Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 ryan smyth gone.

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
oil guy Posted - 02/27/2007 : 12:41:56
tsn is reporting that ryan smyth is going to the new york isles.
i for one am very disappointed.
it says to me that klowe has given up on this year and possibly the next few as well.
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zebra9 Posted - 04/23/2009 : 13:16:02

quote:

oil fan97 Posted - 03/09/2007 : 16:46:39
I still have faith
Beans15 Posted - 03/05/2007 : 17:42:37
3 since the Smyth trade, but they were playing like crap long before either of the trades.
jbraiter Posted - 03/05/2007 : 17:35:52
how many game losing streak are they on now, becuse the loss of bergeron and smyth

Go Canucks
Beans15 Posted - 03/05/2007 : 17:32:31
Lastly on this topic, I was just on a local Edmonton site and there was a post from a fella in Calgary in a forum for "Edmonton Weather." It said,

"Wow, it must have been really cold there the other day. I heard it was -94!

That is funny!
leigh Posted - 03/02/2007 : 13:43:44
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I made a post very quickly after the trade that said if he doesn't come back the trade is crap. I had to think about it too.

And Leigh, the only thing I disagree with is that he took a home town discount before. Prior to his last deal, he had a couple of seasons of 60+ points, but most of them less than 40 points. He was getting $3.5/year. That is right about on pace with what he should have been paid.

Ok, let's all move on from this. It was a huge trade and no one really wanted, but let's get back to more exciting things.

True, but I think we all admit that he brings a lot of intangibles to the table that bump him up. Leadership, high pain-threshold, two way player, and from what I understand he was an easy player to coach. These things have value above just the points. Regardless we're on the same page I think. Moving on...
oil guy Posted - 03/02/2007 : 12:52:52
i disagree, he will get more money offers by many other teams this summer. he bring alot more than just points to the table. and this stuff about not bringing a cup to edmonton, so if that is the case then commodore should definately be paid huge dollars because he has taken two teams to the sc final and won a cup.
Guest8506 Posted - 03/02/2007 : 08:48:48
Sorry, I know this is old but just wanted to add something.

Shane Doan signs 5 yrs 23M
Ryan Smyth (reportedly) turns down 5 yrs 27M

Honestly, he didn't even lead the team in scoring last year. What a bum. I predict he gets less than that offer come summer.
Beans15 Posted - 03/02/2007 : 07:53:38
I made a post very quickly after the trade that said if he doesn't come back the trade is crap. I had to think about it too.

And Leigh, the only thing I disagree with is that he took a home town discount before. Prior to his last deal, he had a couple of seasons of 60+ points, but most of them less than 40 points. He was getting $3.5/year. That is right about on pace with what he should have been paid.

Ok, let's all move on from this. It was a huge trade and no one really wanted, but let's get back to more exciting things.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 03/02/2007 : 00:00:56
Man the only time i actually cheered for the oilers was when the went to the Finals and that was because i just wanted the Cup in CANADA not because liked them and second i hate the Oilers but i liked Smitty kinda sad/happy to see him go
-oil-country- Posted - 03/01/2007 : 22:18:20
quote:

Now that I have had a chance to absorb this trade, I have several points to make.

1) For all of you out there who say that Kevin Lowe is a retard or what ever else, remember, it takes two to tango. Ryan Smyth is just as responsible for the trade as Lowe and the Oilers are. If Smyth wanted to stay here so bad he would have been more active earlier and more eager to make a deal happen. This was a business decision from both sides. Don't pin this all on Lowe as he is not the only one involved.

2) Try thinking with your head a for a while rather than your heart. Ryan Smyth bleeds Copper and Blue and always will. Just like the Oiler greats. Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey. They all played for other teams and they all consider themselves Oilers. Smyth will too. And the Oilers always survived.

3) If you are an Oilers fan then stand behind your team. If you are a Smyth fan, then become an Islanders fan now and get off the bandwagon. A true fan stands behind their team through thick and thin.

