Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Montreal
 Question about Habs fans

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9312 Posted - 03/13/2007 : 04:58:18
I just want to get you thought about Habs fans, let me explain, what I mean by that is that I keep earring them say that the Habs should have more player from Quebec some even say it should be a 50/50 thing. I ear that from the French guys from Quebec so I don't know if it's the same for the English. So lets see what you guys have to say.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9720 Posted - 04/22/2008 : 18:36:41
quote:

I agree that they should load up on good players, regardless of where they were born. Teams go into a draft with different strategies. Some take the best player available, regardless of position, and others fill positional needs.

Hypothetical situation: The Habs get the first overall pick and the top ranked player is from Alberta. The second ranked player is a Montreal Native. Both are projected superstars. I bet the Habs take the Montreal Native every time.

Well , looking at your situation, I would do the same , no matter where I am from , if i have a #1 prospect and a #2 prospect to choose from , and the #2 is from my teams City I would pick that player , for 2 reasons , #1 hometown boy more then likely watched hometown team and played hometown hockey , soo i would think hey its for his hometown , he might play with more heart #2 if its the top 2 ranked , im sry but 1 and 2 are equal to me if not then they are pretty damn close enough so id be happy with either
habsfanforlife Posted - 04/11/2008 : 12:18:22
As you can tell I am a Habs fan. Grew up watching them in the 70's and they are my team, period. I don't attack people from other cities for cheering on their team, I expect they should be supporting their teams. I also am disgusted by the media, both in Quebec and out. I don't live in Montreal anymore but I will always be a Habs fan and I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I get disgusted with the trashtalkers especially ones from cities who have never won a cup or haven't won one in over 30 years. It's Canada, support the cup staying up here. If you truly love the game you should respect the teams, all teams all players... well maybe not Darcy Tucker ( I hated him since he was a Hab).. but I digress... To those who hate the Habs just because they are from Quebec, pull your head out. The team's record stands for itself. Ironically... my favorite player of all time is not a Hab, it is Bobby Orr.

I don't care either what nationality, language or planet the players are from, as long as they are producing and playing hard that's ALL that matters, from any team in the league. May the best team win!
Nordiques Posted - 04/11/2008 : 10:44:57
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8884
I can't seem to understand where you're getting this from because RDS always shows the 3 stars, unless I'm hallucinating of course, but I always stick around after the game to see the stars. There's always a commercial break before they show it so that's probably why you miss it. As for them being biased, I entirely disagree. If anyone is biased it would be TSN (a.k.a Toronto Sports Network) and Roger's Sportsnet. I honestly find RDS the most impartial station there is. They get just as excited when other teams score and they'll be the first to accuse the refs if the Habs get away with no penalty for something that should have been.

First of all, my friend, the last post in this topic is dated "March 13th, 2007"... It's more than a year ago...

Second, I never said they don't name three stars at the end of a game at RDS, but so often, they're not the same as the three from TSN (or another network) presenting the game... and curiously, those named on RDS have more habs names in it...

Are you a Montreal fan? Or just not understand french perfectly? Maybe there's (are) the reason(s) why you find the comments on RDS impartial, because they're often not. And when not presenting a Habs' game, which teams they put on the program? (and they're not at the arena for presenting the game, they're in their studio in Montreal describing the play from the feed of another network!!! haha) Often Pittsburgh (because of Crosby and the long list of frenchies there: Talbot, Dupuis, Fleury, Laraque, Therrien, Lemieux as Owner), Tampa Bay (for the same reasons: St.Louis, Lecavalier, Ouellet, Picard and Andre Roy), Ottawa (just accross the Ottawa river), and New Jersey (Brodeur). Not a bias?

