Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Boston
 Tampa Bay Lightning fire coach Guy Boucher Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest2301
( )

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  09:57:48  Reply with Quote
Did he deserve that .. Um No...

Edited by - n/a on 03/25/2013 06:52:57

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  11:26:38  Reply with Quote
Just wondering what the expectations were in Tampa Bay? I know every team enters the season with the goal to make the playoffs, but Tampa finished in 10th place last season, 8 points out of a playoff spot.

If Tampa is performing below expectations, what about the Rangers? They finished in the top spot in the East last season with 109 points, and right now, they're sitting in 9th place, battling for a playoff spot.

And how about the Flyers? After beating the Penguins in the first round of the playoffs last year, they looked like cup contenders. Right now, they have as much a chance of making the playoffs as the Oilers.

And then there's the Florida Panthers. They finished in 3rd spot in the East last season. (And yes, I know they had less points than the 4th, 5th and 6th placed teams, and that Florida plays in the league's weakest division.) But they have the fewest wins of any NHL team this season, and sit in the league's basement.

Going from 3rd in the Eastern Conference to dead last in the NHL is quite a step backwards and Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen still has his job.

And as recently as last week, Flyers GM Paul Holmgen said he hasn't even thought about making a coaching change, so Peter Laviolette's job appears safe. (Or is it? How many times has a coach been given an endorsement from their GM, only to be fired soon afterwards?)

As for Rangers head coach John Tortorella, you gotta wonder about his job if the Rangers fail to make the playoffs.

Getting back to Guy Boucher, I don't think he deserved to lose his job as much as others, but in making this change, Tampa is hoping to ignite a late season surge.

Recognizing that teams will need around 55 points to make the playoffs, the Bolts have their work cut out for them. They will need to get 28 points in their 17 remaining games to do so. It would take a miracle for that to happen!

Go to Top of Page

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  13:34:56  Reply with Quote
Tampa Bay acquired more depth in the offseason (Lindback, Carle, Conachar) and on paper should be a better team than last year.

The Rangers lost a lot a depth acquiring R.Nash. I think the GM knows in this shortened season the puzzle might not fit right away.

The Flyers also lost depth in the offseason (Carle, Jagr). I think their GM knows just like N.Y.

The Panthers probaly should have never even made the playoff's last year. Somehow they did though and it would be hard to expect them to repeat again. Especially when half their team is riddled with injuries.

So i'm thinking you have used some poor examples and not realized that if you are GM of Tampa and you got these guys like St.Louis and Lecavelier who are getting older and probaly going to get traded soon then that you would also figure we need to make the playoffs while they can still go beast mode come playoffs.

Boucher also didn't make the playoff's last year and although that's not all his fault you gotta start your flush of the system somewhere. Coach is usually the easiest spot.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  14:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2301

Did he deserve that .. Um No...

Nonetheless it is not really a surprise.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  15:41:31  Reply with Quote
Easy to say now that Tampa was expected to do as well as you claim. No argument about Florida sneaking in last season. I already acknowledged this in my original posting.

I checked this very forum, and took a look at the predictions made by some esteemed posters on this site pre-regular season), and here's what I found:

Semin

NYR (1), PHI (5), TB (9), Fla (11)

Alex

Slozo

NYR (4), PHI (5), TB (10), Fla (15)

Beans

NYR (1), PHI (5), TB (14), Fla (6)

But for those who do not put a lot of stock in the common fans' opinion, I checked out the predictions (pre-season, like those above) from six hockey experts at NHL.com. Their panel of six experts (including Kevin Weekes, Kelly Chase, Barry Melrose) picked Washington to come out of the weak Southeast Division, and Florida next. (None of these experts chose Tampa Bay.)

And while I'm sure you could dig up a few people who predicted a better season for Tampa, you would be hard pressed to find a common fan or expert who didn't predict a higher standing than where the Rangers or Flyers currently reside.

That's my point. I acknowledge that Tampa is not performing up to certain expectations, but not to the extent of some other teams, these teams have stuck with their coach. And most notably, the Flyers, and next to that the Rangers.

And was there anyone who thought the Panthers would go from 3rd in the east to the absolute basement. (Except Slozo.)
Go to Top of Page

Guest4620
( )

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  21:46:25  Reply with Quote
Mr Ruff well be in as new coach by the end of the Week .. Watch and see..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  07:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4377

Easy to say now that Tampa was expected to do as well as you claim. No argument about Florida sneaking in last season. I already acknowledged this in my original posting.

I checked this very forum, and took a look at the predictions made by some esteemed posters on this site pre-regular season), and here's what I found:

Semin

Alex

Slozo

NYR (4), PHI (5), TB (10), Fla (15)

Beans

NYR (1), PHI (5), TB (14), Fla (6)

But for those who do not put a lot of stock in the common fans' opinion, I checked out the predictions (pre-season, like those above) from six hockey experts at NHL.com. Their panel of six experts (including Kevin Weekes, Kelly Chase, Barry Melrose) picked Washington to come out of the weak Southeast Division, and Florida next. (None of these experts chose Tampa Bay.)

And while I'm sure you could dig up a few people who predicted a better season for Tampa, you would be hard pressed to find a common fan or expert who didn't predict a higher standing than where the Rangers or Flyers currently reside.

That's my point. I acknowledge that Tampa is not performing up to certain expectations, but not to the extent of some other teams, these teams have stuck with their coach. And most notably, the Flyers, and next to that the Rangers.

And was there anyone who thought the Panthers would go from 3rd in the east to the absolute basement. (Except Slozo.)

First off, thanks for the props, appreciate it. Like any prediction, it's based on legitimate factors . . . there's just no telling how big of an impact some of those factors are.

Florida last year really looked like a one-off. Career years everywhere, starting in goal for Theodore, and going by history, you just know it's not gonna repeat itself. That, combined with what I thought was a still strong Washington team, and a greatly improved Carolina and a fighting chance Winnipeg . . . Florida seemed like the weak sister amongst them.

Tampa Bay is really just a Stephen Stamkos away from being the worst team in the East, IMHO. But he is that good, and brings them up quite a few spots.

To me, this Boucher firing is his own doing - if he had not made that team so greatly overachieve in his first year . . . he'd still be there. But the bar of expectation went thruogh the roof, and he was hailed as a coaching progidy, and you can really only go south from there until you start going to cup finals year after year.

Don't cry for Boucher, he'll get a gig quickly somewhere else. He is a good coach from what I've seen.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page