Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Free agents with no contracts Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  17:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of free agents on the market with no contracts. If Las Vegas and Quebec where both teams today, there would be enough players on the open market right now to ice to competitive roster in free agents and players playing in lower leagues because of the lack of open roster spots now. Here is the full list attach to NHL rosters last year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773192&navid=nhl:topheads

Here are the highlights

Forwards by name that were or are regular NHL players

Gomez, Havlat, Jokinen, Morrow, Boyes, Erat, Fleischman, Glencross, Moss, Tlusty, Stempniak, Paille, Gleason, Bergenheim, Setoguchi, Jared Staal, Carcillo, Regin, Peverley, Cole, Joensuu, Roy, Heatley, Upshall Ballard, Bickell, Malhotra, etc,etc,etc

Defenseman by name that were or are NHL regulars

Volchencov, Visnovsky, Franson, Gonchar, Kaleta, Meszaros, Rozsival, Hejda, Zidlicky, Aulie, Regher, Leopald, Weber, etc, etc, etc

Goaltenders who were regular starters or backups

Budaj, Allen, Gustavsson, Fasth, Harding, Macdonald, Emery, etc,etc,etc

These are the recognizable names on the list, which is littered with tonnes of former 20+ goal scoring 40+ point performing forwards in or around the 30ish mark. Some of them are way higher in former performance than future potential, but a few are decent regulars. same with the defenseman available, although a lot of the names are older European defenseman and a few former allstars nearing the end of there careers. The goaltenders are all guys with recent poor seasons and checkered pasts, but a few are guys who are young enough and good enough that they have lots of career left, even a few who played in the Stanley cup finals.

Can easily understand why now the NHL is expanding as I could build a decent competitive roster from what remains unsigned and that's just the name I recognise from the NHL site, not the European, KHL and Minor League rosters that cant seem to crack the lineup due to technicality's.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/10/2015 15:26:44

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  09:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow....that list would make up one heckuva underwhelming team! I hope through the expansion draft a new team may be able to pick up some help!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  14:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Wow....that list would make up one heckuva underwhelming team! I hope through the expansion draft a new team may be able to pick up some help!

I hope you were joking. It would be easy from that list to find a complete and reasonably paid forward core. The defense while a little old in the tooth is litter with good name defenseman. There are at least 3 decent goaltenders from that list who deserve a chance away from the crap teams in which they (tanked) the last go around.

Morrow, Boyes, Glencross, Roy, Tlusty, Gomez wouldn't be a bad top 6 and likely put up better stats than Pheonix, Columbus, Florida, Vancouver, Toronto, Colorado, New Jersey and a few others top 6 numbers.

The bottom 6 could easily be and one of the Bickell, Stempniak, Paille, Gleason, Bergenheim, Setoguchi, Jordan Staal, Erat, Fleishman and Moss.

Gonchar, Visnovsky, Volchencov, Franson, Aulie and Rosival would make a decent 6 man dcorp.

For my money the 3 goalies I would pick up to give a rebirth would be Harding, Allen and Macdonald. Harding and Allen have the ability IMO, to be a number 1's and Mcdonald has been a decent and very underrated backup for his whole career.

That's a 25 man roster, which you would be hard pressed to sign over the cap, even if you over paid. The way I figured it based on what I figured there worth is, it would take $60 to $65 million to sign those from my list and they would likely be pushing for a playoff position. And these are just the name players, unsigned from NHL teams FA. You could come up with another NHL teams worth of decent NHL quality players not attached to this list.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  14:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have been misinformed, but a guy recently told me the Penguins had signed Gonchar. I presumed for a special teams role.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  15:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boyes 14 - 24 - 38 in 78 games and way under utilized on an anemic offense last year in Florida. This guy with average linemates at top 6 minutes is a 25-30 goal scorer and 50-60 point player.

Morrow 3 - 5 - 8 in 70 games and way under utilized on a bottom 6 role last year in Tampa. Still believe Morrow with average linemates and top 6 minutes can get 15+ goals and 35-45 point potential

Glencross 13 - 22 - 38 in 71 games Calgary / Washington playing for most of the year miscast in a bottom 6 role. This guy is a 15-20 goal guy with 40-50 point potential with average linemates and top 6 minutes

Roy 12 - 20 - 32 in 72 games Buffalo / Edmonton again with poor linemates. Imagine if they would have had him with top line minutes and players. This guy has 15-25 goal and 40-50 point potential with average teammates on the top 6

Tlusty 14 - 17 - 31 in 71 games Carolina / Winnipeg bad team in Carolina and miscast in bottom 6 in Winnipeg. Should be a 20-25 goal player with 40-50 point potential

Gomez 7 - 27 - 34 in 58 games. Actually a great bounce back season showing lots of work ethic, if he had have played more this would look better. He was playing like a 10 goal 50 point player with New Jersey and still has potential for more around 15 goals and 60 points with the right linemates and top 6 minutes.

