Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Free Agency 2011

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FutureKesler Posted - 05/19/2011 : 22:39:36
What moves will your team make

Ryan Kesler is a BEAST!
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 05/25/2011 : 05:18:51
I am still getting over the shock of reading Beans' comments on the Leafs top 6 forwards . . . what a difference a year makes!

quote:
"I think Burke's wish would be to pick up a FA rather than trade. Their top 6 forward group looks quite deep already with many interchangable parts. Add a top line centre into the mix of Lupul, Kessel, Kulimen, Grabovksi, and MacArthur. That would be pretty sweet."

I think I would like to frame it. and below it, put the many quotes he made on how terrible and thin the Leafs forward group looked like, rofl.

Ah, good times.

Back to reality though - looking at my Leafs:
I think Burke continues his quest for a true top line center, and I think he has now been totally convinced that Grabovski is a keeper. Hell, I am convinced! I'll be the first to admit that two years ago and especially before the start of last year, that I wanted him gone in a trade. But he has blossomed into a heart and soul, energy guy with real skill and scoring pop. He would be a good team's second line centre.

The reason I mention this before talking about who the Leafs might target, is that assets coming in mean assets going out. And I think that as nice a project as Lupul is/was, he might go while his stock has risen considerably from when the Leafs got him as an "add-on". I think Kadri is still firmly in the Leaf plans, but he might not be playing center with them, and either way, they give him another year to either make it or fail. Kulemin and Kessel stay for sure - that is a solid 1-2 scoring punch right now, with a solid and consistent performer in Kuli, and the high-end streaky skill of Kessel, who has 40+ goal potential.

That leaves MacArthur, and Lupul. Two reclaimed projects . . . and as much as I loved MacArthur in the beginning of last year, if these two were packaged (with other picks on both sides rounding out the deal) for a Brad Richards, or heaven forbid a Mike Richards (who might be feuding with the coach/management), I'd jump at it.

I honestly can't see MacArthur doing another 60 point season . . . he just doesn't have that high end skill level, but bless him for his effort. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one, but there it is.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nuxfan Posted - 05/24/2011 : 23:28:20
quote:

Bruins and lightning don't really have to do anything. Would like to see Boston sing Richards but they don't have the cap space

I would argue that TB has a fair amount to do actually - primarily with a starting goalie of any calibre. They're riding Roloson right now, but I don't think a 41 year old goaltender fits into their picture next year. Both their goalies are UFA after this season, and I'd be surprised if either one are back next year.

They also need to add to their defense, mainly offensively-speaking - after Kubina and up-and-coming Hedman, things get pretty shallow pretty fast.

I hope TB does tinker the way they need to, they have such a talented offensive core that it would be a shame to not back it up with a good defense and goaltending.
ryan93 Posted - 05/24/2011 : 15:58:44
Rafalski was still a very good defensemen though. He had 48 points in 63 games this past season, which would of put him on pace for 62 over 82 games...which would of been a personal best (career high was 59). He was awesome in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver too!
Alex116 Posted - 05/24/2011 : 15:30:36
Detroit will have some good money to spend as someone mentioned, due to Rafalski's departure. Still gotta wonder about Lidstrom? If he chooses to retire, there's another 6+ mil off the books! However, you have to figure that with Datsyuk and Z still in their primes plus the core of their role players all signed still (Filpulla, Franzen, Bert, Helm, Cleary, Hudler, etc), Detroit will prob make a big play or 2 in the FA market and try to take another run at the big prize before any major remake happens! Then again, do the Red Wings EVER actually rebuild? Lol.

Interesting, when you think about it, the Rafalski retirement (assuming it's confirmed) actually prob makes them a better team as he's on the decline and they can now go after someone with his money coming available!
Beans15 Posted - 05/24/2011 : 14:53:26
quote:
Originally posted by foolpittier

quote:
Originally posted by Guest8149

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4927

the red wings need to do something, but a maxed out cap leaves you with little to play with.

The Red Wings may have an extra $6 million to play with for the 2011-2012 season.

According to Sportsnet (and also reported on nhl.com), Brian Rafalski may be announcing his retirement. Could it be a ploy for more money (or an extended contract)? I don't think so. He has one year left on his contract, and for $6 million.

sounds good to me, maybe they'll add alittle more youth, or a real goalie.

Did you say a real goalie?? What's wrong with Howard?? He did his job all season and playoffs. I think most would agree that Howard kept the Wings in the series against SJ more than most would have expected him to.

Howard is fine. Detroit is starting to show their age and they do need a youth injection, but nothing too serious. 2-3 players and they are still near the top of the West.
foolpittier Posted - 05/24/2011 : 12:19:15
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8149

quote:

the red wings need to do something, but a maxed out cap leaves you with little to play with.

The Red Wings may have an extra $6 million to play with for the 2011-2012 season.

According to Sportsnet (and also reported on nhl.com), Brian Rafalski may be announcing his retirement. Could it be a ploy for more money (or an extended contract)? I don't think so. He has one year left on his contract, and for $6 million.

sounds good to me, maybe they'll add alittle more youth, or a real goalie.
Beans15 Posted - 05/24/2011 : 11:57:15
I guess my next question would be is Pavalski that top line centre?? Is he not playing 3rd line right now behind Thornton and Couture in SJ?? I don't see Pavalski as a big step up on Grabovski either.

