Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Introductions
 Something interesting about your hockey career...

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bablaboushka Posted - 01/07/2007 : 18:15:16
Well I just discovered this new forum, so I might as well get it going:

Share something that happened to you during your hockey career that you'll never forget. Ever score a SH hat-trick? Score on more than one penalty shot in a game? Play against someone who's now an NHL star? What's something everyone would be interested in knowing about you?

Well I never resist the urge to brag about my story. Having grown up in Winnipeg, MB and being the same age as Jonathan Toews, I played a few games against him when I was a goalie.

Ironically, Toews grew up in the Dakota district of Winnipeg (he now plays for the University of North Dakota). It was the largest district that had a team in our league, on top of being one of the "higher end" areas of Winnipeg. Needless to say that team dominated us, a more working-class area that didn't have near the numbers that Dakota had. When I was 8 and 9, our team played theirs in both season-openers, where we lost 12-1 in both games. Back then, there were two hockey players at our age-level in Winnipeg that were thought to become very successful players when they got older: one of my teammates Ryan DePape (who now plays for the Prince Albert Raiders) and of course Mr. Toews.

So anyways, those two losses might not look too good on me as a goalie but Dakota was a whole different caliber team. One might also assume that Toews scored maybe 6 or 7 of those goals per game on me, but this is the interesting part: HE DID NOT SCORE ONE GOAL IN EITHER GAME. The minor detail is that in both games (a lot of striking similarities), he was kicked out for checking from behind. But shh, that's just a technicality.

I played one more game against him in 1998, when we were 10. We were on different Provincial Elite Major Novice teams (Novice AAAA they called it) and it was the Gold Medal game of a tournament. I didn't get the start but ended up finishing the last 5 min. of the game when our other goalie got pulled. Toews was on the other team but never scored on me then either.

I now brag to the Atom kids I coach that Toews got his fine shootout skills from all that practice on me, but for some reason they don't believe me...?
31   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nux-suk Posted - 03/04/2010 : 11:51:53
Aging myself in here as well!!
I played hockey in Kamloops growing up & was lucky enough to play with Mark Recchi for a few seasons. I played in a tourney in Coquitlam where alot of the guys who where there went on to play pro. Guys like Sakic, Recchi, and others who I cant recall without my old programs. Fat Elvis was right about our tournet in Kamloops, it has seen many players from that tourney go on, most notably Mario Lamieux. Cool topic!!
rross Posted - 03/03/2010 : 10:17:27
I played against Paul Kariya in Junior A, 1991-1992 I played for the Nanaimo Clippers and he was on the Penticton Panthers. One game he scored 3 goals(I am a goalie) on me. I blew my knee out after the season and was unable to continue my competitive career, but continued in non-competive leagues. Also, my uncle ran a gas station in Montreal where some of the Canadiens would frequent. I got to go to Guy Lafleurs house to meet him in 1980. And most recently, I play against Doug Bodger from time to time in a men's league on Vancouver Island.

Go Habs Go!!
Bent-Wookie Posted - 03/03/2010 : 09:46:16
My biggest hockey moment came when I played against a former NHL player/convict... on the Super Nintendo. When Mike Danton used to play for the Quinte Hawks, some crappy defunct team from Deseronto, my grandma housed him. I'm one of the few who can claim to have played Donkey Kong Country 2 against the infamous Mike Danton.
freddyboy Posted - 02/26/2010 : 21:20:02
i never really played hockey in a team. unfortunately, because my parents didn't have that much money, but i have a few stories.

In summer 2008 i was doing rollerblade in the streets of montreal and i almost got hit by a car. the driver turn out to be Alexei Kovalev. i actually broke the front light of his car with my knee and it hurted so much, but the pain was worth it because he felt sorry he almost ran over me,and gave me two tickets for season opener .

The second time i went (legally) drinking in a bar, i saw Maxim Lapierre and Guillaume Latendresse. I took a beer with them and it was really nice.

