Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 How good or bad will the Leafs be this season Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  09:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
There have been many major changes to the Leafs lineup most notably the Kessel departure. After seeing a lot of PTO players sign in Toronto due to the lack of depth and the large amount of prospect players brought in thru the draft and trades, I have to wonder how good this team can be. With Babcock, Shannahan and Lamorello as the backbone for Management and Coaching this team seems surprisingly stable.

Choices:

Too many changes, bottom of the League
Solid Management, decent core bounceback Middle of the pack.
This years surprise to make the Playoffs
Other and why in the comments

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  05:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually i'd argue that their haven't been many "major" changes to this line up at all. The Kessel trade aside, what else has changed? Many of the core players that were on the team last year are still here... JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Lupul, Phanuef, Gardiner, Reilly, Bernier, Reimer, Polak, Komorov, Holland, Panik, Robidas...

Sure they've signed a handful of guys to short term deals and PTO's, and made a trade for Grabner, but I wouldn't classify those as major changes. The fact remains that the core group (minus Kessel) is still here.

will they improve from last year? yes I think so, but that isn't too hard to do considering where they finished.
will they make the playoffs? nope. too many teams in the east are much better then they are.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  21:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, there are quite a few more new names on the roster or potential roster, but I don't think you are fully appreciating Babcock and the stability in the Management office here. You could run the same roster as last year with those changes and I would guarantee a few more points. No chance Babcok would have let that lackluster post xmas run go without cracking a few heads.

But just for fun lets go over the changes.

Mark Arcebello undersized but gifted offensively. Expect him to have a decent season.

PA Parenteau, no idea why Montreal let this guy go, decent player
good for 40 points

Curtis Glencross PTO, guarantee to make the team if someone else doesn't sign him first. Good for 50+ points

Brad Boyes PTO, if they sign him, very capable of a 20-25 goal output and 50 point season

Matt Hunwick, should be a good top 4 pairing, decent defensively.

Plus Eric Brewer PTO, if he signs he is a decent top 6 defenseman

Word is TO is gonna pair Reilly with Gardiner on the top pairing. This will bring down Phaneufs TOI which in itself should help his game andhelp the team overall.

Kessel gone means Bozak is not the default #! centerman, which may mean its Kadri's time to shine.

All in all there have been a lot of changes and I actually don't expect this team to finish 25-30. The have the pieces to be a 20-15 team, maybe better.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  10:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you fully Joshua . Provided that three things happen : 1 ) Bernier has a great season ( no faith in Reimer at all )...2 ) All these PTO,s actually sign ( no brewer please ) and......3 ) Phaneuf is either buried or traded because his stupid, stupid defensive play costs this team so much every bonehead play he makes.
These players...Boyes, Glencross, Parenteau, Arcebello and Grabner are 5 dam good hockey players, NOT star players BUT they will make a huge difference to Toronto.
It is possible if these things happen , along with Babcock coaching.... The leafs CAN obtain a possible 16 up to 12 th overall finish in my opinion.
For those who disagree ... Explain how Boston and LA missed the playoffs last season #128526;
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  10:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing in your last statement I strong disagree with is your assessment on Phaneuf. Of the Toronto defenseman his is likely the guy whom Toronto has leaned on the most in the past and that is why he has struggled, while trying to be the difference maker. The best thing Toronto could do is to reduce his TOI. With reduced TOI and used in situations that play to his strengths he is still one of the best defenseman Toronto has. I wouldn't pair him with a like minded, hit first offense minded partner, rather a stay at home defenseman, who is strong positional and a good skater to cover when Phaneuf is pinching. Still good for top pairing minutes, but I would rather put him on 2nd pairing minutes and PP. A guy like him would flourish on a team like LA or Boston.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  20:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, let me get this straight:

- the Leafs didn't really change much over the summer - except trade away their top scoring winger, and replace him with a bunch of PTO candidates and guys that could not find success with much better teams last year.

- many teams around them did get better this season, or at the very least, stayed the same as they did last year, when they were walking all over TOR.

- despite these realities, the Leafs will improve by anywhere from 8-20 spots (depending on who you read) this season.

I don't get it.

Is there that much faith in Babcock - that this team is a bunch of great players, just waiting for the right coach to get the good out of them? Or in the Shanahan/Lamorello GM combo?

I think the Leafs will once again finish in the bottom quarter of the league. If they manage to make the playoffs, Babcock should win coach of the decade.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  23:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

So, let me get this straight:

- the Leafs didn't really change much over the summer - except trade away their top scoring winger, and replace him with a bunch of PTO candidates and guys that could not find success with much better teams last year.

