Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 How will the Habs do in the 2nd half?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 01/20/2011 : 20:23:59
The Montreal Canadians now have key injuries to: Markov, Halpern, Cammalleri, Gorges, Paciorrety (said he will be a game time decision but i highly doubt it) The team is currently in 7th place but with a game in hand on the 6th place rangers and as many win's as the 5th place Capitals.

So how will the habs do for the remaining 35 games of the regular season?

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Odin Posted - 01/25/2011 : 08:48:29
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Odin are you serious ?? Halak was traded because he was INCONSISTENT !!!

Then what was Price ?? Do you remember just how many chances Montreal gave Price only to sit him for the more CONSISTENT Halak, i sure do.

Price was given priority over Halak all the while they were a duo in Montreal...but he ( Price ) always played a few good games and then flopped....back with poor old Halak again trying to pick up the peices left behind by another loss by Price.

Why do you think Montreal went with Halak in the playoffs last year ?? Because he was INCONSISTENT ?? While Price is having a great season so far....Montreal could not play Price in the playoffs last year because the way he was playing Washington would have routed them 4 straight, and they knew it.

2009 - 2010 regular season stats
J.Halak....GAA 2.40.....26 wins.....13 losses
C.Price....GAA 2.77.....13 wins.....20 losses

Yep, that Halak was sure in-consistent.

Who thinks that Montreal`s record would be worse this year with Halak in the net all season ?

Duke, say what you like, I'm guessing you don't watch them much, since I am certaily FAR from the first person to say this. I'm guessing people have forgotten that Price was al allstar before, and is again. Montreal went with Halak, to answer your obvious question, because he got hot. It happens. Price had something wrong, and I've said ti before and I will continue to say it, he made the mistake of coming back too quick from his ankle injury to get to the ASG. He didn't loo right even then. Then I guess his confidence took a hoit and he wasn't right between the ears. All that has changed, and it seems to me that I made the right call considering what his performance to date has been. Everybody is fixated on one good run.
The Duke Posted - 01/24/2011 : 14:27:04
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, after Halak BLEW PRICE OUT OF THE WATER in the win loss column last season, he then was GOD LIKE in the playoffs !!!

What was his reward for all this ....traded away. If C.Price played every game for the Habs last season ( based on his numbers ) they would have finished right with the leafs.
The Duke Posted - 01/24/2011 : 14:21:04
Odin are you serious ?? Halak was traded because he was INCONSISTENT !!!

Then what was Price ?? Do you remember just how many chances Montreal gave Price only to sit him for the more CONSISTENT Halak, i sure do.

Price was given priority over Halak all the while they were a duo in Montreal...but he ( Price ) always played a few good games and then flopped....back with poor old Halak again trying to pick up the peices left behind by another loss by Price.

Why do you think Montreal went with Halak in the playoffs last year ?? Because he was INCONSISTENT ?? While Price is having a great season so far....Montreal could not play Price in the playoffs last year because the way he was playing Washington would have routed them 4 straight, and they knew it.

2009 - 2010 regular season stats
J.Halak....GAA 2.40.....26 wins.....13 losses
C.Price....GAA 2.77.....13 wins.....20 losses

Yep, that Halak was sure in-consistent.

Who thinks that Montreal`s record would be worse this year with Halak in the net all season ?
Odin Posted - 01/24/2011 : 10:27:15
T-rav,

you do get that Halak isn't french right?

I said it then and I will say it now, they kept the right goalie. There was a reason Halak could never get a tight grip on the starters reins, he was inconsistent. His best shelf life is 5 games.

It amazed me how many people were so ready to write off a 21 year old goalie. I always pointed at MA Fleury to show at least a little proof that people need to have some patience. Further, the fact is that this position is notorious for its late bloomers.

He seems to be healthy and finally has his head screwed on straight, and the Habs will reap the rewards for years to come. Ain't it wonderful?
Odin Posted - 01/24/2011 : 10:18:46
quote:
Originally posted by doublechamp7

I only caught the overtime and shootout of the MTL game(CBC only lets me watch toronto) and i was absolutely amazed at the couple of shifts by Plekanec, I think he will have a good 2nd half, and montreal will do good too.

24 wins for Montreal I think

The juniors have failed for Canada

Yes Plekanecs game has really come around. I was a little iffy when they tossed $5M at him, but I am gnow glad they did it. He could be one of the rare exceptions, improving after he signs a big contract.
nuxfan Posted - 01/24/2011 : 09:54:27
quote:
from TRAV:
This is NOT to say they suck, OR that they will not make the play-offs. But if GM Place were to suddenly implode, I would party like [ moderator edit ] (I would not lose sleep).