When i was 4 years old my dad brought me to Quebec city and he said that he had a surprise for me. I met Joe Sakic, even if i didn't really know who he was and speak no english (i'm french), after a practice and he gave me his hockey jersey and signed it. Probably the reason why from that day he was my favorite player...

At seven i won a contest at school and i went to the Bell Center to skate with the Canadiens. i've skate with Saku Koivu, Patrice Brisebois, Vincent Damphousse and Vladimir Malhakov.

I guess you guys figure out i'm from Montreal :P

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
irvine Posted - 02/26/2010 : 17:09:40
I have no personal games against guys who are now playing pro hockey, although I do know some who play.

My brother is an aquaintance of Randy Jones (NHL D-man) now playing for the LA Kings. My cousin actually played minor hockey against him growing up, where my cousin could have moved along with him. Providing, my cousin never got in to drugs. Ruining his hockey career, forever.

My brothers former coach, and teammates father was drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks (Stephen Ough), but blew out a knee and never really had a chance to play from there on. He now runs a school in the city, for young hockey players.

I have met these guys several times, including plenty of guys who now play in the NHL. My favorite of a long list, was Marty St Louis. I met a lot of these guys while playing for the Saint John Flames, of the AHL. We all shared the same Doctor.

And, now I share a Doctor and physio therapist with the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL, so I meet a lot of these guys while there.

Irvine/prez.
MrD Posted - 02/04/2009 : 15:55:48
Some pretty cool stories in this thread! I've been skating for almost as long as I've been walking, and have played hockey for over 20 years. I've never played against future NHLers so I don't have any crazy stories there, but I do have a couple of memorable games/tourneys/years.

My team in Novice, composed almost entirely of first year kids (almost all returning players for that age level got cut because the up and coming crop of us wee guys had lots of skill for our size) ran an undefeated season. We played in 11 tourneys, two of which were in the US where we were the only Canadian team, and we won 'em all. Then in the final game of our division playoffs, we lost to a team that we had clobbered 2 times previously that year. Tough loss for a bunch of little guys.

During my university days in Ptbo, I got into a cross-Canada artists hockey league called the Good Times Hockey League based out of T.O. Every year the league hosts the Carleton Cup in Ottawa were they hold a Skate-Run-Drink-athon on the canal and DT Ottawa in the market. That afternoon there is an all-star game played on an outdoor rink. One year I centered the 1st line where one of my wingers was Chris Murphy (the singer from Sloan) and a D man was Tyler Stewart (drummer from Barenaked Ladies). I had nothing cool to tell them about my musical career as compared to theirs but it was still a cool experience.

Currently I'm running the Nunavik Youth Hockey Development Program in Ivujuivik, QC. It's the program that Joe Juneau started up here in northern Quebec. There was a spot about it on Hockey Night in Canada. Joe's a great guy and really cares a great deal about the kids up here in the arctic where there ain't much to do but eat, sleep, and dream hockey. It's pretty rewarding to see these kids improve day by day, and the drive and ambition they have to be the next Tootoo's of the NHL.

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/04/2009 : 12:06:51
One that stands out for me was when I was a Bantam age player and our team was selected to go to the Kamloops International Bantam Ice Hockey Tournament, which was as prestigious a bantam tournament as there was. In that tourney there were numerous kds that went on to NHL careers, Doug Bodger, Mark Tinordi, Wayne Presley, Alfie Turcotte to name a few.

We were a very good team, and I was team captain, and a farily decent defenceman, physical, well postioned and a good skater.
In our quarter final game on the A side of the draw, we met a team from Burnaby, BC, a local league team from Vancouver, not an all-star team like some of the others from Detroit, L.A. etc.

Our colors were the old LA Kings colors, gold and purple..ugh. I know.
For this game though we should have been wearing pylon orange as we got beat 15-3, with future NHLer CLiff Ronning getting 13 points alone. He and his team won the tourney and he was named MVP. Nice to know that I got embarrased by a future NHLer at least.