I think Burke's wish would be to pick up a FA rather than trade. Their top 6 forward group looks quite deep already with many interchangable parts. Add a top line centre into the mix of Lupul, Kessel, Kulimen, Grabovksi, and MacArthur. That would be pretty sweet.

Guest2712 Posted - 05/24/2011 : 10:06:14
Laich 6-2 200lbs vs. Garbovski 5-11 183lbs. true not that significant, but i think significant enough. and i think that Laich is more a Burke type player.
and like you said, with Garbovski coming off a break out season his stock could be high enough to be part of a trade that brings in a top line center.
Beans15 Posted - 05/24/2011 : 08:45:26
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2712

Burke has made it very clear that he needs more size up front. he might make a play for Laich as his no. 2 center. which might make Grabovski expendible, and if that's the case he could try to package him in a trade for another center like Pavelski.
it's probably a bit of a stretch, but these days with the cap in play you never know what can happen.

This doesn't make much sense to me. Why drop Grabovski?? Is he not coming off a break out season?? 29 goals an 58 points for Grabovski is the same as Laich's best season. They are the same age and Laich does not bring that substantial of a size improvement.

This doesn't add anything for the Leafs.
Guest2712 Posted - 05/24/2011 : 05:29:50
Burke has made it very clear that he needs more size up front. he might make a play for Laich as his no. 2 center. which might make Grabovski expendible, and if that's the case he could try to package him in a trade for another center like Pavelski.
it's probably a bit of a stretch, but these days with the cap in play you never know what can happen.
ryan93 Posted - 05/23/2011 : 18:08:09
I just heard that too about Rafalski on HNIC, i'm very surprised he's retiring, wasn't expecting it!
Guest8149 Posted - 05/23/2011 : 17:26:01
And as far as the Rangers go, they have $6.5 million tied up with Wade Redden's contract. (And for three more seasons.). Good thing this doesn't affect their cap space, unless he returns to play in the NHL.

Redden makes more money playing in the AHL than the entire roster of teams he's playing! What happened to this guy? He's not that old (he turns 34 in June), and he has 994 NHL games under his belt. Will he get to 1,000? Or is he finished as an NHLer?
Guest8149 Posted - 05/23/2011 : 17:05:00
quote:

Awesome One Posted - 05/23/2011 : 16:35:01
Bruins and lightning don't really have to do anything. Would like to see Boston sing Richards but they don't have the cap space

Making the world more awesome, one step at a time!
Sensfan101 Posted - 05/23/2011 : 14:35:40
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7612

quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

I hope Bryan Murray doesn't do to much. The only things he really needs to do is sign a backup (I think Mcelhiny) is a good fit and sign a depth forward or two such as Brooks Laich.

You're joking, right?

'
About what? I don't want him to do to much because the Sens are rebuilding.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
foolpittier Posted - 05/23/2011 : 14:00:20
sorry, forgot to sign in.
Guest4927 Posted - 05/23/2011 : 13:58:40
Pasty7 Posted - 05/22/2011 : 12:26:26
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Glen Sather has a lot of work ahead of him this summer. 5 key players are all RFA's in Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Brian Boyle & Michael Sauer. All are in line for big raises, as last season they only made $6 million COMBINED. Matt Gilroy is also a RFA.

As for their UFA's...i'd like to see Sather bring back Vinny Prospal & Ruslan Fedotenko, while letting go Bryan McCabe & Steve Eminger.

And finally, they are in desperate need of a #1 center & a powerplay quaterback...Brad Richards would fill both of those voids.

New york has alway been a place where big players want to play so if Sather can clear up the cap room Ricahrds landing their will be a possibility. They will surly have to compete with Toronto and a few other teams i wouldn't be surprised to see Edmonton maybe consider him, Columbus should break the bank and sign him to play with Nash that fanchise needs to win next year to get it's fan base back, If you really want i'm sure Gauthier would give you Gomez back if the Rangers are really looking for a center .... I really think the Rangers if they are well managed over te next few years will be a dangerous team. Mcdoungh (the guy the habs gave away for Gomez) is going to be a start i am sure of it! Staal Girardi i mean the Rangers D is set for the next decade if they are smart about it! Goaltending is set for at least another 6 to 8 years Lundquvist in't even 30 yet! guys like Brian Boyle are good young talent and guys to hold on to, like i said the rangers play their cards right they will be good for a while!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Guest7612 Posted - 05/22/2011 : 11:43:09
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

I hope Bryan Murray doesn't do to much. The only things he really needs to do is sign a backup (I think Mcelhiny) is a good fit and sign a depth forward or two such as Brooks Laich.

You're joking, right?
Guest7742 Posted - 05/22/2011 : 10:44:18
the rangers can have paul stastny for lundqvist actually i donno if thats really fair for either team the avs just need a goalie desperately and i don't want them to go out and throw bryzgalov or vokoun money that neither of those lazy beach combers deserve.
Sensfan101 Posted - 05/20/2011 : 18:04:31

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
ryan93 Posted - 05/20/2011 : 16:23:01
Glen Sather has a lot of work ahead of him this summer. 5 key players are all RFA's in Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Brian Boyle & Michael Sauer. All are in line for big raises, as last season they only made $6 million COMBINED. Matt Gilroy is also a RFA.

As for their UFA's...i'd like to see Sather bring back Vinny Prospal & Ruslan Fedotenko, while letting go Bryan McCabe & Steve Eminger.

And finally, they are in desperate need of a #1 center & a powerplay quaterback...Brad Richards would fill both of those voids.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page