Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Rielly & Kadri Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  07:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
today the Leafs announced that they have signed both Morgan Rielly and Nazem Kadri to 6 year extensions. Rielly comes with an annual cap hit of $5M, while Kadri is at $4.5M.

both are also reportedly to have limited no trade clauses.

comments/thoughts on these new contracts?

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  11:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rielly's deal is good. Really good. Lock him in for 6 years at $5 million is a underpayment by at least $500k a year and prob $1 million/season in the last 2-3 years.

Kadri, dollar value, is not a terrible deal either and could prove to be a decent deal over time. What I don't like about the Kadri deal is the no trade clause. Kadri will be a serviceable #2 defensemen for the Leafs during the rebuild but if that team improved in the next 3-5 years, Kadri will either be a castaway for a better #2 or a pushed down the line-up where he will be an expensive 3rd line player. Limiting their ability to move him is likely what the Leafs had to give up to get the money they wanted.

I say this in all honesty, this is the first time since the early 90's the Leafs have smart people running their team. I recall many people talking that Brian Burke was going to save the franchise and look at the moves he made. Compare to the moves being made today, the Leafs horizon is far sunnier now. They just won't get there before my Oilers...

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  13:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from what I read on Twitter (from Darren Dregger), the limited no trade clause on Rielly's contract is only in years 5 & 6. and the clause is that he must submit a list of 10 teams he won't accept a trade to.

assuming it's the same on Kadri's contract, I'd say it's still a good deal for the Leafs. by the time years 5 & 6 roll around there will probably be two more teams in the league, which means the Leafs will have 22 teams in which they can trade Kadri to. I like those odds.

as for Burke, and I won't get off topic too much here, I believed in him right up until he blew a huge opportunity to draft Tavares or Hedman. and that didn't take very long.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  15:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they got an awesome deal on Reilly and a fair deal ( maybe slightly more than fair deal on Kadri ). I had Kadri written off to tell you the truth , that is , before Babcock showed up. He has turned him around and has made him into a much more solid hockey player, a dam good player to be honest. I can see Babcock making Kadri an even much better player over the next couple of seasons . Look at what he did with him during the second half of the season, be honest , kadri was crap in the first half until Babcock got into his head.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  10:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing deals for both. I'm in awe of Lou Lamoriello . . . he's a wizard.

The only surprising thing was, for Leafs fans at least, the length of the Kadri deal. It really seems to be that management truly does believe in this kid . . . who's not really a kid anymore, heck, he's a veteran on this team.

But I'm cool with that length. His contract is very good, and is amenable to getting dumped for decent assets if he is underperforming.

I just don't know about him switching to defence, never mind becoming the #2 defence man ahead of Gardiner, as Beans mentioned

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  16:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I just don't know about him switching to defence, never mind becoming the #2 defence man ahead of Gardiner, as Beans mentioned

Lol, I knew someone would pick up on that!

I agree, these are both good deals, though I've always liked Kadri more than most. Been trying to pick him up in one of my keeper pools for awhile now but the owner won't budge (and he's not even a Leaf fan!).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page