Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Most improved team in the offseason Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  09:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I thought I was pose a question to help drive up the traffic and conversation here. Which team did the most to improve in the offseason?

Choices:

Toronto
Buffalo
New Jersey
New York
Florida
Tampa
Calgary
Edmonton
Anaheim
Philly
Winnipeg
Montreal
Nashville
Dallas
Other

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  09:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Tampa, being that they got closure on Stamkos signing, Drouin resinding his trade request, Hedman signing, Kucharov signing, etc etc etc and all they have to worry about going into this season is winning, then what to do with the goaltending situation and a few RFA's in the next offseason. Winning by no subtraction is a huge plus for a team poised to challenge for the cup and the majority of the roster lock in long term.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  16:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
joshua, no offense but every Tampa player you listed was with the team last season. To me an improvement is bringing in new faces who will improve your team while ridding yourself of some baggage.
Of course you aware im a leafs fan. lol
Adding Matthews , Marner , Nylander , Hyman , Brown , Zadislev , and F.Andersson to the lineup full time is a major improvement for the leafs.
and....ridding themselves of players with no upside is a big bonus.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  16:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I`d vote 1) leafs 2) oilers 3 ) montreal
bet neither of these teams will be in the bottom 5 this season.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  10:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well , well , well
the jets with 7 votes. certainly deserved.
after watching last nights game , i must say...Mark . S , Laine , and Ellers.....what a young group of players. These guys are for real.
Give them a Goalie and theyre set.
along with a great return for trouba......hey jet fans , if he doesnt want to play there , shag him , let him move on. Just get a great return IF NOT , let the spoiled little brat sit with no pay.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  14:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

joshua, no offense but every Tampa player you listed was with the team last season. To me an improvement is bringing in new faces who will improve your team while ridding yourself of some baggage.
Of course you aware im a leafs fan. lol
Adding Matthews , Marner , Nylander , Hyman , Brown , Zadislev , and F.Andersson to the lineup full time is a major improvement for the leafs.
and....ridding themselves of players with no upside is a big bonus.

But were they really, Duke!

They were pressed to the cap and on the verge of losing all of Drouin, Stamkos and Bishop, with tonnes of signings to complete in the offseason. Stamkos missed a lot of last season and all but 1 game in the post season. Now with the certainty of Stamkos long term, Hedman long term, Kucherov for the next 3, Kilhorn for the next 7, Namestinikov for the next 2, Vasilevsky for the next 4. All that and they have something no one thought possible going into the offseason. They have cap space to spare and are not forced to deal Bishop. With the certainty this team has moving forward, I call this a win.

I will give you, early in the season it is hard to vote against Edmonton, but in the case of Toronto, they are riding a 1-1-3 record and some pretty crappy defense/goaltending. I see your improved prospect pool and counter the rest of the team is crappier than last year. Let me qualify that statement for a second here. The Forward core is not as deep, the defense doesnt look as solid, the goaltending actually looks worse on the ice from last year and they are as pressed to the cap as the Bolts with a roster thats one of the favorites to challenge for the cup.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 10/24/2016 14:29:42
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  19:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forward core is not as deep ? Cant understand that statement . Last season they didnt have a forward core , they were all crap.Its only the youngsters thats giving them a forward core this season.
The leafs are only pressed to the cap THIS season because they took back crappy contracts in order to obtain draft picks. Some of these will go off the books in the near future. All part of the long term plan.
Torontos defense consists of Reilly and Zatislev...Dermott will make 3 ....this will soon change, i got a feeling. The laefs have tons of forward youth and vets ( kadri / JVR / Bozak ) to lure in some D-men . Surely a desperate need.
Goaltending ::(( hope Andersen comes around.
Dont worry about the leafs , next season they will be a force, year after that , look out.........Ive watched all their games so far, even with crap defense and crappier goaltending they could still easily have had 4 or 5 wins so far, no problem. All about the future
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  09:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The forward core is not as deep ? Cant understand that statement . Last season they didnt have a forward core , they were all crap.Its only the youngsters thats giving them a forward core this season.
The leafs are only pressed to the cap THIS season because they took back crappy contracts in order to obtain draft picks. Some of these will go off the books in the near future. All part of the long term plan.
Torontos defense consists of Reilly and Zatislev...Dermott will make 3 ....this will soon change, i got a feeling. The laefs have tons of forward youth and vets ( kadri / JVR / Bozak ) to lure in some D-men . Surely a desperate need.
Goaltending ::(( hope Andersen comes around.
Dont worry about the leafs , next season they will be a force, year after that , look out.........Ive watched all their games so far, even with crap defense and crappier goaltending they could still easily have had 4 or 5 wins so far, no problem. All about the future

See I look at Toronto's forward core which largerly relies on Marner and Matthews. Outside of those 2, there is no real good veteran on the team to properly steward the young guns into the league like Roberts and Lemieux did for Sid and Malkin.

