Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Ottawa
 Burkes Blockbuster Deal

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fanoleaf Posted - 01/07/2009 : 10:35:07
Toronto has just picked up 37 yr old Brad May from the Ducks for a conditional 6th round pick 2010 .

40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Porkchop73 Posted - 01/10/2009 : 06:11:57
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5521

porkchop i think you should become a theripist

Cute, I am just getting a little fustrated with some leaf fans putting up some ridiculous posts not only in this topic but other ones as well. So I wanted throw some common sense out there from a leaf fan. It is just embarassing to be a leaf fan and read some of these. I am true blue through and through but man reading some of these posts by people who say they are leaf fans is driving me crazy, do they have any common sense?
Guest5521 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 19:16:19
porkchop i think you should become a theripist
Guest5521 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 19:13:38
"new gm and same old typical leafs trade, giving up a draft pick for a washed up vet, yes may will be a leader and good for the younger players. but he is in the last year of his contract they could have kept the draft pick and just signed may in the off season.............. man i am glad im not a leafs fan "

leafs dont have good scouting haha what are we gonna get for a 6th rounder anyways. we need a veteren who can lead these kids and get them going. the leafs dont have a captain anymore
Guest6638 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 16:37:24
If Burke can get a higher pick for May at the trade deadline than the pick that was used to acquire May, then definitely good deal Burke.
leigh Posted - 01/09/2009 : 16:23:35
I think the problem for many Leaf fans is that they were expecting something more substantial for Burke's first move. Not a trade involving an old vet and a 6th rounder. But the reality is that big trades don't happen until closer to the trade deadline when good teams that underperformed fully realize that they are not going to make the playoffs and they want to unload their salaries.

No doubt Burke is trying to bring in some leadership, some toughness with May so consider it an education for the younger guys on the team. I think this is a good move when you consider that he knows the playoffs are completely out of reach now. Remember the lower the finish the higher the pick my friends, so for better or worse he can't lose with May on the roster. Burke is a smart cookie; give him time, he has a plan.
Guest0961 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 15:15:53
Its probably just because it's the only move he's made. Leaf fans need something to debate right now. They're waiting for the big moves. If this was one of 5 trades made in march, it probably would have been forgotten by now.
Porkchop73 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 14:17:46
I sure hope that we don't get into crazy analysis over such small trades in the future. It is what it is, May brings toughness, leadership, and has always been well liked. Thats what Burke, Wilson, and even May himself said. Also anyone who thinks a conditional 6th round pick is too much for this deal needs to re-evaluate their hockey sense. Lets get a grip, there are going to many deals while the Leafs or any team rebuilds. Some will be great, some will be even steven, some will just plain bomb. I surely hope that all are not so scrutinized especially ones like this, it is just plain lunacy to do so.
Guest7735 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 13:26:52

I guess we did watch 2 different fights because May did pund him. Bouillon fell and May lifted him back up and pounded him some more.
[/quote]

We sure did, he didn't fall, he slipped. I agree with your take on the visor however.
[/quote]

aren't falling and slipping the same thing...? especially on ice?
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 13:24:30
The leafs are a lightyear behind montreal on the scoreboard, trying to beat the crap out of them is the only thing they have left. The Leafs are terrible right now, nowhere close to being as good as Montreal. They are playing for respect and trying not to be embarassed.

I kind of wish (even as a diehard leafs fan) that the spotlight would just shift off of them for a while untill they can build the team back up a bit. It's sad to see them getting so much attention in a such a sorry state, especially after last year... I can't wait for the playoffs.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Odin Posted - 01/09/2009 : 10:37:31
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7735

Just heard on Leafs Lunch wtih Darren Dregar that the condition on the 6th round pick for may is if the leafs resign him next year. So my bet would be that the leafs use may for the rest of the year and dont resign him so that they can keep the pick. Also, grabovski has been suspended for 3 games for pushing the linesman last night.

Can't argue that Mayers got the better of Kostopolous though

Yes, I will give you that. Mayers did pound on Kostopolous. I do like the scoreboard however.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 10:13:41
That was me (see above)

Guest7735 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 10:13:14
Just heard on Leafs Lunch wtih Darren Dregar that the condition on the 6th round pick for may is if the leafs resign him next year. So my bet would be that the leafs use may for the rest of the year and dont resign him so that they can keep the pick. Also, grabovski has been suspended for 3 games for pushing the linesman last night.

