Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Most Satisfying Moment in Your Career as a Fan

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andyhack Posted - 02/11/2011 : 16:06:40
Many of you are probably bigtime fanatics who, while cheering for your favorite team, have felt moments of great disappointment and moments of great joy. What one game or series, or specific moment in a game or series (whether a goal, a save, a fight, etc), was the most satisfying moment?

For example, a Blackhawks fan might say Patrick Kane's overtime goal last year. An old-time Leafs fan might say that goal by Lanny McDonald against the Isles back in '78. Etc.

Converesly, while we're at it, what was the worst moment, the one that made you almost want to throw a lamp at the TV (or in the case of Bruin fans out there, DID make you throw a lamp at the TV)?
34   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/14/2011 : 04:54:18
Great Topic, first off.

Best Moment as a hockey fan, Leafs fan (in that order):
#1 - 2002 Winter Olympics, Canada wins gold medal
Like a lot of cherished memories in sports, this one is the most poignant for me because of where I was and how I got to celebrate, running up and down Yonge Street in Toronto slapping hands with others, cheering, etc . . . just like all over the country. Saw the game with my dad, too. It's hard to choose what ranks at the top, but I think this one is it.

#2 - Nik Boreshevsky scores in OT against Detroit, game 7 rd1 1993
What a series, what an improbable comeback, and I can still picture Niki's celebration after netting the OT winner. It was just a flat out awesome series, as was the next one against St.Louis where Gilour scored in OT against Cujo for a 1-0 victory, and the Leafs after upsetting Detroit looked like they had a pretty clear pathway to the Cup.

#3 Strictly as a hockey fan - game 7, Rangers / Canucks
An amazing series, capped by an amazing game, filled with classy players and great plays. I remember watching that in a bar in Toronto, and although as Leafs fans we had no great stake in it, it was a packed house and we were all in awe of the affair (with many a depressed Vancouverite sobbing in their beer afterward, of course). This, for me, was the pinnacle of hockey.

Worst Moments as a Hockey/Leaf Fan
#1 Gretzky weaves his magic and gets away with a headbutt, stopping the Leafs in game 7 in '93, prevents Leafs final appearance against the Habs

It was the only time I literally saw people crying because of a hockey game result - that is how passionate we were about it, how close we were. It still makes me insane to think of what could have been . . . a dream final against the Habs. But the refs didn't help out, and neither did the Great One, and the Leafs went downhill from there.

#2 Bertuzzi take out Moore
Besides getting into a million discussions and arguments over the incident and what kind of punishment Bertuzzi deserved . . . it gave a huge black eye to hockey, and I hated that I had to explain to non-hockey fans what it was all about.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
MrBoogedy Posted - 02/13/2011 : 22:50:44
Best moment was a few years ago, montreal vs toronto, kovalev got called for a dive, so the refs were letting the leafs have their way with him for the rest of the game. The moment when he got fed up, he let the puck go to tucker then dropped him with an elbow. It was great.
Worst Moment, speaking of diving, was during the playoffs about 10 years or so ago when Ribiero took the dive, then got up laughing. He was traded early the next year.
Beans15 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 21:44:11
October of 1990. The last season the Oilers won the Cup. I was at the season opener for the following season and the game started with every light in the entire stadium going off. Everything. There was nothing but a few emergency lights on in the entire Coliseum. Spotlight snaps on from the roof to the end of the ice and there is Mark Messier, dark blue and orange jersey sporting the #11. Smiling that stupid smile with the Stanley Cup hoisted over his head. No music. No light show. Nothing but the Cup, Messier, and that grin.

I have never heard a sound a loud and electric as the sound that stadium made when that spotlight hit Messier.

Oilearl Posted - 02/13/2011 : 16:02:33
I have to say the 2002 olympic gold medal first then the Oilers run in 2006 to the final because it was never expected and even tho they lost what a bonus.

The worst was losing to Calgary in '89, however what a great rivalry the battle of Alberta was!!
Guest4338 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 15:48:34
Easy, Easy, Easy.
Canada's 5 second goal against germany to take them into OT 2 years ago in the WJC.
Utemin Posted - 02/13/2011 : 14:13:50
I'll post on this topic by the end of the playoffs right now it is Weber's Olympic shot.

