Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Rink Stink!
 When is it going to stop??

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The 4th Line Banger Posted - 03/11/2011 : 16:16:26
Max Paciorretty will be out what is certain to be at least rest of this season following a hit by Zdeno Chara. There is an endless amount of argument around the hit but in the end the only two things I can see consistent in virtually every argument is that no one wants to see anyone getting hurt and something does have to be done about players getting hurt.

The NHL wasn’t always like this. There was something back in the day that ruled over the rules. Call it ‘The Code” or whatever title you want to give to it, but there was honor and respect in the game that is simply no longer present. There was a time when a fight was not the immediate response to a clean hit and players ‘took numbers’ and doled out their retribution in a way that was within the confines of the rules. Even retribution was done in a way that honored the game and those privileged enough to play it for a living. I am not saying that hockey players were Saints, but things were at least in control.

Those days are gone. The question is can we get them back??

I don’t think anyone knows exactly when the game began to deteriorate or the reasons why. Those things really aren’t important. What is important is what is being done to fix it?? What is being done to return this great game to one of honor and respect??

The easy answer is blaming the NHL. Hang Bettman from the rafters! He’s gotta go, get someone new in there that’s gonna fix everything. It’s a wonderful thought to think of an actual hockey guy running the NHL and all those who need it will get their pound of flesh and be happy for a little while. But that doesn’t fix the problem. It has taken years if not decades for the game to regress to where it is today and it’s a far bigger problem than one person or even just the NHL administration can fix.

Where is the NHLPA fining their players for their actions??? Oh, that’s right. If a player is injured he is still getting paid and contributing to that escrow, so why would the PA want to do something about it??

Where are the GM’s taking punishments into their own hands?? Where is Peter Charielli benching Chara for the next 3 games and docking his pay??? Well, the Bruins are in the hunt for a division title and its win at all costs, right?? Plus, that NHLPA we just discussed would have Boston’s junk in the sling over that wouldn’t they??

Where are the owner’s ensuring their ‘assets’ are protected by insisting consistency in arena, equipment, and discipline???

Where are the players using some simple logic that should be part of everyone’s psyche that tells them that inflicting injury on another human is not the right thing to do?

Finally, where are you? Yes, I am talking to you Mr. Insatiable Hockey Fan?? You complain about it. You don’t like it. What are you going to do about it?? I’ll tell you what you are doing about it. Nothing! Fans vote with their wallets. They stop spending and the NHL has to listen. Ok, so you say you aren’t going to pay for the tickets anymore, so what?? The NHL makes their money off TV anyway. So you are going to stop watching hockey?? Yeah, right. Even if you stopped watching Hockey Night in Canada it wouldn’t matter. Every time you pick up your 6 pack of Canadian, take an airplane ride, drink a Coca-Cola product, stop in your local Timmy’s in the morning for your double-double, etc, you are supporting the NHL and ultimately telling them you like what you see. You are paying for it, right??

So, how is this massive issue fixed??? That is the billion dollar question. All I know this problem is too big and too wide spread to have the responsibility of the fix to just one party. It’s an involvement of all parties involved to solve the issues.

Have an opinion on The Fourth Line Banger's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page