4) Kevin Lowe did make a mistake that he admitted to in losing all the FA last year without getting anything in return. That is why he did this. He did not want to make the same mistake twice. If they would have not pull the trigger on the trade, there is nothing to say that Smyth would have demanded $6 million in the off season. Then what happens? The Oilers either overpay for him or they lose him and get nothing in return.

5) No one can say weather or not this is a good trade for the organization. Only time will tell. I can tell you right now there are few teams in the league with the depth on the farm and prospects the Oilers have today. We currently have 8-1st round picks in the system who are not on the big team. Couple that with the 3-1st round picks this year and the 4 1st round picks in the past 5 years that are on the team. That is 15 players in there system after this draft that are 1st round picks. That is some serious depth for the future and assets for trades! That is exactly what a hockey team wants when they have to rebuilt, depth on the farm of prospects. And face it, the Oilers need to go in a different direction.

6) Think of the UFA and RFA markets this year. There are over 300 UFA's this year. If they had signed Smyth, they would not be in the hunt for anyone else. The Oilers are looking like they will have plenty of room in the cap to bring on some free agents.

7) Smyth had a great run with the Oilers. He became a home town hero. But in the end, he didn't bring home the Cup. He is not a Cornerstone player to build a team around. He is an amazing leader and a great #2 guy, but he's not the man in the NHL. It's the facts. We need a #1 guy and Smyth is not it.

8) If this trade play out well for the Oilers and you see a Cup here in the next 5 years, everyone crying right now will be singing the praise of Kevin Lowe. Hindsight is 20/20 and Lowe made the best move he felt he could for the team without knowing what would happen in the future. And don't think for one second that he will not be held accountable for this decision regardless if it turns out positive or negative.

Beans im glad your on this site i don't think i can read one of your comments without changing my mind. When i first heard this deal i was like that is crappy then i thought about it and then thought it was decent cause of what we got but then i read your comment and I LIKE THE DEAL!
lyall Posted - 03/01/2007 : 21:17:53
He post game comments from NYI make it sounds like he doesn't like it.
leigh Posted - 03/01/2007 : 17:54:37
quote:

It is the biggest story of the year to the point by far. Give it until Sunday. It will be done by then.

And wow, all the props. I am glad my opinion is appreciated as much as I appreciate all opinions of the people on here. (Except for Chooch!)

Beans even I'll give you props buddy. I love Smyth and he deserves 4ish million but not 5.5. We have to be honest, he's not super elite. He's just really good. He's a great guy with a huge heart who is not afraid to pay the price to get his 35 goals. Every team would do right by having a guy like that in the roster and only a few of them are lucky enough.

I don't think he was in the wrong to take a stand though. It doesn't make him greedy really. On the contrary, I understand that he took the hometown discount for years and years, and after 10+ years he wasn't going to do that anymore, that's his prerogative. Problem is, that he just got some bad agent advice and raised the price too high. He set himself up for disappointment (if he wanted to stay). Naturally some desperate team is going to pay that price and for them he might be worth it. For the Oilers, obviously nope. Yup they got a decent package for him and there is a slim chance he might come back but if you look closely, Beans is right, they are truely rebuilding and that plan doesn't include Smyth.

Oiler fans should treat him with respect because he treated them well for a lot of years. And Lowe is doing what's right for the team. All is right with the world.
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 15:25:05
It is the biggest story of the year to the point by far. Give it until Sunday. It will be done by then.

And wow, all the props. I am glad my opinion is appreciated as much as I appreciate all opinions of the people on here. (Except for Chooch!)
bablaboushka Posted - 03/01/2007 : 14:52:18
One would think that if Smyth TRULY wanted to stay in Edmonton, he would have taken a miniscule cut in pay. Yup, that's true heart and soul right there. He's just a greedy little bastard like all the others.

