Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Philadelphia
 Good Riddance Flyers!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4377 Posted - 05/08/2012 : 20:21:30
I've never been a Fyers fan, going back to the days of the Broad Street Bullies!

What's the virtue in being a bully anyway?  A bully is a person (or team) who preys upon the weak, or one who picks on someone smaller than themselves.

The Flyers met that criteria in the 1970's, with guys like Dave Schultz, Bob "Mad Dog" Kelly, Don Zaleski, Andre Dupont, Gary Dornhoefer, etc. In their lineup.  It was not uncommon to see a gang of Flyers jump an opposing player, and many times, targeting the smaller or non-tough guys on the opposing team.

I remember when Dave Schultz pummeled pacifist Dale Rolfe in a "fight" which was more like an assault.  The Flyers were notorious for going after Borje Salming, the abuse which was telentless and overboard, probably justified in their mind because Salming was a Swede.

Skipping ahead over the years, the Flyers have continued their "style of play," admittedly not as dirty as their two-time cup winning team in the 70's, but on the boundaries of fair play to be certain.

They have not won a cup in nearly 40 years, and one has to wonder if their style of play is the reason why?  They've been a very good team the past 40 years.  I suspect their record ranks them as one of the top 3-4 teams over this period of time, but still no cups!

As I watched the Flyers in the first round of this year's playoffs, they went after the Penguins in typical Flyers fashion, and it seemed to work.  But two things got them past the Penguins:   their power play, and the Penguins undisciplined play.  (Well, three things actually - Claude Giroux was a big factor.)

The Flyers physical play (and tactics) did not work against the Devils though, who ousted them in just five games.  The Devils matched the Flyers step for step in the physical department, and the Devils (mostly) stayed away from retaliatory activities and penalties.

In the final game of the series, it was the Flyers who showed frustration and a lack of discipline, taking bad penalties, punching or pushing players in the back, etc,

Rookie player Sean Couturier was trash-talking out there, and normally classy Danny Briere bumped Brodeur at the end of the second period, and he was lucky to not be called for spearing in the third period when he jabbed Carter in the stomach with his stick. 

But the nail in the coffin was the loss of Claude Giroux, who in typical Flyers style, went head-hunting in game four, and the result was his one-game suspension, which surely was a factor in the Flyers losing tonight, and their elimination from the playoffs!

There's an old saying in hockey which says "if you can't beat them in the alley, you can't beat them on the ice."  But the game is not played in alley, without rules, or where gang intimidation goes unpunished.

I like the game played with skill, toughness, and with class.  You can win with all three components, as great teams have in the past.  The Flyers teams of the past 40 years have certainly contained the elements of skill and toughness, but when thinking about classy organizations, the Flyers don't come to mind.

And maybe it doesn't matter, but whatever the Flyers have been doing since their Broad Street Bully cups, hasn't translated into cup success!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 05/16/2012 : 13:10:24
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7504

Just why in hell are you ranting on the Flyers anyway??? Do you prefer losing hockey from such organizations as the leafs and Habs. I would rather be a fan of the flyers than be associated an any way at all than the leafs, habs, devils, canucks red wings etc. You never stated who your useless team is any way. The only thing about the Flyers I don't like is having 2 stupid Russians on their team. Looks like we are stuck with at least one of them for awhile. Talk about classy ?- how about those loser Canucks? Bite me

LOL.....i don't even think he's a Canucks fan and "we" still get the "LOSER" bit! C'mon, couldn't ya at least have thrown in a "riot" blast or something? Or maybe a "you guys act like you've won something"? Even something original woulda been better than a simple "loser".
Guest7504 Posted - 05/16/2012 : 08:45:15
Just why in hell are you ranting on the Flyers anyway??? Do you prefer losing hockey from such organizations as the leafs and Habs. I would rather be a fan of the flyers than be associated an any way at all than the leafs, habs, devils, canucks red wings etc. You never stated who your useless team is any way. The only thing about the Flyers I don't like is having 2 stupid Russians on their team. Looks like we are stuck with at least one of them for awhile. Talk about classy ?- how about those loser Canucks? Bite me
Guest4598 Posted - 05/12/2012 : 11:38:01
There's nothing classy about Briere, though I too am glad to see the Flyers gone. In the end I think they were too young, with baboons like Hartnell leading the way they were destined to implode.
ToXXiK1 Posted - 05/10/2012 : 09:24:26
Flyers will try ti live up to the bullies of past, teams just have to adjust to it as did the Devils, as did the Bruins last playoff run. Pick off the weak points and survive the brutal attack and, Flyers out.
Guest4178 Posted - 05/10/2012 : 09:07:09
I don't think the current day Flyers operate quite the same as the "Broad Street Bullies" of yesteryear, but the team does have a certain personality and mindset, one which hasn't changed dramatically over the years.