Don't hate me because i'm Beautiful
Utemin Posted - 02/13/2011 : 14:12:12
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinOilCountry

My favorite was last season's Chicago Blackhawks I love that whole season. I called the Hawks winning the Cup, and Toews winning the Conn Smythe in the Pre season. I caught a lot of flak for that (especially from Vancouver fans). The Highest point for me was actually the CHI-VAN series in the playoffs, because that's when the haters ran out of things to say

My lowest point? Probably the Pronger debacle in Edmonton (I didn't watch Hockey when the Gretzky debacle happened). I mean, up until that point, this city loved him, he was a hero. Packing up and demanding a ride out to the Disney team hurt. I lost a lot of respect for him.

Having said that... it made the 'Hawks slapping the grin off his face last year quite enjoyable.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

... It was the refs fault! letting the other teams get away with everything!

Don't hate me because i'm Beautiful
Guest6013 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 14:04:43
Subban needs to go back to basketball or something
ryan93 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 14:00:38
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4748

Best moments:
-Montreal winning 6-5 in SO after losing 5-0 against the Rangers, it was magic.

Ugh, don't remind me! I took so much abuse from my MANY Hab fan friends. I have to admit though, that was on entertaining game, the fans went nuts!

Guest4748 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 13:26:11
Best moments :
-Koivu returning from cancer
-Montreal winning 6-5 in SO after losing 5-0 against the Rangers, it was magic.
-Montreal's playoff last year, beating WASH and PITTS after losing the series 3-1. Unfortunately they ended up being beaten by the flyers but meh, was still great.
sahis34 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 10:36:54
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

patrick stefan...
That's all I need to say

Go OILERS Go!!!

may I remind you that the Stars DID end up winning that game in a shootout

Semin, you know what i never really understood, Stefan took a beating in the media and hockey circles. I don't get it? The puck took a hop on him! It's not as though he was hot dogging and doing a spinorama or a between the legs shot or something? I guess because the Oilers came back to score with so little time it looked brutal, but it really wasn't his fault!!

Thats why you don't deke it into the net, you roll it into the net, stefan went backhand

Go OILERS Go!!!
Guest2759 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 10:28:39
worst by far was 1978-79 playoffs Guy lafleur scores in the last 2 minutes on Giles Gilbert. I was only six and cried all night.(damn too many men on the ice penalty)

best probably was Garry Gally's overtime goal in the 1988 playoffs to beat Roy and the Canadiens.
Guest0019 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 09:29:19
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6013

My favourite will be when someone knocks out subban.

you MUST be a leaf fan...........
best moment for me is EVERY year when leafs ride off into the sunset come playoff time
Guest6013 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 09:09:57
My favourite will be when someone knocks out subban.
ryan93 Posted - 02/13/2011 : 06:14:25
I'll gotta add a few more to my list...

I've been watching Brad Richards play since he was playing atom hockey here in PEI with the Northumberland Sharks. The entire 2004 playoffs, in which he lead the league in points & set an NHL record for game winning goals. Moments in particular though, Brad being awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy & then him raising the Stanley Cup. Fast forward a few years, his first game as a member of the Dallas Stars was a pretty special moment too, with Brad picking up 5 assists!

And how cold i forget Team Canada. Yes, Sidney Crosby's golden goal was a very special moment..but overall for me, the 2002 Olympic Gold meant more. While it's hard to pinpoint to an exact moment as you can with the '10 Gold, i'd just have to say the entire 3rd period, with Sakic's goal one of the definite highlights.

Either one of the Canada/US classics from the 2009/2010 World Junior Championships, hockey doesn't get much better than that.

And finally, I actually didn't see a live game until 2007, New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers at MSG. It's an experience i'll never forget, even had the game been a complete dud. It was far from it however, the Rangers took a 2-0 lead, but the Devils battled back & tied it up late. It ended up going to a shootout where Zach Parise scored the winner for the Devils.

Guest4278 Posted - 02/12/2011 : 21:51:12
Surprised no one picked a low as a lockout season yet. Even lower is when they agreed to come back and you knew it wasn't about the fans but the money. Never cheered for a team or bought any merchandise after that.
spade632 Posted - 02/12/2011 : 21:18:11
Statman - same here, there are so many moments to choose from.

I think my favourite "personally experienced" momenwas being on Rue Ste. Catherine in Montreal after the Game 6 win against the Pens last year - the atmosphere was epic.

I remember watching the Olympic Gold medal game with friends at a bar downtown, I had my Canada flag draped over my shoulders, but when nature called (thank god for commercial breaks ) I gave it to a friend of mine, I get back to my seat, take back my flag and shortly thereafter USA scores . I instantly give the flag back to my friend "Seems i'm bad luck!" - the party in the street after Crosby won it was awesome!

