mon. The goalies had let in 1 or 2 suspect goals in every game (didn't see the Norway game) this is when the goalie has to bail out his team. I'd have to say at least 3 of those goals were stoppable.....
Guest0750 Posted - 01/07/2011 : 18:39:06
did you watch the game?
MyTeamRules Posted - 01/07/2011 : 18:09:58
Im to blame, I played black ops for the first 10 mins of third
On Canada I would blame players like Johannson seems like he is lazy and doesn't try.

”If you've only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It'll seem like forever. ” - Pat
Alex116 Posted - 01/07/2011 : 10:04:51
Great comments Slozo and from a guy who missed the majority of this game, the score after two sounds to have been a little flattering to our squad?

It's gotta be so much more difficult to lose as they did rather than simply lose 4-1 or something like that. Just to blow that lead makes a tough defeat more "crushing"!

Agree with you entirely that there was a lot of talk about us being weaker compared to others (pre-tournament) than in years past.
n/a Posted - 01/07/2011 : 06:01:40
Good comments.

I am in the "greatest comeback ever" camp, myself . . . and even then, if you were really watching the game, you can't say that Canada dominated the first two periods.

Yes, they got more shots and goals . . . but in the first period alone, Russia hit two goalposts, and had many quality chances in the second period. And in the third, it was the Russians applying pressure, not the Canadians sitting back . . . I didn't see one Canadian rush where they opted for a dump in instead of a rush on the outside of the wing or a shoot-in and hard chase afterward. Canadian was just outscored, and couldn't put in another goal, plain and simple.

Please also remember that at the very beginning of this tournament, the Canadian team was considered very average by our standards, and the americans were the favourites, and the Swedes next, with the Russians being the darkhorse/wildcard.

I thought the Canadian kids played their hearts out, as did the Russians, and the better team won in the end with sniping, creative, more talented play. And the toughness and reslience the Russians showed was, as stated by someone earlier, unmatched in this tournament. It was heartbreaking and shocking the way it came to a 5-3 score, but . . . that's junior hockey!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 22:09:26
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6788

obviously upset with the loss especially the fashion it came about. if there is one small consolidation prize for canada it is jeff skinner, cam fowler, taylor hall, tyler seguin, john tavares, matt duchene, and evander kane... all elligible to play in this tournament had they not made their respective nhl clubs

Isn't Cam Fowler American?

Born in Canada, holds dual citizenship, but yes, he represents USA internationally. His family moved to the US at an early age and he went to school / grew up down there so i assume that's why he chose to play for the US?
Sensfan101 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 16:47:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6788

obviously upset with the loss especially the fashion it came about. if there is one small consolidation prize for canada it is jeff skinner, cam fowler, taylor hall, tyler seguin, john tavares, matt duchene, and evander kane... all elligible to play in this tournament had they not made their respective nhl clubs

Isn't Cam Fowler American?
Guest6788 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 16:03:36
Guest9006 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 15:52:51
I thought that losing last year to the Americans in a close game was bad enough, and now this Has to one of the worst collapses in in the tounament's history! I'd also have to say that the goaltending was not very good, but the defence wasn't the greatest either. Just have to try for next year now.
Guest9802 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 15:49:57
Monumental collapse, great come back? Maybe a bit of both. One thing I will argue is that coaching does not deserve the blame. Cameron coached that team to play like they did when they systematically eliminated the USA and went up 3-0 on the Russians . Everything he did was geared towards getting a "lunch box" team to buy into a system. He would have never told them to let up and go into defensive mode. It is a natural thing when you are up and are so close to winning to just try and hold on for dear life and those players got caught up in it last night. Even the dimmest of coaches knows you don't change your system when it's working and you are trying to wrap a game up. So, to suggest that Dave Cameron, one of the bright junior hockey coaches, changed the game plan, may be a little off base in my opinion.
Alex116 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 15:30:44
Fair enough. I will admit, i've been busier than usual these past few weeks and can admit to seeing less of the WJC's than i have in the past so perhaps my "red tinted" glass have something to do with my opinion. I was surprised the Canadian team did as well as they did after hearing all the talk before the tournament about how we didn't have a dominant goalie (like the US), we were missing guys who were in the NHL (Duchene, Seguin, Hall, etc) and had fewer returning players than some of the other top teams (Russia, USA). BUT, after watching them demolish the US in the semi's and knowing we'd already beat a Russian team which had lost twice in the prelims, i figured we'd have a cakewalk in the final. Sure looked like it for 40mins......
Oilearl Posted - 01/06/2011 : 15:14:22
Nowhere did I say they were better I was stating that they were able to weather the storm gain their composure and comeback in hostile territory. The fact they were used to the atmosphere was my point. the fact they played together and our guys didn't had an impact on the outcome IMHO. Russia deserved to be champs.
Mario 66 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 11:02:28
Although I am very upset with the loss i can hardly agree with people saying the russians would lose 8 - 10 games to canada. This is the almost the same team (19 guys) that played six games against our 3 best leagues (Q,O, & W) and ended up winning 4 out of the 6. Three of those in the same variety that they won the gold last night so are players should have clearly anticipated a 3rd period onslaught. After the russians killed 3 straight pk's in the second canada looked completely out of sync and guys started making error after error. As sad as it is for me to admit russia took over the game and simply had more desire to win and it showed on the tieing and go ahead goals. Simple gaphs in our end and they pounced on them immediately, out worked us and made the plays they needed to.

