Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 McDavid-Puljujarvi linemates? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  06:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious to know what's the word in Edmonton with regards to Puljujarvi and where he fits in their line up? In other words will he or will he not play alongside McDavid?

Last year Eberle and McDavid seemed to generate a lot of chemistry together, so it makes sense I suppose to start the two of them together on the same line. But I can't help but think it's only a matter of time before Puljujarvi makes that leap.

I've heard a lot of talk about the top Calder trophy candidates this year, but for some reason Puljujarvi isn't mentioned much in the conversation. and I don't understand how he can be so easily overlooked when the potential to team up with McDavid is so blatantly obvious! Am I missing something here?

I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts, particularly yours Beans. I'm leaning towards taking him as my rookie, over guys like Matthews, Laine, etc...

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  16:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McDavid will play mostly with Eberle and Lucic. The second line will be Nuge with Pouliot and likely Drasital playing the wing. Puljujarvi will likely play 3rd line with Maroon and Cagullia or maybe Letetsu?? The third and fourth lines will likely be mix and match.

Puljujarvi has been very hot and cold in pre-season regardless of who he played with, including McDavid. The team is really trying to get Lucic and McDavid to click but Lucic looks slow. Eberle also looks slow. Really, Anyone would look slow beside McDavid. To repeat the words of his head coach, Puljujarvi has a lot to learn about the NHL game. I don't think he stays with the club for the season. I think the first forward back from injury is going to send him down to the AHL and he will stay there for the year. Frankly, that where he should be. If he's not going to play top 6 minutes in the NHL, he should be honing his craft in the AHL. There is no point in burning a year of his entry level deal to see him play less than 10 minutes a game.

He won't win the Calder, he won't play with McJesus, and he won't likely be in the NHL this season for more than 8 games.

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  10:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, thanks for that Beans. I thought for sure he'd be a lock for the NHL and a top 6 man. didn't realize he was having so much trouble adapting.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  12:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Oilers don't have such an easy top 6 to crack anymore. 2 years ago he would have been a lock. Today, With McDavid, Lucic, Eberle, Nuge, Draisital, and Pouliot, it's tough. Think they dropped Hall and Yakupov as well. Puljujarvi will be a good player. I think a year in the AHL and him coming up next year to take Pouliot's spot makes the most sense.

But the kid did have a PP goal last night, maybe I am completed wrong too.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  00:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McDavid's speed is sick. That breakaway he got the other night would have been a one on one for most NHLers!

So far, Puljujarvi has seen most of his time on a line with Draisaitl. This is per leftwinglock. I think his next 6 games will really tell the story. As far as a pool goes, no way I touch him over Laine or Matthews. His floor is just too low compared to those two guys' ceilings as far as points go. Too risky as you could leave 60+ points on the table if in fact he is sent down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page