Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2014/15 MVP Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

defobust
Top Prospect

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2015 :  07:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who would you give the nod to in this year's Hart Trophy race (MVP)?

Choices:

Alex Ovechkin
John Tavares
Carey Price
Sidney Crosby
Vladimir Tarasenko
Other

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2015 :  22:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voted Ovechkin, since I don't think goalies should be included in this, sorry. I've always contended it is actually ridiculous to truly pick MVP's including goalies, since if it were done on true merits, it would be a goalie almost every year.

If goalies are included AND treated equally (they aren't) . . . then it should be Price. Followed by Rinne. And with third place going to either Dubnyk in Minny or Hammburglar in Ottawa if/when either of those teams make the playoffs.

Should be a real close one, though, putting aside all those arguments. People will be reluctant to wholeheartedly vote Ovie after last year's worst every 50 goal season . . . but he's a changed man, and deserves it. Crosby puts up his points, but hasn't dominated, seemingly. Lots of other in the mix, and Tavares should be right there too.

But I say it'll be Ovie, and deservedly so.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  10:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its gotta be Carey, no question he has had a super human season and to aid him there is no real clear cut forward,,, the scoring race will probably be won wil 90 ish points maybe less which makes it so much easier to pick price!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  14:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really see a front runner standout player this year like most. I'd like to say Taveres, based on the huge leap NYI have done and the fact he is currently the points leader for the league. My second choice would be one not even in contention at the moment. With all the press on what the Hamburglar has done for Ottawa, not a lot of attention has been leveled on Ottawa's Karlsson. He isn't even running away with Norris contention, in most opinions, even though he is leading the points race for defenseman, currently. He is leading the league in points since the xmas break and in +/-

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=759847

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 03/26/2015 16:48:05
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  22:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I don't really see a front runner standout player this year like most. I'd like to say Taveres, based on the huge leap NYI have done and the fact he is currently the points leader for the league. My second choice would be one not even in contention at the moment. With all the press on what the Hamburglar has done for Ottawa, not a lot of attention has been leveled on Ottawa's Karlsson. He isn't even running away with Norris contention, in most opinions, even though he is leading the points race for defenseman, currently. He is leading the league in points since the xmas break and in +/-

Are you kidding Karlsson is a pittafull defender its a tarnish on the Norris trophy that he has ever won the Norris, he had been having a terrible year untill Methot came back and shored up his defence, no Karlsson for mvp is laughable

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  08:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, you must see the game differently than I do. A tarnish on the Norris trophy! Finally having a responsible partner for half the season has allowed Karlsson to open up his game and now he's running away with the scoring lead for defenseman and scoring lead on his own team. Name one other Norris candidate who doesn't have a decent defensive partner that's in consideration fro the Norris. This guy is eating up minutes (3rd best in the league). This team lives or dies based on what he brings to the offense. No offense to Hamburglar, Hoffman, Ryan, Turris, Zibanijad or Stone, but remove Karlsson from the lineup and this team would be sitting at the bottom of the league and not fighting hard for the last playoff wildcard..

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

Are you kidding Karlsson is a pittafull defender its a tarnish on the Norris trophy that he has ever won the Norris, he had been having a terrible year untill Methot came back and shored up his defence, no Karlsson for mvp is laughable

[pause] Hello? Hello?

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  13:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy is a defenceman who can't defend, his primary job is to defend and he is barely capable of doing that, no wait he is not capable of doing that, he's a 4th forward out there. If they gave a trophy for best offensive defenceman yeah hands down he can have that trophy but MVP and best defenceman I reiterate laughable

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  13:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The guy is a defenceman who can't defend, his primary job is to defend and he is barely capable of doing that, no wait he is not capable of doing that, he's a 4th forward out there. If they gave a trophy for best offensive defenceman yeah hands down he can have that trophy but MVP and best defenceman I reiterate laughable

[pause] Hello? Hello?

I agree with Pasty . . . which is why I always thought Subban's Norris win a couple of years ago was a bit of a joke. He got away with his poor defence due to his all-star goalie behind him . . . and in the end, it's a team sport, and that's why a good team has strong parts that cover up the weak parts.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  14:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Slozo's last comment, but I will say one thing in addition, when partnered with a decent defensive partner Karlsson doesn't look out of place defensively. I don't think that its because his partner covers his defensive lapse, but because he is trying to be everywhere at once on the ice. Its when he tries to do too much he ends up out of position. I think Karlsson has more defensive chops than Subban, with or without a partner like Methot.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  01:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:

[pause] Hello? Hello?

I agree with Pasty . . . which is why I always thought Subban's Norris win a couple of years ago was a bit of a joke. He got away with his poor defence due to his all-star goalie behind him . . . and in the end, it's a team sport, and that's why a good team has strong parts that cover up the weak parts.

Agreed Subban should never have come close to a Norris, Weaber should have won the last 4 ,,,

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  05:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

when partnered with a decent defensive partner Karlsson doesn't look out of place defensively.