Hockey wise I was blessed to have played with and against may NHLers growing up. Regina and Saskatchewan were hockey hotbeds in the late 70's, lots of talent.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 02/04/2009 : 10:42:38
I went to high school with Matt Stajan. I never got to play on the varsity team with him but I have a few close friends who did. They say he was far from the best player on the team and was even too shy to shower and change with the boys. Everyone else on the team ended up partying all the time and eventually dropped hockey, he went home and practiced his ass off. We all know what happened from there.

My best friends bro played with Jason Spezza on the Mississauga Braves for a couple seasons as well, apparently my buddy said he was better than him then, but alas, the drinking and his social life ended up dominating. Spezza on the other hand, well, you know.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Oilking Posted - 02/04/2009 : 08:43:38
Aging myself a little I was a first year junior player and had Keith Brown as a dman and clint malarchuk was our goalie I didn't do much and then had a tryout for an AHL team but got into an accident broke my back so hockey was done. Best memory from hockey even though it hurt got into a fight with a bully named Mark messier as I told off his dad who was the coach of the Saints. Other than that love hockey but hate the Oilers coach MacT.

Oh well here we go again
fly4apuckguy Posted - 05/03/2007 : 23:47:43
My career highlights...

I spent a little time in major junior with the Prince Albert Raiders, and was lucky enough to get to play a bit with Mike Modano. He was about 50 times faster than me, and at the time I thought I was pretty fast.

I scored a goal on my very first shift of intermediate hockey, and then only played one more shift that game and got an assist (nice coach, huh?).

In my last year of novice, I had 76 goals and 0 assists. In fact, I was the only guy on the team that got a goal that year. My dad was the coach, and I still have the game sheets.

I scored 24 goals in one day once (three games 9-6-9) in a tournament. We won.

I scored 7 goals in the third period of a novice game once and we won the game 7-5.

My first goal in bantam was a deflection off of my face (I had a mask on, luckily).

I played a game against Mike Sillinger when we were in atom and I outscored him 6 points to 3. He's made up for it, though.

In my last year of pee-wee, I had 106 goals and 68 assists in 42 games, and they gave the most valuable player award to our goalie. That was 25 years ago, and I'm still pissed about it.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
hithere311 Posted - 03/27/2007 : 04:11:26
I was also born in LA, California. And I love hockey!! So I guess that makes two of us Mikhailova. But we moved quite recently to Edmonton, so that helps fuel my hockey fire. I also love B-Ball, obviously because of the southern california location. My favorite teams are the red wings, devils and rangers.

I have 3 hockey stories. First was growing up in the LA hills and playing street hockey with the neighborhood kids, Ducks vs Kings (I was on the ducks side). I guess I love hockey 'cause my dad is canadian. The second story is getting knockout by a hit by some HUGE guy at the local rink here in Edmonton. The third is getting to meet a bunch of the former oilers, like Bill Guerin and Todd Marchant, because one of my good friend's dad played for the oilers a while ago.
framer87 Posted - 03/17/2007 : 20:02:59
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

quote:

He still runs that, nice! I was 9 when I went there, which means 10 years ago. Good guy.

Is it still at the Highlander?

Yup

That is my favourite rink in life. I hope there is a Highlander in heaven for when I die.

It actually changed this year though it was at maples.(which sucked)
bablaboushka Posted - 03/16/2007 : 18:09:39
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

quote:

He still runs that, nice! I was 9 when I went there, which means 10 years ago. Good guy.

Yup

That is my favourite rink in life. I hope there is a Highlander in heaven for when I die.
leigh Posted - 03/16/2007 : 16:20:04
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

....I am a lucky man that my friends were there to pull him off of me quickly because even at the age of 15, Todd Fedoruk was one tough guy.

Beans that was awesome!

Here is my story, I won the MVP trophy when I was 5. It's no fun peaking in atoms.
semin-rules Posted - 03/16/2007 : 15:50:00
quote:

Yup

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
bablaboushka Posted - 03/16/2007 : 15:23:45

framer87 Posted - 03/16/2007 : 14:07:16
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by framer87

quote:

Would he by chance be the son of Rick St. Croix?