Blame the coach all you want but it unfortunately comes down to errors by the players who looked great most of the tournament and then seemed out of gas in the second half of the game or they simply allowed the pressure of the moment to get to them which we will honestly never know.

Regardless of how they started the tourney Russia won the gold which makes them the best team in the tourney. Those of you arguing otherwise must believe the sharks & caps are the two best teams in the nhl as they are the ipitimy of regular season success. Anyone forget in 02 that we got our a** handed to us by a sweden team that eventually had its heart removed by belarus as we went on to win gold. Does that conclude then that Canada was not the best team even though the won the gold and Infact the swedes where because they beat canada or even more bizzarre that belarus was because they beat sweden who in turn beat the eventual gold medalist? To make the comment that Russia was not the best team is a mockery. Lets face it in a playof f/ tourny setup the best team gets hot at the right time and goes on a run ala the canes & tb. Russia may have sucked early but they found their stride and outlasted three solid teams all in comeback fashion. It may not have been in typical pretty russian style but it did work.

Lemieux owns Gretzky
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 01/06/2011 : 10:10:44
All credit to the Russians from me. They battled back hard against 3 very good teams in 3 very important games (2 of them back to back). The stamina and will of this team was un-matched in the tourney.

When the knockout round came Russia played 200mins of good, sometimes great Hockey (3 games in Regulation, 2 OT periods, SO).

In the most important game of their young careers, Team Canada played 42 minutes...

You can't win a Hockey game on 2 periods, not at that level.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Alex116 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 09:38:55
quote:
Originally posted by Oilearl

Everyone is saying that they're shocked by this and I'm one who sat for a minute saying did that just happen? The reality is we have basically set the Russians up for this by inviting them to play against our boys in hostile enviroments every year. This team was loaded with players I saw in Victoria against the WHL reps. Most were 19 years old and had developed playing together in Canada/US for he past two or three years. They only have one returning player next year so they were primed for the run they went on! Give them credit and congratulations to our young boys for the effort and commitment shown during the tournament. Hey 10 straight appearances in the gold medal game to me is a victory in itself!!

I think that's a very bold way to look at it, but i'm also thinking you may be alone on that opinion. IF Russia had stormed through this tournament, gave us a beatdown in the prelims (heck, even gave us a closer game) and went on to win gold, fine, they were set up for it, they were a better team, they were older, etc might just work. Bottom line is this....WE LED 3-0 with 18 freaking mins left! NO EXCUSES, it was a collapse!!!

Now, in the other thread i mentioned whether or not they should have tried to defend the lead or keep playing as they had been. Regardless, what they did, didn't work! Credit the Russians for the comeback, but you seem to imply that they were the better team. We play them 10 times, i'd be willing to bet we win a min of 8 of them. Unfortunately, we collapsed.
Oilearl Posted - 01/06/2011 : 08:46:08
Everyone is saying that they're shocked by this and I'm one who sat for a minute saying did that just happen? The reality is we have basically set the Russians up for this by inviting them to play against our boys in hostile enviroments every year. This team was loaded with players I saw in Victoria against the WHL reps. Most were 19 years old and had developed playing together in Canada/US for he past two or three years. They only have one returning player next year so they were primed for the run they went on! Give them credit and congratulations to our young boys for the effort and commitment shown during the tournament. Hey 10 straight appearances in the gold medal game to me is a victory in itself!!
nuxfan Posted - 01/06/2011 : 08:12:58
Because Canada looked so dominant in the first 2 periods, I call it a great collapse. They owned that game, had it sewn up - as Pasty said, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine.

An absolute shocker for sure, I don't recall such an event in all the years I've been watching the Junior tournament. Its on par with Sweden losing to Belarus in the 06 Olympics.
Pasty7 Posted - 01/06/2011 : 06:54:24
thats what happens when a coach changes the game plan after they have owned the rink for the first 2 periods, I have never uderstood a coach who changes the gameplan asking a his steam to lay back into a defensive shell. For godskaes you are up 3 nothing keep apllying pressure and play the same way! I know how to hate this first hand being a habs fan and wactching them on nightly basis go up b a goal and then just stay back and try and make it last.......

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page