IHC, you want something to complain about, how about all the TV coverage Smyth is getting because of this deal... WHO CARES. I know I'm not an Oilers fan so this is easy for me to say, but get over it and look to the future. WAAAAA you lost a decent player, you know what, it's been done. Sure I'd be sad if Marleau left San Jose because Marleau is the "heart and soul" of the Sharks. They drafted him when he was 18 and he's played there ever since. You get over it and you move on. I grew up in the 90's and I can't remember a player who got so much post-deadline attention from sports broadcasters.
Guest9872 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 12:03:34
i totally agree. he turns down 5.4 mi? pff. i for one am not entirly convinced that he deserves that much in the first place. hes a hometown hero and a leader and all....but u cant compare him with some of the real all stars in the league. the 3 first rounders in the upcoming draft is big. i especially agree with the farm depth the oilers have *cough *cough robbie schremp. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwovbIyPYJk )

the whole deal still sucks tho because it leaves our playoff chances next to none.
or hell..maybe he just got traded because bergeron needed a room mate.

leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 11:52:14
quote:

Now that I have had a chance to absorb this trade, I have several points to make.

1) For all of you out there who say that Kevin Lowe is a retard or what ever else, remember, it takes two to tango. Ryan Smyth is just as responsible for the trade as Lowe and the Oilers are. If Smyth wanted to stay here so bad he would have been more active earlier and more eager to make a deal happen. This was a business decision from both sides. Don't pin this all on Lowe as he is not the only one involved.

2) Try thinking with your head a for a while rather than your heart. Ryan Smyth bleeds Copper and Blue and always will. Just like the Oiler greats. Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey. They all played for other teams and they all consider themselves Oilers. Smyth will too. And the Oilers always survived.

3) If you are an Oilers fan then stand behind your team. If you are a Smyth fan, then become an Islanders fan now and get off the bandwagon. A true fan stands behind their team through thick and thin.

4) Kevin Lowe did make a mistake that he admitted to in losing all the FA last year without getting anything in return. That is why he did this. He did not want to make the same mistake twice. If they would have not pull the trigger on the trade, there is nothing to say that Smyth would have demanded $6 million in the off season. Then what happens? The Oilers either overpay for him or they lose him and get nothing in return.

5) No one can say weather or not this is a good trade for the organization. Only time will tell. I can tell you right now there are few teams in the league with the depth on the farm and prospects the Oilers have today. We currently have 8-1st round picks in the system who are not on the big team. Couple that with the 3-1st round picks this year and the 4 1st round picks in the past 5 years that are on the team. That is 15 players in there system after this draft that are 1st round picks. That is some serious depth for the future and assets for trades! That is exactly what a hockey team wants when they have to rebuilt, depth on the farm of prospects. And face it, the Oilers need to go in a different direction.

6) Think of the UFA and RFA markets this year. There are over 300 UFA's this year. If they had signed Smyth, they would not be in the hunt for anyone else. The Oilers are looking like they will have plenty of room in the cap to bring on some free agents.

7) Smyth had a great run with the Oilers. He became a home town hero. But in the end, he didn't bring home the Cup. He is not a Cornerstone player to build a team around. He is an amazing leader and a great #2 guy, but he's not the man in the NHL. It's the facts. We need a #1 guy and Smyth is not it.

8) If this trade play out well for the Oilers and you see a Cup here in the next 5 years, everyone crying right now will be singing the praise of Kevin Lowe. Hindsight is 20/20 and Lowe made the best move he felt he could for the team without knowing what would happen in the future. And don't think for one second that he will not be held accountable for this decision regardless if it turns out positive or negative.