TRAV signature:
quote:

Peace and Respect

For someone that signs their posts "peace and respect", I have seen very little of either from you. You have some issues dude.
T-RAV Posted - 01/24/2011 : 04:32:08
2 Years ago I would NOT cheer for the Habs! No matter what. Simply because I am a Leafs fan. However, Last year in the play-hoffs and this year I found myself roo-ting for da Habitants, ya? lol

Now, in all seriousness, I am NOW (almost) as much a Habs fan as a Leafs fan. I was shocked to see them trade Halak. I think most people were. I was really surprised they kept the english goalie. But Price has definitely filled the gap.

There is no question they will make the play-offs this year. This team has drive. They often find a way to win, which is the missing ingredient in Toronto right now.

So, Montreal, if you are curious who is my new "favorite team to hate"? The answer is the Canucks

This is NOT to say they suck, OR that they will not make the play-offs. But if GM Place were to suddenly implode, I would party like [ moderator edit ] (I would not lose sleep).

So Patsy, GHG good luck going forward.

Peace and Respect

Do not make racial slurs please - follow your "peace and respect" through your actions.
ToXXiK1 Posted - 01/24/2011 : 02:15:52
quote:
Originally posted by Go_Habs_Go

Their prospect is Erik Karlsson, and their team is based on Kovalev, Spezza, Alfredson and Gonchar...great players (maybe Gonchar and Kovalev are getting old). I don't know what's wrong with those senetors.

As for the Habs...ya guys who think they wont make the playoffs are serious ? Carolina ? Florida ? (assuming Atlanta is already in the top 8)...gimme a break. The Habs have at least 1 point in 10 of their last 11 games, and won 7-1 without Cammalleri and other injuries...I think they'll manage not losing a 7-point advantage on 9th position.

"Bon point Jacques!" - Benoît Brunet

I think counting out Carolina is the same mistake everyone makes every year, then they pull it off. This team is healthy and have the just as much talent and goaltending that Montreal has.
Carolina is 3pts behind Atlanta with 3 games in hand.

"Hockey is a man's game. The team with the most real men wins.” - Brian Burke
Pasty7 Posted - 01/23/2011 : 12:03:32
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

nuxfan....was pretty weird not seeing the leafs when i turned on HNIC! A little "treat" thrown our way !

Ottawa's a strange one. Fair bit of talent there, but no results. Spezza trade talks, which seem to come up EVERY year, could start swirling as soon as he's healthy! Anyone know his prognosis?

Pasty / GHG / "other HAB fans.....Nice point last night. Well fought for. One of those one's that you can walk away from without the extra shootout point and still be satisfied!

This team is a lot deeper than people have realized, Paciorrty steps up, Pouliot steps up Winewski is an extremly underrated d man, Plekanec is one of the best 2 way centers in the league right up there with the Kesler's of the league this team is much much better than people give them credit for, of course now that i said this we will slump lol but i am truly impressed even as a habs fan i did not think they were this deep!

Porkchop73 Posted - 01/23/2011 : 12:03:21
Well, look at all you Canuck fans, Bruins fans and Habs fans being nice to each other. Its not supposed to be like that. Especially a Bruins fan.

The blue blood in me and blue tinted glasses that I wear want the Habs to crash horribly in the second half and miss the playoffs leaving the Habs fans in total bewilderment.
But......
Reality says that the Habs are exactly what they appear to be. A playoff team that could surprise the competition again. I say the Habs finish 5th or 6th and get to the second round for sure.
Wondering where all the Habs fans went that were crying bloody murder when Halak was traded. Price has sure made Halak a memory hasn't he. He is a good example of a player who maybe was not quite ready last year but he figured it out and for now he has the last laugh.
Alex116 Posted - 01/23/2011 : 11:47:14
nuxfan....was pretty weird not seeing the leafs when i turned on HNIC! A little "treat" thrown our way !

Ottawa's a strange one. Fair bit of talent there, but no results. Spezza trade talks, which seem to come up EVERY year, could start swirling as soon as he's healthy! Anyone know his prognosis?

