Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Flames trade for rights to Bouwmeester Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3
Moderator



Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  09:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Sutter manages to sign him, which he no doubt will, Calgary will have the best defence in the league. This looks fantastic for Flames fans.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=431947


"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan

Guest0459
( )

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  09:43:42  Reply with Quote
nice maybe now they can have someone who can pick up the slack for Phaneuf other than Regehr
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  20:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch. Nice for Calgary, but I would have like to see him in Edmonton. It would have given the Oil a reasonable amount of assets to improve the team up front (Souray or Vishnovsky) and would have may 3 of the Oilers top 6 defensemen under the age of 26.


Well, we'll see what happens. He's not signed yet!
Go to Top of Page

willus3
Moderator



Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  22:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Ouch. Nice for Calgary, but I would have like to see him in Edmonton. It would have given the Oil a reasonable amount of assets to improve the team up front (Souray or Vishnovsky) and would have may 3 of the Oilers top 6 defensemen under the age of 26.


Well, we'll see what happens. He's not signed yet!



Rumour has been for a few months now that Bouwmeester has been building a house in Calgary.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  23:32:28  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Ouch. Nice for Calgary, but I would have like to see him in Edmonton. It would have given the Oil a reasonable amount of assets to improve the team up front (Souray or Vishnovsky) and would have may 3 of the Oilers top 6 defensemen under the age of 26.


Well, we'll see what happens. He's not signed yet!



Rumour has been for a few months now that Bouwmeester has been building a house in Calgary.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan


I also heard sports analysts talk about this and say its not true, but you never know. I am hoping he doesnt sign in Calgary and comes to Edmonton, but if Calgary gets him damn thats a good defensive core
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  09:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Ouch. Nice for Calgary, but I would have like to see him in Edmonton. It would have given the Oil a reasonable amount of assets to improve the team up front (Souray or Vishnovsky) and would have may 3 of the Oilers top 6 defensemen under the age of 26.


Well, we'll see what happens. He's not signed yet!



Rumour has been for a few months now that Bouwmeester has been building a house in Calgary.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan




I think the info might be a little bit off. He's building that new house in Edmonton, not in Calgary. He is originally from Edmonton. Although this report states that Edmonton would be the last of the three (Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton) that Bouwmeester would play for because of the high demands on hometown boys in Edmonton. Also, interesting note in this report saying something about Phaneuf going to Ottawa for Heatley.

Not sure how accurate this guys sources are, but I heard for a while that Bouwmeester was building a house in Edmonton to hang out here during the summer.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2009/06/23/0623bouwmeester.html

Edited by - Beans15 on 06/28/2009 09:02:50
Go to Top of Page

Guest5425
( )

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  11:07:05  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

If Sutter manages to sign him, which he no doubt will, Calgary will have the best defence in the league.


I think Anaheim, Philly and Detroit will have something to say about that statement.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  14:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more I think about this, the more it's a concern as a fan of a team in the NW. This is really sick when you think about it. Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, and Regehr. That one of the best offensive defensemen, one of the best two way defensemen, and one of the best if not the best shut down defensemen in the NHL all on one team. But the finances are a little concerning. If they pick up Bouwmeester for even $5 million/season, they will have only about $4.4 million under the cap. They have their 9 defense signed, their 2 goalies, and 14 fowards. But, if they have an injury on defense, they are banking on rookies. And, at least 3 of their forwards will be rookies as well. The might be able to afford a middle of the road contract but that will put them right against the cap. They are banking the farm on Bouwmeester if they signs with them.

And one has to think that there is a good chance of that happening. Sutter is not much of a gambler. If he traded for the rights, there has to be a good chance of signing the player. He wouldn't give up a draft pick otherwise.

Very interesting situation.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  16:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5425

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

If Sutter manages to sign him, which he no doubt will, Calgary will have the best defence in the league.


I think Anaheim, Philly and Detroit will have something to say about that statement.



Haha anaheim is losing two of their top three d and nieds isnt even going there for sure..although he said he probably will. They wont have the same great d.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5425
( )

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  20:07:41  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

Haha anaheim is losing two of their top three d and nieds isnt even going there for sure..although he said he probably will. They wont have the same great d.


