Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Calgary is starting strong again Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  15:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am always surprised when the hockey chatter has Leafs this, Edmonton that, New York, Montreal, Pittsburg, etc,etc this and that, but barely a mention when Calgary plays strong. Very much enjoying watching Calgary hockey as of late.

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  15:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to cement the point further, who in the world thought TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano would be almost point a game players, with 13 points in 14 games, at this point of the season or that Hiller would be 6-2-1 to wind his career down in Calgary. Hiller is playing awesome and Calgary could be this years surprise team.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  16:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously I'm happy with this start. Giordano is solid but a point a game is better than most Flames fans could dream. Monahan is looking like last year wasn't a fluke. I'm curious to see if Setoguchi can find his game again - it's early yet but so far it's not looking promising. Ultimately I think he will.

What is interesting is that the team has zero bona fide super stars.
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  02:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Formula on how to do a rebuild correctly.

We should take notes.
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  10:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is no doubt this team is the real deal. give them a couple more years and they will be a contender
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  22:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, not sure yet if this is just early days and the kids playing with spit and vinegar are just taking some by surprise. Johnny hockey is gonna be a very good player though, and with Monahan and Giordano, they already have some very nice building blocks to add to.

My prediction is, that they drop off around the all-star break, and fade off into the sunset of the season. But with a healthy Hiller, they'll always be competetive.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  16:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just looking at the Flames scoring. It's spread out pretty nicely actually....http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20142015&gameType=2&team=CGY&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=summary
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  14:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was just looking at the advanced stats and noticed that Calgary is in the Top 5 for goals per game, top 3 for 5 on 5 goals scored versus goals allowed. Total flip from other teams who are boasting these star studded lineups without results 5 on 5. An argument was made that Calgary is weak at forward, but its hard to point at that when in the top 5 of any scoring category let alone top 3. I know Calgary's goalie is playing good and they defense is strong, but this is a huge short term turnaround.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  07:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if something changes in the past day but I see Calgary at 10th in 5 v 5 G/A. Regardless, they are over the magic number of 1.00 which, if you look back historically, it a very telling stat. There are very few teams who made the playoffs with a 5v5 G/A ratio of less than 1 who made the playoffs.

One thing I find interesting about Calgary as well is their PK. It's the 3rd lowest in the NHL. It's a bit surprising but not overly surprising. Teams like Calgary, who are a hard-working group, are often viewed as defensive minded. Having watched Calgary a bit, I would say they are not a great defensive team but certainly responsible. The gift Calgary has is their fore-check is tenacious. They work their junk off in the offensive end without the puck and that leads to turn overs and scoring chances.

Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  11:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling I am going to be a very disappointed Oiler fan in the Saddledome on Dec 27.
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2014 :  12:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight is a big test for the Flames. THey are playing Anaheim and they have not won a game in Anaheim since 2004! over 13 losses in theat time.

GO FLAMES!
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  09:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Setoguchi is on waivers, I guess that isn't working out...
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  13:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blade

Tonight is a big test for the Flames. THey are playing Anaheim and they have not won a game in Anaheim since 2004! over 13 losses in theat time.

GO FLAMES!

Disappointed that they didn't win this game. It lowers my hopes that they can compete against the top teams.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  13:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by just1n

Setoguchi is on waivers, I guess that isn't working out...

Saw that this morning too. He clearly hasn't worked out from a PPG perspective which is why he was brought in. Did the team give him enough time? Of course I am just speculating that this is the reason. Does anyone know what the true issue was - I can't see any actual articles about the reasons?
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  05:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markliso

I have a feeling I am going to be a very disappointed Oiler fan in the Saddledome on Dec 27.

I was right.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page