- many teams around them did get better this season, or at the very least, stayed the same as they did last year, when they were walking all over TOR.

- despite these realities, the Leafs will improve by anywhere from 8-20 spots (depending on who you read) this season.

I don't get it.

Is there that much faith in Babcock - that this team is a bunch of great players, just waiting for the right coach to get the good out of them? Or in the Shanahan/Lamorello GM combo?

I think the Leafs will once again finish in the bottom quarter of the league. If they manage to make the playoffs, Babcock should win coach of the decade.

You guys know I am no fan of the Leafs and am not one to come to the defense of this team, but that last post was a bunch of garbage. #1 Babcock was this seasons most important most sought after free agent signing and you know that.

Now that Boyes is signed, they added Grabner, Hunwich, Parenteau and Arcabello are what came in to replace the offensive stats of 1 player in Kessel, who had an absolutley crap year in Tononto last year. All anyone wants to do is talk about now, is how great Kessel is and how much of a loss it was for Toronto, but to be honest your all just hating on Toronto now, because most of you were all crapping on him last year..
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  07:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They added some decent depth player so the kids can mature in the minors. Structure will be establish and this will be better in the long run, especially for guys like Bernier and Phaneuf. But the offense will dry out on many nights and the wins will be few and far between. They have good management, a decent goalie, good depth, but not much scoring power and the d is week.

They could improve to about 21st or 22nd instead of 27th.

Gardiner and Rielly are not a really good top pairing (they're improving but not experienced at all when it comes to play against Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos and company every night.

They are still a season or two away for making the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  09:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You guys know I am no fan of the Leafs and am not one to come to the defense of this team, but that last post was a bunch of garbage. #1 Babcock was this seasons most important most sought after free agent signing and you know that.

Babcock doesn't score goals, doesn't play defense, and doesn't stop pucks from going in the net. He has a great reputation, but at this point, his effect on the Leafs is absolutely unknown. He is coming in to coach a bunch of guys that other "great" coaches have tried and failed with over the past 3 years. He may succeed and push the Leafs higher in the standings. He may fail where others have failed before him.

quote:

Now that Boyes is signed, they added Grabner, Hunwich, Parenteau and Arcabello are what came in to replace the offensive stats of 1 player in Kessel, who had an absolutley crap year in Tononto last year. All anyone wants to do is talk about now, is how great Kessel is and how much of a loss it was for Toronto, but to be honest your all just hating on Toronto now, because most of you were all crapping on him last year..

Love or hate Kessel, no one can deny that he was a legitimate scoring threat and one of the top snipers in the league - even in a "crap" year on a team that had given up down the stretch, he managed to pot 25 goals and had over 60 points. There is no reason to think that he could not have rebounded to become that 35g/ppg player he was the previous 2 years, and I have no doubt that he'll see at least that playing with a much more talented supporting cast in PIT.

35g from a perpetually dangerous offensive threat is a lot to replace, and a lot to ask for from the likes of Boyes and Grabner. Where is the scoring going to come from this year in TOR?

I am not going out of my way to hate on TOR. I just don't see that they made any notice-able improvements to the on-ice product, that would warrant a significant jump in the eastern conference. Meanwhile, other teams around them are already better, or became better in the offseason.

I'll ask a different question: Which teams in the east do you think are worse than TOR, and will finish lower than them this year? In order to make the playoffs, TOR has to have 8 teams finish below them. Who are these teams?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  15:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Babcock doesn't score goals, doesn't play defense, and doesn't stop pucks from going in the net. He has a great reputation, but at this point, his effect on the Leafs is absolutely unknown. He is coming in to coach a bunch of guys that other "great" coaches have tried and failed with over the past 3 years. He may succeed and push the Leafs higher in the standings. He may fail where others have failed before him.

quote:

Love or hate Kessel, no one can deny that he was a legitimate scoring threat and one of the top snipers in the league - even in a "crap" year on a team that had given up down the stretch, he managed to pot 25 goals and had over 60 points. There is no reason to think that he could not have rebounded to become that 35g/ppg player he was the previous 2 years, and I have no doubt that he'll see at least that playing with a much more talented supporting cast in PIT.

35g from a perpetually dangerous offensive threat is a lot to replace, and a lot to ask for from the likes of Boyes and Grabner. Where is the scoring going to come from this year in TOR?

I am not going out of my way to hate on TOR. I just don't see that they made any notice-able improvements to the on-ice product, that would warrant a significant jump in the eastern conference. Meanwhile, other teams around them are already better, or became better in the offseason.

