Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 who fits best? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  21:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally i think the Leafs should roll the dice with Bernier and hope he's starter material. Prob is, Burke prob doesn't wanna risk his job with that decision as he could be let go if he doesn't get into the playoffs very soon. Bernier is a bit of a gamble, albeit with a nice high side if he does pan out. But if he doesn't........
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  09:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why there is so much hype around Bernier - he just hasn't done much at the NHL. The Leafs already have 2 up-and-coming goaltenders that have done as much or more than Bernier at the NHL level in Reimer, and another one that shows great promise in Scrivens - I'm not sure why they would want Bernier at this point, unless they're going to roll the dice with a young goalie tandem.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  16:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nuxfan....In fairness to Bernier, he was the 11th overall pick in the '06 draft whereas Reimer was the 99th that same year and Scrivens went undrafted. So, i think it's fair to say that the expectations on Bernier have been higher since day one and moving forward, he's simply a higher rated prospect as far as goalies go.

There was also talk as Quick was on the rise that the Kings would deal him and keep Bernier as they were more excited about Bernier moving forward. It wasn't untill the past year or year and half that Quick had his breakout to become the def #1 moving forward in LA.

Depending on the cost of obtaining him, if i had my way and were in charge of the Leafs, i'd prefer to move forward with Bernier than either of the current young goalies they have. He's younger than both (albeit only months younger than Reimer) and ranked higher as a prospect at every point along the way.

Again, if i'm Burke and i'm fighting to keep my job, i'd prefer to have none of the above in charge of my future and would prefer a guy like Luongo who would certainly be good enough to get my team into the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  18:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who cares where anyone was drafted?
Bernier has not warranted where he was selected thus far in his career and to me is overrated.
I've never been convinced he could be a number 1 in this league.
It's Luongo or bust for the leafs this year

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  06:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Leaf fan I would go for Bernier too.

Luongo, this year and the next couple of seasons, it would be better. But that long and hefty contract scares me. So if you go and get Bernier, you have three solid young goalies. You hope one of them pans out. You can use the others for trade bait, sign a solid backup, keep one in the minors, go tandem, whatever, there would be more options.

But if you get Luongo, and lets say Luongo gets injured, Reimer does good, then your stuck just like the Canucks are stuck right now. It seems like the options are limited with Luongo in net and a big contract. Luongo's good and yes he could be that missing piece for the Leafs to make the playoffs, but I prefer to go cheaper, younger, and to open for options (if it doesn't go as planned)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page