Can't argue that Mayers got the better of Kostopolous though
Odin Posted - 01/09/2009 : 10:07:34
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6196

quote:
Originally posted by Odin

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Just watching May pound the snot out of Bouillon last night was worth it already. For the love of God Bouillon, take off your freaking visor if your gonna fight. Also, shame on Nik Hagman for backing away from Bouillon. The leafs need to seriously upgrade their team toughness. I dont mean get more fighters (cause there are enough of those on the team already, most of which aren't even that good) but guys who will stick up for each other and not be intimidated. Burke has alot of work ahead of him to turn this team around.

Last nights game (in my opinion) was the beginning of a downward spiral to the depths of the eastern conference. I was pretty disgusted with the leafs last night, as they were running around with no direction at all, trying to fight anything in red.

Burke IS going to purge this roster of at least 5 or 6 guys before this season is over. Tomas Kaberle all but being a guarantee now after his comments yesterday.

Any thoughts on Grabovski - S. Kostitsyn yesterday? Those guys obviously hate each others guts. There must be something personal between them. I would have loved to see them go at it.

I guess we saw two different fights. May certainly did not "pound the snot out of Bouillon." It looked pretty much like a draw to me, and considering that Francis is 5'8" I think he did quite well. Gotta love this guy. I think he would fight Chara if he got the chance.

Apparently Grabovski has been mouthing off about the brothers in some Russian newpaper and that is why Sergei wants a piece of him. Grabovski seriously needs some help!

I guess we did watch 2 different fights because May did pund him. Bouillon fell and May lifted him back up and pounded him some more.

We sure did, he didn't fall, he slipped. I agree with your take on the visor however.
Guest6196 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 10:05:59
quote:
Originally posted by Odin

quote:

Just watching May pound the snot out of Bouillon last night was worth it already. For the love of God Bouillon, take off your freaking visor if your gonna fight. Also, shame on Nik Hagman for backing away from Bouillon. The leafs need to seriously upgrade their team toughness. I dont mean get more fighters (cause there are enough of those on the team already, most of which aren't even that good) but guys who will stick up for each other and not be intimidated. Burke has alot of work ahead of him to turn this team around.

Last nights game (in my opinion) was the beginning of a downward spiral to the depths of the eastern conference. I was pretty disgusted with the leafs last night, as they were running around with no direction at all, trying to fight anything in red.

Burke IS going to purge this roster of at least 5 or 6 guys before this season is over. Tomas Kaberle all but being a guarantee now after his comments yesterday.

Any thoughts on Grabovski - S. Kostitsyn yesterday? Those guys obviously hate each others guts. There must be something personal between them. I would have loved to see them go at it.

I guess we saw two different fights. May certainly did not "pound the snot out of Bouillon." It looked pretty much like a draw to me, and considering that Francis is 5'8" I think he did quite well. Gotta love this guy. I think he would fight Chara if he got the chance.

Apparently Grabovski has been mouthing off about the brothers in some Russian newpaper and that is why Sergei wants a piece of him. Grabovski seriously needs some help!

Odin Posted - 01/09/2009 : 09:43:35
quote:

Guest0992 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 09:06:32
You're right this is definately being analysed to death, and for a pretty low impact trade.

It actually looks like the ones questioning the trade are really defending their right to question it at all, and also taking offence to those saying that questioning the trade is stupid. And the posts for the trade are talking about May himself.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 07:55:03

n/a Posted - 01/09/2009 : 05:52:58
The trade isn't a big one, but of course we already see, even on this site, that it will get analysed to death because it's Toronto.

It sure is hard to be a Leaf fan sometimes.

So, at best, May brings leadership, great work ethic, and more grit to a team that desperately needs more of all three for a 6th round pick not likely to produce an NHLer (especially considering the Toronto track record in that area!). At worst, he gets injured or falls apart and gets sent down to the minors (in which case we get him for free, as it is a conditional pick).

So, it's either a win, or at worst a nothing lost, nothing gained deal. What's the problem?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Axey Posted - 01/08/2009 : 22:42:27
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7179

heck of a trade!!!?? burke and leaf fans think a guy like may will "toughen-up" toronto?? it takes more than may to do this. all of a sudden toronto thinks they are a tough team (like the ducks)?? look at their tough performance against habs (6-2)!!!! so much for toughness and grit and MAY as a leader.... HAAAA!!! May can't even intimidate hab players like boullion, who is half his size!!!!! what a joke?!!?!?!?

