Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 Czech Republic Olympic Team

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beans15 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 08:58:45
Here's the roster, courtesy of CTVolympics.ca.

I see this team taking a step back and not really making much noise at all.

Goaltender:
Tomas Vokoun (Florida Panthers/NHL), Ondrej Pavelec (Atlanta Thrashers/NHL), Jakub Stepanek (Vitkovice/CZE).

Defense:
Miroslav Blatak (Salavat Yulaev Ufa/RUS), Jan Hejda (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Tomas Kaberle (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Filip Kuba (Ottawa Senators/NHL), Pavel Kubina (Atlanta Thrashers/NHL), Zbynek Michalek (Phoenix Coyotes/NHL), Roman Polak (St Louis Blues/NHL), Marek Zidlicky (Minnesota Wild/NHL).

Forward:
Petr Cajanek (Saint-Pétersbourg/RUS), Roman Cervenka (Slavia Prague/CZE), Patrik Elias (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Martin Erat (Nashville Predators/NHL), Tomas Fleischmann (Washington Capitals/NHL), Martin Havlat (Minnesota Wild/NHL), Jaromir Jagr (Avangard Omsk/NHL), David Krejci (Boston Bruins/NHL), Milan Michalek (Ottawa Senators/NHL), Tomas Plekanec (Canadiens de Montréal/NHL), Tomas Rolinek (Magnitogorsk/RUS), Josef Vasicek (Yaroslavl/RUS).
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 14:05:20
Kuba? He went fishing.

or . . . I might have forgotten him, lol.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Sensfan101 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 12:57:49
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Defence
Kaberle - Kubina
Z.Michalek - Hejda
Polak - Zidlicky
Blatak

Where's Kuba??

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 10:53:13
Alrighty, the Czechs . . . let's see what we have here:

Goaltending
Vokoun, Pavalec, Stepanek

No more Hasek means above average, but nothing too special compared with the top clubs. If Vokoun gets injured, it's a free for all.

Defence
Kaberle - Kubina
Z.Michalek - Hejda
Polak - Zidlicky
Blatak

Not bad at all, except for the fact that defensively, they don't measure up, and in terms of toughness . . . not so much. A softish D with good offense.

Forwards
M.Michalek - Elias - Jagr
Fleischmann - Plekanec - Havlat
Cajanek - Krejci - Erat
Rolinek - Vasicek - Cervenka

A nice all around mix of forwards, and if Jagr still 'has it', then a very dangerous one as well. Even with a diminished Jagr, they still have a group of forwards that can compete with the powerhouse offences of the top teams, although still below them in overall talent. Not to be taken lightly, especially if like I said Jagr is playing well, in a short tournament . . .

Outlook:
A B tier team because of goaltending and soft defence IMO. This is a tough team to evaluate, because they have the potential to surprise if Vokoun plays amazing and Jagr drinks from the fountain of youth for a two week period. But I don't see it happening, especially against teams like Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, even the US . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Canucks Man Posted - 01/04/2010 : 00:31:53
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Who do you think is the biggest surprise Omission from the Czechs? (They are missing some talent!)

Milan Hejduk
Vinny Prospal
Jiri Hudler
Michael Frolik
Radim Vrbata
Jacub Voracek
Robert Lang
Jaroslav Spacek
Roman Hamrlik
Rostislav Olesz

They are missing a few guys who could have made this team, in my opinion.

My biggest surprise is Milan Hejduk. But a few others kind of surprise me too.

Irvine/prez.

Irv, WOW, that really is a pretty decent list of omitted players? Hejduk, for sure the biggest, but Prospal and a couple youngsters in Voracek and Frolik are surprising as well.

Hejduk informed the Czech Oylmpic team tha he will be un able to play in the oylmpics due to a lingering knee injury that he will be taking the 2 weeks to heal up.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Guest0477 Posted - 01/03/2010 : 22:39:37
struggling without hemsky...
Axey Posted - 01/03/2010 : 17:57:23
Hamrlik should have made this team, that is ridiculous. He is a rock on D, yes I am a Habs fan but the guy has been our only consistent D man day in and day out (not including Markov). Frolik and Vorcek should be on this team, this guys over in the KHL either must be some good or they are making a Canada 2006 mistake.
irvine Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:52:18
Yeah, they are certainly missing a few players I thought that would have made it. But it seems they went with a mix. Utilizing some KHL/Czech League players.

They have some guys playing very well in the KHL. So no surprise they took some of them.

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 01/01/2010 : 17:12:59
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Who do you think is the biggest surprise Omission from the Czechs? (They are missing some talent!)

Milan Hejduk
Vinny Prospal
Jiri Hudler
Michael Frolik
Radim Vrbata
Jacub Voracek
Robert Lang
Jaroslav Spacek
Roman Hamrlik
Rostislav Olesz

Irvine/prez.

