Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Leafs Defence: The 7th Man

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/28/2011 : 07:07:12
If there are no serious injuries to the Leafs' blueline corps, who do you think will end up being the odd man out (7th defenceman) by the end of the year?

Projected top 8 defencemen:
Phaneuf, Schenn, Liles . . . then . . .
Franson, Aulie, Gunnarsson, Komisarek, Lashoff

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Duke Posted - 08/29/2011 : 19:18:46
Anyway, off to work again....chat at a later date. Guess some pre - season games will be over by the time i`m back again.
The Duke Posted - 08/29/2011 : 19:16:42
RC, i agree somewhat on your Gunnarsson assessment. I Don`t think he is quite as bad as you think he is...but i certainly don`t think he is the next coming or anything.

If M. Kom is ever going to play any hockey, he better do it quickly i think. As for sending him down like the J. Finger job...i don`t think they can, i believe he as a no movement clause in his contract....as in no moving him to the Marlies.

If L. Schenn is ever moved it will probably be for a young ( 24 - 26 year old ) center ice-man. Wishful thinking in regard to Shea Weber....
TheRC Posted - 08/29/2011 : 10:18:44
I see Phaneuf as the sort of D-man who has to be confident in his ability to make mistakes in order to be effective. That is, he needs a partner he can trust to play solid enough defence to allow him to do the stupid, but sometimes spectacular, things that can sometimes make him so effective. I'm talking about the huge hits, the dangerous blueline pinch, getting out of defensive position in order to hit a one-timer etc. etc.

After a ton of (failed) experimentation, Aulie seems to have slotted nicely into that role as Phaneuf's responsible half. I'd be very surprised to see that pair broken up.

For another (the top?) pair I suspect Schenn and Liles will compliment each other nicely. The final pair is up for grabs. I'd bet on Gunnarsson being a fixture, barring a slump, and though it pains me to say it, because I think the guy is worse than useless, Komisarek will certainly be given (another) good shot, if only to justify is salary. I would like to see more of Franson though.

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Beans15 Posted - 08/29/2011 : 08:45:30
I agree that Schenn not being signs is not fishy and I think that if Burke has something up his sleeve, he would have done it already. Burke has been very candid about what his intentions are and it was around the 3rd week in July when he said he was done for now unless someone came to him with a deal.

Secondly, there are maybe 2-3 players that can be compared with Shea Weber today (under 30, Norris-level defender, as good offensively as defensively). Not only that, Weber is still an RFA after this season. With that, Schenn and a draft pick/prospect is no where near that value. Not even close.

Slozo, I do recall Phaneuf playing far better at the end of last season. Much like he did with Hamrlik in Calgary, he finds a partner he likes and plays very well. It's a good point if Aulie is that guy.
n/a Posted - 08/29/2011 : 04:37:10
First off, not fishy at all that Schenn isn't signed yet - they gave the timetable for those negotiations early in the summer, and there is no reason to think it won't get done. Schenn is not going anywhere.

Secondly, I agree Beans - I don't think Liles and Phaneuf will ever get paired together, same reasons you stated. But what you may not have noticed last year, not being a Leafs fan and all, is that Aulie played with Phaneuf for the most part of the second half of the season, and that's when Phaneuf really played well.

Unless Aulie truly has a "sophomore slump" - and it could well happen - I see Phaneuf and Aulie staying together.

Phaneuf - Aulie
Liles - Schenn
Franson - Gunnarsson / Komisarek

Lashoff

I predict that Komisarek will really pull up his socks, make the top 6, and that Gunnarsson will be dealt. That is, unless someone REALLY wants Komi, which is highly unlikely unless some team gets killed with injuries on the blueline.

So, 7th man will be Lashoff, or one of the kids on the farm.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nuxfan Posted - 08/28/2011 : 20:51:48
quote:

Don`t be shocked if Brian Burke sends Schenn plus a good prospect to Nashville in return for Weber.

I would not be shocked if Burke put that offer forward. I would be utterly shocked if NSH accepted it.

There has been all kinds of talk around town about VAN making a play for Weber. Although in the end I don't think they will, consensus (amongst non-hockey people mind you) is that it would take Ballard (he has to go the other way), Schneider, Hodgson, and a draft pick, just to open the conversation.

Weber is probably the most highly coveted blueliner available (or semi-available) right now. Schenn and a prospect seems ludicrous.
Alex116 Posted - 08/28/2011 : 18:48:10
Weber is under contract for 7.5 for one year. This was awarded earlier this month in arbitration.

For this prospective trade to even be considered, the Leafs would need some sort of guarantee that Weber would be willing to sign long term.
The Duke Posted - 08/28/2011 : 18:27:48
Sorry guys guest 2219 was me...not logged in.

Would you make the proposed deal i suggested ?? I would ( with Komo. in ) just stirring up conversation.

What do you think ?
Guest2219 Posted - 08/28/2011 : 18:24:25
Is Shea Weber signed yet ??

Don`t be shocked if Brian Burke sends Schenn plus a good prospect to Nashville in return for Weber.

The only way though i would consider this move is if Nashville took Komisarek in the deal...way tooooo much $$$$$ on the leafs defense with Komi. still there.

I smell something fishy with Schenn still not signed....Burke may have something up his sleeve.
Leafs81 Posted - 08/28/2011 : 18:18:57
I honnestly think it will be split time between two players like they did with Finger and Exelby a couple of years ago. They have to play Komisarek somehow to try to sell him. Give him bigger responsabilities, get his stats back up (blocking shots and hits) and then trade him or put him on waivers. But that's also up to Komisarek to take this opportunity and show what he can do. If he doesn't nobody will want him and Toronto are stuck with him for two more seasons. His contract is just too big for him not to play. Phaneuf, Schenn, Liles and Franson are the top 4.

So I think it will be split between Gunnarson and Aulie, big and tough or skills depending on who they play that night. That way if there is an injury both are ready to step up and Lashoff gets the call as the 7th.
Beans15 Posted - 08/28/2011 : 11:52:59
Why is Schenn on the list? Did he sign when I wasn't looking??

Kidding, we all know he will sign.

Without seeing any training camp or preseason, I would set up my groups like this:

Phaneuf - Schenn
Liles - Franson
Gunnarsson - Komisarek

As you can see, I agree and prefer to see an offensive and defensive player pairing. Secondly, Aulie is not on my list. Not because I don't like him, but I see Schenn, Franson, and Komisarek ahead of him. Also, he is still on a 2 way deal as far as I am aware so he can go down to the farm without a negative impact to the team. I also think Aulie would benefit from playing every night in the AHL rather than in the press box in the NHL. That makes Lashoff the #7

That being said, Komisarek is on a short leash and I would not be surprised to see him on waivers if he tanks.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page