Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 TRADE DEADLINE TRACKER Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  14:40:29  Show Profile
Breaking News - Jagr to Florida!
400 year old Jaromir Jagr traded to the Floridians for a couple of third rounders.

Winnik traded to the Pens, Leafs get a 2nd, 4th and a warm body.

Let's hear about any breaking trades here, and give us your commentary on each trade as it hapens.

Who are the biggest winners, and most in need of a trade? Let us know . . .

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  16:45:33  Show Profile
Clarkson gone, major cap space Gained ... Excellent move.
Kessel going to SJ or ANA I think.
Leafs will make a blockbuster involving big name plAyers over the weekend, can feel it coming !!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  17:26:17  Show Profile
WTF was Jarmo Kekäläinen thinking??? Give Nonis or Shanny the executive of the year award now! Quit stalling and give it to them!!!

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  18:11:24  Show Profile
I think Jagr is a good fit for Florida's young team, he will show them a lot of leadership. But they spent a lot for it.

It seems like a lot of picks are being thrown around, I think it will be a busy next few days with the deadline approaching. 2nd and 4th for Winnik, 2nd and 3rd for Jagr, 1st for Sekera, 1st and a prospect for Santorelli and Franson. Its a lot of picks being traded for UFA players.

As for Clarkson for Horton, it makes sense. Columbus couldn't afford to pay a guy 5.3 millions for not playing. So with the same price they get a power agitator overpaid forward that at least plays.

Horton will probably never play again in the NHL and the Leafs will just pay his salary and it won't count on the cap hit. Makes sense for both teams.

For the Leafs, only one bad contract left, Phaneuf... If you can pull that off Nonis, I will almost forgive you to give that contract in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  18:13:03  Show Profile
Oh almost forgot, Sekac for Smith Pelly, what a great trade for Montréal. I think the Ducks were trying to shed some salary while getting some speed up front. They might be sheddin salary for a big trade coming up? We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  19:20:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Clarkson gone, major cap space Gained ... Excellent move.

I must say Duke, this is quite the departure for you. Less than a year ago, you were still clinging to your highly bullish view of Clarkson - the gritty forward that was going to the dirty areas to get those goals, tough on the boards and in the corners, the guy that you wanted on your team in the playoffs. Good for you, seeing things without your leaf coloured glasses on.

Alex, you need to have a closer look at the Clarkson move, there is a lot of non-hockey impetus for this, and I have to say, this is a great pickup for CBJ. They gave up a guy that is never going to be the same and may never play again (Horton), that they were on the full hook for salary-wise (no insurance)... in exchange for a guy that, frankly, can only get better now that he's out of the TOR spotlight, and might just go back to being the player he was in NJ. He'll never live up to that contract, but he will be infinitely better than they guy that isn't playing, and will cost them the same amount of money. While its good for TOR to get rid of that contract, I'm a little surprised they could not get more for him.

Edited by - nuxfan on 02/26/2015 19:22:27
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  05:07:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

Oh almost forgot, Sekac for Smith Pelly, what a great trade for Montréal. I think the Ducks were trying to shed some salary while getting some speed up front. They might be sheddin salary for a big trade coming up? We'll see.

Sekac`s cap hit is 1.325 million and DSP is 950k , i think the ducks just had a lot of players with a game like DSP`s and wanted a higher skilled player, the scoring ceiling is really high on Sekac, now he still has to realize that potential but its there.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  12:15:28  Show Profile
Clarkson for the Horton contract. I wonder does this mean we could expect a Phaneuf for Prongers contract. This was a huge go-around the CBA. Bet next CBA this loop hole is fix. But then again, I think this hugely benefits the league, by having a team that can absorb the bad contracts in this way. Columbus was screwed long term without this move. Just like Philly was screwed long term because of Pronger and Boston with Savard, except that Philly and Boston can afford to pay a guy who is never gonna play again, sitting on the IR, but not counting against the cap, while Columbus had no chance of continuing getting better with Hortons contract, as they truly cant spend at the level of Toronto, Boston, Philly.

Schrewed move by Shanahan and Columbus. I wonder what favour Columbus now owes Shanahan. Was this the best return Clarkson could give them? They could have picked up $2 million of his contract and only paid $2 million for Clarkson to play against them. Now they are paying $5+ million a year for Clarkson to play against them. Some times I wish I was rich enough to be that stupid.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 02/27/2015 14:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  12:30:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Clarkson for the Horton contract. I wonder does this mean we could expect a Phaneuf for Prongers contract. This was a huge go-around the CBA. Bet next CBA this loop hole is fix. But then again, I think this hugely benefits the league, by having a team that can absorb the bad contracts in this way. Columbus was screwed long term without this move. Just like Philly was screwed long term because of Pronger and Boston with Savard, except that Philly and Boston can afford to pay a guy who is never gonna play again, sitting on the IR, but not counting against the cap, while Columbus had no chance of continuing getting better with Hortons contract, as they truly cant spend at the level of Toronto, Boston, Philly.

