Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Scott Stevens; dirty or tough? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  08:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I say both. There is a video here of that famous hit on Eric Lindros and while legal at the time would today get him a 5 minute major and probably 3 game suspension as it was a clear shoulder to the head.https://thehockeywriters.com/devils-scott-stevens-dirty-tough/

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  15:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  22:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt by today’s standards he would be considered dirty. His most famous hits were definitely high and questionably late. However it was a different era and he played within the rules of the day.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  07:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Giving it some further thought forget the 5 minute major - today that hit would get him a game misconduct and 3 game suspension.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  07:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listen to the commentary first - for you young guys out there.
Note that neither one says "dirty" or anything to suggest it's not a legal hit . . .

Secondly, look at Lindros' head as he's coming into the middle of the zone . . . literally trying to bull his way through three guys, with his head down. It's ridiculous by today's standards . . . it's just so foolish. The context of that is, because Lindros was so used to being the biggest and baddest guy out there (he was a bull in a china shop most of the times), he didn't take his own safety into account - and this is literally how he got every concussion.

And third . . . Stevens does not leave his feet; Lindros is considerably bigger than him, and with his head down, literally skates into the shoulder without pause or misdirection; and Lindros actively has the puck.

This is the kind of hit I will always defend as a clean hit, in those days, AND today. To me, that's a hockey play. I know that today you are right - probably would get suspended, etc for it . . . but to me, that's a hockey play. And as context, I can show you a dozen videos of Lindros SUCCESSFULLY pulling this move, bullying his way through a crowd of grown men with the puck . . . so it's not like anyone can argue it wasn't a warranted play!

Now as to Stevens' other hits . . . many were late, some were high, quite a few dirty ones in there. But that was within that days' standards, and he mostly did those big hits as hockey plays, with a guy skating over the blue line with the puck.

One of my all-time fave d-men to watch growing up.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  07:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looked to me to be clearly a shoulder directed to the head; Stevens clearly raised his shoulder above normal level and went for the head.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page