Personnaly, my native language is french and understand english at an average level. I'm also an old Nordiques' fan (as my nick said), and since '95, I can't tell you I'm a fan of a team or another. I just like hockey, that's it. I don't hate Habs, and I don't cheer for them either. But I defenitely hate the way the medias (TV, papers, radio, even internet) cover the team here in the Quebec province. And, by extrapolating, I hate hockey fans from here listening to those media, and after years listening them, are convinced to possess the truth.
Guest8884 Posted - 04/11/2008 : 07:43:44
quote:
Originally posted by Nordiques

quote:
Originally posted by Buddyno2000

Just another example of this ''Quebec proud'' in Montréal. Usually RDS ''French sports TV'' they never show the 3 game star after a game but the other day Latendresse got one and then Surprise!! They showed him so that is just another proof off what I was saying earlier. Just like they did in the last summer Olympics they had a Quebecers playing for the Canadian baseball team they just tuned to the game to show his AB and then back to whatever they were showing (I don’t remember what It was) So no wonder the Habs are having trouble to get good players, cause not many non Quebec players want’s to play there cause if you’re not French you’re gonna get a hard time being like by the fans and the media isn’t helping you either.

That's the reason why I hate to watch a game on RDS. If the same game is on TSN or Sportsnet, I will watch it on TSN or Sportsnet. Not only for the "three stars" at the end of the game, but the descriptor and the analyst are pro-Canadiens all the way, and have only good opinions on the Quebec-born players on the other teams. A shame...

For the olympics, I'll ask you something in summer 2008 in Beijing: watch competitions on the US network (NBC? I do not remember who have the rights). Americans, only americans in competitions are presented there.... So, every television network try to present what their audience want to see. For me, It's a kind of normal.

I can't seem to understand where you're getting this from because RDS always shows the 3 stars, unless I'm hallucinating of course, but I always stick around after the game to see the stars. There's always a commercial break before they show it so that's probably why you miss it. As for them being biased, I entirely disagree. If anyone is biased it would be TSN (a.k.a Toronto Sports Network) and Roger's Sportsnet. I honestly find RDS the most impartial station there is. They get just as excited when other teams score and they'll be the first to accuse the refs if the Habs get away with no penalty for something that should have been.
Guest6001 Posted - 04/04/2007 : 13:12:39
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

I read some of it (couldn't stand the rest) and man are they ever after Kovalev. A lot of them were going on about how they think that Kovalev was lying when he said he had the flu, saying that he was just being a p****... Then like 1 guy out of 80 posts comes in and says "Hey guys, he's not THAT bad..."

Yup they love their team alright...

One thing I never understood is why they refer to their team as "le Canadien" as if their team is only one person. It's grammatically wrong and just really sounds bad.

You're probably right, but why we call our team " le canadien"; it's beacause it's A team, that's why is singular (sorry for my english is so poor)

If you want a habs fans thinking and explanation there it is ;

First, the quebec french people are very proud of himself for his speaking and all the thing you know, we live in a better place, we are more intelligent... ( that's not what i'm thinking). And if you want to understand it's the reason why they (RDS) always talk about quebekers who play sport in the usa and not the whole team like russel martin and eric gagné, last that was the first time that two quebekers pithc the ball to a catcher that come from this province. We're proud of our speaking and that's why in the canadiens team, Cristobal Huet David Aebischer and Mark streit (from France to Switzerland) are so happy to work for this team, beacause they speak french and the history and the crowd are with them!

And for some of you that say that RDS are pro-canadiens that's true, but there absolutely not pro-french, They like the captain saku, they like Souray, they like Rivet (it's not there anymore) They like Johnsson too!
We like the players that's work Hard every game like Steve Bégin and Darcy Tucker ( the nearly same player ... but Tucker have good hands) not Like Kovalev who decide to play when he wants... sorry but when Guillaume Latendresse have the same amounts of goal each... there a problem right there, but we f***...g need Kovalev for the playoff!!!!

So i think that you are missing something and you will never understand... it's not because we speak frenc that we're separatist... There some french guy here (from media and crowd) that happy to be in Canada...
not myself. but i don't hate canada! lol
Buddyno2000 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 14:21:53
Thats true but we are talking about Country over here not pronvinces like RDS always do. Like i say thay showed a baseball player playing for a canadian team not the hole team thats what pisses me off.