You are right. If "good road" and Nieds signs with them, they'll have one of the top 5 defences in the NHL. Nieds, Beauchemin, Whitney, Wisnewski as a top 4 pairing. I think this if is just as big an if as J-bo signing with Calgary.

I'm not convinced that J-bo is willing to accept a lower salary than Phaneuf. Now if Dion can pick up his game and forget about Avery's sloppy seconds, Calgary's defence will improve without any additions.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  20:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5425

quote:
Originally posted by hockster

Haha anaheim is losing two of their top three d and nieds isnt even going there for sure..although he said he probably will. They wont have the same great d.


You are right. If "good road" and Nieds signs with them, they'll have one of the top 5 defences in the NHL. Nieds, Beauchemin, Whitney, Wisnewski as a top 4 pairing. I think this if is just as big an if as J-bo signing with Calgary.

I'm not convinced that J-bo is willing to accept a lower salary than Phaneuf. Now if Dion can pick up his game and forget about Avery's sloppy seconds, Calgary's defence will improve without any additions.



You forgot Beauchemin is a free agent and chances are he wont come back.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9338
( )

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  06:54:59  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

You forgot Beauchemin is a free agent and chances are he wont come back.

I don't think so. The guest said if "good road" and Nieds....

"good road" - Beauchemin

Similar to Patrice Brisebois is known as "broken wood". Brise bois translated to english is broken wood.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  09:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Bouwmeester is signing with Calgary, a #1 pairing of Phaneuf and Bouwmeester is huge. Two shutdown guys that play a tough, physical game. On top of that, Phaneuf has great offensive upside, and Bouwmeester will tally around 40 points. Throw Regehr into the mix, you can compare this to Boston's D last year, or Anahiem's D in 06'.

Calgary is really gunna make this their all or nothing year. Too bad they have to lose Cammerlleri to Toronto lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  16:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

So Bouwmeester is signing with Calgary, a #1 pairing of Phaneuf and Bouwmeester is huge. Two shutdown guys that play a tough, physical game. On top of that, Phaneuf has great offensive upside, and Bouwmeester will tally around 40 points. Throw Regehr into the mix, you can compare this to Boston's D last year, or Anahiem's D in 06'.

Calgary is really gunna make this their all or nothing year. Too bad they have to lose Cammerlleri to Toronto lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford



Sorry but Cammy wont make a huge difference in TO you saw when he didnt play with Iginla...he scored roughly 3 goals in twenty games.
Unless they sign the another huge FA he wont make a difference.
If they sign Sedins and him then he will rock but i doubt they sign him really.... I think they will put their money on the Sedins.
The Sedins want back with Burke.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4511 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  04:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bouwmeester going to Calgary . . . if Kipper can get back into his old form, and if the team can get back some of the chemistry they lost when Keenan was around, the Flames will look like the San Jose Sharks did last year - one of the best teams on paper who should be fighting with Detroit to make the final.

Can you say cup run in July?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4942
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  14:39:41  Reply with Quote
If the Flames manage to pick up Bouwmeester they truly will be one of the most all-around talented teams in the NHL. Darryl has built the flames to be a playoff team, with lots of big but by no means slow bodies for the long haul of the playoffs. I can't see Phaneuf being traded for Heatley without Darryl giving Brent a shot with him, Phaneuf will do much better in a defence oriented system and under a tougher coach. Brent did a very good job with Phaneuf in Red Deer and proved how well he can mesh a team together while with the injury plagued NJ devils last season.

Flames are going to do very well this year as long as they avoid injuries come playoff time. Sutter will most likely be signing Bouwmeester, or he would not have given up a Leopold and Vandermeer(for prust) in an already short on depth, defensive core. With Phaneuf / Regehr / Bouwmeester all capable of logging 25+ minutes a game hopefully the depth will not be as necessary. I personally would love to see Phaneuf go to Ottawa for Heatley as I think he would thrive in Calgary, but as previously stated, it won't happen. As a side note, Bouwmeester's GF is from Calgary and it's very close to home, so expect him to get signed even if it doesn't happen b4 the deadline.