I'll ask a different question: Which teams in the east do you think are worse than TOR, and will finish lower than them this year? In order to make the playoffs, TOR has to have 8 teams finish below them. Who are these teams?

There are a lot of questions there. I do believe Boyes, Parenteau and Grabner have the ability to replace Kessels stats. I don't think there are as many teams, as you suggest that have made significant changes or improvement. I would suggest Toronto is as good as Boston, Florida, Philly, New Jersey, Carolina and Buffalo with the changes they have made. They might not beat them all but have as good a chance as any of those teams.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  16:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuxfan, its not about compiling a list of teams who are worst than the leafs or selecting teams who are better than the leafs. Its about having a guy like Babcock putting an on ice package together who will faithfully follow his system and work their butts off night in and night out. HOPEFULLY the leafs will finally have true structure and have an identity has an hockey team. A team that respects each other and try their hardest each and every night. There will be no more ( kessel type ) floaters on this team moving forward in the future under Babcock, thats for sure. Leaf players continuously ( kessel ) leaving practice early, no defensive responsibility ( kessel ), floating to the bench on line changes giving the opposition odd man rushes ( kessel ), being in sub-par condition ( kessel ), letting your bad habits reflect on your team-mates ( kessel ), etc...etc...etc...All this crap stops now.
i used to like kessel, i really did, i defended him for several years. I came to realize later that his cancerous behaviour trickled throughout the leafs line-up causing a ripple effect on every1 around him, im glad he is gone.
Babcock i think is the type of person who demands excellence and is capable of bringing the utmost out of each and every player in his line-up.
I remember how disappointed everyone was in our area in Dan Cleary, ( he grew up about 5 miles from me ). He entered the NHL with an enormous ego and a dam poor attitude. All that hockey sense with his career just about done, he met Babcock. Boy did he turn Cleary around. Although the leafs don't boast many star studded players, they do have many very good players. I bet every leaf player will be better this season than they were this past season under Babcock.
Look at the Red Wings last season, Zetterburg was playing hurt, Datsyuk missed about 20 games and hurting half of the season, no more Lidstrom on the blue line, average goal-tending,..their leading scorer boasted a mere 66 points, but Babcock somehow guided them into the playoffs.
I think he is a special coach who will teach the leafs how to play hockey and get the best out of every player, hopefully push for a playoff spot.
Anyway , time will tell i guess.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  16:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA
There are a lot of questions there. I do believe Boyes, Parenteau and Grabner have the ability to replace Kessels stats. I don't think there are as many teams, as you suggest that have made significant changes or improvement. I would suggest Toronto is as good as Boston, Florida, Philly, New Jersey, Carolina and Buffalo with the changes they have made. They might not beat them all but have as good a chance as any of those teams.

Yep, all kinds of questions. It seems like all kinds of stars have to align in a lot of different areas for the Leafs to have an appreciable performance gain this year. I like to believe that some of those stars may align but some will not, so predicting an outcome based on everything working out is probably not realistic.

I initially said that they'll finish in the bottom quarter of the league this year, which means as high as 22nd. If they beat all the teams you mention above, that would put them in 9th in the conference, and would probably be good for close to 20th overall. Despite our radically different views on this team, I don't think our predictions are that far apart.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  11:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Nuxfan, its not about compiling a list of teams who are worst than the leafs or selecting teams who are better than the leafs. Its about having a guy like Babcock putting an on ice package together who will faithfully follow his system and work their butts off night in and night out. HOPEFULLY the leafs will finally have true structure and have an identity has an hockey team. A team that respects each other and try their hardest each and every night. There will be no more ( kessel type ) floaters on this team moving forward in the future under Babcock, thats for sure. Leaf players continuously ( kessel ) leaving practice early, no defensive responsibility ( kessel ), floating to the bench on line changes giving the opposition odd man rushes ( kessel ), being in sub-par condition ( kessel ), letting your bad habits reflect on your team-mates ( kessel ), etc...etc...etc...All this crap stops now.
i used to like kessel, i really did, i defended him for several years. I came to realize later that his cancerous behaviour trickled throughout the leafs line-up causing a ripple effect on every1 around him, im glad he is gone.
Babcock i think is the type of person who demands excellence and is capable of bringing the utmost out of each and every player in his line-up.
I remember how disappointed everyone was in our area in Dan Cleary, ( he grew up about 5 miles from me ). He entered the NHL with an enormous ego and a dam poor attitude. All that hockey sense with his career just about done, he met Babcock. Boy did he turn Cleary around. Although the leafs don't boast many star studded players, they do have many very good players. I bet every leaf player will be better this season than they were this past season under Babcock.
Look at the Red Wings last season, Zetterburg was playing hurt, Datsyuk missed about 20 games and hurting half of the season, no more Lidstrom on the blue line, average goal-tending,..their leading scorer boasted a mere 66 points, but Babcock somehow guided them into the playoffs.
I think he is a special coach who will teach the leafs how to play hockey and get the best out of every player, hopefully push for a playoff spot.
Anyway , time will tell i guess.

