Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 All-Star weekend musings Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  07:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we just had the All-Star weekend and I must say that I was somewhat disappointed with the way the skills competition was carried out.

Some ups and downs:
Ups:
- the new "slam dunk" event
- the play of Alfie in the game - was very good
- Crosby wasn't there (otherwise they would have called it the Crosby-Weekend)

Downs:
- they just should have removed the goalies from the slam-dunk competition altogether (St.Louis should not have to worry about a goalie poke-checking him as he is trying to do a move for the fans)
- the releagh (sp?) skills was just useless and a waste of time. Even I can saucer-pass a puck over a 1 foot obstacle and then go deke around some pucks! It was just too childish...
- what was up with the speed-skating competition? Did you have to come in second place to win the race or something? I was just confused! And players should not be able to win by extending their sticks over the line. They should just get rid of the sticks so that the players have to actually win by skating over the line!
- Pronger The Douche trying to be funny by slipping and falling in front of the camera. That wasn't comical. That was just lame...
- Nash not winning the MVP - his goals were what the all-star game is supposed to be about!

Let me know what you guys thought....

Edited by - SuperSakic on 01/28/2008 07:55:47

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  11:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made the mistake of turning on the television as the . . . "slam dunk" was going on. Holy crap was that awful . . . my stomach turned as the players were forced into this masquerade. More points were given for "great moves" which produced no goal, than for the actual scoring of a goal. Ridiculous!

Even getting idiots from basketball and whatnot to comment on the proceedings, it all seemed so forced . . . what a bulls*** event. I think it shames hockey, and what hockey stands for when compared to the other major sports. Leave the showboating and fake crap to baseball and basketball . . . leave hockey alone!

After 5 minutes, I turned off the TV in disgust.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  11:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ups:

The Relay. What ever the first even was called. The one where the guy stick handled, then another guy saucer passed, then the one timer, and then the goalie shooting it. That was the only event that hand any amount of hockey realism to it.

The Rookie Game : That was fun to watch!!

Downs :

Fastest skater. First of all, make sure your clocks work. Secondly, it should be the first foot across the line, not the first stick.

The All Star Game : BORING!!! I barely made it through the 1st period. Not fun to watch.

NHL's Pathetic Marketing : No part of anything was appealing to anyone but a true hockey fan. And even us Fans thought it was pretty cheesy! The NHL is in big trouble marketing wise. Or was it Atlanta?? Regardless, it was crap.

Undecided:

The Breakaway Challenge : I think it might be a few years before this is good. First, take the goalies out and put in a Shooter Tutor. Then realize that it will take some time for players to get good at this. Think of the slam dunk competition in the NBA. When it first started, a slam from the foul line got 10's, now that's par for the course. It went from the one-hand windmill dunk to a 360, between the legs windmill. It will evolve if the NHL let's it.

All things considered, a normal Saturday night in the NHL is far more exciting and appearling to watch then this "All Star" game.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

redwings85
Top Prospect

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  13:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My main down, was when the fans BOOED!
like really WHO does that at the ALL-STAR game,

the all-star weekend its for s***s and giggles.
Why BOO!
Stupid atlanta fans.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  14:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ups:

Young stars game

Downs:

Obstacle course: Maybe some checking dummies (I've played with those) and better obstacles would make it appealing. Making goalies do Hextall-esque moves is retarded, not much less the saucer pass thing!

Speed - why change the way it was, a whole lap is tons of fun to watch and players can really get going, make you clocks work and don't let one stride decide the race. And skates, not sticks by the way.

Hardest shot: The record is never going to be touched, want to know why? You have about two steps before you shoot. It's kind of dumb.

Breakaway Challenge: Essentially it has all been said.

Overall: No appeal to anyone, barely to hockey fans. Way too many guys out of the lineup. The rule changes (1 person at least per team) amongst others ruined what could have been a salvaged all-star game.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  14:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Leave the showboating and fake crap to baseball and basketball . . . leave hockey alone!

After 5 minutes, I turned off the TV in disgust.

What showboating in baseball? The walking around the diamond after a home run?

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  07:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Alex, to get an idea of American Showboating at its finest, watch the baseball all-star game. Watch the way those peacocks strut around . . . the demeanour of most players suggests that they think they can walk on water! (hockey players skate on water, though) Yes, there are big-headed professional athletes in every sport, including hockey, of course - but I don't think anyone can compete with baseball. Basketball comes a close second, IMO.

This showboating shootout s*** has nothing to do with the game, and I hope that if it comes back next year some of the big stars continue to not bow down to pressure and forget about the parlour tricks.

Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  08:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

This showboating shootout s*** has nothing to do with the game, and I hope that if it comes back next year some of the big stars continue to not bow down to pressure and forget about the parlour tricks.

The parlour tricks are a way for the players to show off what they are CAPABLE of doing. Not what they would actually do in a game situation.
Have you seen that YouTube video of Kovalev doing trick shots on an empty net? Some of that stuff just looked unreal. That is what they should have been presenting to the fans. Maybe they shouldn't have called it the Breakaway Challenge, but rather have made it the Skills Challenge, in which the players display whatever skill they have with a stick and puck. That would be interesting to see.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  08:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and another UP was the ice girls who cleaned up the hats after Nash's hat-trick
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  05:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Supersakic - you hit the nail on the head for me.
"The parlour tricks are a way for the players to show off what they are CAPABLE of doing."