So when partnered with someone that is actually reliable defensively, Karlsson doesn't look "out of place"? This is not exactly a ringing endorsement for a Norris candidate.

A few years back when Karlsson won the Norris I was adamantly against it, but the Norris has become more about offense, and much less about actual defensive ability. They should just rebrand the trophy as awarded to the best offensive dman and be done with it.

There is certainly something to be said for him being a Hart candidate though, no denying his value to the team overall.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  06:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're all starting to get off topic folks - let's keep it on the MVP discussion, which has just as much controversy.

There are guys like myself that believe there should be a separate goalie MVP and player MVP, others contend that we can actually compare values and evaluate goalies and forwards and defencemen all together.

In theory, I continue to hold that it's utterly impossible and preposterous that we put all three positions together to evaluate an MVP . . . knowing what we do already. We KNOW a goalie is the most important and critical position on the ice - it can be the difference between winning and losing on a nightly basis. And because there's only one . . . there's no one there to make up for your mistakes basically (other than a strong d-corps in total). For defencemen, we KNOW that this position is (debateable, but at the very least) half defence, half offence. And we know it's EXTREMELY difficult to quantify defensive acumen, because of the many mitigating factors (total team defence, defensive partner, defensive coaching style, overall offensive prowess of team, how good goalie is).

And then you have the forwards, judged (for MVP, anyway) almost entirely on offensive stats.

I say it's wrong to mix up judging these three positions, but that's me, using the 'ol logic brain. I know many will disagree, but . . . the fact that there even CAN be so much controversy each year for MVP, means to me, the parameters to judge one are very unclear.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  11:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be ok if for this site only we could state a case for who would be best in there individual positions and playing styles.

Best offensive Forward MVP
Best 2way Forward MVP

Best Offensive Defenseman MVP
Best All Around Defenseman MVP

Goaltender Win, GAA Save %
Goaltender MVP

Rookie Forward MVP
Rookie Defenseman MVP
Rookie Goalie MVP

A person could judge based on the information on there own who of the group would be the most important player for his team. I just don't like how a player who is outstanding in one category and an MVP for his team in this regard is discounted in the overall picture because he doesn't play or is used in regards to the other categories.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  11:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my 2 cents

Best offensive Forward MVP - Crosby
Best 2way Forward MVP - Toews

Best Offensive Defenseman MVP - Karlsson
Best All Around Defenseman MVP - Doughty

Goaltender Win, GAA Save % - Carey Price
Goaltender MVP - Dubnyk

Rookie Forward MVP - Gaudreau
Rookie Defenseman MVP - Ekblad
Rookie Goalie MVP - Hamburglar

There is room for debate on a few of those positions, but little doubt all those names belong in the conversation.
Go to Top of Page

defobust
Top Prospect

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  08:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in reply to JOSHUACANADA last post.

Best offensive forward: This one is tough but I would go with Alex Ovechkin even though my canadian heart tells me to take Tavaras. Ovechkin has been a force this season and for his plus minus going up 40 points from last season that should be enough in its own.

Best 2way forward: Max Patchioretty. He leads the league at +38 and has the most points on a terrible Montreal offence.

Best Off Defenseman - Oliver Ekman Larson He is the only talented player on a terrible Arizona team. He has the most goals by any D-man. My second choice would be Brent Burns but thats kinda unfair as he has been playing forward for the past few seasons.

Best all around Dman - On paper its Doughty no doubt but for a team that very likely wont make the playoffs its hard to give him this award. So I will go with PK Subban...I hate to say it as I am a huge leaf fan but he plays heavy minutes. Is in the top for Dman in plus minus and has 58 points.

Goalie both catigories and its not even close is Carey Price. He leads the league in all goaltending catigories. He is on a top 3 team in his conference. And his team scores by far the least amount of goals for any of the top end teams. As I said originally Price is the seasons MVP and should win this years award.

Rookie Forward is a tight race between johnny hockey and Philip Forsberg.
Rookie Dman is a run away Ekblad
Rookie Goalie Hamburlar

Sean K
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  07:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's my 2 cents

Best offensive Forward MVP - Crosby
Best 2way Forward MVP - Toews

Best All Around Defenseman MVP - Doughty

Goaltender Win, GAA Save % - Carey Price
Goaltender MVP - Dubnyk

Rookie Goalie MVP - Hamburglar

There is room for debate on a few of those positions, but little doubt all those names belong in the conversation.

Nice, I like it . . . I'm in!
Best offensive Forward MVP - Ovechkin
Best 2way Forward MVP - Pacioretty

Best All Around Defenseman MVP - Josi

Goaltender Win, GAA Save % - Price
Goaltender MVP - Price

Rookie Goalie MVP - Hammond

I know I am going to catch flak for that "all-around d-man" pick, but someone's gotta give credit where it's due. And on Nashville, this guy Josi has had an even better year than Weber - from a defensive standpoint.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page