I agree with most of what you said here. No more floaters in Toronto, hustle to and from the bench, guys who would be happy to put 50% effort, will be benched more than guys who put in the effort. Babcock is good at getting peak of talent from average players and I 100% agree that Detroit less Babcock is going to struggle, as they are not Detroit from a decade ago, especially now that the stars have aged or retired.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  10:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Topic!

I voted "middle of the pack", but it's actually a bit below that, 10th or 11th in the Eastern Conference, that's where I think they'll end up.

They will have some craptastic games early; and they won't start with a bang - like they did last year, BTW. It'll be a reversal of trend, as I see them learning a system very slowly and getting slowly better. They will suck at first, with a few nice games; then they will slowly become very competitive. Competetive, not great.

I predict at least two current "flawed core" players traded before the deadline, probably one before Christmas (guessing Bozak, but it could be one or both of Lupul or Phaneuf as well).

Reasons?
1 - goaltending
2 - Reilly/Gardiner with strong seasons
3 - Kadri plays well

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  10:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

To be honest, there are quite a few more new names on the roster or potential roster, but I don't think you are fully appreciating Babcock and the stability in the Management office here. You could run the same roster as last year with those changes and I would guarantee a few more points. No chance Babcok would have let that lackluster post xmas run go without cracking a few heads.

But just for fun lets go over the changes.

Mark Arcebello undersized but gifted offensively. Expect him to have a decent season.

PA Parenteau, no idea why Montreal let this guy go, decent player
good for 40 points

Curtis Glencross PTO, guarantee to make the team if someone else doesn't sign him first. Good for 50+ points

Brad Boyes PTO, if they sign him, very capable of a 20-25 goal output and 50 point season

Matt Hunwick, should be a good top 4 pairing, decent defensively.

Plus Eric Brewer PTO, if he signs he is a decent top 6 defenseman

Word is TO is gonna pair Reilly with Gardiner on the top pairing. This will bring down Phaneufs TOI which in itself should help his game andhelp the team overall.

Kessel gone means Bozak is not the default #! centerman, which may mean its Kadri's time to shine.

All in all there have been a lot of changes and I actually don't expect this team to finish 25-30. The have the pieces to be a 20-15 team, maybe better.

Agree with Babcock thing . . . he's stability and accountability gold. I've been incredibly impressed with him thus far, and obviously it's early.

Comments on your other comments:
- so far Arcobello has been a supreme disappointment in preseason. He may not be a player who sticks actually.

- I would have agreed with before preseason on Glencross, but he's been released. And, rightfully so, he didn't have it.

- Boyes has been our best camp invitee - maybe 25 goals is pushing it, but he looks like he could supply 40, 45 points if he sticks after the trade deadline. That's a big IF.

- Hunwick looks like he'll be paired with Phaneuf . . . lots of Leaf fans divided on him, but he's been solid enough. If he keeps it simple, he'll be ok there.

- Brewer . . . no. He's done.

- Reilly and Gardiner look to be the starting first pairing. They've been very solid so far, minus last night's performance from Reilly. I think they'll be awesome together, myself, but opinions vary.

- Bozak was last night's worst player by far, and he has sucked so far this preseason - no goals from him or JVR yet minus Kessel. It's going to become a sore until Bozak is moved, I feel, which is why I think he's traded sooner rather than later. JVR will stay however, and he should be good for 25 goals, I have faith in his abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  09:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see Toronto being any better than the bottom 6 teams, maybe even bottom 3. Regardless of how bad Kessel was last year, they've not done anything that screams improvement to me (aside from getting Kessel's laziness/attitude out of town). If players are suddenly vastly improved just from Kessel's absence, i'll be surprised. Not to say there won't be some who improve, but I don't see anything worthy of a major improvement UNLESS Kadri, Bernier and Van Reimsdyk ALL take HUGE steps up in their games. Then, maybe they'll see some improvement but the playoffs for this season are virtually unattainable.

Bobcock is a huge acquisition obviously but even God can't make PA Parenteau a 20-40-60 player. I'm a little surprised at the optimism from some commenters here as to how good some of these guys on PTO's could be?