Bobby Clarke (now "Bob" as the Senior Vice President) was an original member of the Broad Street Bullies, and has overseen the operations of this team since his "dad" (Ed Snider, owner of the team) anointed him a senior capacity after Clarke's leadership brought the team two Stanley Cup victories in the 70's. (Can't fault Snider for his loyalty.)

Since then, the Flyers have embodied Clarke's style of play, and the team has enjoyed a certain level of success. (No cups, but the Flyers have been a very good team for most of the past 40 years.)

When looking at some of the key positions in the organization, it is interesting (and revealing) to see the names connected to each of these positions:

GM: Paul Holmgren
Assistant Coach: Craig Berube
Director of Player Personnel: Dave Brown
Player Development Coach: Derian Hatcher

No knock on any of the above former players (all tough hombres, and each who played for the Flyers), but when you add Bob Clarke's role to the mix, it's not surprising to see how the team competes on the ice, and their style of play.

Once again, not quite the same as the "Broad Street Bullies" from the 70's, but without question, a team which plays a hard-hitting, physical style of play, and sometimes (and more than most other teams) outside the boundaries of fair play.
Beans15 Posted - 05/10/2012 : 08:11:12
I can see The point Slozo is making as that Flyers hatred from a Leaf fan can be found by inserting any two rival teams in the place of TOR and PHI. DET/COL, OTT/TOR, MON/BOS, EDM/CGY, PHI/PIT, et al.

That being said, I think there is a Pronger-esqe D-bag on every team, it's just that fans don't see d-bag in the uniform they cheer for. Dion Phaneuf, using TOR as an example, it a giant meatball. We all know the guys from Vancouver. Pronger was named. Dudes like Torres, Marchard, Clutterbuck. The list goes on and on.

So to not like a team because of one d-bag must mean you can find a way to dislike every team in the NHL. Except the Edmonton Oilers of course!!! HIJACKED

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
n/a Posted - 05/10/2012 : 07:23:30
I'm ALMOST there with ya, Crock'o'shight. ALMOST there.

I do really like Giroux. I think Briere IS all class. And who wouldn't want Hartnell on their team? I agree wth all that.

But . . . there is still a Pronger in the background . . . "ass-hol-ish-ness" lurking there. They still have what I consider to be the worst fans in all of hockey (IMHO) . . . and you saw that in their last game as exhibit A. And . . . they are not the laid back guys you are making them out to be when talking about that Penguins series.

Besides, I am a Leafs fan with a long memory - long enough to remember the Domi attacked by fans incident, the Lindros trade that was killed (when he was still in his prime); and, even more sadly, I still remember way back in 2008 when those blasted Flyers and their goon fans ousted my Leafs from the playoffs in 2004 . . . and apparently, sprinkled us with stink-juice so that we'd have years and years of bad luck.

No - my fan hatred of the Flyers is still there.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest8384 Posted - 05/10/2012 : 05:01:51
Almost everything, no cup again. no goaltending again.
Guest0513 Posted - 05/09/2012 : 19:14:07
I used to have an account here myself a long time ago,can't remember what my user name even was lol, but one of these days I night sign back up
CrockOShight Posted - 05/09/2012 : 14:16:29
I used to hate the Flyers. Obviously the Broad Street Bullies were not exactly "inspirational". The whole Eric Lindros and the "Legion of Doom" line in the 90s was lame. I never even liked Mike Richards, Jeff Carter or Chris Pronger - "holier-than-thou", "lazy" and "dirty". Yeah, I never liked the Flyers.

Until this year. And, I wish people would acknowledge that instead of writing "good riddance" and "I hate the Flyers". This year's Flyers were very different.

This year, the Flyers were great. You simply cannot hate Jagr. I'm not even going to debate that. Briere is pure class. Giroux is a superstar in the making. Timmonen, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Read... All hard guys to hate. Bryzgalov is a laugh a minute. Even Scottie Hartnell has gone from "bad guy" to "good guy" all in one year. This year's edition of the Flyers was awesome. And, even an ardent hater of Philadelphia such as yourself such at least acknowledge that.

Giroux's hit wasn't "dirty". It was done out of frustration, certainly. But, there is absolutely zero "intent to injure" there. Briere's "spearing" incident is hardly worth mentioning. He barely poked Carter. Carter, by the way, grabbed the puck on the bench annulling a Flyer breakaway - something you didn't mention.