I think this top 6 could compete and be a 110-130 goal with a 250 to 300 point potential.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/04/2015 15:05:20
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  15:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

I may have been misinformed, but a guy recently told me the Penguins had signed Gonchar. I presumed for a special teams role.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Training camp invite tryout is what I heard
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  09:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Here are the highlights

Forwards by name that were or are regular NHL players

Gomez, Havlat, Jokinen, Morrow, Boyes, Erat, Fleischman, Glencross, Moss, Tlusty, Stempniak, Paille, Gleason, Bergenheim, Setoguchi, Jordan Staal, Carcillo, Regin, Peverley, Cole, Joensuu, Roy, Heatley, Upshall Ballard, Bickell, Malhotra, etc,etc,etc

How is Jordan Staal on this list? he's locked up long-term with Carolina.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  15:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its Jared Staal not Jordan... and there is no way this team wins more than 12 games in the NHL yeah lots of big names also lots of 35 plus players that a real slow... there is a reason teams havn `t offerd these players contracts other than Franson I don`t see any of these players getting more than a pro tryout offer. Peverley and Harding would not be FA`s but both are retireing due to health concerns.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  17:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hope you were joking. It would be easy from that list to find a complete and reasonably paid forward core. The defense while a little old in the tooth is litter with good name defenseman. There are at least 3 decent goaltenders from that list who deserve a chance away from the crap teams in which they (tanked) the last go around.

Morrow, Boyes, Glencross, Roy, Tlusty, Gomez wouldn't be a bad top 6 and likely put up better stats than Pheonix, Columbus, Florida, Vancouver, Toronto, Colorado, New Jersey and a few others top 6 numbers.

Hate to say it Joshua, but I wasn't joking in the least! That team, IMO, would have HORRENDOUS! Those top two lines you made up would make a decent 3rd line on most NHL squads! There's NO WAY in the world that team would put up better numbers than the ones you listed. Okay, maybe Toronto. In all seriousness though, do you really think that those top two lines would outscore a team with the Sedins? Or one with Duchene, Mackinnon, Landeskog, etc. How about Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjusgstad, etc? How about R. Johansen, Foligno, Saad, etc? I dunno, I still think that team would be pretty bad.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  05:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrible team
Terrible forward group
They're not signed for a reason. Gomez in top 6 ?
Even Bozak - JVR - kadri are a major upgrade than those has-beens
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  13:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might have overstated a few of these players, but you have to admit at the time it was a large group of unsigned players for the NHL. Might not have cracked a lot of teams top 4 defenseman or top 6 forwards, but there are lots of players deserving of contracts.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  14:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Hate to say it Joshua, but I wasn't joking in the least! That team, IMO, would have HORRENDOUS! Those top two lines you made up would make a decent 3rd line on most NHL squads! There's NO WAY in the world that team would put up better numbers than the ones you listed. Okay, maybe Toronto. In all seriousness though, do you really think that those top two lines would outscore a team with the Sedins? Or one with Duchene, Mackinnon, Landeskog, etc. How about Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjusgstad, etc? How about R. Johansen, Foligno, Saad, etc? I dunno, I still think that team would be pretty bad.
[/quote]

I started looking at the teams and players you suggested and were defending and to be honest, most of those teams performed pretty bad offensively for there top 6 forward groups last year and most could use a few of the players I suggested. Those players you defended were mostly a bunch of 15-25 goalscorers ranging from 35 - 70 points a season last year, with the majority closer to the bottom than the top. I would expect my suggested top 6 players to perform at or near there performance.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  15:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Setoguchi, Glencross and Boyes just signed tryout contracts with Toronto and should have little problems making the team with the current make up of the roster. My guess is in Toronto 1 or 2 of them shouldn't have a hard time cracking the top 6.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/10/2015 15:28:04
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  08:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I started looking at the teams and players you suggested and were defending and to be honest, most of those teams performed pretty bad offensively for there top 6 forward groups last year and most could use a few of the players I suggested. Those players you defended were mostly a bunch of 15-25 goalscorers ranging from 35 - 70 points a season last year, with the majority closer to the bottom than the top. I would expect my suggested top 6 players to perform at or near there performance.

Of those I mentioned, really only Colorado had some struggles last season really. The Florida players prob had the lowest numbers, but are still young and improving vastly. No way in the world would ANY of those free agents play ahead of the Florida guys I mentioned. I'm not saying a guy like Glencross or Boyes couldn't play 2nd line minutes on some NHL teams, but to imply that a good first line could be made from that list is a bit far fetched. Sure, Boyes, or maybe Glencross could fill in on a top line as the 3rd best player I guess, but it's unlikely. But, realistically, tell me a team where you think anyone from that list plays on a top line? Like I said, it's possible a guy like Boyes could slide into a wing with a couple of guys (for example, the Sedins) and have some success, but lets face it, there's a reason they're FA's still.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  08:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I am not gonna argue that these guys should be on most teams top line or are superstars, but I do feel the group of 6 players, I selected are guys who have and can still crack more than a few teams top 6.

