Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Chicago
 Devils Are NHL's Overtime Champs

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4306 Posted - 12/20/2011 : 19:39:22
The New Jersey Devils appear to be having a good season so far with a record of 18 wins, 14 losses, and one overtime loss in 33 games at this point in the season.

On closer look though, they have recorded half (nine) of their victories in overtime. They deserve full credit for every extra point earned in overtime, but how long will their luck last?

They have won 9 out of 10 games which have gone into overtime. They won two of those games in the five minute overtime period, and in the 8 games which have gone to the shoot-out, they have only lost one time!

What's their secret in the shoot-out? A big reason is Zach Parise! Parise has scored a goal (in most cases the deciding goal) in 6 of their 7 shoot-out victories. (He's 6 for 8 in the shoot-out this season.) Another factor is their goaltender - Martin Brodeur - who has played very well in their shoot-out victories.

Once again, the Devils deserve full credit for their current place in the standings, but they shouldn't kid themselves. With only 9 regulation wins in 33 games, their "luck" (and there is a bit of luck in the shoot-out) is bound to run out!

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4306 Posted - 12/21/2011 : 15:58:02
Lucky bounces do happen for and against, but not always the same for both teams. You do acknowledge luck plays a role, so it's just a matter to what extent.

To put a number on it (which is hard to do), I attribute the Devils success in shootouts to 95% performance and 5% luck.

I sincerely doubt their overtime skill would repeat itself if they were to play in 10 more overtime games this season. (Winning 9 ou of 10.)

I will give you an example of luck as it relates to the team for which you portray your identity on this forum. (The Canucks.) In 1994, the Canucks lost 3-2 in game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals, and they hit the post with about a minute to play which would have forced overtime. Most people would say that was bad luck for the Canucks and good luck for the Rangers. I'm sure Canucks fans (and some players) uttered those words. If I was on the Rangers bench (or a Rangers fan), I may have said "we got lucky there."

This takes nothing away from the Rangers, and that they fully deserved to win the game , the series, and the Cup. They didn't win the cup because of luck. But they're lucky that Nathan LaFayate's shot hit the post! In this case, I give the Rangers 99% credit for their Stanley Cup win in 1994, and 1% to luck.

nuxfan Posted - 12/21/2011 : 15:33:02
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4306

As stated, I give the Devils full credit for their place in the standings. And I also applaud them for their success in overtime.

But one cannot deny the eliminate of luck in all sports, and hockey is no different. In one-goal games, a lucky bounce here, a post or crossbar there, or a bad penalty, etc. can be the difference between winning or losing. Most of the time, the better team wins, but not always.

Lucky bounces happen during the regular course of any game, both for and against. You don't have to be in OT or a shootout to experience luck.

Again, I'm not sure why you chalk up the Devil's success in OT to luck. Their inability to win games in regulation might come back to bite them in the playoffs when there is no 4-on-4 OT or shootout, but I don't think that its necessarily luck that has gotten them wins in OT.
Guest4306 Posted - 12/21/2011 : 15:05:18
As stated, I give the Devils full credit for their place in the standings. And I also applaud them for their success in overtime.

But one cannot deny the eliminate of luck in all sports, and hockey is no different. In one-goal games, a lucky bounce here, a post or crossbar there, or a bad penalty, etc. can be the difference between winning or losing. Most of the time, the better team wins, but not always.

And when you get to overtime (4-on-4 for five minutes), there can be a fine line between winning or losing, and while the winning team deserves credit for winning, sometimes there's a bit of luck involved.

When you get to the shootout (which is more of a skills contest than a hockey game), luck can play a roll. I've watched hundreds of shootouts, and I've seen my share of pucks bouncing around on bad ice, whiffed shots, posts, crossbars, and lucky shots or saves. Even players admit they get lucky from time to time. (And I'm not talking about off-ice antics!)

Once again, the best team usually comes out on top in a hockey game, and it's mostly due to skill, playmaking, goaltending, etc., but to deny that luck can play a factor (especially in close games, and in particular, games which go to overtime) is choosing to ignore a reality which exists in all sports, not just hockey.

It's not my quote, but "you gotta be lucky to be good, and good to be lucky."

To be clear, "good" wins most of the time, but luck does play a roll sometimes.
nuxfan Posted - 12/20/2011 : 22:51:26
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4306
They deserve full credit for every extra point earned in overtime, but how long will their luck last?

Why do you chalk their success in OT up to luck?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page