Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 World Cup of Hockey Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  16:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering what everyones thought are towards the World Cup of Hockey and the format proposed during the All Star Game.

6 of the top hockey nations (Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech) versus a European team made up of the remaining European teams and a U23 Youngstar North American team. I believe the IIHF and NHLPA have agreed to this format and the rosters will be made of NHLPA members.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/26/2015 16:52:36

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  16:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the format, but I am uncertain about a few things, as my understanding is it will be strictly NHLPA members, but I could be mistaken. If it is, it makes sense, in that there would not be enough members of Slovak and Norway to fill out a complete competitive team, but if it allows for members of other hockey federations to participate, such as the Swedish Elite League or the KHL, these countries could ice a competitive lineup. The inclusion of the Youngstar team has pissed off a lot of people who I have talk to who are hockey traditionalist and the European team has a lot of people saying this World Cup will be no better than a glorified All Star Game/Tournament. Other people think this is the end to the NHL participating in the Olympics.

For me, I like it. I think the youngstars and the European teams could have some pretty incredible lineups and set up once in a blue moon matchups on a limited international stage. On this site we always talk about the players who didn't make the team or the ones who did, but didn't belong there ahead of younger less proven players. For the remainder of the European teams, I don't know if the pride will be there like the other Hockey nations, but the talent overall is very comparable. Goaltending might be the best in the European team.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/26/2015 16:54:32
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  17:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

6 of the top hockey nations (Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech) versus a European team made up of the remaining European teams and a U23 Youngstar North American team. I believe the IIHF and NHLPA have agreed to this format and the rosters will be made of NHLPA members.

What happens if a player is under 23 and would have been selected to his respective national team? I'm assuming he cannot play for both, so which team does he play for? Does the player get to choose? The nation?

I don't know if I like the idea of the mashup team and the U23 team - part of the attraction of the World Cup is being able to represent your country. I can't believe that the two multi-national teams would have this sense of national pride.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  17:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The U23 gets the player if selected by both the national team and the U23 team of North American players.

I agree the mash up for European Teams is weird but the possibilities could be good as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  21:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a big fan of this really. It was talked about at lengths today on the radio and some really good points were brought up. Guys like Jacob Trouba and Jack Eichel could easily be good enough to suit up for the US squad. Now what, you weaken Team USA so you can field this young squad? Silly. Same goes for McDavid and others I'm sure, however, Canada has more all around depth and could handle missing a couple of youngsters I'm sure. It really hurts the USA the most.

I also agree with the mish mash Euro team and the possible lack of pride they may face. However, look at golf and the Ryder cup. It's USA vs Europe and let's face it, for anyone who watches it, it's pretty obvious the Euro's really don't care that it's one country vs the US! I'm pretty sure you'd see some serious celebrating if the EuroMash beat Canada for gold!

The other part discussed though was just what this could do to the development of these "lesser" countries (Norway, Slovakia, Latvia, etc) as far as their national team. Many guys who'd normally get the experience of playing against the best in the world will no longer have that opportunity. If you're a 3rd liner from Norway, what are your chances you make this team? Slim to none. How does this help Norway improve. It's always said, you improve by playing against better competition! The opportunity for this will be lost now.

I think I read somewhere that this may be a "one off" thing though?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  11:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I agree it waters down the USA team, somewhat, the field is pretty deep in all positions for USA after the under 23 players. I do think this is a strength for Canada, because the under 23 year olds rarely get picked for the National teams. If you held this tournament in Nugent Hopkins rookie year I would wager no players from the under 23 squad would make team Canadas roster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page