Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 What would it take to get Connor Mcdavid Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  15:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

People have been throwing alot of stupid trade proposals out for the oilers #1 pick which will inevitably be Connor Mcdavid. Recently there was an article published on what teams would have to offer in order to get mcdavid (http://thehockeywriters.com/what-would-you-trade-for-connor-mcdavid/), but it was written from the perspective from the teams trying to acquire McDavid, not from the team trading him (the oilers). So this is me redoing the article as an oilers fan from an oilers point of view.

Note that these are trade proposals indicative of the type of return I would expect for McDavid, and most teams would be unlikely to do these trades as it would deviate from the 'plan', whatever it may be. These returns may seem a bit high, but remember that Mcdavid is an 18yr old prodigy who will attract free agents and coaches as well as being the best prospect since Crosby. Also note that these are trades that the oilers shouldn't necessarily accept, but should strongly consider. In other words these trades will be what I believe to be fair value.

1. Anaheim Ducks
John Gibson, Hampus Lindholm, Jakob Silvferberg, Cam Fowler, Emerson Etem, first round pick

2. Phoenix Coyotes
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Martin Hanzal, Brandon Gormley, Max Domi

3.Boston Bruins
Dougie Hamilition,Malcom Subban, Patrice Bergeron, Reilly Smith, Bostons 2015 first round draft pick

4.Buffalo Sabres
Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart and Zach Bogosian

5. Calgary Flames
Sean Monahan, TJ Brodie, Sam Bennett, Kari Ramo, 2016 1st round pick

6. Carolina Hurricanes
Justin Faulk, Elias Lindholm, Hadyn Fleury, Jeff Skinner, 5th overall pick

7.Chicago Blackhawks
Duncan Keith, Brandon Saad,Teuvo Teravainen, 2 1st round picks

8.Colorado Avalanche
Tyson Barrie, Ryan O'Reilly, Landeskog, 2015 1st round pick

9. Columbus Blue Jackets
Ryan Johansen, Jack Johnson, Artem Anisimov, Boone Jenner, 2015 1st round pick

10.Dallas Stars
Cody Eakin, Trevor Daley, John Klingberg, Jhonas Enroth, Jamie Benn

11. Detriot Red Wings
Gustav Nyquist, Petr Mrazek, Teemu Pulkinen, Danny Dekeyser, Tomas Tatar, Darren Helm, 1st round pick

12.Florida Panthers
Nick Bjugstad, Aaron Ekblad, Jonathan Huberdeau,Dmitry Kulikov, 2015 First round pick

13. L. A. Kings
Jake Muzzin, Tyler Toffoli, Drew Doughty, Martin Jones

14.Minnesota Wild
Mikael Granlund,Matt Dumba,Jonas Brodin, Ryan Suter( with minnesota eating some of the salary), first round pick

15. Montreal Canadiens
PK Subban, Lars Eller, Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, 2015 first round pick

16.Nashville Predators
Seth Jones, Filip Forberg, Shea Weber, 3rd round pick

17.New Jersey Devils
Are one of the two teams in my opinion with too few assets to offer but here is my trade proposal:
Cory Schneider, Adam Henrique, Adam Larsson, 6 first round draft picks

18. New York Islanders
John Tavares, Travis Hamonic, Cal Clutterbuck, Zach Boychuk

19. New York Rangers
Cam Talbot, Chris Kreider,Ryan McDonagh,Kevin Hayes, 1st round pick

20.Ottawa Senators
Mark Stone, Curtis Lazar,Cody Ceci, Mika Zibanejad, 1st round pick

21.Philadelphia Flyers
Wayne Simmonds, Sean Couturier, Claude Giroux, 1st round pick

22.Pittsburgh Penguins
Olli Maata, Derrick Pouliot, Evgeni Malkin, 2016 2nd round pick

23.San Jose Sharks
M. E. Vlasic, Logan Couture,Brent Burns, Tommy Wingels, first round draft pick

24.St. Louis Blues
Same as the article: Tarasenko, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk

25. Tampa Bay Lightning
Steven Stamkos, Victor Hedman, Ryan Callahan, 2015 1st round pick

26.Toronto Maple Leafs
4th overall pick, Morgan Reilly, Nazem Kadri,Phil Kessel

27.Vancouver Canucks
The article suggests the Sedins but they are way too old for a team like the oilers. I really don't think Vancouver actually has the assets to get this done, and the oilers likely wouldn't accept this trade but:
Dan Hamhuis, Bo Horvat, Nick Bonino, Jake Virtanen, 4 first round draft picks

28.Washington Capitals
John Carlsson, Karl Alzner, Evgeni Kuznetsov, Troy Brouwer, 2015 2nd round draft pick

29.Winnipeg Jets
Tobias Enstrom, Mark Scheifele, Blake Wheeler, Josh Morrissey, Nic Petan

30. Edmonton Oilers
Lucky for them they don't have to give up half their team to get McDavid, but a package of players with similar value to McDavid might be : Hall, Eberle, Klefbom and the Pittsburgh pick.

So there are my trade proposals, which ones would you accept if you were the oilers, and which ones would you accept if you were another team? Or just s*** all over them you know.

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  17:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Zach Boychuk should be Johnny Boychuk
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  20:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most of your trade proposals are heavily lopsided, and some border on sheer absurdity. If I were EDM, I would probably take all the trades proposed.

I don't think any of the teams you've mentioned would consider the trade proposals you've suggested - you're asking teams to clean themselves out of several established players and/or bona-fide prospects, as well as a first round pick (or more) this year for McDavid - effectively setting the teams back years. In the case of Buffalo, you've asked for Eichel (who will go second this year, and who EDM would have been happy to get anyway), as well as last year's first round pick and Bogosian. WTF?

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  10:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sahis......Not sure if you're talking about "stupid trade proposals" here on this site as I don't recall a ton of talk on the subject but you bring up a very interesting article here.

Now, for anyone who's missed Sahis' clarification, these offers are NOT what the writer of the article (Matt Brauckmann) suggested, rather Sahis' opinion on what he would consider if he were in charge of the Oilers. And a quick note, Sahis, you've seemed to, on most counts, increased the writers offers? I'm guessing you weren't too interested in some he was throwing out there, nor would i have been!

My thoughts.....

This is very difficult. IF McDavid is more Crosby than he is Daigle, it's easy to say hang onto him and continue to build and assume RNH, Eberle, Hall, Klefbom, Nurse, etc continue to improve. But what if he's a bust, or just simply an above avg guy like Rick Nash? Then it'd def be worth all or most of these offers. That's the beauty of it though, as we don't know till we see how he plays at the NHL level. Let's assume he is the next Crosby though......

I'm not as enamoured as Nuxfan at ALL of these deals from the Oilers prospective. For example, of Sahis's offers, the ones that stand out at me as definitive NO's are the offers from Phoenix and NYR. Just don't think the value is there. There are many others which i would classify as "maybe's" and would need to think long and hard about them if i were the Oilers.

Then there are a few that are no brainers (I'd take them without question) led by the Buff offer. Many had Eichel ranked with or darn close to McDavid. Add in Reinhart and Bogosian and that's an easy one!

Carolina's is very attractive as well mostly due to the fact that the 5th overall is in there. That would land them one of Strome, Marner or Hanifin. Montreal's is nice, though I'd somehow try to get a goalie like Fucale in there. Any deal with Tavares (NYI) included would def get my attention and the same goes for the offer from TB. Anything involving Stamkos, yes please! AND they're gonna give up Hedman?

Again, these are interesting to look at but highly doubtful to happen. But it's always fun to speculate.

Here's one, the Canucks offer, Tanev, McCann, Virtanen, Bonino, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Lack, Demko, both Sedin's, Stanley Park, the Lions Gate bridge and YVR for McDavid?

Yeah, I'd love to see McDavid in a Canucks uni.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  12:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without knowing for certain, I think Sahis has been hit in the neck again.

Kidding, not kidding. I think you have confused a generational player (McDavid) with a revolutionary player (Lindros). You are valuing McDavid as a player who is nearly certain to change the face of the game when he is likely to be the best player of the generation. Huge difference.