Pasty / GHG / "other HAB fans.....Nice point last night. Well fought for. One of those one's that you can walk away from without the extra shootout point and still be satisfied!
Go_Habs_Go Posted - 01/23/2011 : 01:10:30
Their prospect is Erik Karlsson, and their team is based on Kovalev, Spezza, Alfredson and Gonchar...great players (maybe Gonchar and Kovalev are getting old). I don't know what's wrong with those senetors.

As for the Habs...ya guys who think they wont make the playoffs are serious ? Carolina ? Florida ? (assuming Atlanta is already in the top 8)...gimme a break. The Habs have at least 1 point in 10 of their last 11 games, and won 7-1 without Cammalleri and other injuries...I think they'll manage not losing a 7-point advantage on 9th position.

nuxfan Posted - 01/22/2011 : 22:53:03
tonight was the first night in ages that we got the MTL game rather than the TOR game for the early HNIC, pleasant surprise for sure. It was an exciting game

Duke - I have no idea what the plan is for OTT, or what it should be. I rarely see OTT play and don't know many of their players or prospects. Perhaps an OTT fan could enlighten us. It is one of those inexplicable teams this year, similar to SJ or LA out west - not living up to expectations.
doublechamp7 Posted - 01/22/2011 : 21:25:52
I only caught the overtime and shootout of the MTL game(CBC only lets me watch toronto) and i was absolutely amazed at the couple of shifts by Plekanec, I think he will have a good 2nd half, and montreal will do good too.

24 wins for Montreal I think

The juniors have failed for Canada
The Duke Posted - 01/22/2011 : 19:40:04
Speaking of Ottawa Nuxfan,,,what the hell are they gonna do with their team ?? man they are gone to the dogs...same record as the leafs pretty well i know but the leafs are in re-building mode.

Ott on the other hand are supposed to be a contender.
nuxfan Posted - 01/22/2011 : 10:02:41
well Pasty, it was OTT you were playing last night, not a real NHL team

A good bounceback game for sure. Perhaps the loss of Cammy will finally wake Gionta back up?
Pasty7 Posted - 01/22/2011 : 07:26:34
well 7-1 win over the sens last night 34 games to go! I think thid team's depth and heart are being underestimated and also their game plan set up by Pern Muller And Martin, i think this team could finish the season right where they are 6th maybe even win the division

Pasty7 Posted - 01/21/2011 : 12:51:14
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

With the shoulder being a separation and not a dislocation, news is good for the Habs right there! If Cammy can be back within a month, they're very fortunate, but like most injuries, they've gotta be careful not to rush him back!

not to mention with the all star game coming up it will give their hurt players a much needed break ... i do 't want to jinx it but the teams that are in the playoffs now are the ones that will be there at the end of the year,,, don't discount the habs at the halfway mark they have as many wins as the caps and the bruins they are still very much in the hunt for the division title.. the only team that may come into the playoff picture is Carolina and
Atlanta is in a lot more trouble than the habs and the habs are a better team than the Canes a better team than the Thrashers

Alex116 Posted - 01/21/2011 : 11:02:46
With the shoulder being a separation and not a dislocation, news is good for the Habs right there! If Cammy can be back within a month, they're very fortunate, but like most injuries, they've gotta be careful not to rush him back!
Guest9840 Posted - 01/21/2011 : 10:24:09
Well apparently the injury front isn't actually as bad as everybody thought.

They will be fine.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/montreal-canadiens/Injury+outlook+brightens+Canadiens/4133654/story.html
Guest9840 Posted - 01/21/2011 : 10:20:06
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I voted low, 10 games, but it was probably just so that my pre-season prediction comes true.

Truthfully, it would require some serious heart as you say for them to play .500 and keep a playoff spot. Price would have to play outstanding for the rest of the year, same as he started it (he's tapered off a bit, but still playing well). I have been on record as predicting their demise because of Markov, and said after he went down that they'd be lucky to make the playoffs . . . and everyone (Habs fans) was up in arms on that prediction because they were in first place at the quarter season mark.

But we'll see . . . they have been a surprising team for me so far, and to give credit where credit is due, Price and the whole team have played very well. I would predict failure from the All Star break onward . . . but I've been wrong before.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Well the prediciton was wrong then, and will continue to be wrong now. It just seems to me Slozo, that it makes absolutely no difference to you what they do, they will just always suck in your mind. You give them some props at the end, and kudos to you on that, but the post is still very negative. I mean, this is coming from the guy who says their defense sucks when the team has allowed the 3rd least amount of goals.
ToXXiK1 Posted - 01/21/2011 : 08:58:09
I'm looking forward to a classic Boston / Montreal playoff round, so Price n' company have to find a way to git 'er dun !