Alright, First off Boullion is a tough candidate who is a HIGHLY underrated as a fighter. He after tied Colton Orr. Secondly, it is only a step in the right direction. Everyone knows that Brad May is not the savior of the franchise and he was not brought in to take on that role. The leafs are not tough, but will be when Burke starts to build this team. As well, the Habs are a very tough team and nobody really sees it yet. Komisarek, Laraque, Kostopolous, Begin, Lapierre has alot of fight in him and is my favourite player personally. Gorges is very tough, Hamrlik is big physical guy, Latendresse is a big boy and can throw down as well. The Kostitsyn's might not be tough fighters but are physical and have alot of fire in them this year. They aren't as soft as many years and I'm not sayin they are the toughest team ever either.

For all of the haters of this trade, the have many other 6th round draft picks to test out, I'm sure one won't retire their faith and leave them hopeless. Lets just all sit back and watch where this team is going.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Guest4631 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 19:59:26
the point is the leafs always give up these kinds of picks for past there prime players. and never take the chance on the lower draf tpicks. yeah maybe there is only a 7% chance that you will find the next zetterburg or lundqvist. but when you dont have those late draft picks you have a 0% chance of finding the next one. And it is the lack of young players the leafs have drafted n developed that has them in the position they are in now, they give all there picks away for rusty old timers
Guest7179 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 19:47:46
heck of a trade!!!?? burke and leaf fans think a guy like may will "toughen-up" toronto?? it takes more than may to do this. all of a sudden toronto thinks they are a tough team (like the ducks)?? look at their tough performance against habs (6-2)!!!! so much for toughness and grit and MAY as a leader.... HAAAA!!! May can't even intimidate hab players like boullion, who is half his size!!!!! what a joke?!!?!?!?
Guest0901 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 19:09:29
I don't think anyone who questions the trade has to "give their head a shake". You have no idea if May is going to come in and be a leader in the dressing room. He's new and he's got bad history with Moore as was stated before. Assuming he's going to step in and be a leader is a fallacy. It may happen or it may not, hell it may even hurt.

People are questioning the aquisition because it may only marginally better the team, while giving up ANY future prospect be that a Lundqvist or a career ECHLer isn't the supposed plan. I think fans are just trying to say this move doesn't take the team in the right direction. People are also questioning whether Burke made this move for the right reason, is May really the guy to lead and teach this team, or is he just Burke's buddy. It's perfectly valid for people not to like the trade, even with May's credentials.

Also your math is off, there were only 7 rounds in 2005, so you should be basing your numbers on 660, which doesn't make much of a difference but an 8% chance is better than a 7% chance. Also the point of that post was to show the other guy that there were more than 6 decent picks in the last 10 years from the 6th round on. 53 players isn't bad, it could also easily turn into 60-70 once more of the 2004 and 2005 draftees make it into the NHL.

No leaf fans are making outlandish trade propositions like Hollweg for Sharp, not sure where that came from. This topic is just looking at the May trade.

Just trying to look at this unbiasedly.
Beans15 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 17:45:23
OK, let's look at this last post.

53 players in 6 years. Seeing how there are 30 picks each round, that is 120 picks per year. Over 6 years, that's 720 draft picks. 53 of them made it. That's a solid 7%!!! So, a team has less than 1 6th round draft pick each decade(on average) making the NHL. And, of those 720 picks, 2 of them are all stars. That's an even more solid 0.3%!!! I can't believe that Burke would give up a less than one percent chance of getting a all star in the 6th round for Brad May. What a complete moron!!

C'mon. Seriously, give your head a shake. A player with over 950+ games experience, 80+ play off games, a Cup winner, and a guy who is reveared as a dressing room leaderfor a pick that is statistically worse than 1 in 10 of even making the NHL??? That's a no brainer. Sure, that draft pick might turn out to be the next Zetterberg or Hundvist, but it is far more likely they will become the next Scott Selig or Sven Helfenstein.

Seriously, this is at worst a fair deal. Why are so many people so critical on this?? I don't understand. What do people expect??? Oh, that's right. People think that Burke walks on water and should be able to trade Moore and Hollweg for Sharp and Kane.