Getting to watch an all-around player with the skating ability of Bouwmeester at the Dome, would be a real treat!!!
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  15:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4942

If the Flames manage to pick up Bouwmeester they truly will be one of the most all-around talented teams in the NHL. Darryl has built the flames to be a playoff team, with lots of big but by no means slow bodies for the long haul of the playoffs. I can't see Phaneuf being traded for Heatley without Darryl giving Brent a shot with him, Phaneuf will do much better in a defence oriented system and under a tougher coach. Brent did a very good job with Phaneuf in Red Deer and proved how well he can mesh a team together while with the injury plagued NJ devils last season.

Flames are going to do very well this year as long as they avoid injuries come playoff time. Sutter will most likely be signing Bouwmeester, or he would not have given up a Leopold and Vandermeer(for prust) in an already short on depth, defensive core. With Phaneuf / Regehr / Bouwmeester all capable of logging 25+ minutes a game hopefully the depth will not be as necessary. I personally would love to see Phaneuf go to Ottawa for Heatley as I think he would thrive in Calgary, but as previously stated, it won't happen. As a side note, Bouwmeester's GF is from Calgary and it's very close to home, so expect him to get signed even if it doesn't happen b4 the deadline.

Getting to watch an all-around player with the skating ability of Bouwmeester at the Dome, would be a real treat!!!



Hey, lets not kid ourselves we got to watch one of the best skaters in the league last year at the Dome.
The great Andre Roy, the only fighter with the chance to put 50 goals in the net.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5425
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  16:53:04  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4942
... Phaneuf will do much better in a defence oriented system and under a tougher coach....


Yeah because we all know that Keenan was a really nice coach and doesn't employ a very defensive style hockey.

[quote]Originally posted by hockster
Hey, lets not kid ourselves we got to watch one of the best skaters in the league last year at the Dome.
The great Andre Roy, the only fighter with the chance to put 50 goals in the net.


Hmmm looks eerily similar to the glasses that Hanley was wearing but this one has a more red flame tint to it rather than blue.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5425
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  16:54:46  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4942
... Phaneuf will do much better in a defence oriented system and under a tougher coach....


Yeah because we all know that Keenan was a really nice coach and doesn't employ a very defensive style hockey.

quote:
Originally posted by hockster
Hey, lets not kid ourselves we got to watch one of the best skaters in the league last year at the Dome.
The great Andre Roy, the only fighter with the chance to put 50 goals in the net.


Hmmm looks eerily similar to the glasses that Hanley was wearing but this one has a more red flame tint to it rather than blue.

Sorry for double post, guests can't edit.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8571
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  17:36:38  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5425


quote:
Originally posted by Guest4942
... Phaneuf will do much better in a defence oriented system and under a tougher coach....


Yeah because we all know that Keenan was a really nice coach and doesn't employ a very defensive style hockey.

quote:
Originally posted by hockster
Hey, lets not kid ourselves we got to watch one of the best skaters in the league last year at the Dome.
The great Andre Roy, the only fighter with the chance to put 50 goals in the net.


Hmmm looks eerily similar to the glasses that Hanley was wearing but this one has a more red flame tint to it rather than blue.

Sorry for double post, guests can't edit.



Joke!!!!! he was my least favourite player in the NHL. He is seriously the only guy in the NHL worth a bag of pucks.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4942
( )

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  09:21:58  Reply with Quote
I'll have to defend myself here and say Keenan changed his style, he tried to be the nice guy for once and proved it didn't work (I hope someone who remembers the much older and meaner 'Iron Mike' can back me up on this one). Perhaps 'tougher' is not the right word for Sutter, maybe I could go with what I consider to be 'fair'. He will sit/reduce anyones playtime if they are not playing up to par, even if they are making 6.5 million a year. I never saw Keenan sit Phaneuf no matter how poorly he played, the only person Keenan was noticably tough on this past year was Kiprusoff. Also pointing out that I said Sutter did well with Phaneuf earlier in his career (Rebels and World Juniors). Phaneuf played better positional and defensive hockey while playing for Brent than he did with Keenan.

Now that Bouwmeester and Pardy have been signed I think the Flames are good to go. Having watched Pardy play many times at the Dome, I think he will become a solid part of this defensive core, he is a very smart player and plays excellent position. The Flames might now have the biggest up front lineup in the whole league, no player is under 6'0 with plenty bigger than even that. All the teams in the Northwest division (perhaps with the exception of the Canucks), have greatly improved so far this offseason. There are some amazing division rivalry games to be played this season and I can't wait.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page