Yup.

That's awesome! I went to his goalie camp when I was still a goalie and still lived in Winnipeg. Turns out he's like my 4th cousin or something and my great aunt used to babysit him. Small world.

I still go to his goalie camp!
bablaboushka Posted - 03/16/2007 : 12:38:30
quote:
Originally posted by framer87

quote:

Yup.

That's awesome! I went to his goalie camp when I was still a goalie and still lived in Winnipeg. Turns out he's like my 4th cousin or something and my great aunt used to babysit him. Small world.
oil guy Posted - 03/16/2007 : 08:35:10
I actually did not play hockey as a kid. But I went to school with Dean Mcammond and my moms Maid of honor was Kyle Maclarens mom so we kind of grew up together, even though we were in different towns, we still hung out together quite a bit growing up.
-oil-country- Posted - 03/15/2007 : 14:22:23
It's not that interesting but i played a game against Kevin Lowes kid.
framer87 Posted - 03/15/2007 : 14:10:22
quote:

Yup.
semin-rules Posted - 03/15/2007 : 14:09:05
I was playing AA hockey and i got checked into the boards awkwardly and i felt some pain in my arm but just kept on playing, i scored 2 goals in that game and my arm started gettin really sore so i had to leave for the 3rd period and my arm was broken in 2 places....
My broken arm helped me score some goals

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Saku Steen Posted - 03/15/2007 : 05:02:17
In a tournament called 'the joe' I was away and I came back with one game left. It was in novice, but still, with 1:07 left we were down 4-2. It was my turn and I went out and scored 3 goals to win 5-4. I t was pretty sweet.
bablaboushka Posted - 03/14/2007 : 18:56:10
framer87 Posted - 03/14/2007 : 18:48:11
quote:

Share something that happened to you during your hockey career that you'll never forget. Ever score a SH hat-trick? Score on more than one penalty shot in a game? Play against someone who's now an NHL star? What's something everyone would be interested in knowing about you?

Well I never resist the urge to brag about my story. Having grown up in Winnipeg, MB and being the same age as Jonathan Toews, I played a few games against him when I was a goalie.

Ironically, Toews grew up in the Dakota district of Winnipeg (he now plays for the University of North Dakota). It was the largest district that had a team in our league, on top of being one of the "higher end" areas of Winnipeg. Needless to say that team dominated us, a more working-class area that didn't have near the numbers that Dakota had. When I was 8 and 9, our team played theirs in both season-openers, where we lost 12-1 in both games. Back then, there were two hockey players at our age-level in Winnipeg that were thought to become very successful players when they got older: one of my teammates Ryan DePape (who now plays for the Prince Albert Raiders) and of course Mr. Toews.

So anyways, those two losses might not look too good on me as a goalie but Dakota was a whole different caliber team. One might also assume that Toews scored maybe 6 or 7 of those goals per game on me, but this is the interesting part: HE DID NOT SCORE ONE GOAL IN EITHER GAME. The minor detail is that in both games (a lot of striking similarities), he was kicked out for checking from behind. But shh, that's just a technicality.

I played one more game against him in 1998, when we were 10. We were on different Provincial Elite Major Novice teams (Novice AAAA they called it) and it was the Gold Medal game of a tournament. I didn't get the start but ended up finishing the last 5 min. of the game when our other goalie got pulled. Toews was on the other team but never scored on me then either.

I now brag to the Atom kids I coach that Toews got his fine shootout skills from all that practice on me, but for some reason they don't believe me...?