I hate to say it, but this is a perfect reason to be less than passionate about the Leafs and their fans.
Guest0224 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 16:20:55
Guys who made it to the NHL since 2000:

6th Rounders
2000 - Chechmanek, Hordichuk
2001 - Seidenberg, Clowe, Zidlicky, Jussi Jokinen, Laich
2002 - Ranger, Ian White
2003 - Gervais (not much from this year)
2004 - Kaleta
2005 - D'Agostini
Then it starts being too recent

7th Rounders
2000 - H Lundqvist, Lombardi, Gaustad, Miettinen
2001 - Boogaard, Huet, Moss, Oduya, Bochenski, Svatos
2002 - Norrena, Oystrick
2003 - Paetsch, Pavelski, Brodziak, WIlliams (T.O),
2004 - Campoli, Hunwick
2005 - S Kostitsyn, Stralman, Cumiskey (only 7 rounds)

8th Rounders
2000 - Sekeras
2001 - Voros, Gerber, Hollweg, Jurcina, Cajanek
2002 - Talbot, Prucha, Wideman, Craig
2003 - Enstrom, Byfuglien, O'Brien, McIver
2004 - Pekka Rinne

9th Rounders
2002 - Burish (282nd pick)
2003 - Halak (271st pick), Tarnasky (287th pick)
2004 - Streit (262nd pick), WInnik (265th pick)

That's 53 players in 6 years in rounds 6-9, also 2 are all-stars this year. So you never know what you're giving up when you trade a pick away. If Burke doesn't keep May next year and if May doesn't perform well on the leafs next year, I think the trade will not have been worth it.
Guest4803 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 16:09:15
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9836

I know I wouldn't like to be on a team with a guy who played a role (however small) in the breaking of my brother's neck and the ruin of his career. And they how would I feel about my teammates who became buddies with him... yikes... to be a fly in that locker room.

what career? steve moore sucked, he'd probably be playing in the echl at the moment if he was still healthy.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 15:33:50
What I don't get here is that people are critisizing this as a bad move because it "makes the Leafs worse". Isn't that what you want? Brad May is a player who will teach the team grit and toughness. He is also one of Burke's former players, so he can explain to the team what Burke expects.

This is by no means a bad move. Name for me 6 good players that have went in the 6th round. Maybe 1 or 2 good ones have in the past 10 years, but by and large a 6th is nothing.

Burke's smart, he knows what he's doing. Brad May was a good pickup, and it will benefit the Leafs in the years to come.
Guest5566 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 14:13:22
always like brad may for the type of player he is but think that he must have some pictures of burke with a hooker or something for burke to keep bringing him on where ever he goes!!!!!
Guest4631 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 12:23:51
i think its more like burke did his buddy a favour freeing up a roster spot for someone who can play as oppose to may who plays 6 mins a game
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 11:02:52
Guys, Burke pretty much got him for free. It was a CONDITIONAL 6th rnd pick. So unless May's performance meets those conditions (whatever they are, say 7 goals and 100pim) than they dont have to give up the pick. I could be wrong about this, but Im pretty sure Burkes ol' buddy in Anaheim did him a favour.

Guest9836 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 09:59:35
On another note... (and I can't remember if this is in another topic)

What is this going to do to the dressing room. Having Moore and May both might cause some division on the team. I think that distraction may take away from what Burke is trying to do (adding leadership), depending on how the team handles the situation. Very iffy territory I think.

I know I wouldn't like to be on a team with a guy who played a role (however small) in the breaking of my brother's neck and the ruin of his career. And they how would I feel about my teammates who became buddies with him... yikes... to be a fly in that locker room.
Beans15 Posted - 01/08/2009 : 07:55:48
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0961

What youngsters are going to learn from this, Kulemin was sent to the AHL and Deveaux is probably on his way since May should fill that role to a degree. Not to mention Burke probably will ship out any youngish players who might take on leadership roles (Antropov, Pony, Stajan)

This was a Burke loyalty pickup, plain and simple. May's best days are behind him, and the team will most likely change so drastically in the next 2 months that anything May "teaches" to possible team leaders will only benefit the other teams those players are traded to.

As for 3rd/4th line role players don't the leafs already have Mayers, Hollweg, Deveaux, Newbury, Mitchell, Moore....

I would replace any of the players that are listed here with Brad May every single day of the week. He is such a tough, gritty hockey player and he brings everything he has to every single game. That's something that he can show (though leading by example) to any players on the Leafs.

Do you all think it's a fluke that the guys has played over 950 NHL games spanning a 17 year career??? The guy has to have value or he would have been gone long ago. I do agree that his best years are behind him but he still has a couple of decent one's left. If Burke can have him on that team to help groom some of the younger guys, that is perfect.

No wonder the Leafs have been such a bad team for such a long time. With thinking like this, what do you expect??? When the Leafs actually were a good team(early 90's), they played with grit and determination. In fact, take a look at their squad that went to the Conference Finals in 93. That team was not filled with skill players at all. They had some skill with the likes of Gilmour and Anderson, but even those guys were tough as nails kind of players. It was a bunch of guys that knew how to play hockey, and played with Grit.

