Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 Vancouver Canucks sign Pavol Demitra

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 07/10/2008 : 13:02:19
I don't think this will be a popular opinion but I like this deal. Although it is not officially disclosed yet, I have heard that it is $12 million over 3 years. In my opinion they basically signed a "Markus Naslund" like player for 2 million a year less than what they were paying him (although Naslund signed with NYR for 4 million he wouldn't have signed with Vancouver no matter what they offered)

So basically the Canucks got their Naslund back. Which I think is effective to some degree; a second liner. But just like Naslund wasn't the answer for them, neither will Demitra be. They still need a bonified Superstar forward and the numbers are dwindling.

Vancouver is still just a second line team with the best goalie in the league. I don't think that's enough.

What do you guys think of this deal?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wyntyre Posted - 07/30/2008 : 16:05:37
the only thing to worry about in Vancouver is Luongo....Pavol will not be of the Bure variety...and the Sedins...well....they'll do they're usual 70 point or so seasons....they better or VCR...will go the way of the VCR!
leigh Posted - 07/16/2008 : 10:47:42
Seems Naslund has been sliding every year. But I think he'll have a great year in New york, Fresh atmosphere.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/16/2008 : 10:30:28
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I only slightly disagree with you, leigh . . . I think Demitra is a bit of a drop down from the present Naslund. Injuries, playing time, that is the big issue.

That being said, although they won't be the bottom dwellers of the west, it would take a miracle season from them to make the playoffs in my mind.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

didn't naslund have a bad year last year and still score 25 goals,, and that was one of his lowest totals,, and hasn;t demitra had trouble getting to the 20 mark for like 5 years now,,,,,,,, yeah huge step down from naslund!

Pasty
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 07/16/2008 : 06:16:43
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I only slightly disagree with you, leigh . . . I think Demitra is a bit of a drop down from the present Naslund. Injuries, playing time, that is the big issue.

That being said, although they won't be the bottom dwellers of the west, it would take a miracle season from them to make the playoffs in my mind.

Now you hit the nail right on the head.

They are relitively the same age and the skill-level of both players i would say is equal. I would still prefer to have Naslund on my team.

Demitra was a great player in his prime but every year you start hearing less of him which could be worry-some for the Canucks. Personally, 4 million a year is a bit of a heavy price tag for a guy that will barely help them in the present/future.

They need help right away and Demitra is not the Solution.

n/a Posted - 07/16/2008 : 05:57:50

Datsyuk 1 Posted - 07/13/2008 : 17:16:14
That's great my team got a great two way player. Hope he proves better then Naslund and Morrison soo It ill be like they never even left.

Time to golf!
Guest4043 Posted - 07/12/2008 : 21:50:12
I agree with Hockster. They will be basement dwellers this year. They need a big signing. I was impressed that they went so hard after Sundin, but even he can see that even with Luongo they just don't have the right player personnell.
hockster Posted - 07/10/2008 : 16:29:53
mark my words the canucks will be in the bottom five this year. They have injury prone d, and no bona fide scorer. Demitra is out of his prime, and was overpaid. Roberto is the only reason they wont be lsat, and when his contract is up, if they dont do some good signings hell be gone too
Beans15 Posted - 07/10/2008 : 15:54:30
Leigh, I think you hit the nail on the head. Demitra is a good hockey player. Great, no. Good, yes. Naslundesque is a fair assessment. The deal that is posted on TSN.ca is $8 million over 2 years. Seems like they are banking on Demitra being as good or better than Naslund.

The thing is adding Demitra to Vancouver is like using a wine cork to plug the hole in the Titanic. He is not a good enough player to carry the offensive load of the team. Sure, the Sedin Sisters are there and are good for 75 points each. If Demitra plays on the line with them all year, is healthy (which is suspect) he might be good for around 70 as well. But that is it for Vancouver scoring. With the loss of Naslund, Morrison, and Linden drops a lower scoring team by 40 goals last year. Demitra has never broken the 40 goal plateau and has only cracked 30 three times, the last coming 5 seasons ago.

Vancouver is moving closer and closer to being the worst managed team in the league and getting then faster than I thought they would. I think as soon as the folks at Orca Bay learn that Bobby Lou can't score goals then and only then will they start to improve.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page