Beans, I think you may be the smartest person on the forum. Nice educated anyasis.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 11:21:37

vintage Posted - 03/01/2007 : 09:32:05
boy o boy o boy o boy thats all i have to say too bad for the oilers and a tough way how he found out.
lyall Posted - 03/01/2007 : 08:52:48
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4611

There is no doubt that K Lowe has a multitude of things going through his mind regarding this trade but I still think it was a bad idea to trade Smyth. Smith may have not been the leading scorer in the league but he always managed to make that all important goal when it counted the most. I think the Oil were more unlucky this year than anything. They had a lot of good forwards and they just didn't get it done.
This is what I'm hoping happens, summer time, flames trade Huselius to NYI for Smyth. Now that would be a good battle of alberta then.

go flames go

Smyth is a UFA in the summer. NYI can't trade him.
Guest4611 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 08:12:12
There is no doubt that K Lowe has a multitude of things going through his mind regarding this trade but I still think it was a bad idea to trade Smyth. Smith may have not been the leading scorer in the league but he always managed to make that all important goal when it counted the most. I think the Oil were more unlucky this year than anything. They had a lot of good forwards and they just didn't get it done.
This is what I'm hoping happens, summer time, flames trade Huselius to NYI for Smyth. Now that would be a good battle of alberta then.

go flames go
lyall Posted - 03/01/2007 : 08:08:39
I don't think anyone lost respect for Smyth. Only stupid bandwagon fans lost respect for Lowe for making the desicion the he thought was best.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 05:50:32
Wow, Lowe really hurt this team after coming 1 game within the Cup. He lost Peca, Pronger, Spacek, Samsonov and now Smyth.

Ok, i hear all this crap(srry for using this word but it is) that Smyth should have stayed even if the Oil can't shell out 200k/. But seriously, 200k isn't alot of money on the cap, so give it to him. the Flames had the same problem with Iginla before, but instead gave him the check book and told him to write in te amount. then they built around him, which the Oil should have done with Smyth.

Lowe dropped the ball this time, but I think Ryan lost alot of respect from fans around the league. I hope he plays bad so the Islanders don't make the playoffs and my Leafs get in.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Novie Posted - 03/01/2007 : 05:42:33
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4948

Puhleeese the only reason RS was crying is cause he got in a pissing match over 300,00 dollars

True: Early reports had the Oilers offering up to $5.4mil, and Smyth wanted $5.6. I mean, seriously....get over yourself!

I had all the respect in the world for this guy until he said "Hey, I guess if Gretzky can get traded, anybody can"

Don't even put yourself in the same sentence as Wayne Gretzky. That's bringing a toothpick to a gunfight!

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Guest4948 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 04:59:24
Puhleeese the only reason RS was crying is cause he got in a pissing match over 300,00 dollars, if he really cared about the fans in Edm like he was blubbering about he would have said hey its not that much dough i'll stay. Edmonton you wanna take down the ol city of champions sign and put up a city of crybabies sign 'cause thats is the only thing you dominate latley.
lyall Posted - 03/01/2007 : 00:29:53
quote:
Originally posted by oil fan97

Lowe had 6 months before the deadine to sign Smyth and Lowe leaves him as a last minute thing. Lowe you suck!

Nice to see your loyalty to the oganization.
oil fan97 Posted - 02/28/2007 : 20:35:57
Lowe had 6 months before the deadine to sign Smyth and Lowe leaves him as a last minute thing. Lowe you suck!
oil fan97 Posted - 02/28/2007 : 20:33:01
I still have faith in the Oilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lyall Posted - 02/28/2007 : 15:48:05
Sounds like he wants to come back. He will re-sign in the summer.
admin Posted - 02/28/2007 : 14:43:29
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2646

quote:

Let me tell you why I am a bit ashamed to be an Oiler fan today. And it is not becuase Lowe traded Smyth.

1) On the way home from work I was listening to the local sport radio station and the vast majority of people were saying how bad Smyth was. Granted, Smyth is not an elite player in the league,but he is in the top 25%. Besides that, he's been the heart and soul of the team for the past decade. Give the guy the props he deserves and wish him well. He may be back one day. If he is, I am sure those same people who cut him up today will be back on the Oilers band wagon.