Schrewed move by Shanahan and Columbus. I wonder what favour Columbus now owes Shanahan. Was this the best return Clarkson could give them? They could have picked up $2 million of his contract and only paid $2 million for Clarkson to play again them. Now they are paying $5+ million a year for Clarkson to play against them. Some times I wish I was rich enough to be that stupid.

Uhhh I`d say its quite the opposite what favor does Shanahan and Nonis owe Columbus and Kekäläinen, they would still be paying Clarkson 5.75 million a season for 5 more years thats what about a milion per goal, not to mention he has been utterly usless his entire time in Toronto,

Yeah its Toronto that owes Columbus big,

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  14:20:54  Show Profile
Bad play or not, Clarkson is probably still a $3 mill a year player. Most people think Clarkson's play or struggles have a lot to do with playing in Toronto and expect an improvement with his new home. Time will tell, but I still say they are pay $3 more million a year than they should have to have a guy play against them for another team.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  16:50:43  Show Profile
nuxfan....I do get it. It's one of those "business" deals moreso than a hockey deal! Smart by both GM's to some degree, I just think that CBJ could have gotten a pick thrown in or something a little more!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  22:40:53  Show Profile
So, apparently the Sens were kicking the tires on David Clarkson as well??? Maybe I'm wrong and there was a sudden demand for him? Lol.

The more I look at the deal, the more I agree with Joshua's take that the next CBA will prob "fix" this loophole!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  20:28:41  Show Profile
Vermette to Chicago. Not surprised, but the 1st rounder and Delbeck. No idea on Delbeck, but that's a middle pack 1st rounder as well provided Chicago stays roughly the same position in the standings. Decent return for Vermette who will be a free agent and unlikely to fit into Chicagos financial future next year. Chicago fills the void Kane has left, mostly and Vermette gets his chance to play with a team with a great chance at challenging for the cup. Not saying they are comparable players because Kane is better all around, but Vermette is off the same mold just not as talented Offense wise. This could be a good fit. Good move for both teams.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  23:50:40  Show Profile
Nuxfan , yes I was glad the leafs picked up clarkson when they did, a gritty forward coming to a building team....now mind you , he never did play as good has I thought he would, but that's it you win some you lose some..... Now that the leafs are in sell and rebuild mode, of course this trade is a blessing
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  07:30:32  Show Profile
Beans or any other Edmonton fan what can you tell me about Petry, since hes now a member of the habs can someone give an ignorant east coaster a scouting report??

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  10:55:53  Show Profile
I've not seen the Oilers a ton lately, but have read he's been their best overall dman? The Oilers were trying to get more for him but eventually lowered their expectations for whatever reason. I wouldn't expect him to step in and be a top pairing dman for the Habs by any means, but he is for sure in their 3-6 range but that will prob depend on chemistry and performance down the stretch.
I like this deal for Montreal.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  11:57:28  Show Profile
The scoop on Petry is he is a 3-4 defenseman and likely not much better than what you have playing at that position already. He is right handed which is why he was sought after. He is a good team player and will fit in well with the defense you have already, but on your teams depth chart he is 5-6 defenseman. The best part of your team picking him up is he was one of the cheapest Right Handed Defenseman on the available list and it keeps him out of Detroit's hands, who need righty's. This also forced Detroit into picking up Zidlicky who isn't as good and much older/ smaller than Petry.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 03/02/2015 12:00:32
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  12:56:52  Show Profile
Best news for me today was Florida and Philly didn't add to there roster only subtractions to there roster and Coburn out of Philly is a big blow to the backend. Fleicshman out of Florida is a huge loss to Florida for Heatley, who I don't think is playing at the moment, with only 7 points in the AHL.

If my team has a chance of catching Boston and surpassing the others this is as good a chance as any. Boston only added Brent Connelly, a young up down bottom 6 player with 12 goals and 15 points on the season. I know a lot of the other top 7 teams in the East added ok, but Ottawa only has to catch Boston. The other best part to me is nobody sacrificed for the playoff drive. I was expecting Anderson to be shopped, but glad they retain him, so if Hammond can't keep his wonderful play going there is the veteran to slot back into the #1 once he is healthy.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  13:12:59  Show Profile
Canucks picked up Sven Baertschi, for this coming year's second round pick. I don't know much about him though, whats up? He's 22 and a former first round pick, why is CGY giving up on him so early?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  17:12:06  Show Profile
Heard one big problem with Baertschi thus far in his young career is his refusal to play on the defensive side of the puck? Maybe coaching can change that but it's not too long ago this kid was considered one of the best junior players! For Calgary to give up on a 13th overall first rounder, they must be convinced he has little to offer, especially for what should be a middle of the road 2nd rounder? Hopefully this guy just needs a change of scenery/coach and perhaps he can rekindle his once promising career?

