Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Boston
 2010-11 season - Boston Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  07:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, a new season is upon us.
Any predictions or insight for my beloved Bruins?

I'm saying 4th in the East.

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  07:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really? which team in the Northeast do you think will beat them? I am saying 3rd.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro



701 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  10:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Nathan Horton in (what a good trade that was) and maybe having Marc Savard healthy for a full season, the goals will be scored this year and the defense is still really solid. Plus if Rask can't duplicate his rookie season they still have Thomas back there. I think the Bruins will battle with Washington and New Jersey for top of the east.

The Bruins has awesome depth, skills, defense structure, size, good goalies and good coach plus they have a good mix of youth and veteran leadership. The more I think of it the more I believe they are the team to beat in the east.

The only thing is they are over the cap space so they need to get rid of somebody. Maybe Sturm or Ryder needs to go and this could kill some more ability to score goals, and if Savard gets injured again then we will see a team who finished last last year in goals scored will again have to be impeccable on defense to win hockey games. Another question is whether Rask and\or Thomas can return to the Vezina (Thomas two years ago) or stat leader (Rask last year) form.

But if Savard plays more then 70 games and the offense gels with Horton, Krejci, Bergeron, Wheeler, Lucic, Ryder, Recchi, Sturm and maybe Seguin... watch out.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  13:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boston, let's face it, had the perfect storm season before last season. Last year was a disaster. The additiions of Horton, Seguin and Campbell will be a big boost, but, the rest of the guys have to pick it up. I still feel a cancer got into the dressing room and messed up the team. Not many have left so, we'll see. Sturm should retire as he's IR until late Nov at the earliest and Ryder, well, he's a bounce back scorer. I think we made mistake signing Wheeler, we could've got great return trading him.
I'm hoping they dont push Seguin to hard, like they did with Thornton (10 or something rediculous pts 1st yr) Rask will hold his own, but the 2nd year is always harder, TT will have to be sharp to bail him out when needed. We still need a puck mover on D, first pass is so critical in the new NHL. Washington, NJ, Pitts, Boston.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 09/27/2010 02:46:59
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  22:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How could New Jersey and Pittsburgh be 2nd and 3rd they are in the same division.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  22:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doh
isert Philly after taking foot outta mouth
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  02:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Savvy has been announced IR until further notice. So, does Seguin get an auto pass or does he still need to qualify?
The youngsters are playing well in the exhibition games.......
It does open a spot at centre for him, which he is a natural.

"Can't see the forest for the trees? BUY A CHAINSAW !!"
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4511 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  04:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Bruins will take the east . . . I predicted the same thing to happen in a walk last year, but as mentioned, it was the perfect storm for them last year in an underwhelming regular season.

They are a pretty strong and deep team, even with Savard out for a month or two. I expect strong bounce back seasons from Krejci and Wheeler, Bergeron is healthy, and they have added big Horton as well. They are so big and tough to play against, and defensively they are quite sound.

Beast of the division, second in the conference. Don't sell your Bruins short, this is their time . . . and when Savard returns mid season, they will be a force.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5685 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good chance Seguin gets the 10 game "tryout" to see how he does. He can then be returned to junior if he looks out of place. If he's doing well, perhaps he sticks?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Good chance Seguin gets the 10 game "tryout" to see how he does. He can then be returned to junior if he looks out of place. If he's doing well, perhaps he sticks?



I am not sure about this. If Seguin is on the big club at the start of they year it will be under 2 very specific conditions. The first is that Savard will most certainly be out for the entire season. The second is if Seguin plays the wing, which has been happening according to reports.

I would love to see him play in Boston this season, but I also think another year of Juniors and specifically the WJC would be as important in his development.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro



640 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  15:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seguin has not had an exciting camp by any means. He has struggled with the move to the wing. Boston will need him to slot in at center to fill the void because Savard will likely be gone all season.
I think Seguin makes the big club but struggles. I look at Tavares last year and Stamkos the year before. Both players are significantly more talented then Seguin and they struggled in their rookie campaigns.

Edited by - Porkchop73 on 09/27/2010 15:39:40
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5685 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  21:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Seguin has not had an exciting camp by any means. He has struggled with the move to the wing. Boston will need him to slot in at center to fill the void because Savard will likely be gone all season.
I think Seguin makes the big club but struggles. I look at Tavares last year and Stamkos the year before. Both players are significantly more talented then Seguin and they struggled in their rookie campaigns.


