Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Canada's Second Team

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4178 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 14:58:34
Selecting the roster for Canada's Olympic team is easy, but try picking players for a second team! :)

I'm kidding of course, but when looking at the "scraps," Canada could ice a pretty good "second" team, one which could compete for a medal. Here are my selections (made very quickly I might add, so it's quite possible a player on my list is already on the team):

Goalies:

Jonathan Bernier
Corey Crawford
Josh Harding

Defencemen:

Dan Boyle
Brent Seabrook
Mark Giordano
Jason Garrison
Dion Phaneuf
Mike Green
Chris Letang
Justin Schultz

Forwards:

Jordan Eberle
Claude Giroux
Taylor Hall
Jarome Iginla
Bryan Little
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
David Perron
James Neal
Martin St. Louis
Tyler Seguin
Jeff Skinner
Jason Spezza
Eric Staal
Joe Thornton

That's a pretty good line-up.

I'm probably overlooking a few players (Beauchemin and Campbell come to mind on defense), and how about Ben Scrivens or Cam Talbot for goalies? On the forward side, Canada has a depth of talent there (including Logan Couture who is injured), but what about Mike or Brad Richards, Nathan Mackinnon, Matt Moulson, Jaden Schwartz or Kyle Turris to name a few?
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest6382 Posted - 01/15/2014 : 23:59:15
Hey Slozo! With all of your non-eligible picks made, it's only a matter of time before you pick the oft-maligned Sam Gagner for Canada's second team!
mandree888 Posted - 01/14/2014 : 12:32:48
REALLY SLOZO!!!! SHULTZ OVER MARC STAAL!!!!!
Alex116 Posted - 01/14/2014 : 11:42:45
And there you have it folks.....Slozo's official Canadian B team!

Wait.....isn't Boychuk......j/k, he's Canadian (though admittedly i had to double check!)
n/a Posted - 01/14/2014 : 09:11:51
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Slozo....pretty sure Cam Fowler made team USA for Sochi.

Back to the editing......

OMG!!! I'd like to say I did this on purpose to get another laugh . . . but sadly, I'm just rushing things. And I should have REMEMBERED Fowler was american, sure I knew that at some point . . .

ok, I give up. No more edits!
I sub in . . . Schultz for Fowler.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 01/12/2014 : 12:35:56
Slozo....pretty sure Cam Fowler made team USA for Sochi.

Back to the editing......
n/a Posted - 01/12/2014 : 10:07:42
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9825

quote:
Originally posted by slozo
*Had to re-edit this . . . and put Steen on this team, deserves it over RNH. As a back-up, but first choice as winger to play I would say . . .

Pretty sure Steen isn't Canadian. More edits needed.

Will re-edit. Thought that because he was born in Manitoba, that he could be put on the Canadian team . . . but apparently he plays for Sweden.

I have to think that he would have a tough choice, whether to play for Canada B, or Sweden A . . . especially as it would represent his first shot at playing for a team Canada. When he wasn't in consideration for it, I can totally understand him wanting to play for team Sweden, I get that . . . but who knows if there was a Canada team B?

At any rate, I'll switch it up again, assuming he'd stay with team Sweden.

RNH is back in.

Guest9825 Posted - 01/12/2014 : 08:52:37
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
*Had to re-edit this . . . and put Steen on this team, deserves it over RNH. As a back-up, but first choice as winger to play I would say . . .

Pretty sure Steen isn't Canadian. More edits needed.
n/a Posted - 01/12/2014 : 07:29:28
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Slozo.......I can see the headlines now!

Team Canada "B" has gold medal stipped due to ineligible players!

Sochi, Russia - It's been reported that the "B" team that Canada sent to the Olympics and won the gold medal will have their medals stripped from them due to the ineligibility of a few players. It's been discovered that Jay Bouwmeester played for both the "A" squad and the "B" squad and Kevin Shattenkirk was ineligible as an American citizen who also played for Team USA! Credit these two for being in incredible enough shape to play on 2 teams each however both were fortunate that their 2 teams didn't meet one another and leave these guys with a tough decision!