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Of those I mentioned, really only Colorado had some struggles last season really. The Florida players prob had the lowest numbers, but are still young and improving vastly. No way in the world would ANY of those free agents play ahead of the Florida guys I mentioned. I'm not saying a guy like Glencross or Boyes couldn't play 2nd line minutes on some NHL teams, but to imply that a good first line could be made from that list is a bit far fetched. Sure, Boyes, or maybe Glencross could fill in on a top line as the 3rd best player I guess, but it's unlikely. But, realistically, tell me a team where you think anyone from that list plays on a top line? Like I said, it's possible a guy like Boyes could slide into a wing with a couple of guys (for example, the Sedins) and have some success, but lets face it, there's a reason they're FA's still.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  09:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Setoguchi, Glencross and Boyes just signed tryout contracts with Toronto and should have little problems making the team with the current make up of the roster. My guess is in Toronto 1 or 2 of them shouldn't have a hard time cracking the top 6.

Glencross looks to be a lock to make this team, in my opinion. Probably top 6.

As to Setoguchi and Boyes? I find it unlikely they make the cut, but we'll see. Some of it may depend on if we actually get rid of any more of the old core, specifically Lupul and Bozak. Who knows?

Apparently though, the new Leafs are the PTO leaders!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  10:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:

Glencross looks to be a lock to make this team, in my opinion. Probably top 6.

As to Setoguchi and Boyes? I find it unlikely they make the cut, but we'll see. Some of it may depend on if we actually get rid of any more of the old core, specifically Lupul and Bozak. Who knows?

Apparently though, the new Leafs are the PTO leaders!

I am starting to feel like I don't know something about Boyes that everyone else does.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468504

That's a link to his career stats. The guy was a stud in St Louis, played great in all but 1 of his 3 partial seasons in Buffalo, had an excellent season in the shortened year with NYI and then took a slight stat dip compared to his career numbers in Florida, which sound about normal to me. This guy scores at a .26 gpg clip and is a .631 ppg player career.

Why is this guy not on everyone's radar? If I am missing something, please let me know, because he is an early 30 decent size player with offensive skills. The way I figure it based on the stats of last years Toronto players and whos no longer there, he would be a top 6 lock.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  13:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek Roy just signed a Professional Tryout with Washington. Pretty much the last big name on my list unsigned. Another player I am confused at how he ended up going so long without an actual NHL contract. He has a .25 gpg and a .71 ppg average. Yakopov went on record stating how much he liked playing with Roy and credited a lot of growth in his game to Roy.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  14:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the remaining players on my list:

Havlat to Florida on a PTO
Fleischman to Montreal on a PTO
Franson to the Sabres signed 2 years at 3.25 million
Gomez to St Louis on a PTO

Really surprised a lot of these veterans are only getting PTO instead of 1 year lower cap hit contracts. I can see why Toronto is targeting some of these players because they don't know whether these guys are too good for the tank job they are about to undertake, but in the case of Montreal who is lacking veteran scoring power, especially with Pacorietty not certain of a timetable for a return. There are a few teams like Montreal out there where some veterans with decent stats should have been targeting these guys all off season. Its just weird to have so many go the option of Professional Tryout.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  21:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am starting to feel like I don't know something about Boyes that everyone else does.

That's a link to his career stats. The guy was a stud in St Louis, played great in all but 1 of his 3 partial seasons in Buffalo, had an excellent season in the shortened year with NYI and then took a slight stat dip compared to his career numbers in Florida, which sound about normal to me. This guy scores at a .26 gpg clip and is a .631 ppg player career.

Why is this guy not on everyone's radar? If I am missing something, please let me know, because he is an early 30 decent size player with offensive skills. The way I figure it based on the stats of last years Toronto players and whos no longer there, he would be a top 6 lock.

Boyes had a very good first day of training camp.

Problem was never his skill - it was his speed. Well, we'll see . . . but I was going off reports that he wasn't able to skate at a NHL level anymore basically.

Hey, I hope he's good to go! Will be a solid 2nd rounder at the trade deadline . . .

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  11:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:

Boyes had a very good first day of training camp.

Problem was never his skill - it was his speed. Well, we'll see . . . but I was going off reports that he wasn't able to skate at a NHL level anymore basically.

Hey, I hope he's good to go! Will be a solid 2nd rounder at the trade deadline . . .

I know I am probably beating a dead horse here but here is a link to an article which the subject looks like this (Brad Boyes unsigned?)

http://www.tsn.ca/how-is-brad-boyes-still-available-1.331945

The article goes into his good underlying stats and goal scoring potential from the 3rd line in Offense starved Florida and how he got bought out to make room for AHL and prospects to move up in the system. No mention of locker room problems or lack of speed present. What was mentioned is hustle and ability. He is one of 45 players who play at forward with positive scoring #'s related to how his team performs, while he is on the ice, compared to when he wasn't and the only unsigned player from that group of 45 players.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page