Go leafs Go by the way
Mikhailova Posted - 03/19/2007 : 13:30:30
quote:
Originally posted by Nordiques

For the olympics, I'll ask you something in summer 2008 in Beijing: watch competitions on the US network (NBC? I do not remember who have the rights). Americans, only americans in competitions are presented there

Yes, it's NBC. I wouldn't say only Americans are presented, but you are right that they do show the audience the US athletes the majority of the time and tell you who they are and any records they hold/could break, but isn't that kind of expected? We live in the US, we want to know who our athletes are and cheer for them. But they do also run interviews with athletes from other countries if they win a medal and talk a lot about them if they are heavily favored in a competition. They did this with the Canadian speed skater Cindy Klassen and a couple of Finnish and Russian ice hockey players.
Nordiques Posted - 03/19/2007 : 11:40:00
quote:

Just another example of this ''Quebec proud'' in Montréal. Usually RDS ''French sports TV'' they never show the 3 game star after a game but the other day Latendresse got one and then Surprise!! They showed him so that is just another proof off what I was saying earlier. Just like they did in the last summer Olympics they had a Quebecers playing for the Canadian baseball team they just tuned to the game to show his AB and then back to whatever they were showing (I don’t remember what It was) So no wonder the Habs are having trouble to get good players, cause not many non Quebec players want’s to play there cause if you’re not French you’re gonna get a hard time being like by the fans and the media isn’t helping you either.

That's the reason why I hate to watch a game on RDS. If the same game is on TSN or Sportsnet, I will watch it on TSN or Sportsnet. Not only for the "three stars" at the end of the game, but the descriptor and the analyst are pro-Canadiens all the way, and have only good opinions on the Quebec-born players on the other teams. A shame...

For the olympics, I'll ask you something in summer 2008 in Beijing: watch competitions on the US network (NBC? I do not remember who have the rights). Americans, only americans in competitions are presented there.... So, every television network try to present what their audience want to see. For me, It's a kind of normal.
Nordiques Posted - 03/19/2007 : 11:32:07
Well... I'm living in Quebec and my first (and only? sorry by the way for my use of english) language is french. I'm not an huge Habs fan (and not really a huge fan of any other team in the NHL right now), but was a Quebec Nordiques fan back in their good and bad years.

Lots of things has been said on "Quebekers" and Habs fans in this thread, some are true stuff, but a lot are real crap.

First: it's true that a lot of "francophones" want more french guys on their team, but I really disagree on this. Back in 1987 or so, the Nordiques made the mistake to make several trades to bring Frenchies in Quebec City and.... you know the result. Five years in row out of the playoffs.

But I will ask you something: DO NOT THINK ALL QUEBECOIS ARE THINKING THE SAME WAY.

Now, for me, I don't really care if a guy is French, speak english, russian or zulu, or even sikh or gay, if this player makes his job on the team, he had to stay on that team. Period.

And no, IMHO, Kovalev won't be in Montreal next year. But I wish Koivu, Souray and Markov will stay.
Buddyno2000 Posted - 03/19/2007 : 10:06:49

Go leafs Go by the way
admin Posted - 03/15/2007 : 11:03:53
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

True, I can understand why they would want that, but what are the details exactly? They can't just deliberately load up on Quebecois players just because the team's in Montreal, they should choose based on who's qualified, not where they were born or what language they speak. But I could be completely off here, I don't know the details of what they're doing exactly, so I won't say too much.

I agree that they should load up on good players, regardless of where they were born. Teams go into a draft with different strategies. Some take the best player available, regardless of position, and others fill positional needs.

Hypothetical situation: The Habs get the first overall pick and the top ranked player is from Alberta. The second ranked player is a Montreal Native. Both are projected superstars. I bet the Habs take the Montreal Native every time.
admin Posted - 03/15/2007 : 09:51:21
Did you guys seriously just turn an intelligent conversation into a "Your team sucks" thread?