Lol, all kidding aside as I know these were oversight's on your part, I do think you've made some damn good forward lines! Only changes I'd make would be a swap of Neal and Eberle and I'd consider Brent Burns to play with his SJ mates instead of Iggy, with Iggy dropping to the spot currently occupied by J. Staal who would move to the "extra" spot that RNH would vacate when moved to the "C" squad.

You're a terrible man! Ok, I'll edit my team below.

Burns - no, I actually thought of him, but no - Iginla is a huge step up from him in experience, slightly in skill.

Neal was the toughest for me . . . and I had him on my team for the first couple of drafts, had him off, but then had to opt for adding him on again. RNH I think is a key young guy that if playing, would be great on the pp with Crosby et al, and is there to get experience. If Spezza gets hurt, then yeah, you put the Oilers together . . . but otherwise, Spezza is an upgrade right now. But regardless, I think it's key to have the two wingers who know each other so well (Eberle and Hall) . . . they have excellent chemistry, and without Crosby around, Neal is just not the same calibre of player, sorry.

And yes, I think this 4th line is awesome - better 4th line than Canada A's, in my opinion, in terms of defence and skill and toughness combined.

Skinner - Giroux - St. Louis
Hall - Spezza - Eberle
Iginla - Thornton - Couture
J.Staal - E. Staal - Lucic
**RNH, Neal

Phaneuf - Letang
M. Green - Seabrook
Boychuk - Giordiano
Garrison, Fowler

Crawford
Bernier
Holtby

** Had to re-re-edit this. Steen is on team Sweden, RNH goes back in. Happy now?!?

Alex116 Posted - 01/10/2014 : 22:52:12
Slozo.......I can see the headlines now!

Team Canada "B" has gold medal stipped due to ineligible players!

Sochi, Russia - It's been reported that the "B" team that Canada sent to the Olympics and won the gold medal will have their medals stripped from them due to the ineligibility of a few players. It's been discovered that Jay Bouwmeester played for both the "A" squad and the "B" squad and Kevin Shattenkirk was ineligible as an American citizen who also played for Team USA! Credit these two for being in incredible enough shape to play on 2 teams each however both were fortunate that their 2 teams didn't meet one another and leave these guys with a tough decision!

Lol, all kidding aside as I know these were oversight's on your part, I do think you've made some damn good forward lines! Only changes I'd make would be a swap of Neal and Eberle and I'd consider Brent Burns to play with his SJ mates instead of Iggy, with Iggy dropping to the spot currently occupied by J. Staal who would move to the "extra" spot that RNH would vacate when moved to the "C" squad.

n/a Posted - 01/10/2014 : 17:31:35
Who's making a joke of it? There SHOULD be an ability for Canada (or the US, Sweden, Russia, whoever) to make another team and enter it. It would have to be based on artificial rankings of course . . . but Canada would easily have the best B team of anyone! I mean, in many other sports - TEAM sports - they allow multiple entries in the Olympics . . . why not hockey?

Anyways, here's mine:

Skinner - Giroux - St. Louis
Hall - Spezza - Eberle
Iginla - Thornton - Couture
J.Staal - E. Staal - Lucic
Nugent-Hopkins, Neal

Phaneuf - Letang
M. Green - Seabrook
Bouwmeester - Giordiano
Shattenkirk, Boychuk
Garrison,

Crawford
Bernier
Holtby

This team medals, I tell ya!