2) During Mark Messier's retirement ceremony tonight (very well done I might add) when a the CEO of the Oilers and the Owners Rep came on the ice there were huge boos from the crowd. Thanks for that Oiler Fans. Way to go during Messier's big return.

Boing was good old man

Welcome Guest. Not sure what you are getting at here, but feel free to sign up for an account and join in on our discussions.

Cheers,
Admin
Guest2646 Posted - 02/28/2007 : 14:24:50
quote:

Let me tell you why I am a bit ashamed to be an Oiler fan today. And it is not becuase Lowe traded Smyth.

1) On the way home from work I was listening to the local sport radio station and the vast majority of people were saying how bad Smyth was. Granted, Smyth is not an elite player in the league,but he is in the top 25%. Besides that, he's been the heart and soul of the team for the past decade. Give the guy the props he deserves and wish him well. He may be back one day. If he is, I am sure those same people who cut him up today will be back on the Oilers band wagon.

2) During Mark Messier's retirement ceremony tonight (very well done I might add) when a the CEO of the Oilers and the Owners Rep came on the ice there were huge boos from the crowd. Thanks for that Oiler Fans. Way to go during Messier's big return.

Boing was good old man
Guest2646 Posted - 02/28/2007 : 14:23:06
quote:
Originally posted by PortugueseOilKings

I agree.. I'm so sick of everyone telling me how Kevin Lowe is a retard and how this is the worst day since Gretzky got traded, blah blah blah.

If you didn't go into today expecting Smyth to sign or be traded you my friend are the retard. It was one or the other. And I am a HUGE Smyth fan.. his name graces my Oiler Third Jersey... im incredibley dissapointed he's gone, so many others I wanted to go. But we got 2 great prospects and a draft pick... and although VERY slim... theres a chance he could sign in the off season.

Regardless, if the Oilers don't make the playoffs im rooting for the Isles to make it and Smyth can finally win the cup!

And in regards of comparing this to Gretzky... its not even close... Gretzky helped Edmonton win the Cup 4 times... Smyth helped Edmonton to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup once... not even a similarity.

Kevin Lowe issssssssssss a retard.
admin Posted - 02/28/2007 : 14:21:39
A tearful farewell:

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/video/latest/20070228_Tearful_sendoff_for_Smyth
Guest6839 Posted - 02/28/2007 : 13:18:15
quote:

I tottaly agree. Smyth isnt really that great a player but he was doing the job for the oilers, always infront of the net at the right time scoring those "garbage goals" usually at key points in games. Also as for Messiers return, honestly show some respect to one of the greatest players that team or even the NHL has ever seen. They probably wont be seeing anyone of that calibre for along time.
vintage Posted - 02/28/2007 : 12:59:36
For sure hes the one who gets the puck in the net and i mean he is the Team if you think about it and a huge leader for them as well as the one who makes sure the refs make the right calls ( he convinces them about 50% of the time)
Beans15 Posted - 02/27/2007 : 19:32:35

Myles06-07 Posted - 02/27/2007 : 16:03:28
They will make future off-season room and Torres will be a seller.
-oil-country- Posted - 02/27/2007 : 15:58:16
I like this trade for what the Oilers got but it's too bad that Smyth's gone. But Ryan O'Marra was great for Canada and i can't wait for him to come i haven't heard much about Robert Nilsson and that 1st round pick can go a long way. And this deal would be amazing if Smyth signs back with the Oilers.

P.S Why couldn't they have trade Torres! Maybe no one wants him
Myles06-07 Posted - 02/27/2007 : 15:55:56
Well...
They can't afford to lose him for nobody like what happened with Chara so i'm thinking smart one by lowe if you beleive it or not.
They will loose some overpaid guys and re-sign smyth at the later on.
semin-rules Posted - 02/27/2007 : 14:13:45
Ryan Smyth not playing for Oilers is like Peanut butter without Jam, its not right

But i hate Smyth so i dont really care

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page