Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Mike Babcock, free agent coach extraordinaire. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  06:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Having been given the option to talk to other teams now, where will super-coach Mike Babcock land this summer?

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!

Choices:

Detroit
Edmonton
Buffalo
Philadelphia
Toronto
San Jose
St. Louis
OTHER

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  09:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally figured he'd stay in Detroit but rumour has it, he's leaning towards Toronto? With Shanny there, I'd not be surprised at all. They have the money to throw at him, the resources to build with, a HUGE market, etc. Why not?

I'm also pretty confident he'll have a say in player personnel to some degree.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  22:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope he lands in Toronto
Did I hear TSN say today that Babcock hasn't taken Detroit past the 2nd round in the past 6 seasons ??
Didn't realize that
He is a good coach, no lazy players moping up and down the ice for him. His teams play a great structured system... They play the game right and with intensity.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  14:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have literally changed my mind on this almost everyday as we move along into this two week window where Babcock gets to decide where he goes next. The only constant has been, that I know for certain he is not going back to Detroit. They let him have a look before his contract expires, that tells me everything, they want the pick as compensation for losing their coach and not getting him re-signed. So, I think I voted Philadelphia in this poll at first, but I'm wavering between them, Edmonton, Buffalo, Toronto, & I can't help but think there are a few darkhorse teams in the running as well that I haven't tbought of. How about the team that no one is talking about, that might be perfectly poised to take that next step? San Jose?

I'm sticking with Philly, but I think Toronto and Buffalo are right there. Got a strange feeling that Edmonton will just not have enough lure to get him there, even with Mr McDavid there.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  16:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree that Edmonton does not have enough to lure him there, but seriously doubt that will be his destination. Edmonton would have him coach with rich prospects on the team and in the system and where he could make the biggest impact, better than any other team on that list, but as with all free agents is not a sexy destination. Really see him signing in Toronto, but only because its the richest destination for him contract wise and that is why he is moving on, to bring up the value of NHL coaches average contract value. However as learned by Burke and Carlyle, bringing in the best guy for the job is not a guarantee of success. Philly would be a close 2nd for the same reasons as Toronto, high pay, but with Philly the team is in a much better position. I don't think Buffalo is in the running unless he wants a low pressure, profile position, which he doesn't strike me as the type to want to coach out of the spotlight.

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I have literally changed my mind on this almost everyday as we move along into this two week window where Babcock gets to decide where he goes next. The only constant has been, that I know for certain he is not going back to Detroit. They let him have a look before his contract expires, that tells me everything, they want the pick as compensation for losing their coach and not getting him re-signed. So, I think I voted Philadelphia in this poll at first, but I'm wavering between them, Edmonton, Buffalo, Toronto, & I can't help but think there are a few darkhorse teams in the running as well that I haven't tbought of. How about the team that no one is talking about, that might be perfectly poised to take that next step? San Jose?

I'm sticking with Philly, but I think Toronto and Buffalo are right there. Got a strange feeling that Edmonton will just not have enough lure to get him there, even with Mr McDavid there.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2015 :  10:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Joshua, where do you think he's going?

Edmonton hasn't even reached out to Babcock, despite it supposedly being one of the likely places he could go.

I say it's Philly or San Jose, with a very outside chance at Buffalo or Toronto.

Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  12:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked Detroit but now I'm not so sure Babcock wants to stay there. Philly just hired Dave Hakstol as their head coach right out of University hockey. I think of all the choices he has San Jose gives him the best chance for success now. As mentioned I doubt Edmonton is being considered but as an Oiler fan I would love it!!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  18:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Babcock has won everything and has nothing to prove to anyone .
I'm thinking he is looking for a challenge, maybe he is bored of coaching great teams in some weird twisted way...lol
Maybe he is looking for a project team... U guessed it... TORONTO. !!!!!
What better screwed up team to coach can u possibly ask for than the leafs #128526;
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  18:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, forgot to mention...
Be the highest paid coach in NHL history... Leafs got the Bucks Babcock , grab it
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  14:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess he isn't goin to Toronto according to the latest
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  21:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Guess he isn't goin to Toronto according to the latest

Well . . . supposedly got a huge offer from Buffalo, and looks to be strongly considering it. Probably around 5 mil per, and he gets to coach Eichel.

I still don't think San Jose, or even Toronto, is out of it.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  12:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOR appears to be the winner. 8 year/50M, so 6 and change a year. Thats quite the deal for a coach - there are very few coaches that last 8 years with the same team.

IMO, this deal is bordering on ridiculous - the money is crazy, the term is crazy. TOR needs to win a cup under Babcock for this to be considered a good signing, anything less is a fail.

Edited by - nuxfan on 05/20/2015 13:17:52
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  23:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious - now that TOR has a coach that will earn 6.25M per year, what will they have to pay their as-yet-unhired GM?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  11:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah it's a lot of $$$ for sure but as a fan who cares, not out of my pocket #128526;
And has no effect on the players salary cap... So...
I'm just glad the leafs got him
Only ONE caution though ::
NO. MORE. Blaming the leafs woes on the coach lol
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  11:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

NO. MORE. Blaming the leafs woes on the coach lol

Mmmmh. After a few more years of not making the playoffs I'm sure fans will be all over Babcock, just like they were all over past coaches.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  07:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF ?? They miss the playoffs after 1 more season....
You never know who the leafs may bring in, they do have some assets to bring back some good young talent. Even though these assets have under performed at times I still think teams will want some of them ( phaneuf, kessel, bozak , kadri , and who-ever... Lol
Both Calgary and Ottawa had quick turn-arounds, it is possible.
I don't want to see the the leafs move youth for washed up has-beens anymore
It is possible I think after 1 more season for them toake a playoff push with the proper management - Babcock at the helm and top quality goal tending
The most important thing for the leafs now is to finally build a team properly, don't rush things, obtain and develop as much young talent as possible
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  10:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

IF ?? They miss the playoffs after 1 more season....
You never know who the leafs may bring in, they do have some assets to bring back some good young talent. Even though these assets have under performed at times I still think teams will want some of them ( phaneuf, kessel, bozak , kadri , and who-ever... Lol
Both Calgary and Ottawa had quick turn-arounds, it is possible.
I don't want to see the the leafs move youth for washed up has-beens anymore
It is possible I think after 1 more season for them toake a playoff push with the proper management - Babcock at the helm and top quality goal tending
The most important thing for the leafs now is to finally build a team properly, don't rush things, obtain and develop as much young talent as possible

Both Calgary and Ottawa had multiple solid young, HOMEGROWN talents, coupled with multiple solid defensemen and above average goaltending, to queue their turnarounds. TOR currently has very little of that, and it will take a few years of good drafting before they do have that. Having them make the playoffs after 1 more year might be optimistic.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  02:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes agreed
To be honest, I hope they finish bottom 3 for at least 2 more seasons.... Be painful to watch but will certainly bring in at least 2 more possible star players
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  09:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes agreed
To be honest, I hope they finish bottom 3 for at least 2 more seasons.... Be painful to watch but will certainly bring in at least 2 more possible star players

I recall EDM fans saying the same thing in 2009. And here we are, 6 years later. I don't think TOR management will be allowed to let a rebuild go that far.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page