You also spoke mentioned that:

"The Flyers went after the Penguins in typical Flyer fashion..."

I'm not sure what series you were watching there. But, what I saw was the Penguins completely losing their minds. The Penguins were DEFINITELY the aggressors out there. Obviously, the Flyers have a way of getting under Pittsburgh's skin - but I can't point to a single incident that would indicate "dirty" play or "bullying" (as you put it) by the Flyers, in the First Round.

In any event, you should applaud the Flyers. They had a very fun team this year. They skated hard and played the game it was "meant" to be played. Slick passing, hard breakouts, clutch scoring, fun rookies, compelling veterans, zero douchebags - this team had it all this year.

New Jersey won because
a.) they had bigger wingers,
b.) they found their PK again.
The wingers put pressure on the Flyers all series long forcing turnovers. Also, Philly had been riding a strong PP all year long. Once it got shut down, it was lights out.

In any event, you have to look at this year with a new light. You can't just go out there year after year and blindly hate a team because of a style they played 40 years ago before you were born. I encourage you to take a fresh look at it. The Flyers this year were a fun, classy, excellent team. I am very disappointed they were eliminated.
Alex116 Posted - 05/09/2012 : 07:55:37
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Very well written, Guest 4377. That's nice stuff - you should sign up!

I think i tried to get him to sign up quite awhile ago? At least i think it was 4377, so hard to keep track of #'s.
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
To the first comment here about the Bruins using the Flyers' old tactic of intimidation on their cup run: I would say that above and beyond anything else, what actually won the Bruins the cup was stellar goaltending and very solid defence. THAT would be the first and foremost thing.

I agree, the run that Thomas was on was far and away the #1 reason the Bruins beat the Canucks (and prob some of the others). It's hard to measure the effects of hitting and there were a few Chara and Lucic hits that are sorta memorable, but let's face it, the two most impactful hits in that SCF series ironically were thrown by 2 Canucks! Aaron Rome's hit on Horton knocked both of them out of the series (for different reasons of course) and the big one, Dan Hamhuis' hip check on Lucic. This check resulted in a sports hernia / groin injury to Hamhuis (which required offseason surgery and) and his absence from the remainder of the series. Hamhuis' hit was in game 1 and therefore he basically missed the entire SCF series. As he and Bieksa had become the #1 shutdown line leading the Canucks in ice time, he was sorely missed.
The_Gipper Posted - 05/09/2012 : 05:33:35
passion, drive, effort, heart, the will to win, etc., etc., etc. i didn't watch much of this series, but when i did these are the things that Philly seemed to be lacking. and last night was the capper. it was like i was watching my Leafs float around the ACC on a Saturday night!
even the fans had given up. two minutes to go in the 3rd period, down 2 goals, pull the goalie for a 6-on-4 advantage. you'd think the fans would stand up and cheer to their very last breath to try and help their team out in a last minute effort? nope... half the seats were already empty, and the ones that were there simply didn't care anymore. the writing was on the wall.
n/a Posted - 05/09/2012 : 04:40:38
Very well written, Guest 4377. That's nice stuff - you should sign up!

To the first comment here about the Bruins using the Flyers' old tactic of intimidation on their cup run: I would say that above and beyond anything else, what actually won the Bruins the cup was stellar goaltending and very solid defence. THAT would be the first and foremost thing.

Did the physicality and "intimidation" factor into it? Absolutely, especially against Vancouver in the finals . . . but there again, without the defence and goaltending, it's a moot point.

And that is without dissecting what is the difference between a team that plays smart, tough physical hockey, and a team like Philly that as we saw cotinues to break down mentally by taking stupid penalties and trying to goon it up too much. It is a fine line, and I will say that when Pittsburgh won the cup the last time, they were oh so close to that line, but never crossed it.

And I agree wholeheartedly . . . I love watching hockey, not goonery.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4315 Posted - 05/08/2012 : 21:01:10
Wow, that was quite the read. You must really hate the Flyers. Although i am not a huge Flyers fan I must say their tactics (being tuff/physical/bullies) certainly worked last year for the Bruins. I think the problem for the Flyers was that the Devils do not play that game. Which makes sense. Not sure anyone or anything could intimidate/bully the . Except maybe The Hulk. Also Bryz could use a brick wall behind him. I blame the Flyers coach if anything. Why?, because if your game is not working then you have to play the other teams game and play it better. The Flyers just kept trying to play their game. If anyone could have seen this it should of been the coach..

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page