Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 New Blood

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ToXXiK1 Posted - 01/31/2011 : 09:35:11
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/31/17097206.html

Just read this, what's the info on this kid?

(ADMIN EDIT - Canucks call up Cody Hodgson - ToXXiK1 once again, please insert some basic information about the subject you wish to talk about AND what is on the other side of any link you post. - Thanks again for the contribution)
"Hockey is a man's game. The team with the most real men wins.” - Brian Burke
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 03/18/2011 : 08:29:19
As Alex says.

The Canucks knew what they were giving up with Grabner, however I agree he was never going to get a chance in Vancouver to produce at that level. He might have had a shot at the second line, but he didn't show any consistency while he played up last year, and Raymond basically won the battle for that spot. Grabner is not scoring 30 goals on the 3rd line, thats for sure. I'm glad he's done well in NY though, he was always talented.

Ballard has not been great this year and its uncertain what the Canucks might get for him, but he certainly came here with a better resume than he's shown each night. Oreskovich seems to be a good 3rd line plugger. But, at least we got something for Grabner - FLA simply put him on waivers for nothing.
Alex116 Posted - 03/18/2011 : 08:11:27
quote:
Originally posted by FutureKesler

Cody's gonna be a good player. But not a fantastic player. Maybe an All-star once or twice, but not an abosolute super star. I hope he gets really good. We havent had a top prospect for a while. Grabner was traded, but I don't know why. What has Ballard done for the nux?

Kesler is the TRUE Nucks Captain.

Grabner was traded because to get something, you have to give something and teams looking to build, usually like young guys with upside. Grabner wasn't likely to get a chance in Vancouver on the kind of line he needs to play on, for at least another 2-3 years. Keep in mind, he's not 19 or 20 (turns 24 in Oct) and has played 3+ seasons in the AHL without coming close to dominating or putting up near a ppg pace. Upside, sure, it's still there and he's showing some of it now, but like i said, you gotta give to get. Surprisingly, Fla just let him walk and the Isles picked themselves up a good young, very fast, player for free!

Ballard, what's he done? That one's easy. He's underperformed, but hasn't been terrible. Yes, for the money he's getting, and the expectations, he's not what the Canucks were expecting, at least not yet. Don't forget, he was coming off surgery in the offseason and was injured for a little bit not too long ago. I think he'll be fine in the end.

FutureKesler Posted - 03/18/2011 : 07:23:38
Cody's gonna be a good player. But not a fantastic player. Maybe an All-star once or twice, but not an abosolute super star. I hope he gets really good. We havent had a top prospect for a while. Grabner was traded, but I don't know why. What has Ballard done for the nux?

Kesler is the TRUE Nucks Captain.
nuxfan Posted - 02/01/2011 : 20:46:57
as guest says - I think they're showcasing as many of their prospects as they can over the next month, in preparation for potential trades. He would be a valuable prospect to offer in a trade for the right player.

I personally don't see Hodgson staying the the Canuck organization, even if he doesn't get moved this deadline - his (potential) talent is a waste at anything other than top-2 centre, and we're pretty set in those two positions. I also think that the relationship between Hodgson and the Canucks has been strained since the back injury, and continues to be.

AFAIK, they had planned to bring him up for a bit earlier, but his injury got in the way.
Guest4803 Posted - 02/01/2011 : 15:13:22
Trade Deadline is less then a month away. Good time to showcase any talent on your roster that may be expendable come the deadline, with kesler and hank locked up for the next 5 years hodgson doesnt have a suitable roster spot on this team unless he converts to wing.
Alex116 Posted - 02/01/2011 : 14:09:14
I was pretty surprised to begin with that they brought him up at this time? I would have preferred to see Shirokov get a longer look / another look seeing as Hodgson is just back from an injury? Timing seems really weird to me and it's not like the team has been getting pressure from fans and media here to see him? His name hasn't been mentioned much at all this season.
nuxfan Posted - 02/01/2011 : 12:06:12
thanks for the insight Mario - yeah, we haven't seen Hodgson play yet this year, and honestly have no idea where he is development wise. I think he has only been back with the Moose for a couple of games after being out 6 weeks or so with his latest injury, so perhaps that was why he looked so bad. We'll all get a view of him tonight, I'm curious to see how he does.
Mario 66 Posted - 02/01/2011 : 11:37:07
Saw Hodgson play on Saturday against the marlies. One word UGLY! I watched Hodgson play 20 - 30games when he played with the Batallion and i thought he was incredible. He was night and day ahead of everyone else. Could read the play, finish solid defensively everything you want in a prospect. The back injuries have really destroyed him although that could change in the next 2-3 yrs if the back strengthens. Saturday he was slow, bobling the puck, unwilling to battle in the corner all signs his back is still ailing. A fractured jaw doesn't help but baring good forturne it looks like another great prospects career will be cut short or full potential never realized due to injuries.