I think the asking price is incredibly high. Not naming names, I would say 3 roster players with 2 of those being top tier talent along with a few draft picks/prospects. That is even a stretch. The ideas of the sports writer are pretty close. Sahis is way way way way way Oiler biased.

Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  12:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the trade proposals i know most of the teams wouldn't actually do, but as the oilers i would only consider trades this big. If you read the article though, youll find the most lopsided trade of OEL, max domi, the 3rd overall pick and phoenixs first round pick next year, which will likely be a lottery pick.

Go OILERS Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  15:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Most of the trade proposals i know most of the teams wouldn't actually do, but as the oilers i would only consider trades this big. If you read the article though, youll find the most lopsided trade of OEL, max domi, the 3rd overall pick and phoenixs first round pick next year, which will likely be a lottery pick.

Go OILERS Go!!!

It's funny, this doesn't seem overly crazy to me? I love OEL, but Domi is unproven at the NHL level and this years pick, though good, is a BIG step down from what McDavid is supposed to be. Also, though next years pick "could" be a lottery pick, it just as easily may not be? Even if it is, it could easily be 10-14 overall? So, that offer amounts to OEL, Domi, one of: Strome/Marner/Crouse/Hanifen and a likely 10-14 pick next year? I think Edm could land more, including a package that is more proven.

Pulling the trigger would be extremely tough for Edm. I think someone would have to seriously overpay to convince them to move McDavid or the opportunity to draft him.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  19:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without Ekmanlarsson phx is finishing last
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  15:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without any hesitation whatsoever, the trade proposed to Ottawa, response would sound like a less polite version of go make love to your hat.

20.Ottawa Senators
Mark Stone, Curtis Lazar,Cody Ceci, Mika Zibanejad, 1st round pick

Might get you a 1st this year and 1st next with a Lazar / Ceci / Lehner though. Might still not get Murray happy, but it would be closer.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 05/06/2015 15:21:14
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  16:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Without Ekmanlarsson phx is finishing last

WOW! I hope you arent' talking about this past season??? And if it's next season, you don't think it's possible that McDavid makes up for the lost of OEL? Sure, different positions, but let's face it, OEL led the freakin' Coyotes in scoring with just 43pts! You don't think McDavid could help a few of them to better totals? Also, keep in mind that Boedker and Hanzal both missed significant time and would have both outscored OEL with the pace they were on if not for missing those games. I get it, OEL is good, and I like him too, but if you're talking next season, I'd say NO TEAM with McDavid on it is going to finish last, including the Coyotes if they could get him.

BTW, in that offer, ONLY OEL was included from this year's roster so it's not like you are taking a tonne away from it in this prediction they'd finish last?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  18:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All nonsense
McDavid will 100% be an oiler
What fool trades this pick
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  18:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Might get you a 1st this year and 1st next with a Lazar / Ceci / Lehner though. Might still not get Murray happy, but it would be closer.

Wait what? You know these are proposals for McDavid right? Two first round picks and one player for the best prospect in 30 yrs is pennies on the dollar. Rick Nash at a low point demanding a trade got more than that. The trade that I proposed for Ottawa is probably one of the lower value ones too and one that i wouldn't accept. Alex was asking about the stupid trade proposals i mentioned, this is one.

Go OILERS Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  10:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best prospect in 30 year is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Best draft pick since Crosby is more reasonable. And just because NYR overpaid for the value on Nash doesn't mean anything.

I think the point both sides are trying to make is that McDavid would likely call for a number of key, core players that are young and no team is likely willing to give that value for one player.

Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  13:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think the point both sides are trying to make is that McDavid would likely call for a number of key, core players that are young and no team is likely willing to give that value for one player.

Bingo
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  13:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Bingo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  22:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of these offers are ridiculous, the premise is ridiculous, but . . . that being said . . . we DO deal in absurdities here!