As far as "watched" NHL games/moments go - off the top of my head I'd have to say the Habs '93 Cup Run. The sheer amount of overtime drama was enough to give anyone a heart attack many times over.

internationally -

Lemieux letting the puck slide through his legs in 2002 to set up a goal (Yzerman I think?) was nuts. As was, of course, the double gold in hockey.

World Jrs - too many crazy moments, punctuated by insane shootouts and last minute Eberle heroics (a friend of mine changed his religious views to "Eberle" on Facebook).

Worst moment - Probably watching Gretzky sit on the bench in 1998 during the shootout. this year's world jrs. collapse was pretty stunning too.

Statman Posted - 02/12/2011 : 14:35:32
This is a fun topic, and there are so many different answers that people must have. I myself have answers for both the NHL and international competition, as they are completely different animals.

First and foremost, the best (far and away) is Crosby's golden goal. It provided an overwhelming sense of both euphoria and relief. Can't see anything topping it. EVER.

My best moment watching the NHL was probably Bure's 2OT game 7 winner against Calgary that someone else also listed as their great moment. I do think that play shares credit with Kirk McLean's "save of the century" that would later make Bure's goal possible.

Worst moment is easy. You've probably already deduced that I am a Canucks fan. So knowing that, it's a Finals Game 7 loss to the Rangers, right? Not even close. When my team got that close I had already prepared for the worst, so when it happened I had nicely insolated myself against disaster. However, back in 1989 when I was for the first time pulled into watching an NHL team (my introduction to sport, in general), I fell hard for a blue collar, underdog Canuck team that was on the verge of upsetting the powerful Calgary Flames. Then Joel Otto directed that one off his skate in Game 7 OT, and I was crushed like an ant. The first cut is the deepest.

You don't have to go back very far for my worst moment in international competition. After winning and losing with so many teams over the years (including the multiple rec teams I play for), I have become pretty thick skinned about the whole thing. It takes something pretty disasterous to get to me these days. However that happened a little over a month ago when my beloved Canadian National Junior Team pulled a choke job for the ages to squander a 3-0 lead after two to the Russians to go from champs to chumps in a matter of minutes. Still can't believe it.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 02/12/2011 : 14:23:03
1997. First round. EDM v DAL. THE SAVE by Cujo and THE GOAL by Marchant. Game 7. Sudden death. Better than any 80's moment from the Oil. Next round v COL was the worst.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
Alex116 Posted - 02/12/2011 : 09:40:30
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinOilCountry

My favorite was last season's Chicago Blackhawks I love that whole season. I called the Hawks winning the Cup, and Toews winning the Conn Smythe in the Pre season. I caught a lot of flak for that (especially from Vancouver fans). The Highest point for me was actually the CHI-VAN series in the playoffs, because that's when the haters ran out of things to say

WHAT ARE YOU.....ERRR, THAT'S SO FAR FROM.....ERRR, YOU CAN'T SIT THERE AND TELL ME....ERRRR,........nevermind

HawkinOilCountry Posted - 02/12/2011 : 09:17:54

My lowest point? Probably the Pronger debacle in Edmonton (I didn't watch Hockey when the Gretzky debacle happened). I mean, up until that point, this city loved him, he was a hero. Packing up and demanding a ride out to the Disney team hurt. I lost a lot of respect for him.

Having said that... it made the 'Hawks slapping the grin off his face last year quite enjoyable.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
willus3 Posted - 02/12/2011 : 08:34:57
I have to say I really enjoyed seeing Denis Savard holding the Stanley Cup in Montreal's win in 93.
Many more moments good and bad but will have to think about it more.
Guest4125 Posted - 02/12/2011 : 08:34:37
FAV:
the golden goal 2010 olympics
canada-russia 2010 olympics
gold medal game 2002 olympics
game 7 leafs-detroit '93 playoffs
game 1 leafs-st. louis '93 playoffs 2OT, i was at the game

WORST:
game 7 leafs-LA '93 playoffs
canada-swiss 2006 olympics
finding out the Leafs had a trade on the table to get Gretzky when he wanted out of LA, but ownership rejected it!
Mario 66 Posted - 02/12/2011 : 06:00:47
Favorite Moments
87 Canada Cup Lemieux & Gretzky
90 - Lemieux's 5 goals 5 different ways
91 / 92 / 09 Cups
Lemieux playing half a season and winning the scoring race
2002 / 10 gold medal win

Least Favorite Moment
93 loss to islanders first rd when pens where heavy favorite
96 loss in conference finals to the Panthers
Lemieux hanging them up one final time due to never ending injuries
Pens filing bankruptcy and taking arguably a top 3 team in the league to a lowly botttom feeder.