Lastly, I hope Phaneuf retires. I know it won't happen soon enough but I just would like to see Duke's pain relieved! Duke, keep your fingers crossed, maybe someone will actually want him and make a play for him? Never say never, you know, they did get rid of Clarkson!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  22:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I can't see Toronto being any better than the bottom 6 teams, maybe even bottom 3. Regardless of how bad Kessel was last year, they've not done anything that screams improvement to me (aside from getting Kessel's laziness/attitude out of town). If players are suddenly vastly improved just from Kessel's absence, i'll be surprised. Not to say there won't be some who improve, but I don't see anything worthy of a major improvement UNLESS Kadri, Bernier and Van Reimsdyk ALL take HUGE steps up in their games. Then, maybe they'll see some improvement but the playoffs for this season are virtually unattainable.

Bobcock is a huge acquisition obviously but even God can't make PA Parenteau a 20-40-60 player. I'm a little surprised at the optimism from some commenters here as to how good some of these guys on PTO's could be?

Lastly, I hope Phaneuf retires. I know it won't happen soon enough but I just would like to see Duke's pain relieved! Duke, keep your fingers crossed, maybe someone will actually want him and make a play for him? Never say never, you know, they did get rid of Clarkson!

First off, Babcock is a huge acquisition.
And there will be more changes to come . . . but getting Kessel out of there was so important for attitude and work ethic . . . everything.

Goaltending is a strength of this team. The D isn't that bad, if Rielly and Gardiner continue to progress. Yes, the forwards are thin on talent . . . but it looks like a solid 3rd and 4th line, a team that'll catch you napping at the wrong time.

They'll be competitive with Babcock at the helm.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  07:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching the leafs first 2 games it's become apparent that scoring is certainly going to be a problem, as if no one didn't already know that #128526;
I understand about not rushing young players in but I do believe they should insert 1 young gun into the roster now... Namely, William Nylander.
Give him a shot at 2nd line Center and see what he does. What harm can 1 young guy do ? Will it set him back ? I don't thing so, just give him experience I believe
Put some youthful spark into the lineup
Kadri is not and will NEVER be a first line Center. Anyone who thinks so is dreaming
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  09:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Watching the leafs first 2 games it's become apparent that scoring is certainly going to be a problem, as if no one didn't already know that #128526;
I understand about not rushing young players in but I do believe they should insert 1 young gun into the roster now... Namely, William Nylander.
Give him a shot at 2nd line Center and see what he does. What harm can 1 young guy do ? Will it set him back ? I don't thing so, just give him experience I believe
Kadri is not and will NEVER be a first line Center. Anyone who thinks so is dreaming

Duke, understand your frustration but this sort of thinking is the kind of impatience that has burned the Leafs for YEARS! Nylander is only 19 years old. He hasn't even played a full season of North American style pro-hockey yet. There's no point rushing him, or any other player down in the Marlies that Babcock and company have deemed not quite ready for the NHL yet. Have patience fellow Leafer.....have patience. it's gonna be a long ride.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  13:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Using this same 2 game logic, I see Pittsburgh even worse at scoring than Toronto, and they will be the worst team in the league.

Oh, wait . .. it was just the first two games. Pffffft.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  08:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo I think the leafs scoring woes go back further than 2 games. You watch any of the last 25-30 games last season ? Even though I'm glad kessel is gone , he was the best play-maker the leafs had.
I'm not just basing my comments on 2 games , that's ridiculous.
This team the leafs have on the ice now( aside from Reilly ) doesn't have any highly skilled players . Just a bunch of average joes .
No, I don't believe in the Oilers model, ( throw all youth on the ice ) but it would be nice to have SOMEONE on the ice to interest me again in watching the leafs.
KADRI ... I'm so sick and tired of listening to leaf management about Kadri, give it up please, the guy is a wash , what he is he is... He will never be any better than what he is, he has already peaked..... IM NOT bashing him, he is a pretty descent player but I'm so sick of leaf management trying to tell fans that he is a 1st line Center in waiting... Ain't gonna happen, so sorry.
I'd just like to see someone like Nylander on the ice fellow leafers, someone to give leaf fans a reason to tune in again Saturday nights.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  19:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't look good right now. Goals for and against is dreadful to kick off the season.

And according to ESPN, for the second straight year, the Leafs are ranked as the worst sports franchise in North America. That's 122nd out of 122 franchises
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  19:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and I voted Other and figure mid-bottom, 24th or so.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  05:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know how ESPN does their rankings
ESPN also just named the leafs for having the 2nd best prospect pool in the entire NHL ...
SO... How can a team like the NJ Devils for instance possibly be ranked ahead of the leafs with the leafs having such an apparent deep prospect pool ??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page