Def look for the Canucks to move a goalie at/before the draft to recoup a pick or two as they now are pretty thin for draft picks this June. I guess they can try to trade negotiating rights to a guy like Matthias if they can't get him signed as well?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  20:59:59  Show Profile
No big names moved for the leafs on deadline day, was Hoping for at least phaneuf or Lupul to be on the move, oh well. Is it just me or does any other leaf fan think that most of the players that Nonis moved out were the ones who were actually playing good for them this season ??...other than the clarkson contract dump, which was an excellent move .... It's like all the core, problem, inconsistent players are still there !!!!!!!!!??? Every player I personally would like to see gone off the leafs DID NOT get traded.... Most of the players who got traded were the ones who GAVE IT ALL this season and worked their ass off every game !!!.... I know the leafs are in rebuild mode but in some twisted way this pattern seems counter - productive . The guys who are lazy, give 50 % a night, mope to the bench on line changes , don't seem to care or listen,injury prone, and have attitudes are still wearing a leads jersey..... The guys who don't have any of these characteristics, ( eg ) santorrelli , Winnik , holzer ( who is young and a monster ) are gone...I don't know , I guess there is a master plan ::))... Leafs better be careful though who the master planner is::))....personally I find it rather ironic that the person who made most of this contractural nightmare is the same person who is given the reigns to fix it...... It's like , well I ( nonis ) screwed all this up so I guess I gotta fix all my mistakes... Ahhh what odds, it's only gonna cost MLSE about 30-40 million anyway, who cares . I cannot for the life of me understand how Nonis is given the responsibility to rebuild this team after giving out so many bad , overpaid contracts... He proved by doing this that he has NO CLUE of what an NHL player is worth, but yet here he is again, putting the new team together... Only in leaf land , shame on you shannahan
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  22:33:09  Show Profile
Sorry , kind of got carried away there typing...
I should have summarized the point I was trying to make...
This core of leaf players have been surrounded by 3 diffrent groups of support players, this 2014 - 2015 support group have been the best yet, they were fantastic BUT for the 3rd time in a row this core group has failed this team.....so what did management do ?
Trade away the fantastic support group and KEEP the same core !!!!! They're ALL still there, every1 of them !!!!
This is what I meant when I said ( other than clarksons ontract ) in some weird , twisted way this seems counter productive... Anyway, I've had my rant for today
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  08:03:43  Show Profile
quote:

Trade away the fantastic support group and KEEP the same core !!!!! They're ALL still there, every1 of them !!!!
This is what I meant when I said ( other than clarksons ontract ) in some weird , twisted way this seems counter productive... Anyway, I've had my rant for today

Summer deals - all 3 of them will probabaly fetch more come summertime. The reality is that most buyers at trade deadline are not thinking about big forward-looking deals. They are looking to pickup relatively inexpensive rentals for a deep playoff run. I would have been surprised if they had been moved at this point - Clarkson and Kane were the exceptions, not the rule, for trade deadline deals.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  11:00:34  Show Profile
To move these guys a team has to be willing to free up long term cash for short term gain. The only teams in a playoff position that could have added Phaneuf, Kessel, Bozak, Lupul and Clarkson were the Wild, Islanders, Jets, Preds, and Flames. Calgary was selling not buying because of the injury to Giordano and there was nothing on the market of his caliber. No chance they take the risk of giving up assets to bring in Kessel, plus they are a budget team right now. Phaneuf is a no go. Bozak and Lupul don't bring what Calgary needs. The Wild, Jets, Preds and Islanders made better pick ups for cheaper or less risk due to injury and chemistry.

All of the other trade partners for Toronto were bubble teams on the outside of the playoffs Ottawa, Dallas, Devils and Sharks. The Sharks made a few good pickups, but already have a few mammoth contracts they have to deal with and unlikely to take on other problem contracts. Its unlikely any of the other teams will make the playoffs and most of them were selling or standing pat, not willing to sacrifice the future for slim playoff hopes. No chance Ottawa or Devils take on the problem contract of a division rival.

Anybody else not on the list were sellers, playoff positioned but pushed to the cap or smart trade partners like Columbus, who got rid of a non playing contract for a player who is playing. The rest are waiting till the offseason.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 03/03/2015 11:05:35
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  22:39:08  Show Profile
I certainly agree with you both these players, along with their contracts are not easy to move... Especially with so much negativity being put out through the Toronto media everyday regarding the useless-ness of these players
I'd Love to see people like sitter , Clark , Gilmour get involved with the operations of the Toronto maple leafs somehow. Maybe help out , give some input into the new rebuild of this franchise... Which they were once a huge part of
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page