Guest7175 Posted - 01/10/2014 : 16:25:48
Team B would legit beat team A except for goaltending. Kunitz and Marleau are hot garbage relative to some of the younger guys available.
Guest4088 Posted - 01/09/2014 : 18:37:55
ray emery should be on the grinder team for sure
Guest4014 Posted - 01/09/2014 : 14:25:09
John Scott - Brandon Prust - Paul "BizNasty" Bissonette
Colton Orr - Zac Rinaldo - Chris Neil
Brian McGrattan - Steve Ott - Matt Cooke
Dan Carcillo - Frazer McLaren - Raffi Torres
Sean Avery (Available off the bench coming out of retirement)

Matt Carkner - Mark Fistric
Andrew Ference - Shane O'Brien
Mike Weaver - Ryan Constant

Martin Biron
Jason Labarbera
Jose Theodore

Easy contenders for the Sochi 2014 Gold Medal. I present Team Canada Grinder Edition.
Guest2262 Posted - 01/09/2014 : 11:59:54
I'm still waiting for Marc Staal to show up somewhere on that defenseman list...
Guest5052 Posted - 01/09/2014 : 11:29:32
We can all agree that Canada has an abundance of star quality depth.

I find the most telling fantasy view is that if you took say Crosby and Stamkos off the A team and put them on the B team (whoever you like) it would be difficulty to pick between them. Certainly on paper that team looks like a legit contender.

we were always going to wonder about the players left off the team, but I tend to trust the process that they werent always picking the best players, they looked for the best squad.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/09/2014 : 09:04:08
Sub Burns for Evander, drop Burns to the 7th d position which he could move to forward if needed, add Sequin as the 13th forward, Moulson as the 14th, add Harmonic as the 8th dman picked and I think team B would give Canada's announced roster a run in the Olympics.

Couture - Thornton - Kane
Hall - Giroux - Neal
Lucic - E.Staal - Eberle
Ladd - M.Richards - St.Louis
Sequin-Moulson

Campbell - Seabrook
Giordano - Boyle
Phaneuf - Letang
Burns-Harmonic

Crawford
Fleury
Holtby
Guest0166 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 17:26:46
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2080

Canada B:

Couture - Thornton - Burns
Hall - Giroux - Neal
Lucic - E.Staal - Eberle

Campbell - Seabrook
Giordano - Boyle
Phaneuf - Letang

Crawford
Fleury
Holtby

Canada C:

Moulson - J.Staal - Doan
O'Reilly - Spezza - MacKinnon
Skinner - Little - Perron
Schwartz - Turris - E.Kane

Garrison - Bieksa
MacDonald - Hamonic
Brodie - Girardi

Bernier
Harding
Mason

Canada D:

MacArthur - Nugent-Hopkins - Iginla
B.Richards - Johansen - Simmonds
B.Schenn - Cogliano - J.Williams
Kadri - Vermette - Purcell

Muzzin - Green
R.Murray - Myers
Russell - J.Schultz

Ward
Brodeur
Elliott

Canada E:

Marchand - Zajac - Lupul
Hartnell - Henrique - C.Stewart
Dupuis - Ribeiro - Cammalleri
Raymond - Fisher - Parenteau

Gelinas - Franson
Methot - Demers
Phillips - Wideman

Reimer
Scrivens
Peters

Canada F:

King - Brassard - Versteeg
Penner - Roy - Ward
Winnik - Eakin - Boyes
Chimera - Scheifle - Shaw

Dillon - Tanev
Beniot - Boychuk
Wiercioch - Morris

Giguere
Jones
Talbot

Canada G:

Morrow - Lecavalier - Gallagher
Glencross - Couturier - Downie
Upshall - Huberdeau - Ryder
Monahan - Bozak - Killorn

Coburn - Robidas
Beauchemin - Hamilton
Clitsome - Sarich

Dubnyk
McElhinney
Johnson

ok i'm done.

I know Lecavalier isn't the guy he used to be, but for you to have him down on Team G seems a little far fetched to me. Did this guy sleep with your wife or something?
Alex116 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 15:06:13
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178

I know there's an inside joke with Shane O'Brien on this site. I believe it goes back to when he played for the Canucks 4 or 5 seasons ago? And if I'm not mistaken, there was a write-in campaign to get him in the all-star game back then?

Shane O'Brien is no Shea Weber, but he's carved out a very nice hockey career for himself.

Drafted 250th overall in 2003, O'Brien has played in more NHL games than all but one player drafted in rounds 3-9. Only Lee Stempniak has played in more NHL games from this draft class range, and Joe Pavelski (who was drafted #205 overall) has played about the same number of games as O'Brien.