Lemieux owns Gretzky
ToXXiK1 Posted - 02/12/2011 : 04:47:11
Favourite moments:

Mike Milbury beating a fan with his own shoe after his entire line went over the glass after him!
Also, Cam neely scoring 50 in 49 games, after a comeback bid from the cheapshot he took from Samuleson.

Worst moment:

Last year's playoffs..... damn Flyers!
Cam Neely finally hangin' them up, way to early.
ryan93 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 20:17:28
As a kid i was more of a Wayne Gretzky fan than i was of any particular team. I was a Kings fan growing up, briefly followed him to St.Louis then on to the Rangers, who i've been a fan of ever since. So unfortunately i missed out on the '94 Cup. So i'd have to either say the Kings run to the final in '93, the Rangers 96/97 playoff run to the Eastern Conference Final, or the 2005/06 season for a number of reasons...the Rangers making the playoffs for the first time since '97, Jaromir Jagr's NYR-record breaking season, having NHL hockey again after a year without, etc.

Worst...last years shootout loss to Philadelphia on the final day of the regular season certainly ranks right up there!
doublechamp7 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 19:28:19
I have a couple, there all team Canada, Crosby in OT in febuary, The Junior gold in 2009, Toews shootout hat trick.Etc.

Bring back the Jets!
Alex116 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 17:52:05
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

quote:

patrick stefan...
That's all I need to say

Go OILERS Go!!!

Semin, you know what i never really understood, Stefan took a beating in the media and hockey circles. I don't get it? The puck took a hop on him! It's not as though he was hot dogging and doing a spinorama or a between the legs shot or something? I guess because the Oilers came back to score with so little time it looked brutal, but it really wasn't his fault!!
semin-rules Posted - 02/11/2011 : 17:34:51
quote:

patrick stefan...
That's all I need to say

Go OILERS Go!!!

Guest4278 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 17:31:58
87: Gretzky to Lemieux. He shoots. He scores.

I can still picture it all these years like yesterday. Not only the goal but the entire series was awesome.

---

I"m not an Oilers fan but I can only imagine how they would feel 89: Smith behind his net passes up the middle. Scores.

Oh the horror!

Being a Habs fan at the time. Watching Roy yapping at the the Habs brass behind the bench after being embarrased by Detroit. You knew nothing good was ever going to come from that.
Alex116 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 16:55:38
Wow, there's been many. One that stands out is Bure's double OT goal in game 7 vs the Flames in '94 that not only erased a 3-1 series lead, but it put the Canucks on a path to the finals! I have to say though, as great a feeling as that was, i don't think it compares to how i felt when Sidney Crosby scored the OT winner last year to give Canada the gold! I'm getting goosebumps as i type this! It's hard to believe, its been almost a year as tomorrow marks the openning day (Feb 12, 2010). As much as i hope to see the Canucks hoist Lord Stanley's "Mug" one day, i have to say, sharing the Olympic moment with the whole country was something i'll never forget. Surely having it here in Vancouver prob added to the feeling!

I guess for worst moment, though i didn't really wanna throw a lamp or anything, i'd have to say the loss in game 7 in '94. It was especially tough being that the Canucks made it such a memorable series, one many fans/media say is the best ever Stanley Cup finals (certainly in the modern era). That game 7, with Linden scoring two to keep the Canucks close was unforgettable! When Nathan Lafayette's shot bounce out off the post behind Richter with under 5 mins left, it was like a dagger in the heart! As a Canucks fan, it was especially hard because we were such an underdog, but unlike the pasting we took in another improbable run (1982), we were oh so close!

Pasty7 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 16:28:27
Saku Koivu's return from cancer,,, the ovaition he was given was one of the greatest hockey moments of all time.

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
sahis34 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 16:16:28
patrick stefan...
That's all I need to say

Go OILERS Go!!!
nuxfan Posted - 02/11/2011 : 16:14:34
Best moment - Calgary Flames winning the cup in 1989. I was living in Calgary at the time, and was a huge Flames fan back then. The night they won the cup was the night of my high school graduation, and Terry Crisp's son was in our graduating class. After the cup win, in his interview, he congratulated our class, which was really icing on the cake. Our entire graduation ceremony came to a halt for the last 2 minutes of the 3rd period.

Worst moment - thats a hard one, there haven't been too many bad moments. Its probably a tie between the Bertuzzi punch on Moore (even at the time you knew it was going to be very bad for Bert, and it was), and the 2003 playoffs second round loss to MIN, after being up 3-1 in the series - my hate for MIN to this day stems from that loss, and I think its the source of the animosity that exists between the teams as well.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page