Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Oilers Captain

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4178 Posted - 01/22/2013 : 10:58:41
Looking into the future, it's easy to imagine the Oilers making one of their young guns (Hall, RNH, Yakapov or Eberle) their captain.

RNH was the captain of the Canadian junior team, and Yakapov was the captain of the Russian team, so they deserve consideration. And so does Taylor Hall – he shows leadership qualities. (And interestingly, all three players are first overall draft picks.)

But in my opinion, they should give the "C" to Jordan Eberle. The way he competes on the ice, and how he handles himself off the ice makes him a great candidate for captain.

As for Shawn Horcoff, he's been relegated to a 3rd line centre, and as such, his playing minutes will be down this season. (Last year, he averaged the exact same number of minutes per game as Eberle and RNH - 17:35 minutes.)

And while +/- stats are not a completely objective statistic, Horcoff had the worst +/- on the team last year at -23.

So what are the Oilers waiting for? Am I missing something with Horcoff? I think he's been a decent captain for the Oilers, but I think it's time for a change.

Maybe they will do so tonight at their home opener?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4315 Posted - 01/24/2013 : 21:44:55
Captains are currently:

C - Shawn Horcoff
A - Jordan Eberle
Alternating A - Taylor Hall & Nick Schultz
Alex116 Posted - 01/24/2013 : 19:50:24
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

guest 4377...if you only knew how wrong you are on your statement.......sounds like someone was over-looked a few time on being promoted......

I am the total opposite......i`ve been promoted from day 1 at my job and i`m due for another this week......i`m speaking from 32 years of work experience......i am in fact general foreman with a major construction company

1st day on the job green - horns don`t get handed leadership roles......respect is earned.....it doesn`t get handed to you

Duke.....Congrats on your success. First things first, i'm pretty sure it's NICK Schultz (someone can correct me if i'm wrong) who was named one of the A's on the Oilers, not first year NHLer JUSTIN Schultz!!!! I'm not sure a player has EVER rec'd an A (or obviously not a C) without having ever played in the league!!!

Second, in the real work world, it's not often a young guy becomes a boss/leader/etc without paying his dues, though it has happened. However, in the world that is the NHL, it DOES happen. It HAS happened. And it WILL continue to happen. Young guys often become captain and guest4377 noted some. Others include Jonathan Toews and more recently Gabriel Landeskog. Both recieved the captain's C in just their second season in the league! To compare the world you and i work in and the NHL is not fair really!!!
The Duke Posted - 01/24/2013 : 18:59:07
guest 4377...if you only knew how wrong you are on your statement.......sounds like someone was over-looked a few time on being promoted......

I am the total opposite......i`ve been promoted from day 1 at my job and i`m due for another this week......i`m speaking from 32 years of work experience......i am in fact general foreman with a major construction company

1st day on the job green - horns don`t get handed leadership roles......respect is earned.....it doesn`t get handed to you
Guest4377 Posted - 01/23/2013 : 22:46:37
Sounds like someone was overlooked a few times on being promoted! :)

Being a leader in life or sports is not just about age. I've met people who were leaders at a young age, and I've met people "long in the tooth" who couldn't lead an army of ants to a picnic!

As it relates to hockey, there are a number of great leaders who were far younger than the majority of their teammates when made captain. Players who helped lead their teams to win the Stanley Cup, either when they were very young (Crosby, Toews) or a few years later on like Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman or Sakic.

Yes, experience matters, but we're talking about a game where players "retire" at ages where most working people haven't reached their peak. So for a 20 year-old (or a player in their early 20's) to "lead" a team of players aged 5, 10, 15 years older is not a big deal.

And let's not confuse being a captain of a hockey team with being a foreman on a worksite. A foreman has subordinates, and usually determines (or has some say) on the wages or duties of workers under his command. And a foreman usually (not always to be fair) has the ability to fire a worker under his supervision. A hockey captain does not operate the same as a boss or foreman.

And if a veteran player doesn't like (or shows discontent or lack of support) toward a younger teammate chosen as the team captain, what kind of leadership is that?
The Duke Posted - 01/23/2013 : 20:33:29
No wonder Veterans are unhappy in the Oilers Dressing room...

Didn`t they just strip one of their veterans from the Assistant captain role of last year ?? and gave it to that young boy..Schultz...i think ? .........a youngster who was givin an ...A...on his sweater without playing 1 single NHL game in his life ??

Thats really earning your stripes !!! I remember seeing the player being interviewed on TSN....can`t remember who....he didn`t seem too happy.....and i don`t blame him one bit.

I can only imagine a first year apprentice coming on my crew.....1st day on the job.....and me making him foreman over a crew...lmao
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/22/2013 : 11:37:15
With all the rumors I heard about the Veterans being unhappy in the Oilers lockeroom and causing problems last year, I did not hear that Horcoff was being a problem. He has also handled the reactions the fans and press in Edmonton had given him with regards to his untradable and overpaid contract with great character. He always seems apologetic that he is being paid 1st line money while filling a role players role, on the 3rd and 4th lines. When faceoffs are important I still see the Oilers relying on him more or giving him crunch time minutes. I also remember when he and Smyth were given chances on the top 2 lines last year, they both showed production increases with top offensive playing time and linemates. I just think Edmonton is too deep a team offensively for the skills he possesses to show up on the stats sheet .
Alex116 Posted - 01/22/2013 : 11:07:36
I agree with the Eberle choice, however it's always difficult to know what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe Horcoff is a guy the other's all love as captain? Maybe he leads in other ways than his stats show? Maybe he's just that well respected in the room that there's no need for a change until he moves on? Then again, they might just make a change tonight but i don't see it myself. There's no need to rush to make one of your young guys captain and add more pressure to him during his development (though i think Eb's is ready to take that on) UNLESS there's a serious need to make this change. While some of Horcoff's stats aren't super, he's still a contributor to the team and perhaps is a much better leader than we fans can see?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page