I'll only answer as a Leafs fan - Toronto never does that deal. The end.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  23:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wait what? You know these are proposals for McDavid right? Two first round picks and one player for the best prospect in 30 yrs is pennies on the dollar. Rick Nash at a low point demanding a trade got more than that. The trade that I proposed for Ottawa is probably one of the lower value ones too and one that i wouldn't accept. Alex was asking about the stupid trade proposals i mentioned, this is one.

Go OILERS Go!!!

My suggestion was all 3 Lehner, Ceci and Lazar plus the 2 first round draft picks, which in my opinion might still be high for someone who might not end up any better than Yakopov. The Oilers would add a guy with 2 years of decent goalie stats and 2 decent roster players, both with offensive upside and one of them a highly touted hard working 2 way forward.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 05/09/2015 23:23:51
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  09:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Go OILERS Go!!!

My suggestion was all 3 Lehner, Ceci and Lazar plus the 2 first round draft picks, which in my opinion might still be high for someone who might not end up any better than Yakopov. The Oilers would add a guy with 2 years of decent goalie stats and 2 decent roster players, both with offensive upside and one of them a highly touted hard working 2 way forward.

Ok sorry that's not as bad then. Still if you watched Mcdavid play you'd know he's gonna be better than yakupov, plus yakupov hasn't even come close to living up to his potential yet.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  16:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I am not arguing potential or talent, but then again I guess I am. Both were considered to be top of there draft year offensive wise with no one being remotely close to Mcdavid. Being that Yak was considered a no miss top tier talent, with no close runner up when he was drafted you might understand my skepticism. Yaks was a sure fire no miss, with the only knock on him being he was Russian and they had doubts he would report to the NHL if he didn't get on with the Oilers right away, which he didn't but he hanged on for his chance. Now the Oilers have a reasonable decent forward with a bit of a defensive liability, not lighting up the league or challenging in the scoring race 3 years later. Mcdavid might not have a lot of Yaks down sides but his upsides are comparable, except that he is a center

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Go OILERS Go!!!

Ok sorry that's not as bad then. Still if you watched Mcdavid play you'd know he's gonna be better than yakupov, plus yakupov hasn't even come close to living up to his potential yet.

Go to Top of Page

defobust
Top Prospect

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  07:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No chance the Oilers move this pick....Maybe they move RNH or eberle or Hall or any other prospect for that matter but no chance they move Mc David unless he pulls a Lindros and I do not see him doing that.

But as a leaf fan Id love to see him in our jersery and this is what I would be willing to give up to land him. 4th overal pick (Hanifen which they could def use. Even Strome would be nice.) Dion Phanuff Toronto eats 2.5 million of the deal for the next 4 years, Kadri and next years 1st round pick.

Sean K
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  15:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by defobust

No chance the Oilers move this pick....Maybe they move RNH or eberle or Hall or any other prospect for that matter but no chance they move Mc David unless he pulls a Lindros and I do not see him doing that.

But as a leaf fan Id love to see him in our jersery and this is what I would be willing to give up to land him. 4th overal pick (Hanifen which they could def use. Even Strome would be nice.) Dion Phanuff Toronto eats 2.5 million of the deal for the next 4 years, Kadri and next years 1st round pick.

Sean K

Even with the 4th, it's prob still not enough as McDavid is supposed to be THAT GOOD! The #1 reason this pick won't be moved is the package would include too many unknowns. Let's say Toronto threw in Rielly as well? Sure, he's good, but no one knows yet just how good he "could" be? There's a chance he becomes a top dman in the league, but you could just as easily argue that he could taper out and become another slightly above avg guy? That leaves the package as Kadri (true value unknown), Rielly (value unknown), Strome/Hanifin (totally unknown but expected to be good), next years #1 (could be anywhere/anyone aka unknown) and Dion Phanuef (no comment ) Fair to say that McDavid could be the next Daigle, but any team would more than likely prefer the odds of one single "likely/potential phenom" living up to his expectations over 3 or 4 "avg-above avg players" doing the same.

I do agree though, McDavid would have to "pull a Lindros" for this pick to have a shot at being shopped. Even then, I think the return would be more than a lot of people here seem to think!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page