Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Pat Quinn Dead Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  10:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad day in hockey today. Pat Quinn has passed away after a lengthy illness.

Pat Quinn, a former NHL coach, player and executive, died Sunday in Vancouver after a lengthy illness. He was 71.

Quinn coached for five NHL teams from 1979 to 2010, reaching the Stanley Cup Final twice and becoming one of four men to win the Jack Adams Trophy as the League's best coach with at least two different franchises.

"Whether he was playing for a team, coaching a team or building one, Pat Quinn was thoughtful, passionate and committed to success," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. Pat’s contributions to hockey, at every level, reflected the skills he possessed and the great respect with which he treated the sport. The National Hockey League, one of the many organizations to benefit from his devoted service, sends heartfelt condolences to Pat’s loved ones and his many friends around the hockey world."

Internationally, Quinn had an even bigger impact as a coach, leading Canada to several gold medals. None, however, was as important or celebrated as the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics gold medal, which ended a 50-year drought for the hockey-mad country. Quinn also won a gold medal at the 2009 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship.

Read more...http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=740721&navid=DL

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  11:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIP Quinn. My condolences to the Quinn family. Hockey and Canada lost a great man.
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  12:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIP
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2014 :  13:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIP Pat Quinn. It really feels like the passing of an entire era. I fear it will be Gordie next.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  09:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty amazing and eerie tribute to Quinn at last night's VAN/NJD game, you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqEKwnHkkn0. You could have heard a pin drop in the stadium, it was that heartfelt.

Kudos to Mark Donnelly for a great rendition of Danny Boy, and kudos to the fans, who simply rose up as one to pay tribute, and didn't make a sound until the end. I know he has some history in TOR, and other places, but Pat Quinn has been part of hockey in Vancouver for nearly 40 years, he is legend in this town. It was nice to see him sent off in style.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  22:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is late, but it was a sad passing indeed. Feels like the end of an era with Quinn's death.

He was a really good man.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  13:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

Pretty amazing and eerie tribute to Quinn at last night's VAN/NJD game, you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqEKwnHkkn0. You could have heard a pin drop in the stadium, it was that heartfelt.

Kudos to Mark Donnelly for a great rendition of Danny Boy, and kudos to the fans, who simply rose up as one to pay tribute, and didn't make a sound until the end. I know he has some history in TOR, and other places, but Pat Quinn has been part of hockey in Vancouver for nearly 40 years, he is legend in this town. It was nice to see him sent off in style.

Whoo! That was powerful stuff! Donnelly knocked that out of the park. I'm sure Quinn would approve. Wow!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page