Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Scott Stevens; dirty or tough?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
umteman Posted - 01/23/2018 : 08:35:30
Well I say both. There is a video here of that famous hit on Eric Lindros and while legal at the time would today get him a 5 minute major and probably 3 game suspension as it was a clear shoulder to the head.https://thehockeywriters.com/devils-scott-stevens-dirty-tough/

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
umteman Posted - 02/22/2018 : 07:54:02
It looked to me to be clearly a shoulder directed to the head; Stevens clearly raised his shoulder above normal level and went for the head.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
n/a Posted - 02/22/2018 : 07:02:36
Listen to the commentary first - for you young guys out there.
Note that neither one says "dirty" or anything to suggest it's not a legal hit . . .

Secondly, look at Lindros' head as he's coming into the middle of the zone . . . literally trying to bull his way through three guys, with his head down. It's ridiculous by today's standards . . . it's just so foolish. The context of that is, because Lindros was so used to being the biggest and baddest guy out there (he was a bull in a china shop most of the times), he didn't take his own safety into account - and this is literally how he got every concussion.

And third . . . Stevens does not leave his feet; Lindros is considerably bigger than him, and with his head down, literally skates into the shoulder without pause or misdirection; and Lindros actively has the puck.

This is the kind of hit I will always defend as a clean hit, in those days, AND today. To me, that's a hockey play. I know that today you are right - probably would get suspended, etc for it . . . but to me, that's a hockey play. And as context, I can show you a dozen videos of Lindros SUCCESSFULLY pulling this move, bullying his way through a crowd of grown men with the puck . . . so it's not like anyone can argue it wasn't a warranted play!

Now as to Stevens' other hits . . . many were late, some were high, quite a few dirty ones in there. But that was within that days' standards, and he mostly did those big hits as hockey plays, with a guy skating over the blue line with the puck.

One of my all-time fave d-men to watch growing up.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
umteman Posted - 01/27/2018 : 07:53:36
Giving it some further thought forget the 5 minute major - today that hit would get him a game misconduct and 3 game suspension.

leigh Posted - 01/26/2018 : 22:05:46
No doubt by today’s standards he would be considered dirty. His most famous hits were definitely high and questionably late. However it was a different era and he played within the rules of the day.
The Duke Posted - 01/23/2018 : 15:43:57
both

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page