For Nux fans although it was only one game and far to short of a synopsis Shroeder looked alright, Sharakov seems to be close to nhl ready & the goalie that was playing Lack was huge and seemed pretty solid.

Lemieux owns Gretzky
ToXXiK1 Posted - 02/01/2011 : 01:37:12
Thanks Nux.

nuxfan Posted - 01/31/2011 : 19:42:59
it looks like he'll centre the 4th line - which as a centre is really where he'd slot depth-wise. Longer term (ie, next season), I cannot see how Hodgson is going to make the Canucks as a centre - it would be a waste to have him on the 4th line, but there is no room in the top-3. He's gonna have to get used to playing a wing soon...
nuxfan Posted - 01/31/2011 : 13:32:43
Hodgson is the #1 prospect in the Canuck system, was drafted a couple of years ago 10th overall. Has played well at the junior level, I believe he was Canada's top scorer at the junior's 2 years ago. Has had some success in his first year as a pro with the Moose, nearly a PPG so far.

He missed nearly a full year of development with back injuries in the year after he was drafted, from Canuck camp onwards. So this past year is his first real "development" year as far as the Canucks go. Didn't make the big team this year mainly due to that missed year, although he would have had a hard time cracking a centre position at all in camp.

He is projected to be a top-2 centre on the team (although with Hank and Kesler, he won't get a chance at top-2 right away), plays a very smart game and can score. As to whether or not he has "dynamic elite skills", he is only 20 years old. I suspect he'll start on wing when he's called up (no room at centre on the top-3 lines), hopefully with Kesler.
Guest4609 Posted - 01/31/2011 : 12:19:50
Cody hodgson is a good prospect but not a great one. His speed is a definite deterrent at the Nhl level. That being said, I think he could be a solid NHL center, probably a 3rd liner with some upside. he thinks the game well but lacks the dynamic elite skill level to be anything special. Think just a step below Joe Pavelski.
Alex116 Posted - 01/31/2011 : 11:54:59
Sorry, no offense, but i can google a bunch of stats and cut and paste them, i can check wikipedia for you for a real rundown of him OR, i could give you a quick one paragraph run down of a few things i know, which is what i chose to do.

And, if you've never seen him play, you missed a really good WJC tournament a few years ago!
ToXXiK1 Posted - 01/31/2011 : 11:31:08
Ya Alex, some background??? Sorry, did i offend you?
I've never seen him play as he's not in the Boston system so I thought maybe someone could have some insight? Upside, downside, you know, something other than the 1 paragraph from the paper......

Alex116 Posted - 01/31/2011 : 11:09:39
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/31/17097206.html

Just read this, what's the info on this kid?

You sure you read it? Pretty much sums up Hodgson's history in a few lines. What more do you want? Stats from junior?

In short, he was a stand out junior player, you may have seen him on the WJC team a few years ago where he led the tournament in scoring while playing alongside John Tavares. A back injury has slowed his progress / development but at one point, he was expected to be on the Canucks by now and have the opportunity to progress slowly with an already strong team. He wasn't under the pressure that perhaps Tavares felt coming to a bad team. Either way, he's battled back problems and now other injuries and has apparently earned the right to make his NHL debut, possibly as early as tommorrow night.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page