Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Leafs - Can they or can't they?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4249 Posted - 03/06/2011 : 11:24:34
Can the Leafs snap their 7 year playoff drought this year? If they do, how many games will it take Philly to knock them out?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Duke Posted - 03/07/2011 : 15:57:09
The leafs garner media attention all across Canada Nuxfan because they have FANS all across Canada. Toronto was part of the orginal 6 and still has many loyal, old fans.

As a leaf fan myself, i subscribe to NHL center ice and watch pretty much all their games. There is not an arena in North America ( i don`t just mean Canada ) where there isn`t leaf fans in attendance. It`s just amazing at how many Blue and White sweaters are in the seats of stadiums in NHL cities where you wouldn`t dream of thinking seeing leaf fans.

I`ve seen ( on TV of course ) maybe 500 - 600 leaf jersey`s at a hockey game in places like Nashville, that is just simply cult - like status. No other team in the NHL has a following like this...other than the Canadians maybe, they come close.

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadians ice hockey teams are on par with the New York Yankees, LA Lakers and Boston Celtics.........when it comes to fan base and notoriety.

This is why there is so much hatred toward both these clubs, you either love them or hate them.

Anyway you can hope for the leafs not to make the playoffs if you want, thats your call, i`m still cheering for Vancouver.

Boston will win the cup this year. No weaknesses on this team, other than team speed but above average goal scoring, toughness and two great goalies should do it for them.
Pasty7 Posted - 03/07/2011 : 09:06:21
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

nuxfan - I think you should actually cheer for a miracle Leafs comeback into the playoffs . . . it would take all the pressure and media away from Vancouver being the only true hope of Stanle returning to Canada!

Hm... no offense to CGY and MTL fans, but I think we've had that pressure since around Christmas

offense taken.... lol naw even as a hab fan the only true shot at a cup for us canucks is well the canucks,,, if the habs or the flames make a run for it i believe it would be a run like the habs last year where the magic runs out just a little bit short

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
nuxfan Posted - 03/07/2011 : 08:53:58
quote:

nuxfan - I think you should actually cheer for a miracle Leafs comeback into the playoffs . . . it would take all the pressure and media away from Vancouver being the only true hope of Stanle returning to Canada!

Hm... no offense to CGY and MTL fans, but I think we've had that pressure since around Christmas
Beans15 Posted - 03/07/2011 : 08:52:10
Normally, I would pose the question as not can they or can't they, it would be more like should they?? I watched the Oilers struggle year after year to get that 8th spot only to get knocked out early and not benefit from the draft pick position. To me, it's pointless. However, the Leafs are in a unique position in that making the playoffs even to get bounced early would be in their best interest. Not only would Boston not get as high a pick but the Leafs younger players would have the experience of playoff hockey.

So, for that the Leafs definitely SHOULD push for the playoffs. Unfortunately, I don't see them being able to. Below is the breakdown of their games remaining. (First team listed is away team)

TO vs NYI - TO should win(WIN)
PHI vs TO - Philly is sliding but is still a better team(LOSS)
BUF vs TO - BUF in the hunt for playoffs too (LOSS)
TB vs TO - TB sliding like Philly but a better tam (LOSS)
TO vs CAR - Playoffs push as well(WIN)
TO vs FLA - Might be important for my bet (WIN)
BOS vs TO - Boston is a beast (LOSS)
TO vs MIN - Minny pushing playoffs (LOSS)
TO vs COL - Colorado is in the tank (WIN)
TO vs DET - Detroit a better team (LOSS)
BUFF vs TO - Pushing for the playoffs (WIN)
TO vs BOS - Boston is a beast (LOSS)
TO vs OTT - Ottawa might be battling for #1 pick (WIN)
WAS vs TO - Washington peaking at the right time (LOSS)
TO vs NJ - Might have Playoffs implications (LOSS)
MON vs TO - Nothing game by this point (WIN)

So I predict the best the Leafs will do is go 7-9 (or a similar record to gain the same number of points) giving them 14 points in the final 16 games and a total of 81 points. Normally not enough to make the playoffs. But, it just might be enough to win a conveted avatar.
n/a Posted - 03/07/2011 : 05:29:28

Like I have said before - odds are definitely against it happening, but they have had an amazing run so far. I don't think it will happen, but . . . I will cheer heartily for them all the way to that last game against Montreal - hopefully, it has some meaning.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
MrBoogedy Posted - 03/07/2011 : 00:01:53
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the leafs do this every year? They blow for most of the season and then make a run late in the year for the last spot, not getting it, and in effect giving themselves a worse place in the draft.
I am also a habs fan and I don't want nor expect the leafs to take the last spot... i just hate them with unadulterated paasion, and I love watching them make it harder on themselves.
Pasty7 Posted - 03/06/2011 : 23:39:52
I'm a habs fan as most of you know... and i would love to see the Leafs make it to the post season, unfortunatly i think Buffalo is going to have the 8th spot with more points and games in hand,, the Rangers would be the only tesm i could see dropping out i think the Canes and Sabres will be ahead iof the leafs ,

Oh and did i not say at the begining of the year the habs would finish 6th or 5th and the leafs would be battling for the final 2 playoff spots with about 5 other teams,,,, oh hell yeah i did!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
nuxfan Posted - 03/06/2011 : 23:01:38
quote:

I'd love to see the Leafs make the playoffs

I hope they don't - the only way we get any sort of balanced hockey reporting in Canada is during the playoffs, because the Leaf's aren't playing.
ryan93 Posted - 03/06/2011 : 19:27:13
I'd love to see the Leafs make the playoffs! Obviously not if it means knocking the Rangers out of the top 8, but i hope they find a way to take the spot currently occupied by Buffalo. They are only 5 points back so anything is possible, but unfortunately i just don't see it happening. The Leafs have really surprised me this season though, i had them destined for the basement in the East again this year.
Alex116 Posted - 03/06/2011 : 19:02:15
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4278

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4249

Can the Leafs snap their 7 year playoff drought this year? If they do, how many games will it take Philly to knock them out?

Might as well go and plan that parade route. Oh wait TO already did at the beginning of the season with that 4 game winning streak.

C'mon guest, don't get Leaf Nation upset!!!
Guest4278 Posted - 03/06/2011 : 18:22:40
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4249

Might as well go and plan that parade route. Oh wait TO already did at the beginning of the season with that 4 game winning streak.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page