Other notable players who were drafted in rounds 3-9 in 2003 (but with less NHL games played than O'Brien) include Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien and Matt Moulson to name a few.

And counting this season's pay, O'Brien has earned $10 million by playing 521 games in the NHL. Not too shabby!

Great info! You are so right too, he's had a pretty good career. To be honest, i don't actually recall the reason for the whole SOB stuff on here, but i still find it pretty funny! However, that whole all star game thing wasn't actually to do with him (from what i recall?). It was actually Rory Fitzpatrick that it was all about! Surely Slozo (or Beans if he were around these days) or Leigh can remind us what the SOB stuff was about or how it originated? Also, i thought it began after he played here in Van but again, could be wrong there?
Guest4178 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 13:57:36
I know there's an inside joke with Shane O'Brien on this site. I believe it goes back to when he played for the Canucks 4 or 5 seasons ago? And if I'm not mistaken, there was a write-in campaign to get him in the all-star game back then?

Shane O'Brien is no Shea Weber, but he's carved out a very nice hockey career for himself.

Drafted 250th overall in 2003, O'Brien has played in more NHL games than all but one player drafted in rounds 3-9. Only Lee Stempniak has played in more NHL games from this draft class range, and Joe Pavelski (who was drafted #205 overall) has played about the same number of games as O'Brien.

Other notable players who were drafted in rounds 3-9 in 2003 (but with less NHL games played than O'Brien) include Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien and Matt Moulson to name a few.

And counting this season's pay, O'Brien has earned $10 million by playing 521 games in the NHL. Not too shabby!
Alex116 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 13:23:16
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4377

And don't forget Shane O'Brien! ;)

Pretty sure the OP assumed SOB was on the main team (A) and that would be why he didn't have him on the others. Talk about a snub of all snubs!!!
markliso Posted - 01/08/2014 : 12:27:27
it's sad that H looks better than my oilers. sigh.
Guest4377 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 21:51:26
And don't forget Shane O'Brien! ;)
Alex116 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 20:39:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2080

One of the many mistakes I made, knew I forgot someone. Actually lets make Seguin anchor team H)

Burrows - Seguin - Horton
Tanguay - Helm - Toffoli
Pirri - Bolland - Santorelli
Drouin - Ott - Mantha

Gorges - Jackman
Alzner - Spurgeon
Pouliot - Ekblad

Allen
Fucale
Paterson

Lol, I hope you do realize I was just teasing you as I'd instantly assumed you'd simply missed him (and as you said, others) and didn't actually have THAT many ahead of him.

Your team H is getting pretty thin. I or J will likely have McDavid? I'm guessing I'm somewhere down near X, Y, or Z?
Guest2080 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 16:42:50
One of the many mistakes I made, knew I forgot someone. Actually lets make Seguin anchor team H)

Burrows - Seguin - Horton
Tanguay - Helm - Toffoli
Pirri - Bolland - Santorelli
Drouin - Ott - Mantha

Gorges - Jackman
Alzner - Spurgeon
Pouliot - Ekblad

Allen
Fucale
Paterson
Alex116 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 16:37:49
4178 - Garrison wouldn't even be the next Canuck dman taken, it'd be Bieksa! Having said that, your d on team B would be better off without Garrison (or Bieksa) and Schultz, switched with Beauchemin and Cambell who you mentioned at the bottom. Otherwise, pretty good overall roster!

2080 - You do realize you've selected (including the 14 fwds TC has picked, 86 forwards without including Tyler Seguin? I think he makes it ahead of a couple of your picks.

Oh wait, you must be a Leaf Bruins fan? <------ see what i did there Slozo? Don't wanna make this another Leaf thread.
Guest2080 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 16:27:06
Canada B:

Couture - Thornton - Burns
Hall - Giroux - Neal
Lucic - E.Staal - Eberle

Campbell - Seabrook
Giordano - Boyle
Phaneuf - Letang

Crawford
Fleury
Holtby