Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Phaneuf to Senators Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  09:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nine player trade! This never happens anymore. The Leafs were finally able to move Phaneuf's big salary. Thoughts on the trade? I don't know much about the others players involved.

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  09:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by just1n

A nine player trade! This never happens anymore. The Leafs were finally able to move Phaneuf's big salary. Thoughts on the trade? I don't know much about the others players involved.

AND, division rivals! Somewhere THE DUKE is partying like it's 1999!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  14:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope he is happy, but something tells me Cowen is gonna be a party crasher. I am stoked about this trade. Ottawa is lacking depth of defenseman and believe it or not Phaneuf likely is Ottawa's 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart now. Greening was an expensive mistake playing in Bingo, but might turn into something 3-4 line for the leafs. The only player in this I hate saying goodbye to is Michalek. But he is oft injured and was eating cap space. That plus a 2nd rounder for the #1 need Ottawa has now on defense, plus some reclamation projects prospects at a $2 million cap saving seems like a win, win for me.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  11:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What. A. Shocker!
I wasn't shocked that Phaneuf was dealt - I half expected it before the deadline, and was certain it was happening by summertime at the latest. But to the Senators?!? With . . . NO SALARY RETAINED?!? And on top of that, to have so many moving pieces involved, and nothing leaks except for a heads up from Mackenzie 20 mins prior?!? That was a massive shock.

I agree with Joshua's take on Phaneuf in Ottawa. He'll be a very solid, steady "pro" presence. He's a very good add now, and will become a risk later, but by getting rid of Michalek and Cowen, I don't think they'll be in cap trouble at all really (with their self-imposed cap ceiling). He'll likely be in sharp decline in a few years, but he provides leadership, toughness, decent D and some additional offence besides the incredible Karlsson. And playing on the pairing BEHIND an offensive wunderkind like that, should do wonders for Phaneuf and the team, as a snowball effect. It'll be interesting to see if it's enough to get in the playoffs . . .

It was great for Toronto as well - he needed to go. Cap reasons, but also, a changing of the old guard from the fiascos that had been allowed to happen in the past (collapses, the no-salute thing, etc.). I think it was amazing, wonderful, even MAGICAL that Lou managed to make it a no retention deal. And we wrested away a good prospect in Lindberg, and a 2nd rounder . . . I think it was a very, very good return with no money retained.

I think it's a current WIN-WIN, but in 3 years, could easily be a loss for Ottawa if Lindberg works out, or even worse, if Cowen is resurrected as a decent defenceman. But I'll call it a saw-off for now.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  12:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that this deal not including any retained salary is a win for the Leafs. Hopefully Phaneuf will have a chance to be the player he actually is rather than being expect to be more than what he is. Still overpaid but that's not his fault.

Short synopsis, the Leafs were able to drop $15 million is salary they had locked up for a very long time in Kessel and Phaneuf and it only cost them 10% of that in salary retention. That is a huge win. I liken it to Jay Feester when he went to Calgary and was able to move almost every one of the 17 NMC contracts he was saddled with. The Leafs can now legitimately start from stratch...again...just like Edmonton has done...like 5 times in 10 years...

Look how quickly I digress. Good move Leafs. It's not every day you can say that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page