Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 who didn't see this coming Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  20:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not exactly a news flash as the Penguins have changed Mikes, firing Johnston and promoting Sullivan from the AHL Wilkes-Barre Penguins.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/penguins-fire-mike-johnston--name-mike-sullivan-new-head-coach-171001832.html

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  03:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at least the players don't have to learn a new first name...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  10:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, something had to change, that was for sure. I'm not sure what's going on there, but the biggest surprise for me has been Phil Kessel's performance thus far. Yeah, Crosby's been putting up numbers well below his average, but Kessel's still shock me the most.

I'm not the slightest bit a fan of his, but have always been willing to concede that the guy is talented. Sure, he may be one dimensional, lazy, etc, but he could always score and put up points. His move to Pittsburgh had people everywhere screaming 50 GOALS!!! Heck, playing with Crosby and / or Malkin should have pretty much guaranteed that! He's currently got 9 goals and 8 assists (17pts) in 28 games! That puts him on a 26 goal / sub 50 point pace!!! CRAZY! I'm sure even those who weren't high on him having a career year wouldn't have thought he'd be this bad???

With the coach now gone in Pittsburgh, maybe we see a change in the team? I'm not even sure what is the problem there as I don't really see them play a ton but there's obviously something wrong there!
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I am sure you remember what happened the last time they changed coaches during a dismal season.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  12:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Well, something had to change, that was for sure. I'm not sure what's going on there, but the biggest surprise for me has been Phil Kessel's performance thus far. Yeah, Crosby's been putting up numbers well below his average, but Kessel's still shock me the most.

I'm not the slightest bit a fan of his, but have always been willing to concede that the guy is talented. Sure, he may be one dimensional, lazy, etc, but he could always score and put up points. His move to Pittsburgh had people everywhere screaming 50 GOALS!!! Heck, playing with Crosby and / or Malkin should have pretty much guaranteed that! He's currently got 9 goals and 8 assists (17pts) in 28 games! That puts him on a 26 goal / sub 50 point pace!!! CRAZY! I'm sure even those who weren't high on him having a career year wouldn't have thought he'd be this bad???

With the coach now gone in Pittsburgh, maybe we see a change in the team? I'm not even sure what is the problem there as I don't really see them play a ton but there's obviously something wrong there!

I am one of those who has posted in the past, maybe even before the trade that Kessel Crosby would be awesome and mean a goal total of 50+ potential for Kessel. I know its early in the season, but not only don't Kessel and Crosby mix, but to be this far off there career averages, I didn't see coming. Either something is really wrong with Crosby or that pairing just doesn't work.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  13:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to pump the tires of one of the players on my own team here ;) but Karlsson almost has as many points as both Crosby and Kessel!
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2015 :  09:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kessel was playing LW on the 3rd line at Pens practice this week. call this a lesson, or whatever...but this is one place that he does not belong. trying to send a message to Kessel, in the hopes you'll get more out of him? demoting him to the 3rd line is not the way to do it. he needs to be on the 1st or 2nd line. cut his ice time maybe, but you can't put him in the bottom six. you'll get even less out of him down there.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  11:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Undoubtedly being on the third line will reduce his minutes and therefor production, but he has played on a line with Crosby, on a line with Malkin, and neither went as hoped. Maybe centering the third line would be the spot for him.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  17:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched a sportsnet video talking about Kessel having the same points as Bozak at the 30 game mark. Seemed like one of the 2 was trying to suggest the critics of Bozak might have been a bit harsh, when they played together, because he is pretty much on his career pace away from Kessel, where as Kessel has gone the other way. But the longer the video went on the more it seemed like the defense in Pittsburgh is what is causing all the problems for the Forwards. It was actually more a compliment to Toronto and the defensive depth there was leap and bounds better than Pittsburgh. Don't watch enough games for Pittsburgh, but is it that bad.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  09:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, while the off season saw the arrival of Kessel it also brought the departure of Paul Martin. A wing mate for Crosby has long been desired but they may have done better with some moves at the blue line instead.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  13:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too expected Kessel to have a huge year, and I even took him over J. Benn in a "box pool"! Yikes.

Can't really recall how they did in the preseason? Was there any chemistry there? Or did they not really play together much?

A real surprise for me has been the CBJ line of Saad/Johansen/Foligno. They tore up the preseason like they were with the Oilers of the 80's! Then the regular season came along and suddenly they were garbage??
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  19:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told my friends that kessel would start off the season strong and then tail off dramatically well before xmas , that was my opinion during pre-season.
i based this on the fact that kessel is sooooo lazy that Crosby would get sooooo sick of this after 15 - 20 games.
players who work their ass off like Crosby DO NOT rarely have any use for lazy ass players like kessel, they wear out their welcome real quick .
kessel needs someone to go into the corners, do the work, retreive the puck, take the hits to the face, upper body , legs etc....AND then feed him the puck so he ( kessel ) can get a shot on net and maybe score...THATS HIS GAME.
SO, we,ve got the best player in the world ( crosby ) going into the corner getting creamed shift after shift , doing kessels workload for him, so kessel gets the final glory and Crosby gets the bruises.....lol.....yeah right....im sure that sits just fine with Mr. Crosby.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page