From everything i hear, Seguin is hyped as much as either of those guys was, if not, pretty close. Scouts continue to consider this guy a "can't miss" prospect! People keep forgetting, he was very close to being picked 1 overall over Hall.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2237 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  21:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Seguin has not had an exciting camp by any means. He has struggled with the move to the wing. Boston will need him to slot in at center to fill the void because Savard will likely be gone all season.
I think Seguin makes the big club but struggles. I look at Tavares last year and Stamkos the year before. Both players are significantly more talented then Seguin and they struggled in their rookie campaigns.


From everything i hear, Seguin is hyped as much as either of those guys was, if not, pretty close. Scouts continue to consider this guy a "can't miss" prospect! People keep forgetting, he was very close to being picked 1 overall over Hall.



ever notice Leaf fans keep talking about his struggles and Leaf fans are down playing this kid, I was at game one Montreal vs. Boston i had no idea going in what number seguin was wearing, and was sitting far to high up to read the name on his jersey but trust me i noticed who Seguin was on his very first shift, he did not look out of place at all and was one of the few boston players along with Bergeron to have a good game,, at both ends of the rink. Now i cannot comment on his other preseason games i havn't been watching

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro



640 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  03:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Seguin has not had an exciting camp by any means. He has struggled with the move to the wing. Boston will need him to slot in at center to fill the void because Savard will likely be gone all season.
I think Seguin makes the big club but struggles. I look at Tavares last year and Stamkos the year before. Both players are significantly more talented then Seguin and they struggled in their rookie campaigns.


From everything i hear, Seguin is hyped as much as either of those guys was, if not, pretty close. Scouts continue to consider this guy a "can't miss" prospect! People keep forgetting, he was very close to being picked 1 overall over Hall.



ever notice Leaf fans keep talking about his struggles and Leaf fans are down playing this kid, I was at game one Montreal vs. Boston i had no idea going in what number seguin was wearing, and was sitting far to high up to read the name on his jersey but trust me i noticed who Seguin was on his very first shift, he did not look out of place at all and was one of the few boston players along with Bergeron to have a good game,, at both ends of the rink. Now i cannot comment on his other preseason games i havn't been watching

Pasty



Pasty, this is not a Leaf fan down playing Seguin. In true fact I have watched Seguin play many many times with the Plymouth Whalers. He is a talented player for sure and will be a talented player in the NHL. IMO he will be a better all round NHL player then Taylor Hall.
I was simply stating what TSN reported the other night about Seguins move to the wing.
Stamkos and Tavares were better junior players then Seguin. I watched Stamkos play a lot and the guy was always a pure goal scorer, a very talented goal scorer as evident by his co-winning the Rocket Richard trophy. Seguin does not have as much talent, that is true, it does not mean he is not a talented player.
The pressure is there for a young player to perform in his rookie season, especially if they are required to fill the skates of a player like Savard. Many have not had a good rookie season because of it. Lecavalier comes to mind.
I am far from knocking down the kid. He was likely my favourite junior player to watch last year and I would have loved to have had this kid in a Leafs uniform but we have some other 30 goal scorer from Boston instead.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  02:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really not liking the Euro tours......... B's don't play until Sat, and everyone else (except the other 5 euro tour teams) will have 5 - 6 games done already, to our 2. Seguin had a very sweet 1st goal against Pho, good for him. Too many times first goals go in off your butt, shin, elbow.....Heard that Savvy will be going for a stress test early next week, mounting a possible return to the ice sooner rather than later?

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 10/14/2010 02:11:46
Go to Top of Page

Guest4460
( )

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  21:28:54  Reply with Quote
boston's lineup is way too good meow, if the don't win their div i'll throw on my suprised face for about a week.

2nd behind the Washington Ovechkins...........barely
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1028 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2010 :  12:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Porkchop, as a leafs fan myself, get used to your opinions always being viewed as leafs bias. Boston has a good team but i wouldn`t exactly put them in the same league as Washington, if the Capitals had Rask...put their names on the Stanley Cup.

Boston has had great goaltending for several years, therefore a playoff team for several years. Boston will have great goaltending for the next decade thanks to J.F.jr.

Boston struggled greatly scoring goals after the departure of P.Kessel, now Savard may be gone for a long time. Boston should compete for the division title...BUT..with 1 more head shot to P.Bergeron, they may find themselves looking for 7 or 8 in the east, either way Rask should put them into the playoffs again.