Kinda like Brad May???
Guest0961 Posted - 01/07/2009 : 19:59:46
What youngsters are going to learn from this, Kulemin was sent to the AHL and Deveaux is probably on his way since May should fill that role to a degree. Not to mention Burke probably will ship out any youngish players who might take on leadership roles (Antropov, Pony, Stajan)

This was a Burke loyalty pickup, plain and simple. May's best days are behind him, and the team will most likely change so drastically in the next 2 months that anything May "teaches" to possible team leaders will only benefit the other teams those players are traded to.

As for 3rd/4th line role players don't the leafs already have Mayers, Hollweg, Deveaux, Newbury, Mitchell, Moore....
goleafsgosjnb Posted - 01/07/2009 : 18:42:51
Nothing major was sacrificed and Burke brings in the type of player who the youngsters can learn his style of play from. Nothing wrong with that. Rebuilding is more than just throwing as many young players out at a time and hoping for the best. Solid move.
Guest4631 Posted - 01/07/2009 : 17:19:55
when your team is in a rebuilding stage draft picks are vital no matter what round, with out the young players anaheim had through drafts they would not have won a cup. now toronto has given up a draft pick and picked up a player who is just going to take ice time up that the leafs could have used for younger players to prove them selves as true nhl'ers. and if they really wanted him moving forward they could have picked him up in the off season, as of now this is an absolutly useless trade for the leafs
Guest2918 Posted - 01/07/2009 : 16:56:16
37 YEAR OLD BRAD MAY IS A GRITTY TOUGH ROLE PLAYING VETERAN. COME THE OFF SEASON THEY STILL HAVE THE OPTION TO PICK UP PLAYERS OF THIS CALIPER. BURKE WANTS TO GROOM THIS TEAM NOW TO PLAY HIS STYLE AND LEARN WORK ETHIC.

I SAY ITS A GOOD PICK UP BECAUSE THE TEAM IS PLAYING BETTER THAN EXPECTED AND ADDING A HARD WORKING PLAYER NOW FOR A 6TH ROUND PICK, WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT TURN OUT, IS GOOD BUSINESS SENSE.

BURKE'S NOT REALLY A DRAFTER ANYWAY LOOK HOW HE TREATED BOBBY RYAN. BOYS ONLY GETTING PLAYING TIME NOW THAT BURKE IS ON THE EAST COAST.
Guest7179 Posted - 01/07/2009 : 16:32:09
he's just sacrificed "now" and "future" with this tade. this is only the beginning of his plan to bring washed-up ducks that can't win any more in CA, and definitley will NOT win in TO in the future. if this was a year (or two) or rebuilding for TO, burke has just started to screw that up!
Guest4631 Posted - 01/07/2009 : 16:13:46
its sacrificing future for now, thats fine when your a playoff team. but the leafs are not. burke could have signed may in the offseason, which is something he is still going to have to do if may is to return last year. this does not help the leafs move forward at all.
he still has the option to sign big names in the offseason by keeping the draft pick.

this season is going nowhere, the leafs brass admits that themselves.

a 37 yr old in the final year of his contract is not worth them giving up any draft picks for no matter how low it is he is a free agent at the end of the year!
Axey Posted - 01/07/2009 : 15:51:39
Sacrafice my friend, Sacrifice. Burke wants a good team or a bad now, not later. With picking up role player it fills pieces of the puzzle that are no doubt needed and also gives him the option to either sign big names in the off season or bust and draft high.

Yes he may find a gem with that 6th pick but realistically no one can tell the future and more times then not, it is a player that won't ever play.

Also a key with those gems is the ability of the team scouts, to get out, go to the countries and cities where few suspect talent and find them players and take a chance on them. More often then not that is who the late picks are that end up being stars.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Guest4631 Posted - 01/07/2009 : 14:38:56
the guy is a free agent at the end of the year he could have picked him up for free at the end of the year. the leafs need all the draft picks they can get. to say late draft picks would amount to nothing?

lets see mark streit 262nd pick Lundqvist 205th zetterburg 210th kaberle 204th nabokov 219th timonen 250th Khabibulin 204th Hasek 207th and the list goes on not to mention the brad may style players you can get with those picks

these are the type of trades that have led the leafs to the position they are in. its not like they needed a gritty vet for the playoff run this year!
Guest6612 Posted - 01/07/2009 : 14:22:21
wow the title was huge blockbuster deal wow....

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page