Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Whos is everyones pick for the Norris this year Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  10:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I expect this to be lopsided based on the press received to one player in particular, but I have found it is starting to even out on the coverage. 4 Defenseman have emerged in the race and all 4 have Norris credentials. Who's your favorite for it and why in the comments.

Choices:

Burns
Karlsson
Hedman
Keith
Other - with why in the comments

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 03/08/2017 10:07:52

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  10:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not surprising for me I am going to choose Karlsson, because I think he got robbed last year and I expect my choice to be against the grain here on this poll. My reasons for choosing him are simple.

Effect on special teams, leading the league on assist for a defenseman and 2nd for all players period. His point percentage for PP points is tops, even better than Burns, who arguably has more goals 5/5 goals and PP goals. Karlsson leads in PK TOI and has a better takeaway to giveaway ratio. If you look at Burns, his giveaways are almost 1 and a half times higher. He is right up there in blocked shots with the league leaders, which is new for his game, same with his PK TOI.

Basically he has been asked by his coach to round out his game more and he has delivered. Here is the kicker for me, Karlsson is a late season performer, always has been. His first half of the season, Burns had a huge lead in points, which was as high as 12 point lead in the same games played as Karlsson maybe a week ago, but now that gap has closed to 9 points with Karlsson playing 1 less game. Not only that but Karlsson is 1 starring many of his games recently almost like he is determined to erase last seasons theft of the lost Norris for what was an epic season not seen in 25 years.

Thats my arguement for and I expect people will argue against it.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 03/08/2017 10:18:11
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  18:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burns' all around game is pretty solid:

1st in points
1st in goals
2nd in assists
T6th in +/-
T1st in GWG
T2nd in OTG
11th in minutes
5th in take aways
1st in shots

But so is Karlsson's and right now he has Burns beat on assists, blocked shots, ice time, and take aways.

This is a really tough call. Burns is clearly having a top notch season and has a significant point lead. But you're right Karlsson did get robbed last year. And based on the standings he is arguably more important to his team. Still lots of hockey left in the season and a lot could change. A hot streak by Hedman to solidify the Lightning in a playoff spot could vault him up in the voting by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  16:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YEP , ONE OR THE OTHER LEIGH
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  15:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik has now closed the gap in points to 3 apart with 70 to Burns 73 and they both hold the identical points per game at 0.92ppg. If Karlsson is ahead in the defensive stats, Special team stats and TOI, Burns ahead in the overall points, goals and Power Play goals, who deserves it? Is it too late for the late season charge in the points by Karlsson to make a difference or has the Norris already been decided.

I should mention that Hedman is making a really strong case for himself. He is only 3 points behind Karlsson and 6 points behind Burns with more power play points than either Burns or Karlsson. As important as he has been to Tampa fighting tooth an nail for a playoff spot right now, he is earning some consideration.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  16:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Until Burns turned in a month of March with just 1 goal and 6 assists in 16 games, I figured it was already engraved with his name! Good thing they didn't, because, and I never thought I'd be saying this a month ago, I think it's Karlsson's trophy. It shouldn't matter, but his loss last year will get him a ton of the close votes this year is what I'm speculating. These guys are both well deserving, as is Hedman, but we can only have 1 winner. Much like the Calder, there will be at least one or two who lose who in most other years could have easily won.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  19:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally voted for Karlsson in this polll & im sticking with him, I think he deserves it! I still feel like Burns will likely win however.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  07:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

I originally voted for Karlsson in this polll & im sticking with him, I think he deserves it! I still feel like Burns will likely win however.

Not sure I see Burns winning anymore. Not to say I'd be shocked if he did, but it's often a "what have you done for me lately" kind of thing for voters and he's really been unnoticeable this past month plus. Will be a very interesting vote, as will some of the others!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page