All stupid comments have been deleted.
Novie Posted - 03/15/2007 : 05:50:06
quote:
Originally posted by Saku Steen

Thanks for clearing that up Canucks Man.

Yeah, I was a bit confused until you mentioned that....now I see...

ANYWAY....I can Montreal having a tough time grabbing free agents if this continues. I always thought it would be a great place to play with all the history, great fans, and a decent organization.....but if the media is going to be on you for every little thing you do, now you're second guessing when your agent calls and says "Montreal has an offer in...it's $2mil more than the other guys...."

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Mikhailova Posted - 03/14/2007 : 15:46:39
True, I can understand why they would want that, but what are the details exactly? They can't just deliberately load up on Quebecois players just because the team's in Montreal, they should choose based on who's qualified, not where they were born or what language they speak. But I could be completely off here, I don't know the details of what they're doing exactly, so I won't say too much.
admin Posted - 03/14/2007 : 14:02:05
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

No team in the NHL has half its players come from the city it plays in. They're from everywhere from Canada to Finland to Indonesia (one of the Regehrs was actually born there). Filling the Habs with half Quebecois guys--please, that's gotta be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. The NHL's supposed to be about hockey, not provincial politics.

But Mik, it has been done before. Look at my above post. The Habs were given preferential treatment in order to load up on French Canadian Players.

If you look at the Montreal Market, it is beoming more difficult to attract quality free agents due to taxes, the media, and the fans.

Over the years, the Habs have had the majority of the great French Canadian players: Beliveau, Lafleur, Richard, Roy, etc. etc. The fans are used to winning with these home town guys. It is natural for them to want that now.
Mikhailova Posted - 03/14/2007 : 12:23:16
No team in the NHL has half its players come from the city it plays in. They're from everywhere from Canada to Finland to Indonesia (one of the Regehrs was actually born there). Filling the Habs with half Quebecois guys--please, that's gotta be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. The NHL's supposed to be about hockey, not provincial politics.

admin Posted - 03/14/2007 : 12:06:15
About the Habs fans wanting more Quebecious on the team - here is something I discvoered and msntioned on another thread:

In 1963 - the first entry draft held by the league and up to the 1969 draft, Montreal had option to take first two French-Canadian players before start of draft

They exercised this option in 69 taking Rejean Houle and Marc Tardif. Had the rule continued, they would have landed Gilbert Perreault in 1970.

I have not been able to find an exact reason why this occured, but assume that it happened in order for Montreal to have a mostly French Canadian Team.

Gotta run - I will continue my thoughts on this...
admin Posted - 03/14/2007 : 11:58:08
Great topic!

Here is some news on Kovalev:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=200082&hubname=

He is apparantley suffering from potential career ending Vertigo. What is Vertigo you ask - I had to look it up to be sure:

Vertigo - the sensation of spinning or whirling that occurs as a result of a disturbance in balance (equilibrium). It also may be used to describe feelings of dizziness, lightheadedness, faintness, and unsteadiness.
Vertigo usually occurs as a result of a disorder in the vestibular system (i.e., structures of the inner ear, the vestibular nerve, brainstem, and cerebellum).

So the fans on the forums might be wrong about him faking the illness.

Novie Posted - 03/14/2007 : 05:15:35
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

That guy is obviously an idiot and is probably a separatist too. Case and point of some Quebecers who don't know that there is a world outside their province.

I thought it was funny a couple summers ago when I went on a double-decker bus tour of Ottawa, and as we were crossing the bridge to go into Hull, the tour guide goes "Alright everyone, take out your passports!". Gotta love that!

Classic....O Canada

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/13/2007 : 11:07:44
quote:

''C'est pas les québécois qui ont jouer comme des twits, comme tu dis, c'est Koivu et Souray, le CH a besoin de plus de Québécois, point à la ligne, ça fait plus de 13 ans qu'on fait comme tu dis dans ton texte et regarde les résultats, nothing, c'est les Québécois qui vont ramener la parade sur la Ste-Catherine!''

