- Daniel Winnik, Phil Kessel shine as Maple Leafs rout Blue Jackets
- Daniel Sedin's scoring touch lifts Canucks over Habs in OT
- Jacob Josefson lifts Devils past Jets in shootout
- Blues to face Ducks without David Backes, T.J. Oshie
- Rangers defenseman John Moore suspended 5 games for elbow hit
- Craig Smith scores twice as Predators down Oilers
- Bruins defenseman Torey Krug out 2-3 weeks with broken finger
- Hockey great Gordie Howe shows improvement after suffering stroke
- Hurricanes captain Eric Staal returns in loss against Canucks
- Blue Jays netminder Sergei Bobrovsky fractures finger in practice
- Penguins defender Olli Maatta will undergo surgery to remove tumor
- Kopitar, Foligno banged up as Kings topple 'Jackets
- Scott Darling shines in debut as Blackhawks edge Senators
- Bryan Little's overtime goal lifts Jets over Avs
- Blackhawks' Daniel Carcillo out 2-plus weeks due to knee injury
- Cody Hodgson, Nicolas Deslauriers combine to lift Sabres past Sharks
- Canadiens' Carey Price to face Rangers for first time since East Finals
- Jonathan Drouin shines as Lightning jolt Jets
- Senators to pay tribute to fallen soldier, will implement heightened security
- Maple Leafs do aerobic skating drills in first practice after Ottawa shooting
Daniel Winnik, Phil Kessel shine as Maple Leafs rout Blue Jackets
Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:29:58 +0000
Columbus, OH, United States (4E Sports) - Daniel Winnik and Phil Kessel recorded a goal and two assists apiece to lead the Toronto Maple Leafs to a 4-1 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets Friday at Nationwide Arena.
Netminder Jonathan Bernier tallied 28 saves, Nazem Kadri had a goal and an assist while David Clarkson scored as the Maple Leafs improved to 5-4-1 after winning three of their last four games.
Before the game, the Maple Leafs announced that left wing Joffrey Lupul would be out indefinitely after breaking his right hand in practice Thursday. Winnik moved into his spot on the top line.
Curtis McElhinney stopped 23 shots while Cam Atkinson scored for Columbus (4-6-0), which lost its fourth straight game.
Kessel scored his sixth goal of the season with 4:32 remaining in the first period after it was initially ruled that the puck did not completely cross the goal line.
Kessel's shot slipped under goalie Curtis McElhinney, and Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin tried to keep it out of the net with his skate but replays showed he was a fraction too late to prevent the goal.
Clarkson made it 2-0 at 12:13 of the second period with a power-play goal 20 seconds after Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson was called for interference.
Dion Phaneuf took a shot from the center of the blue line, and Clarkson scored his third goal of the season by deflecting the puck to the ice before it skipped past McElhinney.
Kessel fed Kadri for his third goal to complete a 2-on-1 2:38 into the third period before Atkinson denied Bernier's bid for a second straight shutout with a power play goal to cut the lead to 3-1.
Winnik capped scoring with a goal with less than four minutes remaining in the third.