- Jay McClement shines as Hurricanes stun Islanders
- Capitals welcome defenseman Tim Gleason after trade deal with Hurricanes
- Seasoned defenseman Kimmo Timonen dealt to Blackhawks
- Corey Perry's late explosion lifts Ducks over Kings
- Maple Leafs ship veteran David Clarkson to Blue Jackets
- Devils trade unsatisfied Jaromir Jagr to Panthers
- Kings shore up for playoffs with addition of defenseman Andrej Sekera
- Penguins boost offensive depth by acquiring Daniel Winnik
- Blackhawks' Patrick Kane out 6-10 weeks due to upper-body injury
- Wild bolster depth with acquisition of Sean Bergenheim from Panthers
- Islanders grant defenseman Nick Leddy seven-year extension
- Knee injury sidelines Bruins center David Krejci for 4-6 weeks
- Senators defenseman Jared Cowen handed three-game ban for interference
- Canucks goalie Ryan Miller collides with teammate, suffers lower-body injury
- Seasoned goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov waived by Ducks
- Michael Del Zotto's late goal lifts Flyers over Capitals
- Center David Krejci not in Bruins lineup against Blackhawks due to injury
- Gaborik nets winning goal as Kings edge Sharks in outdoor game
- Capitals prevail as Holtby clamps down on Isles in shootout
- Jakub Voracek, Wayne Simmonds lift Flyers past Predators in shootout
Jay McClement shines as Hurricanes stun Islanders
Sun, 01 Mar 2015 01:04:10 +0000
Uniondale, NY, United States (4E Sports) - Jay McClement scored twice while Andrej Nestrasil had two assists to carry the Carolina Hurricanes to a 5-3 win over the New York Islanders Saturday at Nassau Coliseum.
Cam Ward made 21 saves while Justin Faulk , Brad Malone and Michal Jordan scored as the Hurricanes (24-30-7) extended their winning streak to three games.
Michael Grabner , Nikolay Kulemin and John Tavares scored while Chad Johnson tallied 36 saves for the Islanders (41-21-2), who played their eighth game in 13 days.
Grabner gave the Islanders a 1-0 lead 11:47 into the game when he took a pass from Ryan Strome and sent a wrist shot from the circle past Ward for his seventh goal of the season.
The Hurricanes tied it 1-1 with 2:19 left in the first period on McClement's fifth goal of the season.
McClement battled Islanders defenseman Brian Strait for the control of the puck, and it went off the former's right skate and rolled past Johnson. The goal was ruled good after a brief video review determined there wasn't a distinct kicking motion.
Faulk put the Hurricanes in front, 2-1, 1:26 into the second period with a power-play goal before McClement made it a 3-1 game with a wrist shot from the right circle.
Kulemin got the Islanders within 3-2 with 4:49 left in the second but Malone restored a two-goal lead at 17:46. Jordan made it 5-2 with 7.8 seconds left in the second on a power-play goal.
Tavares scored his 30th goal of the season with 10:25 remaining. The Islanders captain positioned himself at the right side of the net and quickly put a rebound home after Ward made an initial save on Nick Leddy's slap shot from the point.