Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Murray. Iginla?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
umteman Posted - 03/25/2013 : 16:05:14
Maybe the Pens had immediate regreats at trading a promising blue liner as they then went out and aquired Doug Murray for a couple draft picks. Murray gives them a real physical presence on defense.

Also word has it that the Penguins are on the list of teams that Jarome Iginla would be willing to waive his no trade clause for.

Wow, think of the team they would be then!

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 03/29/2013 : 00:31:27
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Leigh, agreed, Iggy's got some gas left in the tank for sure. But, didn't Bourque play another year after the trade? And wasn't it actually year 2 when he won the cup and retired, off into the sunset?

Yeah he played out the last couple months and then took them to the conference finals. They won the next full season.

....and it was a thing of beauty!
leigh Posted - 03/29/2013 : 00:29:04
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Leigh, agreed, Iggy's got some gas left in the tank for sure. But, didn't Bourque play another year after the trade? And wasn't it actually year 2 when he won the cup and retired, off into the sunset?

Yeah he played out the last couple months and then took them to the conference finals. They won the next full season.
Guest8260 Posted - 03/29/2013 : 00:18:11
Iginla said today that was planning to play for another 5 years...

"I hope to play five more years," he said. (The trade) makes me realize how fast the other 16 years have gone." - Jarome Iginla - www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419316
Pasty7 Posted - 03/28/2013 : 17:21:38
Yeah Given Iginla's durability over the course of his career i wouldn't be shocked to see him play at 40 !

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Alex116 Posted - 03/28/2013 : 17:17:16

leigh Posted - 03/28/2013 : 16:55:45
Not quite Alex116. Bourque knew he was in his last year. I'm confident Iggy has another 3 or 4 years left. If he won a cup this year he wouldn't hang them up, he'd try for another.
umteman Posted - 03/28/2013 : 16:46:04
And I will agree.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Alex116 Posted - 03/28/2013 : 16:33:44
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

So you think Iggy is in the Ray Bourque phase of his career; "please God, just one cup before I hang 'em up!"

I absolutely believe this, otherwise i think he'd have stuck around in Calgary!
umteman Posted - 03/28/2013 : 15:51:54
So you think Iggy is in the Ray Bourque phase of his career; "please God, just one cup before I hang 'em up!"

Alex116 Posted - 03/28/2013 : 15:23:40
Umteman....from what i understand, even with Iggy's 7M, they're still 4M under the cap? It's next year where they'll prob have some problems if they plan on re-signing Jarome as the cap drops and they'll be in a different position. Having said that, if the Pens get close and don't win it all this year, i wouldn't doubt that Iggy would settle for a little less if it means another shot at a ring with Crosby and Co.
umteman Posted - 03/28/2013 : 15:08:13
Really what the Pens gave was a pittance for a future hall of famer. I really don't know how they even managed the cap space without giving a roster player, never mind getting Iginla for a couple prospects.

umteman Posted - 03/28/2013 : 15:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4377

Not traded for a bag of pucks, but definitely not players ready to help the Flames today. The Flames are reported to get Alexander Khokhlachev, defenseman Matt Bartkowski and a first-round draft pick, which will probably be a top 5 pick.

Good for Iginla to get a chance to win a cup. It wasn't going to happen in Calgary.

And I can't see it not happening in Pittsburgh now. And I don't mean just this year but at least back to back for the second time!

Guest4377 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 21:40:30
Not traded for a bag of pucks, but definitely not players ready to help the Flames today. The Flames are reported to get Alexander Khokhlachev, defenseman Matt Bartkowski and a first-round draft pick, which will probably be a top 5 pick.

Good for Iginla to get a chance to win a cup. It wasn't going to happen in Calgary.
Guest4672 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 17:19:44
He is off to Boston for a bag of pucks and 3 empty water bottles.
Guest4377 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 17:18:56
Iginla is a healthy scratch for tonight's game between the Flames and Avalanche.

Hmmmmm....
nuxfan Posted - 03/27/2013 : 16:50:46
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2332

does anyone else feel like pittsburgh drastically overpaid for these two acquisitions which marginally improve their team... which was btw already on a 11 or 12 game winning streak

Brendan Morrow for Joe Morrow: Hard to say, I haven't seen Joe Morrow play, but from what I hear he's a highly touted prospect, so I guess time will tell. Brendan Morrow is a good addition though, and if other teams wanted him the price was probably pushed higher than it could have been. Plus, he's only 34 and is UFA next year, if PIT can resign him for the next 3-4 years it might be worth it. He's the kind of hard nosed physical player that teams want going into the playoffs

Douglas Murray for 2nd round pick. Given PIT's standing, this pick looks to be between 55 and 60 overall. Again, for a depth player with huge physical upside, I think its probably worth it.

Ultimately, if PIT wins the cup both trades will have been worth it, so we'll see where we are in the summer.
Alex116 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 10:55:08
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2332

does anyone else feel like pittsburgh drastically overpaid for these two acquisitions which marginally improve their team... which was btw already on a 11 or 12 game winning streak

I don't think so at all. As far as the 2nd round draft picks, they can be a total crapshoot to begin with and all it does is affect the Pens farm system, which is already in pretty good shape. "Hockey Futures" lists under strengths for the Pens as far as prospects go, "forwards with top 9 potential", "many NHL ready prospects" and "size and depth on defense"!

The Morrow for Morrow deal, as has been mentioned, was done because the Pens have other offensive dmen in waiting. Not only do they have Letang, they've got Simon Despres, who's already played at the NHL level (recently sent down but played most of the year in the NHL this season), Derrik Pouliot and Olli Maatta, all of whom are close to NHL ready!

Teams which have an above average shot at winning the cup are often not shy about adding these sorts of playoff proven veterans for a cup run. I see nothing wrong with the Pens sacrificing a small bit of their future to shore up what is already a very impressive team! They are, imo, the favorites for the cup today with no disrespect to Chicago.

ETA....apparently Despres was just recalled today to the Pens.
Guest2332 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 09:59:04
nuxfan Posted - 03/25/2013 : 17:44:45
even if PIT didn't have many offensive dman prospects, they already have one of the very best offensive dmen in the NHL in Letang, and he is only 25 so lots of years to go for him. I just read in another thread that teams only need one offensive dman at any given time, so they're set for quite a few years...

In return, they got a monster in Murray, which is the sort of player any team going deep needs to have. 6'3, 240lbs, and uses every pound of it to shutdown opposing players. Playing in the west we see our fair share of him. The only knock against him is he is not the fastest dman on the planet... but if he gets you in his sights watch out.
Guest4315 Posted - 03/25/2013 : 16:20:25
Heard on the radio today that Pens got rid of J.Morrow because they had lots of offensive defense prospects. Also Morrow is apparently a hit or miss depending on who you ask, any opinions?

Looks to me like the Pens gave up a bunch of nothing for 2 veterans in the NHL. Sure maybe Morrow and the picks given might become superstars or even just regular NHLer's. As of now though Dallas and San Jose are banking on hope where Pitts just built up their depth very nicely. Doug Murray has been in the playoffs for how many years straight now? Thats some good veteran exp. on D! As if the Pens were not already favorites to win the cup.

Also I'm really doubting the Iggy to Pens deal now. 1) Iggy has family in Calgary who likely is not moving across country, therfore I would assume Iggy will want to stay closer to home. Maybe L.A. or Anaheim. 2) Does Pit still have enough Prospects or Picks to make this trade happen? 3) Does Pit still have enough cap space for Iggy?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page