Tampa Bay is a perfect example of what happens to an NHL team when they lose a top goalie...they still haven`t re-couped from letting N.Khabibulin walk away, and that was a long time ago.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  06:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 more headshot on Bergy? That is a statement for any player in the NHL. Any player, at any time can go down. So, that's a pretty loose prediction. Horton and Seguin will produce some offence and there's a whole host of young guns in the system. Goaltending won't be an issue for many many years as stated.
I expect rebound years for many of the black n' gold. Ryder is on his last year of his contract and needs to earn another. Bergy will be strong, vetran Reckin' ball will help the kids. Wheeler needs to step up. I like the D, Chara / Seidenberg, Boychuck. Could do without always broken Ference, but what can you do.
First or second in their division.
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4511 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  07:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disagree, Toxxic. Not every NHLer has sustained a serious concussion already, which does make it much easier to be "one concussion away".

If Bergeron were to get ANOTHER concussion like the one he already got, it would most likely be a career ender. For most other NHLers, who probably don't have a serious concussion in their past, a concuccion of that severity probably wouldn't be a career ender.

Concussions are cumultively destructive . . . using Lindros as an example, he got one big one from the Stevens' hit, but could still play afterward (although not at the same level). But he then got a couple of smaller, mionor concussions afterward, and effectively, they ended his career, making him a shadow of himself.

Bergeron might only need another MINOR concussion to go down the same path as Lindros did. To say that is just like any other NHLer is patently false.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  08:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I am saying is, any player can get a career ending headshot at anytime. Doesn't have to be 2nd, 3rd or 4th, can happen on first shot. Granted, being a player with a history does make it more likely to be serious.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  09:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely right Slozo. The thing with an injury such as Savard's is that it does not even have to be a head shot. In all seriousness, dude can slip on the sidewalk and not even fall down but just jar his head and he could get another concussion.

The risk of getting a concussion after already having had one is significantly higher than if one has never had one. So one is correct in saying that every NHLer's is a serious hit away from ending their career. However, those players who have already had a serious concussion are a simple hit, bump in the shower, slip on the way off the ice from ending thier career.

There are not even close to one and the same.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  05:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bos 3 Was 1

I watched the first 2 periods of this game, and the B's handled the high flying Caps pretty well. B's still have to tighten up the D zone, they were running around chasing ghosts and making some bad decisions with the puck. The offense is hummin' along well. Lucic, Horton, Seguin all showed up. The supporting cast did their thing. Looking forward to when it all really starts to come together, only 4 games in, 3 W 1 L, can't complain. Looks like the teacher has ousted the student for now. (Tim Thomas)

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 10/20/2010 05:56:37
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5685 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  10:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

Bos 3 Was 1

I watched the first 2 periods of this game, and the B's handled the high flying Caps pretty well. B's still have to tighten up the D zone, they were running around chasing ghosts and making some bad decisions with the puck. The offense is hummin' along well. Lucic, Horton, Seguin all showed up. The supporting cast did their thing. Looking forward to when it all really starts to come together, only 4 games in, 3 W 1 L, can't complain. Looks like the teacher has ousted the student for now. (Tim Thomas)



ToX.... have you seen all the games? Just wondering, as i have seen nothing but hilights, how Seguin looks. I know it's early but what's your opinion on his play thus far?

Heard Lucic has looked excellent and has gelled well with Horton. We hear a lot about him around here as he's a local boy and the radio stations get daily calls asking "why did the Canucks not take a shot at this guy in the draft?"!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  11:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horton & Lucic are going to be a force this year. Both are having multiple point games early and both are physically dominating in the offensive zone. Seguin scored a great goal for his first, great pass for an assist and is keeping up & not looking out of place. I've seen all but the 3rd last night. The power play was fast and crisp last night, although no points. Bergy control well on the boards and Krejci is looking dangerous. Hell, even Ryder finished all his checks and had a few close shots. Wheeler is still looking lost, hopefully picks it up sooner than later. The moose Chara actually caught up to a breakaway and regained the puck !!
Go to Top of Page

maxam1974
Top Prospect



Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  12:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked like a contender last night. Not a huge fan of Chara, but man was he solid last night!
Go to Top of Page

maxam1974
Top Prospect



Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  12:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost forgot, Seguin looked like a boy amongst men last night. Gonna be great, not there yet. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am a huge Bruins and Seguin fan. Just sayin...
Go to Top of Page

Guest5806
( )

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  07:11:48  Reply with Quote
I'll say 6th
Go to Top of Page

Guest9275
( )

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  05:28:36  Reply with Quote
Wow. Watched the Bruins ,Caps game last night and does Boston ever look good. Tim Thomas played incrediable. The game should have been closer than the score indicated but like I said Thomas looked good.