That's weird, when my brother was 10 and 12 he also played against Toews. Right now the only person I can think of that might make the NHL that I played against is Mike St. Croix. He's 13 playing in a 14 year old AAA(highest level possible) and is leading the league in points and goals. I am a goalie so I have been undressed by him a few times but I remember one time when I made a huge glove save against him I felt so proud of myself.
Mikhailova Posted - 01/08/2007 : 16:48:52
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

So, I would skate and stake and stake. Forwards, backwards, cross overs, I was the best skater around. But I could never figure out how to stop. A friend of mine came to the rink one day, and it was just the two of us. (The rink was pretty small and there was no hockey allowed, just an outdoor public rink) and this guy could really play hockey. For a small town of 2000 people, this was the guy. He was the best around. He watched me skate for a while and realized that I could't stop. He took it upon himself to teach me how to stop.
.... I am a lucky man that my friends were there to pull him off of me quickly because even at the age of 15, Todd Fedoruk was one tough guy.

Wow Beans...very interesting story!
Mikhailova Posted - 01/08/2007 : 16:45:26
quote:

That's interesting: a 17 year-old female American who loves hockey so much that she's a member of an online forum where she's able to deliver a much more refreshing opinion than half the Canadian male members can. Talk about your not-so-average American teenager! We need more of those in the world...

Heh heh thanks babs
I agree--we need more not-so-average teenagers in the world...and more hockey fans!
Beans15 Posted - 01/08/2007 : 15:50:55
Here is a story of my almost hockey career. I grew up in a small town in North Central Alberta. My parents never really had the money to put me in hockey, but when I was about 12, my parents said if I wanted to play the next year, they would figure out a way. So, I started going to the out door rink everyday trying to get better at skating. I knew that if I had a shot at playing at all, I needed to skate well.

So, I would skate and stake and stake. Forwards, backwards, cross overs, I was the best skater around. But I could never figure out how to stop. A friend of mine came to the rink one day, and it was just the two of us. (The rink was pretty small and there was no hockey allowed, just an outdoor public rink) and this guy could really play hockey. For a small town of 2000 people, this was the guy. He was the best around. He watched me skate for a while and realized that I could't stop. He took it upon himself to teach me how to stop. Well, I bet we spent about 6 hours doing nothing but teach me how to stop. Not sure what it was, but I just couldn't figure it out. He finally got upset and called my some choice names(none I should put here but they all could be defined at "your an idiot") and he left. To this day I can not stop on skates or skis. Just can't get the angles right I guess.

It didn't ruin our friendship but I realized I would never be a hockey player. I started playing basketball instead. I got pretty good at that. And that same guy who tried to teach me how to stop on skates was a decent basketball player too, although that was I sport I was better than him at. He and I even came to blows on the court one time because we are both very competative. I am a lucky man that my friends were there to pull him off of me quickly because even at the age of 15, Todd Fedoruk was one tough guy.

I haven't seen him in a long time, but I still bring out the story on how Todd couldn't teach me how to stop and how he got the better of me in a fight.

bablaboushka Posted - 01/08/2007 : 15:11:19
That's interesting: a 17 year-old female American who loves hockey so much that she's a member of an online forum where she's able to deliver a much more refreshing opinion than half the Canadian male members can. Talk about your not-so-average American teenager! We need more of those in the world...
Mikhailova Posted - 01/08/2007 : 13:06:47
Wow, that is pretty cool that you got to play against Toews. There's nothing that exciting about my hockey career, but I do know this one kid at my school (he's a Sharks fan, babs ) who's extremely good at hockey and said he went to Sweden over the summer to do something involved with the US junior team. Some highlights from rec hockey were scoring this hat trick where the third goal won the game with 4 seconds left to go, and scoring a few weird-yet-impressive goals. There've been others but those are the most exciting.

About my forum name--it's a nickname one of my friends gave me after seeing Miracle, in reference to Boris Mikhailov. He was on the Russian team the US played against in 1980, and was a skilled, intimidating player. My friend seemed to think I played hockey like Mikhailov so he gave me the nickname "Mikhailova"...in Russian you can add an A to the end of a last name to make it female.

That's it. Who's next?
1 Crosby fan Posted - 01/07/2007 : 18:26:30
quote:

cool you used to play with Toews

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page