Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Colorado
 Joe Sakic Retires! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  20:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's a sad day in the NHL, Joe Sakic has called it a career.

This retirement has a similar feel to it as when Steve Yzerman retired; super classy player, great leader, natural scorer, natural set-up man, played for one team only, long careers, suffered some bad injuries to rob him of his last days in the league. The similarities are remarkable!

Gonna miss seeing him lace it up. Thanks for the memories!

Article: http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=7015721457

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  04:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the memories indeed.
What a skilled and talented player he was, and how great he was whenever he played for Canada. On top of all that, an all-class guy, like you say, lots of similarities to Yzerman in terms of always being the understated diplomat, on and off the ice.

For me, it's sort of an end to an era, with the retirements that started with Yzerman and Forsberg and Naslund, now Sakic, and eventually Sundin, Selanne, Niedermayer, Federov, and Kariya eventually. All solid ambassadors of the game of hockey.

Back in the day, I would have taken Sakic over all of them, even over Yzerman although that's a toss-up. There is a spot getting warmed up for him in the HOF as we speak . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  06:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I just heard that Sakic is retiring. Through all his tough and noligable plays with the puck,his career...it finally comes to an end.So sad .Sakic was one of my top favorite players in the NHL.(Retiring Thursday)

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Edited by - brentrock2 on 07/08/2009 06:11:18
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  07:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"There it is...number 600 for...SUPER JOE!!!!"...one of my favourite calls...

Like Slozo said, we've reached the end of an era, the passing of the torch has begun. Starting with Yzerman and Roy, then Naslund and Forsberg, next, Sundin, Neidermayer, even Lidstrom eventually.

As much as we don't want to see these players go, we look forward to the future. Players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Getzlaf, Luongo and the list goes on...players like that will be covering a 8 year olds wall with posters, hockey cards etc.

I remember when I was growing up, playing ball hockey on the street, we'd always pretend to be Roy or Potvin, or even Sakic. Now, my nephew pretends to be Ovechkin and his friends pretend to be Luongo or Crosby.

Will we see players spend 20 years with one team again? Probably not, especially with contracts and the terms players demand. Crosby will probably leave Pittsburgh, Ovechkin will probably leave Washington etc. On the other hand, who knows, maybe they're lifer's with their respective teams...only time will tell.

Now, we can look forward to the 600 call for "Alex The Great" or the 1000th point for "Sid the Kid".

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford

Edited by - Rambo2305 on 07/08/2009 11:41:58
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  17:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brentrock i'm your brother and you never said anything about Sakic is your favourite player.your lying i'm assuming.But yah its kind of bad for Sakic to have retire,he was like Colorados top players.

PhillyFan12
Philly Rules!!!
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  17:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhillyFan12

Brentrock i'm your brother and you never said anything about Sakic is your favourite player.your lying i'm assuming.But yah its kind of bad for Sakic to have retire,he was like Colorados top players.

PhillyFan12
Philly Rules!!!

Well brother stop getting off topic about what I said. Anyways I don't need to tell you some of my top favorite players because my top five fav players are:

1)Kovalev
2)Ovechkin
3)Visnovsky
4)Tanguay
5)Sakic

Now I just told you my top five favorite players but this is out of discussion so lets get back on topic,will we.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  23:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first favorite player!!!
He made me start playing hockey when i was six years old. What a sad day. Although im sure he had some good hockey in him yet, im glad he called it quits before he ruined his name. And i hope he stays retired, but comes back in some important position somewhere in hockey where he belongs. His last season was unfortunate, but he will be in the hall for sure, first time. One of this last generations greatest players, he will be missed.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9656
( )

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  10:38:10  Reply with Quote
I am saddened. A legend is retiring. Thanks for the memories Super Joe!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  21:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unreal player, possibly the best wrist shot ever in the game. One of the few players nowadays that was on one team for his whole career, owns all kinds of hardware, Hall of Fame lock.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page