Ican't imagine what this team would look like with their best player (Savard) and their leading goal scorer from last year(Sturm) in the lineup. They would be a scary team.

Anyway i hope Leafs fans enjoy their first place position because the way Boston is playing they won't be there much longer.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  05:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boston 4 - 1 - 0

Horton 4G 3A
Krejci 1G 5A
Kucic 3G 3A
RYDER 2G 2A (awesome)
Recchi 3A
Chara 1G 1A
and the kids: Caron 1G Seguin 1G 2A
The only lagger is Wheeler 2A but i'm confident he'll do ok.

I'm glad to see the B's firing on all cyllinders to start the season.
Thomas not only has benched the kid (Rask) but looks to keep the net until he gets blown out. He has been particularly hot in his first 4 games (0 losses) Good for him, keep it rolling. On another note, without Thomas, it could've been a different outcome. We're still running around more than nessecary in our own zone and it cost us several Washington scoring chances, but, TT saved the day. Ryder (as I thought and posted) is looking to redeem himself and earn not only a contract, but to solidify a spot to avoid going down to the minors. He's showing speed, finishing checks and shooting every chance he gets.
These guys look like the real deal so far and can only get better as they gel. Their first pass breakouts are fantastic, gaining several 2 & 3 on 1's with lots of quality scoring chances.
Good to see the team playing as a team and having fun, much of the same attitude the Leafs have, making for some exciting hockey.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 10/22/2010 05:56:41
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5685 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  08:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ToX....what's the word on Savard? I wanna pick him up in a pool i'm in where we're able to drop / add a few guys but while i don't wanna do it too early (and have him sitting), i don't wanna miss out and have someone else grab him before me!

Heard he has to sit out till at least the early part of Nov? Keep me posted if you hear anything!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  09:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex:

Last I heard (in the last week) is that he was working out reg. and skating on his own (no practice). As for playing, i'm with what you heard, mid - late Nov.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5685 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  09:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

Alex:

Last I heard (in the last week) is that he was working out reg. and skating on his own (no practice). As for playing, i'm with what you heard, mid - late Nov.



Well, i suppose with the great start they're off to, there's no sense rushing him back from such a serious injury! Thinking of using one of my add/drops to pick up Lucic. We only get 3 so i don't wanna waste them too early as injuries occur and that's when you really wanna take advantage of them!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  03:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!
Looking good for a fantastic 1st round series beetween Habs and Bruins !

C'mon Montreal, keep your position, it's going to be the series to watch in the 1st round!!!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2237 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  04:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

Wow!
Looking good for a fantastic 1st round series beetween Habs and Bruins !

C'mon Montreal, keep your position, it's going to be the series to watch in the 1st round!!!



Yeah Tox as the senior Habs fan on this site and you being the senior Bruins fan we should work on a PUH bet for the first round because looking at the standings i 'm pretty sure it will be the habs Bruins first round!!!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  05:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in , what you have in mind?
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4511 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  05:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing back this thread . . . fun to see how the lofty predictions of Seguin and Horton have turned out, and people judging how good someone's year is going to be on a half dozen games, lol.

Boston does look good now, and they haven't lost since getting Kaberle. The only thing that will make me smile about Montreal getting in the playoffs is Boston giving them a beat down . . . hopefully. Either way, would be a series to look forward to.



"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  05:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

Horton & Lucic are going to be a force this year. Both are having multiple point games early and both are physically dominating in the offensive zone. Seguin scored a great goal for his first, great pass for an assist and is keeping up & not looking out of place. I've seen all but the 3rd last night. The power play was fast and crisp last night, although no points. Bergy control well on the boards and Krejci is looking dangerous. Hell, even Ryder finished all his checks and had a few close shots. Wheeler is still looking lost, hopefully picks it up sooner than later. The moose Chara actually caught up to a breakaway and regained the puck !!

:)

Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  06:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1
C'mon Montreal, keep your position, it's going to be the series to watch in the 1st round!!!



Don't forget Washington and Pittsburgh!

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  06:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno about that one, without Malkin and maybe Crosby? Will watch of course but will have a different intensity I think.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, needless to say i was not far off on my prediction of 4th in the East, a solid 3th. They won the division today and then?
I'm thinking they will be in the final, Philly is gonna be a battle but I think we got the edge this year.
Think, word and discuss............

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 04/03/2011 03:04:20
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasty, what's the bet? Looking good so far...........
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page