This is EXACTLY why I don't want this "fake skills" competition . . . . a panel of judges basing their scores not on whether the puck goes inthe net, but on how inventive and beautiful the deke manouever is. THESE ARE NOT HOCKEY SKILLS, they are SHOWBOATING SKILLS.

You said it yourself - it's for showing off their skills. How about they show off ACTUAL, REAL SKILLS, demonstrated in a game-style situation? If it's a game and there's a shootout, you want a GOAL - PERIOD. If you want to see real talent, watch Jussi Jokinen score on the breakaway at will - there's your new NHL.

btw, SuperSakic - I love your handle, and respect your opinions. But I just can't stand to see hockey players slide into this american sports paradigm of showboating, individualism, and idol worship. I will fight against it forever, and if Bettman or any other asswipe tries to take away my right to see a hard fought, hard-hitting hockey game, they will have to rip away the hockey stick from my cold, dead hands.

Go to Top of Page

kingwoody2
Top Prospect

72 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  05:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The all star game sucked. All of it.

I still don't understand why they have an all star selection in the MIDDLE OF THE YEAR!!! You can have a great first half and absolutely suck the second half and you are an all star. Doesn't make sense. Football and soccer have it right. Football plays at the end of the year, soccer only picks all stars, no game.

My proposal is the fans get to vote for the all stars after the season is over during the playoffs. Then the all star game is part of the preseason. Scrap the skills competition all together. Just keep the youngstars game.

And if you get picked you have to play the game. Unless you are injured. Make some sort of incentive for it. Bonus money from the league or something....

Go to Top of Page

Guest7699
( )

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  09:17:00  Reply with Quote
For me, the All Star Weekend was pretty much a bust. I admit I am not a big fan of the Game itself (it's not the lack of hitting by the way, it's more the lack of decided effort on the part of the players... although the last few minutes of the game were pretty good when they were trying to break the tie.)

The skills, the intermission game and then the remainder of the skills were just terrible IMO.

First off, the obstacle course was a joke ( I have my high school hockey team practice that drill with a few less pucks and a smaller target for the pass and most do ok.) The goalies shooting for the net at the end was just icing on a terrible cake.

Second, the sprint. It's just too short really. Four and a half seconds of excitement is not enough. At least the lap lasted longer, and you always worried about a guy blowing a tire in the turn. And yeah... Aim the laser higher so it's not the stick that wins the race.

The "showboat" segment was a complete bust. I sat down for that to pay attention and see what they would try and I even convinced my wife to sit with me and I have to say we were not impressed at all. It was boring as heck. Most players in the NHL can in fact do most of the tricks we see players show off with. But it's not in the nature of hockey to showboat too much because, unlike in Basketball, if you show off too much, you're going to get your bell rung and good for being a prick.

Hardest shot and target shots were the same as usual and were my highlights for the night. Kaberle did very very well! Hats off.

As for the comment above about skating in from further out, it really does not make much of a difference. The trick IMO for getting a good slapshot is to find the right spot on the stick to get the optimum flex and weight combo into the puck. Too low, not enough whip. Too high, too much weight is lost. Too far behind the puck and you lose power. Too close to the puck and you don't get enough bend from the stick. It's more like a golf concept than people think. Timing is everything when properly combined with strength and weight. Besides, Al Iafrate had a rather unorthodox method of slapping the puck in which his lower hand slid up the shaft during the shot in order to increase flex and widen the arc. I saw it slowed down in a video once on one of the Sports shows I think.

Lastly, I watched the game on the CBC and I have to say that I did not like the camera work at all. That Ice Level camera was terrible. It did not bring me into the game, it made me lose perspective of how things were being done. I hope they don't adopt that again for anything else.

Anyhow, in case anyone decides to say, "If you hated it so much, why did you watch it?" Well, while I was watching the game, I folded the baskets of laundry that my wife brought to me, I did the cuffs on two pairs of pants (by hand) and I also organized my RRSP and VISA statements for tax time. So... no time wasted at al! :)

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  09:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingwoody2

I still don't understand why they have an all star selection in the MIDDLE OF THE YEAR!!! You can have a great first half and absolutely suck the second half and you are an all star. Doesn't make sense. Football and soccer have it right. Football plays at the end of the year, soccer only picks all stars, no game.

My proposal is the fans get to vote for the all stars after the season is over during the playoffs. Then the all star game is part of the preseason. Scrap the skills competition all together. Just keep the youngstars game.

And if you get picked you have to play the game. Unless you are injured. Make some sort of incentive for it. Bonus money from the league or something....

I'm not sure, but you may be confusing the all star GAME with the all star TEAM.
Playing in the GAME means nothing. The TEAM is picked at the end of the season and has far more significance. There are first and second team all stars.

"Curiosity killed the cat but for awhile, I was the suspect."
-- Steven Wright
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  15:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPS:

Cabbies interviews

Downs:

Everything else.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  04:09:18  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by kingwoody2

I'm not sure, but you may be confusing the all star GAME with the all star TEAM.
Playing in the GAME means nothing. The TEAM is picked at the end of the season and has far more significance. There are first and second team all stars.

"Curiosity killed the cat but for awhile, I was the suspect."
-- Steven Wright

Yeah but the all star game is unfortunately the one that counts. When they talk that this guy was an all star last year they don't refer to the team at the end of the year. The refer to the GAME!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page