Irv, WOW, that really is a pretty decent list of omitted players? Hejduk, for sure the biggest, but Prospal and a couple youngsters in Voracek and Frolik are surprising as well.
irvine Posted - 01/01/2010 : 16:41:36

Milan Hejduk
Vinny Prospal
Jiri Hudler
Michael Frolik
Radim Vrbata
Jacub Voracek
Robert Lang
Jaroslav Spacek
Roman Hamrlik
Rostislav Olesz

Irvine/prez.
irvine Posted - 12/31/2009 : 11:37:18
This team may look fairly weak on paper, but after much review it's not that bad.

Better than the Swedes? Perhaps not. But as mentioned, people always under estimate the Czechs.. who on paper, never look that great. But they can make slide in to the medals, any given year.

As mentioned, I fellow quite a few leagues. (Czech Extraliga, Slovak Extraliga, Swedish Elite, KHL, German DEL League, Finnish SM-Liiga, etc.)

And the Czech roster have a few guys, who are doing (and have been steadily doing) very well over there. Just because we do not see them in the NHL, doesn't mean they do not rip up another pro league.

They have some offensive talent. Can't forget Jagr! :)

Irvine/prez.
Beans15 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 11:35:44
Yes, I do disagree with your points. I don't follow the logic.

The Czech Republic has 11 of 23 players over the age of 30, 2 players older than 35, and average 29 years old.

The Swedes have 15 players over 30, 6 older than 35, and the average age is 30.

There are a few more older players with the Swedes, but not so much to make a difference in my opinion.

Furthermore, I completely disagree with the statement that the Czecks are geared more towards offense. The Sedins, Zetterberg, Eriksson, Alfredsson, Backstrom. That is sick. I would consider that well ahead of Jagr, Elias, Mickalek, Plekanec, Havlat, and Erat.

Also, I take the defensive group of Lidstrom, Enstrom, Kronwall, Murray, Oduya, Tallinder, Ohlund, and Johansson over every defensive group in the tourney except for Canada. This defensive is a giant leap ahead of the Czechks.

Even if you call keepers a draw, I like Sweden both offensively and Defensively.

The Pool B teams are Russia, Slovakia, the Czech's, and Latvia

I would not be surprised in the least to see the Russians and the Slovak out of the this group to the medal round and the Czeck's on the outside looking in.

The game of this will be Feb 17 when the Czech's play Slovakia.The winner of that game basically moves on.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/31/2009 : 11:01:16
I forgot to mention I dont think Lundquist is playing at the top of his game right now.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/31/2009 : 10:31:47
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Better than Sweden??? I really have to start reading the sarcasm on this site better, because that's the only really possibility here.

Sweden? The last Gold Medal team??? Not as good as these Czecks???

Wow. I think I am watching a completely different sport than anyone else.

Can anyone point me towards the Twilight Zone Pick Up Hockey site??

Either I belong there or some others on this site do. Regardless, posts such as this and I just don't belong together.

I like this team better than Sweden because they are younger faster and are not currently injured or playing hurt. Do you disagree with my points? I do agree Sweden is better defensively, but the Czech seems more geared for offense. This is my dark horse team to medal. Figuring a Canada/Russia/Czech medal year. BTW Sweden's goal medal team is 4 years older and the young up and comers for Sweden are not of the caliber of the outgoing veterans. This is just my opinion.
Beans15 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 12:22:46
Better than Sweden??? I really have to start reading the sarcasm on this site better, because that's the only really possibility here.

Sweden? The last Gold Medal team??? Not as good as these Czecks???

Wow. I think I am watching a completely different sport than anyone else.

Can anyone point me towards the Twilight Zone Pick Up Hockey site??

Either I belong there or some others on this site do. Regardless, posts such as this and I just don't belong together.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/30/2009 : 12:04:29
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinOilCountry

Yea the Czechs don't impress me much. Decent Goalies, D, and O, but I don't see anything outstanding about this team. Nothing that makes me picture them with a medal or even cracking the top 6.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

I see goaltending as the biggest if department for this team. Outside of Goaltending, I think this team is a giant killer, especially if Vokoun plays as well as he did before Florida picked him to replace Loungo. Back then Vokoun was considered world class and is still a excellent goalie. Pavelec is playing excellent right now stealing playing time in Atlanta from the veterans

The defense is high scoring smooth passing team with lots of experience, Kaberle/Kubina great top 2 defenseman in my opinion and should be great on PP while Kuba,Michalek, Hedja and Zidlicky are all solid.

There is a lot of scary good forwards on this team, not quite but almost on the level with most teams Elias/Havlat/Plekanec/Michalek all having good years and we all know what Jagr brings to the table. Krejci, Erat and Vasicek are good/great players, the remainder I dont know so well.

I like this team better than Swedens all around. At least most of these players are in there prime and uninjured. Everybody always underestimates the Czechs
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 12/30/2009 : 09:01:13
Yea the Czechs don't impress me much. Decent Goalies, D, and O, but I don't see anything outstanding about this team. Nothing that makes me picture them with a medal or even cracking the top 6.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page