Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Tampa Bay
 Um Hello stamkos, St louis what is wrong with you Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4623
( )

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  22:04:31  Reply with Quote
Um hello where have u been for the last 10 games or So havent done nothing.. What is wrong with Tampa

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  11:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the old "coming back down to earth" thing. I'm not sure that anyone thought Stamkos could keep up the early season tear for goals, and that seems to be the case. Only 3 goals since Feb 1, he'll be hard pressed to hit 50 at this rate.

As for St Louis, I would hardly call him slumping - he's gone his last 3 games without a point, but before that, he had 15 pts in 11 games thru Feb, and was held pointless only one game. He's been pretty consistent all season long.

Both are scoreless in their last 3 games, but TB has only scored 4 goals in their last 3 games...
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  11:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a quote from a ESPN NHL article by Scott Burnside:
quote:
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman and veteran agent Don Meehan, who represents RFA-to-be Steven Stamkos, spoke again last weekend in New York. It doesn't sound like they're close at this point.

link: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/5317/weekend-wrap-phoenixs-domino-effect-on-atlanta-stamkos-kaberle-contract-updates

Could this be a possible distraction for Stamkos, contract talks?

I'm not saying its the only reason for "slowed" point production, but it could definitely be a factor.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  12:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, it certainly could - it would be for me I suppose, I wonder how far apart the two sides are. I can't see Meehan asking for any less than 7M a season for Stamkos, or a very long term deal for 5-6M a year cap hit. This might be interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4859
( )

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  13:49:22  Reply with Quote
I own both is my salary cap league, and they've been ice cold for the last 5 games...
Lets hope they wrap up Stammers new contract soon (at a reasonable price) so they can get back to wracking up the points!

PS: I doubt Stammer will get less than 7mil. Yes, Backstrom got signed for $6.7M per, (for the next decade) but goal scorers seem to fetch more.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4278
( )

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  18:07:45  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4859

I own both is my salary cap league, and they've been ice cold for the last 5 games...
Lets hope they wrap up Stammers new contract soon (at a reasonable price) so they can get back to wracking up the points!

PS: I doubt Stammer will get less than 7mil. Yes, Backstrom got signed for $6.7M per, (for the next decade) but goal scorers seem to fetch more.

Fine Stammer can get paid lots on a sucky team or paid a little less and win the cup. Stammer can see the 05-09 Tampa team as example of high cap no result. If he does not see this writing on the wall, then he deserves whatever he gets.

If Zetterberg, Franzen and Datsyuk is willing to take less for runs at the Cup,

Anyways, the pace that Stammer was scoring was not sustainable. Both he and Martin will finish at around 100 points.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  18:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Beans, can i start the "TBay might not be able to sign Stamkos therefore he might be coming to the Canucks" rumours? LOL.....

I don't know if it's a distraction but i don't buy it. Simply a small slump i'd say. Everyone goes through it, except maybe Gretzky? He'll be fine, and he'll be signed!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  18:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If Zetterberg, Franzen and Datsyuk is willing to take less for runs at the Cup,

Did they?

Datsyuk is in the middle of a 7yr/47M deal that pays 6.7M a year. In 07/08, there were not many players making 6.7M a year, making Datsyuk's deal one of the richest at the time - which is fair considering he is one of the best centres in the game.

Zetterberg is in the second year of a whopping 12yr/73M contract, that pays a sliding scale for a cap hit of just over 6M per year. This year he's making 7.75M, and will make that for the next 4 years as well. That makes him the 13th highest paid player in the NHL this year, sandwiched between Brad Richards and Henrik Lundqvist.

Franzen is in the third year of another whopper, 11yr/43M. Also a sliding scale contract, he's making 5M this season, and will make over 5M for the next 6 years. Not bad for a player that has only cracked 50 points once before this season.

None of these contracts are what I would consider "taking one for the team". Its just good team contract management, same as any other team needs to employ.

Edited by - nuxfan on 03/06/2011 18:51:19
Go to Top of Page

Guest4278
( )

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  19:33:25  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
Did they?

Datsyuk is in the middle of a 7yr/47M deal that pays 6.7M a year. In 07/08, there were not many players making 6.7M a year, making Datsyuk's deal one of the richest at the time - which is fair considering he is one of the best centres in the game.

Zetterberg is in the second year of a whopping 12yr/73M contract, that pays a sliding scale for a cap hit of just over 6M per year. This year he's making 7.75M, and will make that for the next 4 years as well. That makes him the 13th highest paid player in the NHL this year, sandwiched between Brad Richards and Henrik Lundqvist.

Franzen is in the third year of another whopper, 11yr/43M. Also a sliding scale contract, he's making 5M this season, and will make over 5M for the next 6 years. Not bad for a player that has only cracked 50 points once before this season.

None of these contracts are what I would consider "taking one for the team". Its just good team contract management, same as any other team needs to employ.

Yes they did. Datsyuk could have easily gotten the max 7.8M as a UFA in other locations. He took less. Same did Zetterberg where the max was 8.5M range.

Franzen took less also. He pretty much guarantees 15 points with 10 goals in the playoff. That is worth a little more than 5M per no? And when healthy is much better than a 50 point player in the regular season. Just call him a bigger and more skilled but more injury prone Claude Lemieux.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  22:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes they did. Datsyuk could have easily gotten the max 7.8M as a UFA in other locations. He took less. Same did Zetterberg where the max was 8.5M range.

Franzen took less also. He pretty much guarantees 15 points with 10 goals in the playoff. That is worth a little more than 5M per no? And when healthy is much better than a 50 point player in the regular season. Just call him a bigger and more skilled but more injury prone Claude Lemieux.

Datsyuk, fair enough - no doubt he could have gotten at least that deal from another team, and perhaps more as well. He clearly wanted to stay in DET and did so, although the difference between 6.7 and 7.8 is arguably small.

Zetterberg and Franzen both took less per year in exchange for extra long contracts - Zetterberg is 12 years, Franzen 11, both of which are unusually long for forwards, and players have to love those deals, guaranteed total money is always better than per year money. I don't see this as "taking a pay cut" so much as "maximizing guaranteed money through the life of a contract". To get that sort of deal with a team, they have to be very comfortable with you as a player, and I'm not convinced that another team would have given either player that sort of contract as UFA's.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page