Moderator edit:
Here is Bablaboushka's translation, because the copy-pasted one here before sucked and made no sense:

'' It wasn't the Québécois who played like twits, as you say, it was Koivu and Souray. The Habs needs more Québécois, period. We've been doing like you say in your text for more than 13 years and look at the results, nothing! We need Québécois to bring back the parade to Ste-Catherine Street! ''

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
The_only_Odelein_fan Posted - 03/13/2007 : 10:25:21
Some people in quebec are weird. I dont know what they think of but it's not a good thing to focus on the players from quebec. Where not in the 50's wake up. It's related to the separtism of Quebec but they will never separate anyway so. If one day the team change name for "Les Québécois" it will be no more Habs for me.

Lyle Odelein is a god!
bablaboushka Posted - 03/13/2007 : 10:11:31
That guy is obviously an idiot and is probably a separatist too. Case and point of some Quebecers who don't know that there is a world outside their province.

I thought it was funny a couple summers ago when I went on a double-decker bus tour of Ottawa, and as we were crossing the bridge to go into Hull, the tour guide goes "Alright everyone, take out your passports!". Gotta love that!
Buddyno2000 Posted - 03/13/2007 : 10:02:12
Well there's so many of them but here's one I found, (just going to quote it, its gonna be easier) I found this one in the ''Les Canadiens n'ont pas besoin de Québécois dans leur équipes pour gagner!'' Forum. the guy who made this forum tryed to make the point that they dont need Quebec players but he got answered quickely.

posted by : dre
Montréal
''C'est pas les québécois qui ont jouer comme des twits, comme tu dis, c'est Koivu et Souray, le CH a besoin de plus de Québécois, point à la ligne, ça fait plus de 13 ans qu'on fait comme tu dis dans ton texte et regarde les résultats, nothing, c'est les Québécois qui vont ramener la parade sur la Ste-Catherine!''

but if you know anyone who had lesten to RDS on tv before they will tell you that it's true or ask someone from montreal they might not think that way but they will know what I'm talking about.

Go leafs Go by the way
bablaboushka Posted - 03/13/2007 : 09:58:46
I read some of it (couldn't stand the rest) and man are they ever after Kovalev. A lot of them were going on about how they think that Kovalev was lying when he said he had the flu, saying that he was just being a p****... Then like 1 guy out of 80 posts comes in and says "Hey guys, he's not THAT bad..."

Yup they love their team alright...

One thing I never understood is why they refer to their team as "le Canadien" as if their team is only one person. It's grammatically wrong and just really sounds bad.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/13/2007 : 08:38:57
Hey Buddy, help me out a bit. Tell me which topic it is. I can't read French for S%*# but I will google translate the topic thing. Just point me in the direction.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Buddyno2000 Posted - 03/13/2007 : 05:55:57
I’m a 100% with you Novie

If any of you can read French and don’t believe me or just want to laugh a bit go see these French forums
http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/AffichageForum?loc=/canadien/forum/&cssid=canadien&fk=313

Go leafs Go by the way
Novie Posted - 03/13/2007 : 05:37:54
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9312

I just want to get you thought about Habs fans, let me explain, what I mean by that is that I keep earring them say that the Habs should have more player from Quebec some even say it should be a 50/50 thing. I ear that from the French guys from Quebec so I don't know if it's the same for the English. So lets see what you guys have to say.

Dumbest idea EVER. Are you kidding me? Hey, how about the Dallas Stars have to have half their team made up of Texas natives...or how about hockey players from Miami for the Panthers? Just another example of Quebec being stupid. It's not like french players don't have opportunity to go elsewhere. Does having a bilingual staff have something to do with it?

That being said, I look at Samsonov and Kovalev, and I ask why would any non-french player WANT to play in Montreal with all the media bull$#!t they have to deal with.

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Buddyno2000 Posted - 03/13/2007 : 04:59:28
That Was me fogot to log

Go leafs Go by the way

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page