Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Wade Redden Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  17:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Redden makes more money playing in the AHL than the entire roster of teams he's playing! What happened to this guy? He's not that old (he turns 34 in June), and he has 994 NHL games under his belt. Will he get to 1,000? Or is he finished as an NHLer?"

that was a post made by a guest in the free agency topic, and that got
me thinking about him. I decided to make a new thread about him so the other thread doesn't get off track.

So as guest asked, will Wade Redden finish in the big leagues?

Ps. Can someone tell me what happened to him!? I feel like I know but I just can't remember

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  21:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Redden simply fell from grace. He was a top teir offensive defensemen of a long time. Typical smart puck moving defensemen with a solid pass and a decent enough shot. Never overly physical but great stick.

He went 7+ seasons as a plus player who typically put in 10+ goals and 40+ points. He has a 17 goal season and a 50 goal point season in there. Great numbers for sure.

Then, he got to NY and disappears. Maybe it was a monster contract he signed and he tanked. Who knows.

But ya, he is done in the NHL at least until his current contract is done. He signed a 6 year deal for $39 million in 2008. He is under contract for 3 more seasons. I can't see a team taking a flyer on his even for 1/2 his contract on re-entry waivers. He is at best a #4 on most teams and most likely not even there.

Edited by - Beans15 on 05/24/2011 08:45:54
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  22:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beans, don't know what you are talking about, Redden never had a 50 goal season.

After checking NHL.com, I think you must have meant 50 POINT season. That makes more sense!
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  10:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Polish do you not see that goals is scratched out

Every journey begins with a single step.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  11:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mario don't you see that Beans has edited his post...

But as for Redden he just couldn't live up to his massive contract. With the salary cap he became a target for NY fans and it just went downhill until he ended up in the AHL. Like Beans said he'll probably stay there until the end of his contract.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  12:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be easy on Mario, he is a Pens fan
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  16:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Beans alluded to, as long as Redden remains a $6.5 million cap hit, he won't be in the NHL. The only way me works his way back is either after his contract contract expires (he'd be 37 though)...or if the Rangers were to buy him out.

Redden's career started to go downhill before he joined the Rangers. He struggled in his last couple of seasons in Ottawa, which is why Rangers fans were immediately so critical of the signing.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  00:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

As Beans alluded to, as long as Redden remains a $6.5 million cap hit, he won't be in the NHL. The only way me works his way back is either after his contract contract expires (he'd be 37 though)...or if the Rangers were to buy him out.

Or if he starts scoring 40+ points a season again.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9243
( )

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  08:08:01  Reply with Quote
I do not have any sympathy for players that get sent to the minors because of bloated contracts. If they truly wanted to play in the top league they would renegotiate a more reasonable contract that reflects their current value. money vs. pride. they can choose
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  08:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9243

I do not have any sympathy for players that get sent to the minors because of bloated contracts. If they truly wanted to play in the top league they would renegotiate a more reasonable contract that reflects their current value. money vs. pride. they can choose

Would you renegotiate??? Seriously?? I know I wouldn't. It's not money v . pride. Pride has nothing to do with it. I tell you right now, if my company came to me and said they will give me a 30% increase in salary for the next 6 yrs, I take it. If they don't like my performance, they can fire me but I don't tell them to keep the money!!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  09:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No they cannot. The NHL has strict rules about renegotiation of contracts, it is simply not allowed by either side. AFAIK, the only recourse is for Redden to force a termination by refusing to report to the AHL or something like that. He is in breach when he does not report, the contract is terminated by the Rangers, and Redden becomes a free agent.

There is lots of speculation that he may do that this summer, but I don't necessarily think so. He still has 19M coming to him over the next 3 years under this deal, and any new deal he signs is guaranteed to be a lot less than that. Its easy to say "money vs pride" when you're not the one looking at walking away from 19M bucks.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6894
( )

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  05:01:56  Reply with Quote
Redden's play had been slowly declining since his big signing in Ottawa. He had a decent year in the cup run but the year after he was looked at as the scapegoat for Ottawa's woes whether truthful or not. Not very many people in Ottawa believed he would get another contract where he was getting more than 4 million let alone 6.5. His fall in new York was bound to happen. He will return to the nhl but he wont make half of his current salary
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page