Missing from last year are Boyes, who left for Florida and was woefully miscast last year and would have been a good steward for the young players, PA Parenteau, who was one of the better scoring players for Toronto last year, now playing for New Jersey, Grabner who had a poor year last year, but is playing well for the Rangers. Add to the fact the other veterans who the young players would have benefited from learning from, have been waived or dropped to the AHL, like Michalek, Laich, Greening eating up huge amounts of cap space, but not contributing in the NHL and the remainder of the forward core doesn't look good. Kadri, JVR, Bozak and Komarov being the veterans on the team, but I find them to be highly overated and to this point underperforming. The last thing I would want is Kadri being the guy to perform the Roberts/Lemieux roles to my hopeful future cornerstones of the franchise.

Your right there were a few games just out of reach, so far this season, in there poor record. Had the rest of the team showed up in game 1, outside of Matthews and Marner, that game could have been won, even though Matthews and Marner were on for a good portion of the goals against, which as rookies with no real NHL experience is normal and going to happen a lot. They have already lost 3 -1 goal games out of 5 with 1 more lost in the SO, because the forward core isn't strong enough behind Matthews/Marner and the defense/goaltending has been crappy at best.

They are going to miss the remainder of the veterans forwards that have either been traded or waived real soon if there record keeps its pace.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 10/25/2016 09:53:22
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree with you 100 % joshua on the leafs veteran forwards........theyre crap.
before Xmas the young guns will be leading them , theyre so bad lol
until the leafs smartin up and bring in 2 or 3 dam good veteran Defenseman .....the circus will continue in Toronto.
The leafs brass ARENT doing reilly / gardiner / zatislev any favors by having guys like polak, marincin etc...in the lineup. theyre killing their young future D - men right now....dismantling their confidience game by game
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  14:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

agree with you 100 % joshua on the leafs veteran forwards........theyre crap.
before Xmas the young guns will be leading them , theyre so bad lol
until the leafs smartin up and bring in 2 or 3 dam good veteran Defenseman .....the circus will continue in Toronto.
The leafs brass ARENT doing reilly / gardiner / zatislev any favors by having guys like polak, marincin etc...in the lineup. theyre killing their young future D - men right now....dismantling their confidience game by game

Dont get me wrong by saying this, but a guy like Kessel and a guy like Phaneuf would do wonders for this team. Just saying. Take the pressure off the youngsters, add to the offense and give the press something to aim at, plus the veteran presence would be invaluable.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  12:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh, sorry but you're way off with that comment. just how exactly do you think Kessel and Phaneuf could help this team? if you ask me the Leafs offence needs no additional help at all. they're currently 5th in their conference in goals scored, and 7th in the league overall. besides that, Phaneuf is having a TERRIBLE season in Ottawa. with only 4 pts and a minus 8. that's comparable to Martin Marincin!!

so I must ask again, what for? simply because of a veteran presence? their "veteran presence" is what got them traded in the first place. Kessel specifically! the whole "salute gate" thing was his idea, and his lazy last one on-first one off attitude in practice was starting to rub off on Bozak. he was a cancer in that dressing room.

bringing these guys back would be a step backwards in their re-building process. the complete wrong move.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  16:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thumbs up gipper...so true
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  11:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

Josh, sorry but you're way off with that comment. just how exactly do you think Kessel and Phaneuf could help this team? if you ask me the Leafs offence needs no additional help at all. they're currently 5th in their conference in goals scored, and 7th in the league overall. besides that, Phaneuf is having a TERRIBLE season in Ottawa. with only 4 pts and a minus 8. that's comparable to Martin Marincin!!

so I must ask again, what for? simply because of a veteran presence? their "veteran presence" is what got them traded in the first place. Kessel specifically! the whole "salute gate" thing was his idea, and his lazy last one on-first one off attitude in practice was starting to rub off on Bozak. he was a cancer in that dressing room.

bringing these guys back would be a step backwards in their re-building process. the complete wrong move.

Might be nice for him to drop in and show them his new shiny ring though. Pittsburgh sure didn't mind his work ethic. And speaking of work ethic, thats pretty much Phaneuf in a nutshell, mind you he still skates pretty badly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page