"Hockey is a man's game. The team with the most real men wins.” - Brian Burke
The Duke Posted - 01/21/2011 : 08:33:14
Go Habs GO....the habs always manage to get into the playoffs....it was a whlie ago and they had a diffrent team then but i remember a few years back when they missed the playoffs quite a lot ...post P.Roy days...

Without bashing the habs...i honestly believe that Price will play good but not ( as great ) in the second half, team injuries playing a factor here too, plus fatigue,....with this combination i can see the habs playing 3 - 5 games under . 500 for the rest of the way.

With that in mind i can see Carolina getting in from what they have done lately....they`ve come a long way....just that 1 bad game, it happens

With one spot remaining the Sabres are starting to come on...if they win their 1 game in hand it will put them 7 points behind Montreal, with a long , long season to play. Ryan Miller is a one man wrecking crew and Lindy Ruff is a damn good coach.

If i were a habs fan, i wouldn`t be worrying about playing the Flyers in the 1st round.....with all those key players out i would be hoping for a plaoff spot.

I can see them being knocked right down to 9th spot with a 2 week bad stretch.
Go_Habs_Go Posted - 01/21/2011 : 06:07:27
The habs always manage to get into the playoffs, don't worry for them Slozo.

And Alex116, in a Flyers-Canucks final... because of Kesler, the best player in the nhl (jokes), I would chear for Vancouver as well, duh.

n/a Posted - 01/21/2011 : 03:39:04
I voted low, 10 games, but it was probably just so that my pre-season prediction comes true.

Truthfully, it would require some serious heart as you say for them to play .500 and keep a playoff spot. Price would have to play outstanding for the rest of the year, same as he started it (he's tapered off a bit, but still playing well). I have been on record as predicting their demise because of Markov, and said after he went down that they'd be lucky to make the playoffs . . . and everyone (Habs fans) was up in arms on that prediction because they were in first place at the quarter season mark.

But we'll see . . . they have been a surprising team for me so far, and to give credit where credit is due, Price and the whole team have played very well. I would predict failure from the All Star break onward . . . but I've been wrong before.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 01/20/2011 : 22:28:55
quote:
Originally posted by Go_Habs_Go

As for the first round, i just hope they dont match up against Philadelphia.

Flyers-Canucks for the finals

I hear ya on that. The Flyers are playing some really good hockey! I noticed them at 9.5 - 1 on an online gambling site i use. I'm thinking of dropping $100 on them. If your prediction comes up, at least i'll have some solace if they beat the Canucks, but trust me though, i'd be cheering for the Canucks.
Go_Habs_Go Posted - 01/20/2011 : 22:16:35
As for the playoffs, they will manage to finish 6-7-8, guys like Andrei Kostitsyn, Gomez and Gionta will step up. Subban and Wisnievski are playing some great hockey, and Plekanec will remain stable.

As for the first round, i just hope they dont match up against Philadelphia.

Flyers-Canucks for the finals

Alex116 Posted - 01/20/2011 : 22:02:34
I chose 15-20 wins but would lean towards the 15 with a few shootout/OT losses in the mix where they still get a point. .500 hockey or a little above at this point would still likely see them finish in 7th or 8th. That may not seem like success but with those injuries, it'd be a good accomplishment. Keep in mind, those chasing need to play above the clip they play at to gain ground.

As for 1st round success, too early to say. They may match up better against some teams so it could depend on who they face. After last year, never say never!
nuxfan Posted - 01/20/2011 : 20:52:31
I too think injuries will hurt, there are too many solid players out for significant amounts of time. It will ultimately come down to how Price plays the rest of the year - has everything up to now been him playing above his ability, or will he continue to deliver?

I think they'll slide into the playoffs in 7th or 8th. Which seems to be where they like to be
Pasty7 Posted - 01/20/2011 : 20:29:18
The more i watch this team the more i think they have more heart and determination than skill or talent. They all year have been just finding way to win being down arguably their best player, and now they are down both of their best players it will be a tough road, but i think i can honestly and objectivly say this team should go soemthing like 20-15 for the rest of the year and sneak into the playoffs in 6th 7th or 8th,,, healthy i think this team is a good bet to be in the top six but all these injuries are just bound to cost them some games,,, I think if they can get healthy in time for the post season they could be a strong underdog as they were last year, i have no notions of them winning the cup or anything but i deffinetly see this team having the chops to get out of the first round!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page