Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Game 105

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest8149 Posted - 06/10/2011 : 21:14:48
Game six of the Stanley Cup Finals marks game #105 of the season for both teams (not counting exhibition games), and one must ask how the players can do it?

Yes, they're paid a lot of money, and they receive the best in medical care and attention, but it's amazing how NHL players are able to play this game at the level and intensity they do, especially the teams which go the furthest in the playoffs.

If you compare hockey to the three other major North American sports, there is no comparison!

NBA basketball players play the same number of games as NHL players, but basketball is virtually a non-combat sport.

MLB baseball players play about twice as many games as NHL or NBA players, but a person could play baseball for 27 innings a day every day of the year and never get worn down.

Football players (CFL or NFL) compare the closest to the intensity level experienced by
NHL players, but they play a very small fraction of games (maybe 16 or 18 games, no more than once a week) compared to NHL players.

I'm probably preaching to the converted on a hockey chat site, but I' m wondering if I'm missing something, or does everyone agree that for intensity level (and durability, etc.), does any other major team sport compare to professional hockey (NHL)?
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4050 Posted - 06/12/2011 : 09:21:04
I'll bite... It's Mario 66 (not allowing me to login)

Yes, I agree the ferocity of the playoffs is by far the most grueling & wearing in hockey, but some of the other North American sports are more demanding on one's body then hockey itself. Guys like Lidstrom, Coffey, Bourque & Gretzky used their intelligence to avoid injuries and play at an intense level. In certain position's in Football, Basketball & Baseball the toll taken on your body to compete at such a high level is simply to much to endure (unless your name is Brett Favre)

The cardio of hockey players is amazing and their ability to play at such a high level is special, but one thing many of us forget (8149 you in this case) is the skates players wear (obviously vital & occasionally dangerous) take alot of the pressure off of a players knees, which in the other N.A sports is usually the first thing to go on a player. The vast majority of knee injuries in hockey are as a result of a hit or loss of an edge where as Football, Baseball & Basketball you hear thousands of horror stories of how this guy would of been the next Jordan, Emmit Smith & Barry Bonds, but where cut down in their prime due to blown mcl, acl etc.

Anybody who thinks you can play baseball for 27 innings as a pitcher or catcher everyday of the yr & never get worn out is simply crazy (didn't want to say anything offensive 8149). Your arm is not suppose to fly forward like a slingshot at speeds of 90+mph ever; little own repeatedly every 5 days over the course of an entire career (or until your arm tells you to go fly a kite). As a catcher your legs & back are not meant to be compressed in a box for any period of time. Your body is simply not built to with hold the amount of pressure applied on your ligaments.

As far as basketball, the speeds these guys run at & the cuts they make at those speeds is far more damaging & demanding on your body then hockey (minus being hit at such speeds in hockey). Running is not a natural motion as it wears down the cartilage in your knees; cutting at such speeds is asking to blow & acl, mcl or groin in a heart beat & jumping as frequently as they do is scary as you can roll, snap or break your foot in the blink of an eye.

As far as Football there is a reason only 16 games are played & 70 guys are on a team. I don't think I need to break down the risks involved with football as many players wish to kill each other on every play...

Undoubtedly, every sport has their exception to the rule, the player who's body defies the rule of physics, the Lidstrom's, Cal Ripken's & Brettt Favres of the world!

Yes, hockey players are special athletes & the wear & tear some guys take is remarkable, but to say there is no comparison to the other three sports is a bit of a biased statement that I think your stating with a pair of horse blinders on.

I hope I showed how your statement maybe a bit of a stretch with out coming across as ostentatious.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page